Pomadon, World of Demons

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SolCannibal
Champion

Pomadon, World of Demons

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Something mentioned in Anvil Galaxy that got my interest, a planet in the TGE that went through a Coming of the Rifts-type incident several decades ago and now so infested with extra-dimensional monsters and demons of every kind the TGE uses routine orbital bombardments and permanently deployed battle groups just to keep the demon menace contained.

Beside the sheer direness (and convenience) of the scenario, much to my surprise i found no reference to it in Dimension Outbreak, meaning that whatever is happening in the planet is completely unrelated to the Minion War at best, and a neverending bleeding stalemate for both sides at worst.

Either way it's something of a wild card, so i wished to know if anyone else has ever toyed with the "World of Demons" or what suggestions and ideas you could offer me.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Re: Pomadon, World of Demons

Unread post by cornholioprime »

SolCannibal wrote:Something mentioned in Anvil Galaxy that got my interest, a planet in the TGE that went through a Coming of the Rifts-type incident several decades ago and now so infested with extra-dimensional monsters and demons of every kind the TGE uses routine orbital bombardments and permanently deployed battle groups just to keep the demon menace contained.

Beside the sheer direness (and convenience) of the scenario, much to my surprise i found no reference to it in Dimension Outbreak, meaning that whatever is happening in the planet is completely unrelated to the Minion War at best, and a neverending bleeding stalemate for both sides at worst.

Either way it's something of a wild card, so i wished to know if anyone else has ever toyed with the "World of Demons" or what suggestions and ideas you could offer me.
The Minion War deals strictly with the infernals of Dyval and Hades; chances are, this planet is infested with a different kind of demon.

(And of course, the arguably most likely out-of-game explanation for this 'oversight' is that the architect(s) of the Minion War simply didn't read this small blurb, or forgot about them completely if they had once read about them.)
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
SolCannibal
Champion

cornholioprime wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:Something mentioned in Anvil Galaxy that got my interest, a planet in the TGE that went through a Coming of the Rifts-type incident several decades ago and now so infested with extra-dimensional monsters and demons of every kind the TGE uses routine orbital bombardments and permanently deployed battle groups just to keep the demon menace contained.

The Minion War deals strictly with the infernals of Dyval and Hades; chances are, this planet is infested with a different kind of demon.

(And of course, the arguably most likely out-of-game explanation for this 'oversight' is that the architect(s) of the Minion War simply didn't read this small blurb, or forgot about them completely if they had once read about them.)

My impression overall too, missing stuff can happen to anyone and truth be told it only got my attention due to how close it gets to the plot of Armageddon Unlimited. I'm considering mentioning Pomadon in my Minion War game, as a chaotic morass comparable to Chaos Earth with dozens of extradimensional realms suddenly dropping their trash upon the world at the same time and something of a warning of the kind of debacle the lords of Dyval out of overconfidence might be setting up for themselves on HU Earth.

Might also mix the random monster generators in Rifts® RPG with the alien race generation charts from Phaseworld to cook up some revised tables of my own.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

For Hades/Dyval forces to keep trying to invade a planet regularly being orbit-nuked by TGE, it would have to have some object of serious incentive worth risking that.

Unless a future sourcebook or GM introduces such an objective to compel those forces (both of whom would have the intelligence to learn of the orbit-nuking and stop going there if there was no reason to go there) then I would assume it to be a dumber, less coordinated force of demons, or just a place demons get randomly deposited against their will.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
SolCannibal
Champion

Tor wrote:For Hades/Dyval forces to keep trying to invade a planet regularly being orbit-nuked by TGE, it would have to have some object of serious incentive worth risking that.

Unless a future sourcebook or GM introduces such an objective to compel those forces (both of whom would have the intelligence to learn of the orbit-nuking and stop going there if there was no reason to go there) then I would assume it to be a dumber, less coordinated force of demons, or just a place demons get randomly deposited against their will.

Good point, early on it might be quite the gain to fight for, but after the Kreeghor got a hold of things and start nuking, it's value as an actual beachead would drop astronomically. That said, TGE might be actually compounding its troubles with the periodic exterminations of millions of creatures in a rifts-plagued planet through orbital bombardment, collaborating to make Pomadon's containement even more of a perenial (if minor, for now) drain in the TGE's resouces and manpower. In fact it would explain why a world supposedly with "1/10 of the energies of Rifts Earth" is becoming so much of a problem... maybe the situation is already serving the Minion War in its own way.

Another thing that has crossed my mind, crazed or not, is that any one faction could, with access to good intelligence on bombardments' times through cultists infiltrated in the TGE's battlegroup and the location of a few well-defended subterranean hideouts (like lost TGE military bases in the planet), be able to circunvent the brunt of the bombardments while staying hidden and making use of the many available portals spread throughout the planet to hundreds or thousands of operations across the Megaverse, with the general chaos of the waves of random monsters serving as smokescreen for their coordinated activities and maybe even collect some of the lost masses of cyclical emigrees and survivors as cultists and minions to serve in other fronts in exchange for safehouses and eventual escape - yes, to serve as padding in another front of the Minion War, but better than living amidst the rains of nukes, no?

That said, while vicious and cunning, i don't see any of the Demon or Deevil Lords as that methodical and would probably just leave the world to its luck and watch out for any surprising developments.
Last edited by SolCannibal on Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SolCannibal
Champion

Hmm, such a nice idea so long ago, damn shame i forgot about exploiting the situation of this planet, but then my Minion War game ground to a halt anyway, so no susprises there. Might get this set-up and tweak it for some other kind of game one of those days.

Possibly Hades or Dyval agravating things to distract the TGE, while some other group - like the Cibolans or someone else - offering hideouts, mercenary/get away deals to whatever rifted beings catch their interest as potential grunts.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”