Favorite occ at level 1

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Favorite occ at level 1

Unread post by say652 »

Using any Rifts dimension book or Rifts Earth source book, what are is your favorite and why?

Wolfen Quatoria.
All around solid occ, good skills and a great borg frame.
Very little tweaking required to really munch them up.
flatline
Knight

Re: Favorite occ at level 1

Unread post by flatline »

Temporal Wizard

Being able to select 4 spells from any level immediately gives you access to tools that most spell casters are at the whim of the GM to acquire (Talisman, for example).
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

flatline wrote:Temporal Wizard

Being able to select 4 spells from any level immediately gives you access to tools that most spell casters are at the whim of the GM to acquire (Talisman, for example).

I read both I think the Temporal Warrior is better especially if you stay the full time.

The Temporal wizard is great even leaving at first level, but the AutoDodge was the deciding factor for me.
flatline
Knight

say652 wrote:

I read both I think the Temporal Warrior is better especially if you stay the full time.

The Temporal wizard is great even leaving at first level, but the AutoDodge was the deciding factor for me.

Auto Dodge is nice if someone is attacking you. I prefer to not be attacked in the first place.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Technically an RCC; the Zembahk mind-worm. It comes with a huge variety of magic and psychic powers (ever expanding really since it "intuitively knows all level one through five magic spells"), which makes it a valuable addition to any group of characters. My favorite part though is the challenge of playing a character without arms or legs that can't speak and doesn't start with a language. Literally everything has to be done via the creature's supernatural powers and communicating with other characters generally involves a lot of description and pantomime.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Earthworm Tim!!

+5 xp for the unique choice.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I gotta say my Temporal Wizard was my most favorite Rifts O.C.C., but not from a level 1 perspective. For that I'd have to go with the Body-Fixer. My favorite first level character was a traveling Body-Fixer. I loved how he had the right skills to represent his travels, his self-sufficiency and his past. What I didn't like was how useless an S.D.C. doctor with regular medical skills was to my Rifts group. But as an adventurer/scholar the Body Fixer can get super powers per the first Conversion Book if needed, and that can increase his usefulness dramatically.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Do we get to pick Race? or are we judging OCC's solely by themselves assuming a human default? Some OCC's are skewed heavily by what race takes them.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Any level one but out of the book, you only get the written occ stuff etc.

Imma Dogboy, cool.

Imma half Dragon sea Inquisitor of Valhalla from Psyscape who went to officer school fought in the psi battalion Berzerker with the Yggdrasil gift of knowledge,
Then no.
Fell
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Fell »

say652 wrote:Any level one but out of the book, you only get the written occ stuff etc.

Imma Dogboy, cool.

Imma half Dragon sea Inquisitor of Valhalla from Psyscape who went to officer school fought in the psi battalion Berzerker with the Yggdrasil gift of knowledge,
Then no.

What? Seriously? That happened to my character right before he married Splynncryth's daughter. Our offspring are awesome.

Temporal Wizard also a fav of mine.
I love playing Psi Stalkers.

Partial to the Cold Blooded too.

So I guess I'll go: Cold Blooded.

Geez, Say652, once we all give our answers you better be running a champaign for us ;)
Dan Frederick
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Sure.

On the unofficial forums Facebook group.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

So three Temporal wizards and a White Tiger Shock Trooper carrying a long single eyed worm on his shoulder walk into a bar......
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

tourist :lol: :P
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

While the three wizards spread across time and space all at the exact moment get a flash, a vision perhaps. A godly voice booms in your brain "Find Tim, he is the key."

Snarfer the White Tiger borg kneeled stealthily in the snow, the two brodkil guards grumbled to each other over the cold unaware death was so close...

Tim rested in the warm cabin not knowing what the evil necromancer had in store for him, he felt a metal man close, he wondered if the wizards heard his plee...
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Scarecrow Mystic Knight.

A scarecrow is an ageless, immortal being, can take any Man of Magic OCC including Mystic-types, albiet they need double XP to level but that's not relevent as we are talking about level 1.

A scarecrow can only be killed by fire. they can be cut, smashed, exploded or otherwise destroyed, but they always regenerate to full health in a matter of hours, even if they are vaporized and blown to dust. the only thing that can permanently kill them is fire, otherwise they will always reform and regenerate even from nothing.

A Mystic Knight is impervious to all energy, specifically including fire, plasma, and magic fire.

Thus a Scarecrow Mystic Knight is a true immortal. there is littearlly nothing in exitance that can kill them. no matter what they will always regenerate to full no matter how much damage they take.
Last edited by Nekira Sudacne on Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Still vulnerable to magic, as most immunities are trumped by magic. But i am kind half damage from fire spells on a failed save. Though under megahero your powers do not repeat DO NOT protect against weakness.
flatline
Knight

Yeah, before FoM introduced the Mystic Knight, everyone wanted to play a Scarecrow Fire Warlock for pretty much the exact same reason...

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

How would you gain xp if you are never in danger of losing? Adult dragons are minor menaces.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

say652 wrote:Still vulnerable to magic, as most immunities are trumped by magic. But i am kind half damage from fire spells on a failed save. Though under megahero your powers do not repeat DO NOT protect against weakness.

Umm...this isn't a megahero. This is a book standard race+occ available to that race.

Also, the mystic knights invunerability to energy specifically includes magic energy and magic fire. This is not a mega hero so mega hero rules don't apply.
say652 wrote:How would you gain xp if you are never in danger of losing? Adult dragons are minor menaces.

This is a level 1 favorite. so how does it matter to this topic how you'd gain any levels?

Also, skill use, clever ideas, saving others but not yourself all gain XP even if you are in no physical danger.
Last edited by Nekira Sudacne on Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

flatline wrote:Yeah, before FoM introduced the Mystic Knight, everyone wanted to play a Scarecrow Fire Warlock for pretty much the exact same reason...

Fire warlocks are not immune to mega damage or magic fire, though, so they could still die.

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Just because you can't die, doesn't mean your eternal life can't suck like nothing has sucked before.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Fell
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Fell »

Alrik Vas wrote:Just because you can't die, doesn't mean your eternal life can't suck like nothing has sucked before.

Maybe but I'll still take eternal life :)
Dan Frederick
Fermat
Explorer

Unread post by Fermat »

Since munchkinism has been broached, how about a (MegaJuicer or Godling) bestowed by the book of heroes with: (Super Speed or Giant Size Growth or Shapeshifter), (Impervious to Magic or Magic Spell Caster), Superpowerful, Raw Power, Universal Being, EE: Plasma Bolts, Multiple Powers, Flight (Wingless), and Psychic Savant. All technically legal.

Non-munchkin, I like playing with Technowizardy, especially if I'm allowed to have a device or two to start. Good base in skills, psi, and magic with room to grow and play.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Scarecrow is not a recommended occ according to cb1. Dq
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

say652 wrote:Scarecrow is not a recommended occ according to cb1. Dq

Nothing in their writeup says they are an NPC only race like several other races or classes. Not recommended does not say banned. It just means it's optional; In fact it gives the modified experiance necessary and says what OCC's are available for players to take in Rifts, which clearly means they are intended for use just with a note that they are tricky for players to handle. the fact that a GM could choose to ban it (like any other class) in his games anyway dosn't make it an offical restriction. recommendations are not rulings.

Also, sinse when did you have the authority to disqualify my personal favorite. You asked for my opinion and you got it. :lol:
Last edited by Nekira Sudacne on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:42 am, edited 6 times in total.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

How do you disqualify someone's opinion? This topic is about people's favorite O.C.C. to have at first level, not about whether or not a specific G.M. would allow that O.C.C..

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

O.C.C. "favorites" for level 1 so far:

• Temporal Wizard
  • Zembahk Mind-worm
  • Body-Fixer, possibly with super powers
  • Cold Blooded
  • Scarecrow Mystic Knight

Let's keep them coming!

42dragon
Explorer

Unread post by 42dragon »

Werebeast (with GM approval) Psi-Slayer
or Temporal Wizard
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Scarecrow says not recommended as a player character.

Werebeasts, have natural psionics but! I like this concept enough to flesh it out.

Major Super Powers.
Lycanthropy:Players choice..
Intangibility.

Minors.
Radar.
Supervision x ray.
Flight Wingless.

And you can pick an adventurer occ such as,

Super Cs Ranger.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Are not Were-people Creatures of Magic? Which cannot get superpowers in rifts&3G?
Are there not CC restrictions to who can get superpowers in rifts?
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

say652 wrote:Scarecrow says not recommended as a player character.

Werebeasts, have natural psionics but! I like this concept enough to flesh it out.

Major Super Powers.
Lycanthropy:Players choice..
Intangibility.

Minors.
Radar.
Supervision x ray.
Flight Wingless.

And you can pick an adventurer occ such as,

Super Cs Ranger.

Yeah, that's nothing like what was described.

42dragon
Explorer

Unread post by 42dragon »

Um, no that is not even close Say.

Werebeast RCC (really a race) have natural psionics (therefore psionic potential is there). Using the Rifters (unofficial) and now Rift's VK sourcebook (official) some tribes of werecreatures can get OCC's. Since they have psionic potential, and possibly can choose an OCC (here the GM call comes in) then take the basic Psi-Slayer OCC from Psyscape.

This makes a really fun, psychic hunter/assassin.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Are not Were-people Creatures of Magic? Which cannot get superpowers in rifts&3G?

I used the major super power of Lycanthropy to legalize a nifty idear.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

say652 wrote:
Imma half Dragon sea Inquisitor of Valhalla from Psyscape who went to officer school fought in the psi battalion Berzerker with the Yggdrasil gift of knowledge.

I believe this covers my thoughts on the were scarecrow temporal cosmo warrior of Psyscape who finished officer school in Valhalla Yggdrasil gift of knowledge rune Smith Demigod occ.

No.
Rules.
One playable occ,pcc,rcc,power category, etc.

Book Page Number, by the game as written sometimes you can have two, I do not care what your gm says, book references only.

Please.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Example character.

Quick Flex Alien(page 205 Coalition War Campaign) Master Assassin(page23 Rifts Mercenaries)

Pike.
Quick Flex Master Assassin.
Level 1.
Anarchist alignment.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

42dragon wrote:Werebeast (with GM approval) Psi-Slayer
or Temporal Wizard

Which werebeast would you choose? As a Psi-Slayer they become a P.P.E. vampire, which is quite intriguing for me to consider on a were creature.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

say652 wrote:Example character.

Quick Flex Alien(page 205 Coalition War Campaign) Master Assassin(page23 Rifts Mercenaries)

Pike.
Quick Flex Master Assassin.
Level 1.
Anarchist alignment.

You already posted your favorite. Give other folks a turn.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

flatline wrote:
say652 wrote:

Auto Dodge is nice if someone is attacking you. I prefer to not be attacked in the first place.

Yeah, it really depends on what you're looking to play. The Warrior is much more combat oriented, but at the expense of magical training. I'm also not sure how to best translate their spell casting drawback into the Rifts: Ultimate Edition rules. The Temporal Wizard I see as more of an outside-the-box problem solver. A much more cerebral character, with the power and skills (potentially, as they level up) to match. The Wizards were the planners and thinkers, supporting the Raiders. The Warriors were the muscle, taught just enough to be barely useful to the Raider's team.

Also Say, since it's a level 1 character, you can't choose to take an O.C.C. at a higher level. The O.C.C.'s need to be considered at level 1 - which means autododge can't a factor in this decision.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

say652 wrote:
say652 wrote:
Imma half Dragon sea Inquisitor of Valhalla from Psyscape who went to officer school fought in the psi battalion Berzerker with the Yggdrasil gift of knowledge.

I believe this covers my thoughts on the were scarecrow temporal cosmo warrior of Psyscape who finished officer school in Valhalla Yggdrasil gift of knowledge rune Smith Demigod occ.

No.
Rules.
One playable occ,pcc,rcc,power category, etc.

Book Page Number, by the game as written sometimes you can have two, I do not care what your gm says, book references only.

Please.

No-one submitted a character even remotely similar to what was described in blue, above. I'm not sure what's going on here (par for the course in some of these topics) but I'm beginning to suspect that this thread may not actually be about collecting people's thoughts on their favorite O.C.C. to have at level 1...

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Just grab one book, and boom character done.

Let's play, twenty minute character creation.
Gm,looks at book -_- "you're good" move along "Next"

The reason I am polling is in an attempt secure several new and returning players, the moon is in the seventh house type schedule lineup.

I am securing new players.
Who are experienced role players but new to Palladium.
These are requests I am trying to line up in advance.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

say652 wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Are not Were-people Creatures of Magic? Which cannot get superpowers in rifts&3G?

Then they are not were-people and all that talk about were-people having natural psionics are null and void because you changed the core basis of the char. With the only powers the char has, are the hero ones.
---------

I think you should of kept the topic about just the Char Classes. Letting in anything about race has turned it into Just another topic about min-maxing the Race-CC.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
say652 wrote:

Then they are not were-people and all that talk about were-people having natural psionics are null and void because you changed the core basis of the char. With the only powers the char has, are the hero ones.
---------

I think you should of kept the topic about just the Char Classes. Letting in anything about race has turned it into Just another topic about min-maxing the Race-CC.

Correct good kitty.

But it still has to stay around that twenty minute character creation time.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Hi I'm new to Rifts :-)
I can learn to play today.

what are you interested in playing?

Cyborgs are cool.
Hands player Warlords of Russia. Clock starts..

Next!
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I am attempting to work in a strong Coalition vibe when my rotation as gm comes up.

No D-bees or mages....hopefully :-)

Psionics, Super Soldiers, Mutant Animals, Mutant Humans, borgs, Pilots, and lots of invading things to shoot at.

Everyone starts at a Cs prison Rehabilitation scout position.
A lone base that is at war with the magic zone. Daily attacks on monstrous creatures and magic users.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Effectively turning missed real life sessions into missed hunts for entire party.

Yea, you sprained your ankle and the Team took down forty Xombies!
Welcome back.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Ultimate goal us to have a party of "good guys" but in all reality they are just another COALITION STATES kill team.
Can't wait until they start to put the Hunts into perspective.

Nobody has an issue sneaking into a Brodkil camp planting explosives, but feel some type of way about sneaking into an Elf camp planting explosives.....
flatline
Knight

I've enjoyed super powered Wilderness Scouts and Rogue Scientists.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

The reason I assigned the power category because depending on power choices some might be Psi Net the others NTSET.
Metahumans fighting for Humans.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

say652 wrote:Scarecrow says not recommended as a player character. .

And this is relevant to my vote...how?

You asked for people to post a favorite Race/OCC combination. the fact you wouldn't allow it as a GM dosn't really matter. I'm not playing in your game.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
say652 wrote:Scarecrow says not recommended as a player character. .

And this is relevant to my vote...how?

You asked for people to post a favorite Race/OCC combination. the fact you wouldn't allow it as a GM dosn't really matter. I'm not playing in your game.

It's not, I know if I asked I could use your character idea no problem.
Just being an active munchkin the request seemed overpowered.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”