current favorite characters of the Megaverse.

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

current favorite characters of the Megaverse.

Unread post by say652 »

Since Center is kind of the Center if many realms.
Lets form a list of peoples current Character and realm they call home.

Powersurge Immortal Godling level:2 . Current home Rifts Earth, originally from a hu style New York City.
The character concept was Mjolnir. A living sledgehammer, that shoots lightning.
Borast
Champion

Re: current favorite characters of the Megaverse.

Unread post by Borast »

My two favourites for Rifts, right now, are an NPC I created (I don't honestly think anyone would be dumb enough to let me play him)...he's a human vagabond with Supernatural PS (62), Natural Combat Ability, Invulnerability, Extraordinary PE, Healing Factor, and has an IQ of 7 (think of him like an always happy 5 year old who can bench press a jumbo jet - the only way to make him fight is hurt his teddy bear, or actually injure HIM [hurt one of his "friends" and he may push or backhand you away, but he won't deliberately hurt you]), and a Chiang-Ku Tattoo Master masquerading as a Healer. (His brother is a Stone Master, and they have a pair of twin [brother & sister] T-Men bodyguards that minds their shared lair, and their loyalty is NOT bought with the Elixir of Power!)

The Vagabond is currently somewhere in the Prairies, and the Chiang-Ku was in France fighting Blood Druids when the campaign suddenly disappeared... :(

For Palladium, my all time fave is a gnome thief whom happens to also be a Diabolist.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Invulnerability loses a lot of staying power on Rifts earth.
Immortals and megaheroes jump up to the next power level.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Never used a chiang ku.
That sounds like cool thing to play.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

say652 wrote:Invulnerability loses a lot of staying power on Rifts earth.

Why do you say that?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

700mdc is a shadow of that powers true awesomeness.
flatline
Knight

say652 wrote:700mdc is a shadow of that powers true awesomeness.

You're still invulnerable to the same kinds of damage as before. The 700 MDC + regeneration is for the damage that you're not invulnerable to. Just like the SDC bonus you get in SDC worlds.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

A mid level immortal 150hp 200sdc his hp and sdc are added together and doubled 700mdc.
A standard megahero gains 50% sdc and hp+sdc=mdc.

In an sdc realm, its not that hard to takedown Powersurge, in an mdc environment he's in full beastmode.

Invulnerable characters can only be hurt by magic, psionics normal damage 1/2 damage from supernatural strength.

In a mdc realm both the immortal and the invulnerable aren't much tougher than a borg or Glitterboy AND deal significantly less damage.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Yeah, invulnerability is pretty terrifying, honestly. Most characters can't deal with it. Comparisons between types of supers is kind of like comparing different kinds of nukes, though...i mean...yeah, there are very clear differences of magnitude, but to the majority of encounters, the differences are immaterial.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

True.
In heroes unlimited.
Invulnerable characters are hard to beat.
except the book tells you how to defeat them many times throughout. Lol
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

I think the point is that, realistically, people don't figure your weaknesses out before you've killed them. eh?

as far as favorite characters, though, I've made a splugorth high lord villain. greater rune weapon, witch pact with old splynny and enough magic goodies to to make a temporal raider fail a horror factor check.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

a highlord.
Lots of cool biomods in Atlantis.
Being a witch is awesome.
But what about stealth and espionage. You know Alric stuff?
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Say, what you're missing is that in Rifts Earth, outside of psi and magic, the most you're likely to do to an invulnerable character is annoy him. Even Supernatural PS doing a power punch is going to do no more than sting.
Fnord

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I was under the impression most powers were ran through the conversion book.
700mdc.
Alrik Vas
Knight

yeah, but half damage from SN/PS...power punch of reasonably strong attack, 1d6x10, average 30-40, half is 15-20...out of 700. That's not a bother, it's someone who needs to be taught a lesson.

It's like a guy with his L-20 taking shots at a GB. It's really not intelligent, at all.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

And I use Bio-manipulation or Telekinetically lift the invulnerable guy.
Or cast levitation, life drain.
Round two. Speed of the snail, agony.

Been doing research for nonsuper power ways of dealing with super powers.
Alrik Vas
Knight

that can stop a sledge hammer, yeah, but who is to say the invulnerable character has no tricks of their own? not everyone has terrible saves. hell, get the guy a powerful artifact that makes him immune to crowd control type actions...if there isn't a power that can do it already.

flatline
Knight

Alrik Vas wrote:that can stop a sledge hammer, yeah, but who is to say the invulnerable character has no tricks of their own? not everyone has terrible saves. hell, get the guy a powerful artifact that makes him immune to crowd control type actions...if there isn't a power that can do it already.

Back in the day, the most super powers you could get were 5 minor, 1 major 3 minor, or 2 major. Even then, an Invulnerable character wasn't a one trick pony. Now that you can start with 3 major AND 2 minor (or whatever)...

--flatline

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

In Rifts. Conversion book supers do in fact get more powers and adventurer/vagabond occs.
In hu your power category determines how many you get. Still less than Rifts but the opportunity for better skills is there.
So its a choice. More powers go occ better skills go Heroes unlimited.

Still working in nonsuper characters for a challenge I recently accepted.
Alrik Vas
Knight

there are non-super ways if becoming invulnerable, anyway. Chiang-ku tea, for instance.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Invulnerable characters in my opinion are not invulnerable. A magic sword WILL kill you, most require air, a psionic could ruin your day, and oddly enough Physical Training characters could punch the snot out of you dealing full damage.
Physical Training characters can damage intangible out of phase 4th dimensional even spirits with punches and kicks.

Sometimes usefulness beats out staying power.
Not always but on occasion.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

say652 wrote:Invulnerable characters in my opinion are not invulnerable. A magic sword WILL kill you, most require air, a psionic could ruin your day, and oddly enough Physical Training characters could punch the snot out of you dealing full damage.
Physical Training characters can damage intangible out of phase 4th dimensional even spirits with punches and kicks.

Sometimes usefulness beats out staying power.
Not always but on occasion.

Where does it say that about physical training characters? I am intrigued... :twisted:
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Frank Auklum, a short, unassuming-looking human currently employed on Level 4 at the college of temporal magic.

Frank has a legitimately rolled IQ of 30, and was once a top researcher in the CCW. His area of expertise was temporal physics and until several years ago, he was in charge of creating a "time portal". The experiments were somewhat successful, but funding for the project was pulled. Due to its incredibly top-secret nature, Frank's entire background was erased - his birth records, his bank accounts, his credentials - so that no one would ever believe his claims or hire him again.

Only in the magic college could he find employment. He is paid minimally, in cash, and is generally very bitter.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

In the power category description.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

say652 wrote:In the power category description.

... special combat abilities... ah the power punch/kick option... nice. Finally a viable use for a power attack outside of an ambush situation. Still never going to see a physical training character... or any HU 'classes' given the random BS involved in their creation. To quote my first GM's advice to me... "If you need to rely upon luck to succeed then you've already failed."
Last edited by Slight001 on Mon May 18, 2015 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

In Greenbrook they form the backbone of our militia.
Sure they are high sdc and have enhanced strength but add in some mdc body armor and blammo drop kickin Glitterboys. Lol.
In my hu game they also form the Barons militia.
They beat a dragon to death unarmed.

in my game The church of Moonshade uses katas as prayer.
The katas are the Physical Training.
Some grow quick some grow strong, all have ppe siphoned off to the Pantheons Supernatural Intelligence Leader.
Memnoc is an Evil Genius. Thank you again bro.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Braden Campbell wrote:Frank Auklum, a short, unassuming-looking human currently employed on Level 4 at the college of temporal magic.

Frank has a legitimately rolled IQ of 30, and was once a top researcher in the CCW. His area of expertise was temporal physics and until several years ago, he was in charge of creating a "time portal". The experiments were somewhat successful, but funding for the project was pulled. Due to its incredibly top-secret nature, Frank's entire background was erased - his birth records, his bank accounts, his credentials - so that no one would ever believe his claims or hire him again.

Only in the magic college could he find employment. He is paid minimally, in cash, and is generally very bitter.

That sounds like bad news for his former employers...

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

In my old Phase World campaign, the PCs threw him into a room with Jelko Rodula to see what would happen when the greatest temporal physicist and the greatest engineer got together.

Hilarity ensued.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

"No, first you put the filter then the coffe and then the water"

"My design takes the cup of coffee and pulls a duplicate from time."

"Yes but you design doesn't copy the cup!"
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Atiru (Lemurian for Stomcloud), a female NPC Oceanic Guardsman in my 3G campaign. Atiru is a member of the Royal Park Guards, who act as guards to the royalty of the City and as well as a kind of special forces unit capable of combat, intelligence, diplomatic and exploration missions. The unit members can be deployed (Rifted) around the Thundercloud or other dimensions mostly via rifting and dimensional rifting.

Atiru favors using swords, such as a Lemurian coral saber and her custom Shark bio-armor, and has a Lemurian bio-mount Specific to the 3G, the Sea Wolf (both designed by Chuck Walton).

I'm the GM in my group, so I had to post an NPC.
Alrik Vas
Knight

one of my favorites a player made was a demon hunting descended glitter boy pilot. this baalrog prince slaughtered his family (mother, father, brothers, sisters and all) while he was out on mission, having recently taken over as the pilot. he comes home to hell on earth and goes a little crazy, has claustrophobia-triggered hallucinations about his mom coming to give him help as a spirit, whenever he sees a big tree he can hear his sister crying (it hung her from one by her innards). however, he was also secretly psychic (he didn't even know) and a lot of his visions were his powers manifesting. his power armor even got into the act, saving him from an alu, acting on its own (telemechanic possession). he believed the spirit of his family lived in the armor and wanted revenge on the demons, so he outfitted it with a slivered giant vibro-blade to cut up demons at close range...when he want popping their heads with solid penatrators from the boomstick.

Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

That sounds like an excellent variation of the 'family killed by Orcs,' background my group used to be fond of. I want to picture that Pilot as a young Bruce Campbell, gone crazy ala end of Evil Dead, only he's also a Newtype.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Slight001 wrote:
say652 wrote:In the power category description.

... special combat abilities... ah the power punch/kick option... nice. Finally a viable use for a power attack outside of an ambush situation. Still never going to see a physical training character... or any HU 'classes' given the random BS involved in their creation. To quote my first GM's advice to me... "If you need to rely upon luck to succeed then you've already failed."

Power Attack is also viable if your G.M. is using the optional knockdown rules based on the amount of damage taken. I used to dread when my player with a high supernatural strength used to power punch - if he rolled high enough on damage he hit the 100% chance of knockdown which would also take an enemy out for the rest of the melee!
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Precision, Level 8 Mutant Supersoldier. Current home for her main self/form is Rifts Earth in New Sea, a community built out of the ruins of old Seattle. The idea with her "Multiple Selves" power was that she would send her duplicates to other cities/dimensions in order to scout ahead, gain contacts, learn the scuttlebutt, and prepare for when Sakura and the rest of J.F.C. eventually arrived.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Interesting use of multiple selves and props for a west coast city.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

say652 wrote:And I use Bio-manipulation or Telekinetically lift the invulnerable guy.

Best use Super TK, since at over 200kilos with all his ... ahem ... equipment, you'll need a LOT of ISP with regular TK. (8 ISP + 1ISP per 2.2727... kilos [5lbs]) Even so, it's still going to be 50 or so ISP to lift and toss him. ;)
Fnord

Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

say652 wrote:And I use Bio-manipulation or Telekinetically lift the invulnerable guy.

Invulnerability gives a PE bonus so they may have a magic save bonus. Combo in with Healing Factor even worse.

Agony and Life Drain will deplte your PPE. I guess slowing them down so some SNPS bruiser wails on them could work. Both have low range though. Invulnerable might attack ranged. Most mutant PCs will splurge for an energy expulsion but barring that people can usually get hands on a lase gun.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

A lot of time has passed since this post, in that time i have learned.

Hire a Torvil or two to cut on the Invulnerable character and have one psionic use Bio Manipulation until the Invulnerable foe fails a save.
Axelmania
Knight

Is a Torvil's damage-output adequate? Are you figuring total paralysis so the Invulnerable can't just simultaneous attack?
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

The natural abilities of the swordfist, supernatural strength and crazy bonuses with its swordfists make it the perfect choice to delay the Invulnerable menace.

Any psionic with Bio Manipulation just keep using that power every attack.
Eventually you fail a save.
Axelmania
Knight

This does require they first get close enough though. If you miss your first shot then the invulnerable guy might start tackling you and make you too distracted (lost melee attacks) to launch psi at him.

The type of place where you might sneak up on someone (say a crowded town) would probably also have security there to stop the swordfist from ripping up a helpless person on the ground before they could get the job done.
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

BoT

Creedence "Creed" Clearwater
9th level Cosmo-Knight Grackletooth
originally from the swamps of middle Georgia, now a undercover-operative posing as a gladiator slave in Atlantis to help a group of heroes try and actually totally destroy a Alien Intelligence (splinters and all) during a Grand Tournament in the Splynn Arena.
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Menace.

Partial Conversion Cyborg.
Cyber Samurai level 7, Gunfighter level 7,
Now a PsiNet Spotter level 3.

Currently working undercover in Rifts Japan.
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: 44 years in denver, but now in grand rapids.

Unread post by Vincent Takeda »

Pair of characters... Heroes unlimited/ninjas and superspies setting.
Both Immortal spirits of light. Both of them are Tai Chi practitioners.
Him? Multiple beings, alter facial features, shrink, metal manipulation, pause temporal flow, technoform
Her? Multiple beings, metal manipulation, shrink, technoform, alter facial features and alter physical body.

Thematically a pair of characters that can by themselves be an entire 'circus of the stars' circus troupe, with a campaign utility focus on healing and repair and piloting. Favorite tactics are misdirection and creating distractions... Also top notch at infiltration.
Last edited by Vincent Takeda on Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Books
D-Bee

Unread post by Books »

Captain Eric Vincent Remington. Started out as a straight laced s.d.c human Line Officer; now Line Officer 5/Riathenor Warrior 2 and a high ranking member of the Black Market. He also picked up from a rather unique curious shop a magic samurai sword which granted him Zanji-Shinjinken-Ryu at his current level, an ATL-7 Anti-Tank Laser Rifle and a bracelet which summons up to four cats for emergency rations or to serve as spies. Finally, his current love interest is a vacationing Sister of the Holy Void.
Mouse
D-Bee

Unread post by Mouse »

Corporal Lance McKey (Coalition Nautical Commando (ex) 5th / Genetically Altered Gladiatorial Slave (Maxi-Man) 3rd)
Was captured by Slavers when the ship he was on was sunk. Was taken to Atlantis and deemed "unfit for the Arena" which normally meant becoming food. Fortunately a rather shady being bought him at a bargain price and he was taken to an unknown destination via the Pyramid in Atlantis.
After a few years as a slave mining rocks and being bullied he was taken before his "Master". He was shown a holo-map of the Three Galaxies and offered a way to improve his situation. If he would teach some of the slaves to work as an effective high-tech and mobile unit, he would be granted more freedom and power.
Knowing he would never find his own way home, he agreed to the offer. After his first three units were fielded, and successful, he was again taken in front of his "Master".
This time when he entered the Main Building he was knocked unconcious. When he awoke later he was in a well appointed, by slave standards, room. He felt stronger and healthier than he ever had in his life. The only oddities were a prolific number of extraordinary tattoos, including three matching ones on each arm of some sort of Runic design.
Within weeks he learned he had been turned into some sort of Tattooed Freak of Magic and was "just better all around". He also noticed that his rather mild Psionic Powers had been somehow enhanced.
Several years later Lance managed to fake his own death when he was sent on a mission to attack an Atlantean Undead Slayer compound and training facility. Fortunately he was expected to die, so when an explosion rocked the area he was in and a Rift opened, none of his "Handlers" bothered to look for him.
He now makes his living as a "Gun for Hire" and actively works against the Splugorth and most True Atlanteans as a result of not knowing who made him into the monstrosity he has become. Over the past 100 years he has obtained over 60 Magic Tattoos, including 10 Runic Pattern Tattoos (each of which is equal to six (6) Tattoos).
He knows he can never return to the CS, not just because of his Tattoos, but because he has come to accept quite a few D-bees and Supernatural beings as equals. He's come to realize the folly of the CS teachings and that without D-bee allies, humanity is doomed.
(Gene-Thresher Juicer with improved Psionics and x2 ISP, plus Atlantean (Clan Aehriman) Tattoo Magic)
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Bambi Carruthers---9th level full conversion cyborg(male), basic heavy frame with customizations. High MA and Professional-level cooking.
Rail gun nicknamed 'Thumper'. Bakes a MEAN maple-apple-walnut pie.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Ivan Bukoff,
White Tiger Cyborg Shock Trooper level 2.
Dualclass Paratrooper Level 4.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Level 5 Ecotroz-Shemarrian progen-born Warrior; Hope Brightlance her counterpart 'Stormrider' the Phoenix.
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Maddux
D-Bee

Unread post by Maddux »

Favorite character was a level 7 special forces soldier that duel classed to level 4 operator.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”