What do you think the other Splugorth will be like?

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SolCannibal
Champion

Re: What do you think the other Splugorth will be like?

Unread post by SolCannibal »

eliakon wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
taalismn wrote:I think that they leave some Splugorth unexplained/un-outlined so GMs can use them as they will for their own campaigns, that's what. You can use your own imagination to flesh them out, or their replacements if you know another GM has knocked them off..

What's good and all but do we have a sample splugorth and its realm/empire that is not Splynncrith's Atlantis? Because what little glimpses i can remember from the books are all about Sunaj, Kitanni & etc, like the last bit of individual effort on their part was enslaving the Kreeghor (whom they don't really control anymore, might be said. Some evocative bits of novelty or contrast, to make one care about any of them as something more than a Splynn clone would be appreciated i think.

Especially since things have gone from "Splyncryth recruited the Kitani and Kyndians as his personal minions, so hey look at the sort of thing a Splugorth might collect (an entire race or three)" to "everyone and their dogclynrith has the same races because unoriginality."

Oh yeah, so much this. Not to mention the Sunaj, who are not even supposed to be minions of the Splugorth but basically allies under duress (blackmail) from Splynn, but have been spread so much you get mentions of them being lent as "hitmen for hire" by the sploogs in Phaseworld among others. :(

Have done some tweaking here and there when i did use one or another in my games, though mainly in the area of tinkering with minion races, allies and such. Not as extensive as yours i guess and i'm kind of tempted to copy your list of tweaks for quick reference and help now.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

SolCannibal wrote:
eliakon wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
taalismn wrote:I think that they leave some Splugorth unexplained/un-outlined so GMs can use them as they will for their own campaigns, that's what. You can use your own imagination to flesh them out, or their replacements if you know another GM has knocked them off..

What's good and all but do we have a sample splugorth and its realm/empire that is not Splynncrith's Atlantis? Because what little glimpses i can remember from the books are all about Sunaj, Kitanni & etc, like the last bit of individual effort on their part was enslaving the Kreeghor (whom they don't really control anymore, might be said. Some evocative bits of novelty or contrast, to make one care about any of them as something more than a Splynn clone would be appreciated i think.

Especially since things have gone from "Splyncryth recruited the Kitani and Kyndians as his personal minions, so hey look at the sort of thing a Splugorth might collect (an entire race or three)" to "everyone and their dogclynrith has the same races because unoriginality."

Oh yeah, so much this. Not to mention the Sunaj, who are not even supposed to be minions of the Splugorth but basically allies under duress (blackmail) from Splynn, but have been spread so much you get mentions of them being lent as "hitmen for hire" by the sploogs in Phaseworld among others. :(

Have done some tweaking here and there when i did use one or another in my games, though mainly in the area of tinkering with minion races, allies and such. Not as extensive as yours i guess and i'm kind of tempted to copy your list of tweaks for quick reference and help now.

Please go right ahead.
It makes my day as a GM when someone tells me that they like one of my ideas enough to use it in their games. :lol:
(that goes for anyone and anything I post up here. You see it, you like it, you use it)

I have done....things to the Sunaj that amuse me greatly :lol:
My players tend to not be nearly as amused. But I laugh and that's what counts right?
For the curious...
...I have a couple different 'versions' of what is going on that I have written up. For each game I pick one of them to be the truth. All the others become lies. (probably. Usually at least. A few times I have had more than one Sunaj....)
The stories are
1. The Sunaj are time travelers who are trying to exterminate the Atlantians...before some of them will perform a ritual that will end up sending a portion of the race back in time...where they will create the Mechanoids who are accendant in the Sunaj timeline.
2. The Sunaj are an alien race that was offended by the TA and seek their deaths
3. The Sunaj are TA Dopplegangers from Earths Nightlands. The Cataclysm sent "Nightlantis" into a dimensional vortex from which they just escaped... and boy are they pissed. To get out they must kill an Atlantean and take their place
4. The Sunaj are Clan Skellian. The racial madness turns out to be a side effect of Monster Shaping (oops)
5. The Sunaj don't really exist. They are a plot created by the Splugorth to cover their current drive to exterminate the Atlantians and corner the market on Tattoos.
6. The Sunaj are the minions of a trapped entity of great power. To free their lord and master they are ritually sacrificing the entire Atlantian race in a ritual of war and illusion.
7. The Sunaj are "Make up something new on the spot that amuses me and run with it"
8. Oh yeah. The Sunaj are exactly like the book says.

Roll a die behind your GM screen. Smirk. Laugh evily. Then refuse to comment.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
jtjr26
Wanderer

Unread post by jtjr26 »

We have not actually scene very many yet. We know that Splyncryth and Klynncryth are youngish for Splugorth and considered dynamic go getters but the few others have been mentioned. Desslyth the older is described as ancient in failing health and his son Desslyth the Younger is trying to hold it together. In the Anvil galaxy The Kingdom of Rynncryyl, the leader is absent and possible insane leaving his flunkies to try to maintain the facade order. They are somewhat protected being in the threshold. A few minor ones have been mentioned but as of yet are of no consequence.

I would like for new Splugorth to come on the scene. One that is ancient and powerful looking for new territory to conquer. One that is from so far away they have an entirely different set of Minions, aside from High Lords, Conservators and Slaver of course and has already conquered a galaxy or large dimension. That could be an interesting shakeup for the Three Galaxies.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

eliakon wrote:[
I have done....things to the Sunaj that amuse me greatly :lol:
My players tend to not be nearly as amused. But I laugh and that's what counts right?
For the curious...
...I have a couple different 'versions' of what is going on that I have written up. For each game I pick one of them to be the truth. All the others become lies. (probably. Usually at least. A few times I have had more than one Sunaj....)
The stories are
1. The Sunaj are time travelers who are trying to exterminate the Atlantians...before some of them will perform a ritual that will end up sending a portion of the race back in time...where they will create the Mechanoids who are accendant in the Sunaj timeline.
2. The Sunaj are an alien race that was offended by the TA and seek their deaths
3. The Sunaj are TA Dopplegangers from Earths Nightlands. The Cataclysm sent "Nightlantis" into a dimensional vortex from which they just escaped... and boy are they pissed. To get out they must kill an Atlantean and take their place
4. The Sunaj are Clan Skellian. The racial madness turns out to be a side effect of Monster Shaping (oops)
5. The Sunaj don't really exist. They are a plot created by the Splugorth to cover their current drive to exterminate the Atlantians and corner the market on Tattoos.
6. The Sunaj are the minions of a trapped entity of great power. To free their lord and master they are ritually sacrificing the entire Atlantian race in a ritual of war and illusion.
7. The Sunaj are "Make up something new on the spot that amuses me and run with it"
8. Oh yeah. The Sunaj are exactly like the book says.

Roll a die behind your GM screen. Smirk. Laugh evily. Then refuse to comment.

Circle of Backstabbing Approved.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Kelorin
Adventurer
Location: Aboard the USS Lexington, flagship of the New Navy Atlantic Fleet

Unread post by Kelorin »

In an effort to recycle as much stuff from Palladium's other product lines in Rifts as possible, I think it would be fun to:
- Have a Splugorth that stumbled upon a Zentraedi fleet the way Splynn found the Kittani. Able to restore cloning and combine with transmutation - fun times.
- Same Splugorth figures out that Zents can interbreed with humans, currently working on determining if they can accept tatoos. 50 ft. tall T-Men for the win.
- Have a Splugorth that is more interested and dependent on tech than magic and is has subverted an ARCHIE or NEXUS style AI and uses bots as part of its minions. No Kittani due to their aversion to AI.
- Same Splugorth has found an earth like planet in the right zone from its Sun and with enough latent ley line activity to artificially trigger a Rifts Earth event. Currently buying and obtaining large quantities of slaves, or outright kidnapping entire colonies and placing the inhabitants in cryo on the above planet. Once critical mass (8 - 10 billion people) has been achieved the plan is to awaken and execute billions of people all at once during the next available solstice. Unlike Rifts Earth, Splugorth is in control of orbital facilities and has positioned robot minios to establish order and control after the event.
Apollo Okamura wrote:Kelorin WINZ!! :-)
TechnoGothic wrote:Kelorin WINZ!!
SolCannibal
Champion

Kelorin wrote:In an effort to recycle as much stuff from Palladium's other product lines in Rifts as possible, I think it would be fun to:
- Have a Splugorth that stumbled upon a Zentraedi fleet the way Splynn found the Kittani. Able to restore cloning and combine with transmutation - fun times.

I did a kind of similar recycling, but for a Heroes Unlimited game of mine, where a mysterious alien space station/citadel in Earth's orbit for decades is actually a TW-version of a derelict Zentraedi ship, with the Jotan from the Conversion Book as Zentraedi expies and excuse for the TW angle and a kilometer-long spaceship with ley lines, nexi, the occasional rift opening and stuff.

Also, ever thought of a "magical micronization" method, something quick to reverse/deactivate, as part of a infiltration/surprise attack tactic? Or some proccess to "macronize" humans, padding one's giant army with a bunch of "boosted" human slaves, T-men & women or not? Could be fun to play with either or both.
SolCannibal
Champion

Ah, little bit of Megaverse trivia - i don't have it with me right now to check, but i think the original Conversion Book makes a reference to the Peryton having a connection to greek myth, Atlantis or both.

Well, if memory tricks me not, this would in fact be not only a reference/call out to Jorge Luis Borges' Book of Imaginary Beings but to it existing in pre-Rifts Earth as a non-fiction work and some, if not all beings described there, as potential Splugorth minion/slave fodder, among other things.

Thought you people might have fun with the idea too, so i brought it up.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Q99 wrote:What do you think the other Splugorth will be like?

I'm gonna have to go with slimey.
SolCannibal
Champion

The Beast wrote:
Q99 wrote:What do you think the other Splugorth will be like?

I'm gonna have to go with slimey.

And tentacled for certain, let's not forget that.

Their servants will preferably be quite dissimilar physically from them, to avoid any sort of confusion or conflation of masters and servants, as that kind of stuff can lead to undesirable feelings of familiarity, comparisons or equality and that path can lead to loss of due decorum, respect and foolish bothersome ideas of usurpation and such, i guess.

Though some incredibly hedonistic/perverted/vain Splugorth that went out of its way to collect or craft races "aesthetically resonant" to its appearance could work as a peculiar one-shot/game specific power kind of thing.
Last edited by SolCannibal on Mon May 14, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SolCannibal
Champion

But back on the initial thread subject of Sploog kingdoms in Phaseworld, i would imagine the two realms in Corkscrew, it actually being the largest and most populous of the Three Galaxies, would actually be quite dynamic and strong still, because otherwise they would have been stomped over even harder than the other ones already mentioned long ago.

Also, wasn't there also a Sploog kingdom in Anvil taken over, wholy or in part, by the UWW?

And another thing....

Do not the Splugorth have some necromantic and witch-making abilities (i think basically taken from the supernatural intelligence package in Conversion Book, but would have to check)? Wouldn't it make sense for some of them to have undead legions, dark priesthoods/covens or some resources to make the most out of it? I would like to see some exploration of that.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

SolCannibal wrote:But back on the initial thread subject of Sploog kingdoms in Phaseworld, i would imagine the two realms in Corkscrew, it actually being the largest and most populous of the Three Galaxies, would actually be quite dynamic and strong still, because otherwise they would have been stomped over even harder than the other ones already mentioned long ago.

Also, wasn't there also a Sploog kingdom in Anvil taken over, wholy or in part, by the UWW?

And another thing....

Do not the Splugorth have some necromantic and witch-making abilities (i think basically taken from the supernatural intelligence package in Conversion Book, but would have to check)? Wouldn't it make sense for some of them to have undead legions, dark priesthoods/covens or some resources to make the most out of it? I would like to see some exploration of that.

The Splugorth most certainly have Witches.
They are even in the minion chart and we are told that their 'witches mark' is a fanged tentacle or something like that (I recall the tentacle bit... lots of jokes there so... yeah)
Undead just seem like good policy.
Slaves that are worked to death and such just arn't good eating anyway (for most people. Some beings relish the psychic flavor that the agonizing death gives the flesh). Reanimating them to keep doing useful work seems like good use of resources.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
SolCannibal
Champion

Any particular type of undead that comes to mind as potentially interesting minion material in place of Blind Warrior Women, Kydians, Kitanni or any others?
Hmmmm, undead Kydians could be a fun way to get twice the headache out of their usual "endless hordes" card, i guess, serving not once, but twice.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

SolCannibal wrote:Any particular type of undead that comes to mind as potentially interesting minion material in place of Blind Warrior Women, Kydians, Kitanni or any others?
Hmmmm, undead Kydians could be a fun way to get twice the headache out of their usual "endless hordes" card, i guess, serving not once, but twice.

Splugorth <tm> Where "Endless Servitude is not just a phase its a way of (un)life!"

Honestly I think the Splugorth will be vastly interested in the Cold Blood process.
It is an alchemical enhancement (right up their ally), that turns mortals (read expendable fodder) into useful tools that instinctively hate vampires (SCORE!)

I also expect that they will be making Murder Wraiths, and Mummy Imortalus. Both are interesting, have useful properties and the MI can be held out as a reward of sorts to some mortals.

And of course the usual Mummies and Zombies in job lots.

SolCannibal
Champion

Murder Wraiths i remember from Juicer Uprising, but where do i find the other two?
The Beast

Cold Blood is in Mercenary Adventures. The mummies are from the PFRPG main book and should be in either CB1r or Dark Conversions.
SolCannibal
Champion

The Beast wrote:Cold Blood is in Mercenary Adventures. The mummies are from the PFRPG main book and should be in either CB1r or Dark Conversions.

Ah, CB1r and Dark Conversions, that explains much indeed. Got to check those out along with Merc Adventures.
SolCannibal
Champion

Hello people, going back to a little thing at the start of the thread that just hit me a few months late.

Q99 wrote:Ok, as we all know, there's 4 Splugorth Kingdoms in the Three Galaxies, not counting the shop in Center.

Ok, who actually owns the Splugorth Quarter in Center, is it one of four aforementioned kingdoms or someone else altogether?
I really can't remember any answer/reference to that particular question right now.
The Beast

SolCannibal wrote:Hello people, going back to a little thing at the start of the thread that just hit me a few months late.

Q99 wrote:Ok, as we all know, there's 4 Splugorth Kingdoms in the Three Galaxies, not counting the shop in Center.

Ok, who actually owns the Splugorth Quarter in Center, is it one of four aforementioned kingdoms or someone else altogether?
I really can't remember any answer/reference to that particular question right now.

Kryncryth is the owner, though I'm not sure if I'm spelling it correctly. It's in the Phase World book.
SolCannibal
Champion

The Beast wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:Hello people, going back to a little thing at the start of the thread that just hit me a few months late.

Kryncryth is the owner, though I'm not sure if I'm spelling it correctly. It's in the Phase World book.

Ah, Klynncryth - he's one of the four local Splugorth powers in the 3 Galaxies, no?

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”