Aliens Unlimited in Phase World?

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Aliens Unlimited in Phase World?

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

I have always used the races in AU in my Phase World campaigns, I'm curious who has done the same? If you do, do you use the factions, or just the races as extra options?

I rarely allow the superpowers unless they're minor racial abilities in my game, but that's personal preference.

Oh, and in the link in my sig I've done an Aliens Unlimited variation on my Megaverse Character Sheet design; if you like it but think it needs something different for Phase World, let me know..
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
DhAkael
Knight

Re: Aliens Unlimited in Phase World?

Unread post by DhAkael »

Concol, Attorian, Riathenor, Darkolon, a few others...oh yeah, Thessera & Micean.
Basicly, where ever they are appropriate.
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Same here, I built up the "milky way in the middle of the Thundercloud Galaxy
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

I just use the races to populate planets, not the factions.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I sort of go a 'third option' When I run space I tend to use the AU and 3G books as source books for my own galaxy. I also freely borrow from many many other sources (Books, Films, TV, Anime, Other Games, Comics, Whatever) so that I have plenty of worlds, and races, and factions and what not. That way I don't feel trapped in using stuff that I find silly (the minion war, the forge war, the 'land rush' in the Thunderhead Galaxy, the Antorian Empire, et multiple cetera)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well I use them,as a base for a Race,chamge ther name,History,race abilities a bit.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Anything goes, There's no rules! ! Wooo!!!
Memnoc-_- "put your shirt back on Steve."
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Use 'em all...not the factions as much as major power players, but as smaller star nations. The TMC makes a convenient rival security service to the Wulfen cyborg Star Marshals, while TGC makes a convenient foil for Naruni trying to horn in into other markets. Others are convenient cannon-fodder or background filler('Mos Eisley Cantina-style'). And I'm rather fond of the tragic Manaar with their death-imagery heroics.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Keep them mostly separate and in fact have used far more material from AU (with a few doses of Mystic China) than 3G overall.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well you need to make AU,s ships,using Phase world,s rules,like how das the 3 Galaxies,s space effect each of the AU,s FTL drives?
What AU,s ships are the Right size so they can wokr with the Contra-Gravity drives?
A AU race runing from Atorian empire get rifted to 3 Galaxies could make a Good Campaigns,Right?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

you basically have three options with ships..

1.) create three galaxies ships yourself for them. - this means they match the local tech and you can control the styles involved, but it is a lot of work.
2.) work up a conversion between AUGG's rules and PW to bring the AUGG ships up to match the 3G's tech levels - rules for determining MDC levels, adjusting the weapons to do MDC (including standard PW missile types if needed), rules using the factor speeds to determine contragravtivic drive speeds, etc.
3.) adjust damage and armor from AUGG from SDC to MDC, but leave the rest alone. - simplest option, but leaves the ships somewhat less potent and a lot slower than PW stuff.

personally i think i'd do a mix of 1 and 3. races that i choose to make part of the existing 3G's powerblocs would get existing 3G's ships, or custom created ones using the common 3G's tech. but i'd use many of them as 'younger races'.. races that haven't quite adopted all the tech of the 3G's yet, ones that haven't had spaceflight for as long. give the setting a bit more of a babylon5/stargate/halo feel, with clear differences in the tech level of the races, with those that have been around in space longer having much better tech, and those who haven't using less advanced ships.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

I've always preferred AUGG ships to Phase World ships quite simply because there's no rhyme or reason to the designs of Phase World ships.. C.J.'s O.o.A. syndrome when it came to stats makes them unplayable (cheap runner ship with more armor, weapons and speed than a Heavy Military ship?).

Likewise, I like ship-board adventures (ala Firefly), so having ships that can travel between worlds in a few hours kinda detracts from that for me. Phase World uses L.Y.P.H, where AUGG uses D.P.L.Y... I'll take Days Per Light Year, thank you very much, it does a greater job of reinforcing the vastness of space.
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

Rifts space is actually fairly limited, especially on small scale ships. I always used every book possible, GG, AU, Rifters, TMNT, Manhunter, mechaniods and so on. some of the stuff needs tweaking sometimes, but in the end it's all good content and is necessary if running cool space campaigns that involve exploration and random encounters. Plus, I agree with using those ships also, but I always try to combine the two, which is difficult.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Never had a problem using ships from any of the settings (MH, PW, AUGG, etc...); but I'm always tweaking and splicing even systems from other IP's all the time so *shrug*
I don't see a problem, but I know for some it does exist.

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
SolCannibal
Champion

DhAkael wrote:Never had a problem using ships from any of the settings (MH, PW, AUGG, etc...); but I'm always tweaking and splicing even systems from other IP's all the time so *shrug*
I don't see a problem, but I know for some it does exist.

As i haven't spent much time on ship construction so far, can't say much on that area, i usually play more with societies, organizations, cultures - main reason i keep Phaseworld & AUGG stuff separate is probably due to the sheer amount of crossing over of the former into Rifts games of my usual group while AU material is fairly new to us.

edit: Recently acquired out of a mix of curiosity & nostalgia TMNT's Guide to the Universe and Transdimensional TMNT, and must admit it's damn tempting to just mix in with AUGG, both being set in the Milky Way, covering what would be small(ish) parts of the galaxy and apparently working on a "slower pace" of FTL - the Turtle's verse could fit pretty nicely as fragments of a HU earth i think.
Last edited by SolCannibal on Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

What powerblocks do you think each AU,s Races will join?
SolCannibal
Champion

gaby wrote:What powerblocks do you think each AU's Races will join?

Good question and depending on one's take of mixing AU with 3G, as the Galaxy Guide has a mix of races, degrees of tech & interestelar interaction and power blocs all its own: Atorian Empire, FAR, TGE (Tagoniglomerate), TMC, FIN (technically a media group, but seriously how can a interestelar network of psychic information brokers not be a power bloc?), the slowly spreading cosmic plague known as the Riathenor...

Personally, if doing such an adaptation, i might set all those groups in Anvil, that is notorious for many local groups being courted by the power blocs but with interests and agendas of their own and spread the AU self-suficient or isolated races across Thundercloud, Corkscrew, Anvil or any powerblocs in a case-by-case basis.

That said, i remember reading somewhere about the Atorians being adapted as major allies/vassals of the Transgalactic Empire and i must admit that the idea of the Atorians and their associated races as a power bloc in the TGE, serving the Kreegor but keeping them somewhat in their toes, is one that appeals to me too.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The last PW game I played in I was using a AU race for my char.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
SolCannibal
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The last PW game I played in I was using a AU race for my char.

Dimension-jumper or was his race simply ported to 3Gs?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

SolCannibal wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The last PW game I played in I was using a AU race for my char.

She was pulled to the 3G by meddling 'powers that be'. But her race did some nasty things during their third world wide war and maybe the 3G was seeded with a town that get rifted there, due to some D-bomb. ;)
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
SolCannibal
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:

She was pulled to the 3G by meddling 'powers that be'. But her race did some nasty things during their third world wide war and maybe the 3G was seeded with a town that get rifted there, due to some D-bomb. ;)

Who knows, maybe those 'powers that be' meddling is somehow related to these nasty things her race did during their third world wide war, those things sometimes connect in peculiar ways...
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

I doubt it.....*shrugs*
SolCannibal
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I doubt it.....*shrugs*

It all depends on your GM's desire to tinker with things.
But before i forget, what AU race did you play with in that game?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

SolCannibal wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I doubt it.....*shrugs*

It all depends on your GM's desire to tinker with things.
But before i forget, what AU race did you play with in that game?

It was one I made via the random alien rules, Déagolmyn. :wink:

Quick Stats (mods and written in stuff)
*Human Like
*High Grav
*regular education rolls

*fertility offset
*ova stasis
*Dominant genes
* Hatmador years are 1.5238 Terran years long

And you are right, that GMs tinker with things.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Sat May 16, 2015 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Like I say before I have no problem with races from Aliens Unlimited beening use in Phase World.
The thing is how would you changed each race to fit in Phase world?
SolCannibal
Champion

gaby wrote:Like I say before I have no problem with races from Aliens Unlimited beening use in Phase World.
The thing is how would you changed each race to fit in Phase world?

Well, AU Galaxy Guide itself comes with a number of suggestions on how to "retool" AU species into Phaseworld ones, that GMs may use and/or ignore in any level or combination as they see fit. Myself, while liking some of it, tend to prefer to ignore the "official tweaks" and would tend to port them over mostly as written, using Anvil and Thundercloud as "hinterlands", to keep them close but outside the sphere of main 3G powers. But i spoke of that already previously.

What kind of adjustments and tweaks would you do while porting them over gaby?
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

I use it all. I do tweak things for my games. The Atorian Empire females have normal hair patterns, dont like the receeding hairline thing.
SolCannibal
Champion

Something i have made a point of exploiting was AU's initial reference to Beyond the Supernatural and Mystic China as places to mine for supernatural beings, entities and monsters in the "Galactic Monsters & Evil".

I kind of went full hog with the unusual suggestion, keeping the Splugorth and most of the MDC settings entities generally out, while investing more in the resulting blend of wuxia, space opera & pulpy horror of focusing on those two books with pretty entertaining results to my games. The Yama Kings and False Immortals - in mostly original versions or under renamed funky space variations - can be pretty good antagonists to toy with indeed, among a bunch of other options.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Why not...if I recall, there are notes on how to slide AU into Phase World, in the book.
Darned if I can remember where they were supposed to go, but some were obvious, the FAR were part of the Consortium, the Atorian Empire were a client state of the TGE(?), etc.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

space is big place.
I say the more the merrier.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I put Far as a sub-confen in CCW,it stand for Federation of Anvil races,TGE took over the Atorian empire in Anvil.

That how I use them.
SolCannibal
Champion

As an aside, be it used as part of the 3 Galaxies or as a separate space setting, it should be pointed out that the Riathenor and Darclons are not native civilizations, but transdimensional invaders/exploiters in every sense of the word and so might be valid antagonists or encounters in a variety of ways due to that.

The Darclons in particular seem to be in such bad straights in their home dimension that some among them have considered mass migration as a way to escape their Splugorth & Naruni nemeses/rivals. The uncounted billions of individuals enslaved by either group (or their descendants) might or not have found their way to the decadent Splugorth star-empires or UWW and TGE, star-nations born from successful uprisings against the Sploog's yoke.

The Shissans seem to be outsiders too, though they don't really admit to it. Their whole "playing god/demon to get riches, luxury goods & other stuff out of primitive rubes" combined with the "red horned people look" could also result in contacts with deevils, deevilkin and other demonic forces being mistaken for shissan cons gone sour, among other things. Incidentally and of most interest, it's mentioned "they know about the Splugorth, but prefer to trade and work with their rivals, the Cibolans and Naruni Enterprises". Make of that what you will.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Magic using races are in UWW,the TGE in AU changed ther Name UTGE to make them different from the other TGE and I spit,Independent races between the 3 Galaxies.

It,s always Good to come up with New Races so send in your ideas to Rifter.
SolCannibal
Champion

gaby wrote:Magic using races are in UWW,

What, does the UWW have some cartel or monopoly on magic-using spacefaring civilization for some reason? :wink:

On a little aside, using such a setup would also mean putting the destruction of Assin, the Lassinike homeworld - and the forefront of the Riathenor invasion - right into UWW space. The forces involved with the Minion War as described in Dimensional Outbreak couldn't be happier. :twisted:

As an aside, re-reading on the Lassinikes i came across a bit where it's mentioned they actually managed to halt Altorian expansion in their sector of space for a number of centuries, what in itself says much about the power of their civilization before its fall - and just how big of a threat the Riathenors are, to take them out like they did.
taalismn
Priest

SolCannibal wrote:[

What, does the UWW have some cartel or monopoly on magic-using spacefaring civilization for some reason? :wink: .

The Golgans have the Ultravorians, who are rather weak magic users, but pride themselves on being the Republik's 'ace in the hole'...maybe they see themselves as bucking the trend towards magic-users banding together with the UWW.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Ok you Right,maybe I just think Magic-using races feel more toleranted in the UWW.
Some of the AU,s races are spacefairing others are not.

I have the Races exist in both H,U and phase world,so have been Rifted in the past.
SolCannibal
Champion

taalismn wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
What, does the UWW have some cartel or monopoly on magic-using spacefaring civilization for some reason? :wink: .

The Golgans have the Ultravorians, who are rather weak magic users, but pride themselves on being the Republik's 'ace in the hole'...maybe they see themselves as bucking the trend towards magic-users banding together with the UWW.

The impression i get overall is that magic-users do get a bit cliquish and keep lines of communication and trade with other people they can "talk shop" about. That would indeed contribute to the UWW sort of agregating many due to its combination of multiple magic-using nations under a single umbrella and peculiar non-contiguous territoriality facilitated by their use of ley line nexus, rifts and such, but the books and tables also offer room for the existence of a considerable number of independent societies of magic-users, be they pure classic magician, of a technomagic-esque bent or something else altogether.

As an aside, i kind of suspect that it is Ultravorians' desire to keep to themselves 'not to lose their edge' that naively keeps their magic knowledge narrow and somewhat limited, as they don't really have other groups to exchange lore and such with. Communication with the UWW might be beneficial, both for the sake of bringing fresh ideas and arcane discoveries through exchanges but the opportunity to forge an actual ally for the Republik, while the way they currently are the moment another group of magicians comes up to join they might be, if not outright boned, much diminished in importance with their fellows.
Last edited by SolCannibal on Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
SolCannibal
Champion

Speaking of less-known spacefaring spellcasting races.... what if the Robotech: Sentinels' Perytonians and Rifts' Dnorr Devilmen were one and the same, or at least branches springing from the same seed, like elves, dwarves and such across a multitude of dimensions?

Not quite the same look i'll admit, but there's just enough between them (and maybe AU's Shissans if one takes some liberties) for one to brew some interesting relations and ties with some good old rifting for glue.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

they actually look fairly different, so if they are related, it would be a very distant link.

https://bar1scorpio.deviantart.com/art/ ... -551552723
https://bar1scorpio.deviantart.com/art/ ... -551547655

Dnorr Devilman: https://thedungeonrat.files.wordpress.c ... 6-57-1.png

however the AU races and the ships built using the AUGG could easily be a way to expand the robotech setting.. many of the races in AU could be used as subjects of the Robotech masters, or as races of worlds the invid occupied. and the star nations could be used to fill out the rest of the galaxy for post-invid games.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Yes using Rifts D-Bee in Phase world good idea.
A 3 way War Between the Robotech masters,the Invid and Atorians,can wokr,it,s just how to set it up?
Like what parts of the Galaxy each control?
SolCannibal
Champion

glitterboy2098 wrote:they actually look fairly different, so if they are related, it would be a very distant link.

https://bar1scorpio.deviantart.com/art/ ... -551552723
https://bar1scorpio.deviantart.com/art/ ... -551547655

Dnorr Devilman: https://thedungeonrat.files.wordpress.c ... 6-57-1.png

True, having better pictures of the Perytonians for comparison, i have to agree there's considerable visual distinctiveness between the two beyond the "devilish-looking transdimensional mystics" thing. Well, it ain't like they are the only ones anyway, as Moses from Machinations of Doom doesn't seem to be either (or a Shissan) anyway.

glitterboy2098 wrote:however the AU races and the ships built using the AUGG could easily be a way to expand the robotech setting.. many of the races in AU could be used as subjects of the Robotech masters, or as races of worlds the invid occupied. and the star nations could be used to fill out the rest of the galaxy for post-invid games.

As an aside, now i'm thinking of a cabal of cosmos-trotting troubleshooters/guns-for-hire/impostors playing a sort of diabolic version of Pantheons of the Megaverse's Olympian Club or riff on the Overlords of Childhood's End. That's something that could go in a bunch of directions depending on the group's agenda, contacted cultures' mythologies & folklore and actual dark powers of the Megaverse being actually familiar or not with this band of 'hell raisers'. :wink:
Last edited by SolCannibal on Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taalismn
Priest

The Perytonians are perhaps corrupted dimensionally-stranded Remulakians? :P
"HEY! SKULL DISCRIMINATION!!!!" :badbad:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
SolCannibal
Champion

taalismn wrote:The Perytonians are perhaps corrupted dimensionally-stranded Remulakians? :P
"HEY! SKULL DISCRIMINATION!!!!" :badbad:

I would say mutated, as "corrupted" can have negative moral/alignment undertones that, afaik, don't really apply to the Perytonians' case, but beside that, who knows? Though from what i got about remulakians here, i would guess they might be MDC (or at least possess supernatural STR) and possibly psychics (though i would guess an eletric variant of Burster RCC might work best). :lol:
SolCannibal
Champion

Speaking of crossovers/mashups, how might the Marduk from Macross II (that got a book for the Robotech RPG, if memory tricks me not) go with the babylonian deities from Pantheons of the Megaverse?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

SolCannibal wrote:Speaking of crossovers/mashups, how might the Marduk from Macross II (that got a book for the Robotech RPG, if memory tricks me not) go with the babylonian deities from Pantheons of the Megaverse?

i'd say that would be better discussed in another thread, since it would likely end up thread-jacking this one.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
SolCannibal
Champion

glitterboy2098 wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:Speaking of crossovers/mashups, how might the Marduk from Macross II (that got a book for the Robotech RPG, if memory tricks me not) go with the babylonian deities from Pantheons of the Megaverse?

i'd say that would be better discussed in another thread, since it would likely end up thread-jacking this one.

There's that possiblity for certain, but considering it can also be used in a Phaseworld scenario, it could certainly be worth discussing.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

sure, but since this thread is about using Aliens Unilimited in phase world, if we want to discuss DB2 and macross II instead, we might as well take it to another thread, since it has little to do with this one.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
SolCannibal
Champion

glitterboy2098 wrote:sure, but since this thread is about using Aliens Unilimited in phase world, if we want to discuss DB2 and macross II instead, we might as well take it to another thread, since it has little to do with this one.

That's fair and will probably proceed to do that later on.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Sorry about that.
SolCannibal
Champion

gaby wrote:Sorry about that.

Sorry about what? If you mean about the issue of the D'noor x Perytonians thing, no big deal.

Even if more specific details don't quite pan out as expected the overall idea is still valid. I would guess some other Rifts D-Bees / Phaseworld races / Sentinels-era Robotech aliens might come up if one takes the check on it, as the Perytonians are far from the only non-humans involved.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”