Aliens Unlimited in Phase World?

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Aliens Unlimited in Phase World?

Unread post by The Beast »

Don't be sorry, be quiet.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I can make mistakes like all humans but I will never be Quiet.
The Beast have No Right to force me to be Quiet.
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Now back to the main subject of AU stuff in Phaseworld, it just crossed my mind that Pomadon, the "world of demons" mentioned in Anvil Galaxy could be a major Riathenor beachead, akin to the disastrous situation that resulted in Lassinike civilization's destruction.

(Pomadon is a planet in the TGE that went through a Coming of the Rifts-type incident several decades ago and now so infested with extra-dimensional invaders & raiders of every kind the TGE uses routine orbital bombardments and permanently deployed battle groups just to keep the demon menace contained)

Also, on a little aside, the Sisshans apparent familiarity with Naruni Enterprises and the Cibolans makes them into quite easy fits for Phaseworld. In fact they might be one of the races the demons and deevils passed themselves as while infiltrating Phaseworld in Dimensional Outbreak. Their appearance and familiarity with magic should make them as good cover as the D'noor devilmen.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

MADMANMIKE wrote:Likewise, I like ship-board adventures (ala Firefly), so having ships that can travel between worlds in a few hours kinda detracts from that for me. Phase World uses L.Y.P.H, where AUGG uses D.P.L.Y... I'll take Days Per Light Year, thank you very much, it does a greater job of reinforcing the vastness of space.

I care not the "base" of the adventure, but having a ship as the core of the campaign can be fun. :)

As for LYpH and DpLY...
So, you prefer a Benz Patent Motor Car, model no. 1 that tops-out at 16kph, to a Toyota Corolla that tops-out at 170kph...

The speed of the ship is not what conveys the vastness of space, it's breaking down 6 light hours from a planet, and only enough (just) delta-V in the tank to make orbit if they leave *now.* :lol: It's how you handle the narrative. It's reminding the PCs that unless they know WHERE the bad guy is going, they can't follow him once he's off thier sensors (which only reach for a couple LYs for star sized bodies, and a few LHs for ship sized objects) (and he'll be gone before they finish repairs).
Or, the ever popular: "Thank you for the paper kindling for my dinner's fire...now are you going to pay for the items? That'll be 87 kt'ritas...Universal Credit? Sorry, I've never heard of that. Is that a new type of nose cleaner?" (With all this going on with the use of a trusty native guide that *barely* speaks a common language.)
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

gaby wrote:What powerblocks do you think each AU,s Races will join?

I wish I could remember where I saw it, but I can remember seeing (in a Pally product) that in the event of using AU in 3Gs, "X" joined "Y". The Atorian, for example, were a client state of the Kreegor (and a reasonably well respected and treated one).

Sigh...5 shelves (and 2 banker's boxes) of books for reference, and they are useless when you can't remember *where* to look!
Fnord

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

SolCannibal wrote:It all depends on your GM's desire to tinker with things.

True...I have an Ancient Master that grew-up in the family tradition in Japan, journeyed around S/E Asia for two to three decades, returned home to raise a family. Then (with the family's traditions in the hands of his children) emigrated and settled in Toronto in the 80's/90's. He set himself up as an instructor of self defence and personal discipline. After about a decade, his entire Dojo was transported to Lazlo in a freak storm.
Fnord

SolCannibal
Champion

Borast wrote:
gaby wrote:What powerblocks do you think each AU,s Races will join?

I wish I could remember where I saw it, but I can remember seeing (in a Pally product) that in the event of using AU in 3Gs, "X" joined "Y". The Atorian, for example, were a client state of the Kreegor (and a reasonably well respected and treated one).

Sigh...5 shelves (and 2 banker's boxes) of books for reference, and they are useless when you can't remember *where* to look!

I think some of that might be in the AU Galaxy Guide itself. The Thropos got some extra development in one of the Rifters too (though i wasn't really a fan, as it did some retcons that gutted what i most liked about them, the "Ronin culture" as a civil disobedience movement amidst the warrior cultures of the Atorian Empire, in the process).

Borast wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:It all depends on your GM's desire to tinker with things.

True...I have an Ancient Master that grew-up in the family tradition in Japan, journeyed around S/E Asia for two to three decades, returned home to raise a family. Then (with the family's traditions in the hands of his children) emigrated and settled in Toronto in the 80's/90's. He set himself up as an instructor of self defence and personal discipline. After about a decade, his entire Dojo was transported to Lazlo in a freak storm.

Too true, a major part of an HU dimension of mine came from thinking Century Station was an actual SDF-1 style starship/station instead of a city and just running along with that instead after i got the book and found the mistake. My players completely love the damn "Babylon Eisley" kind of place full of weird, half-forgotten and barely understood intrigues & secrets. :twisted:
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

SolCannibal wrote:
Borast wrote:

I think some of that might be in the AU Galaxy Guide itself. The Thropos got some extra development in one of the Rifters too (though I wasn't really a fan, as it did some retcons that gutted what i most liked about them, the "Ronin culture" as a civil disobedience movement amidst the warrior cultures of the Atorian Empire, in the process).

Phase World Sourcebook, pgs.50-52
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Borast wrote:
MADMANMIKE wrote:Likewise, I like ship-board adventures (ala Firefly), so having ships that can travel between worlds in a few hours kinda detracts from that for me. Phase World uses L.Y.P.H, where AUGG uses D.P.L.Y... I'll take Days Per Light Year, thank you very much, it does a greater job of reinforcing the vastness of space.

I care not the "base" of the adventure, but having a ship as the core of the campaign can be fun. :)

As for LYpH and DpLY...
So, you prefer a Benz Patent Motor Car, model no. 1 that tops-out at 16kph, to a Toyota Corolla that tops-out at 170kph...

The speed of the ship is not what conveys the vastness of space, it's breaking down 6 light hours from a planet, and only enough (just) delta-V in the tank to make orbit if they leave *now.* :lol: It's how you handle the narrative. It's reminding the PCs that unless they know WHERE the bad guy is going, they can't follow him once he's off thier sensors (which only reach for a couple LYs for star sized bodies, and a few LHs for ship sized objects) (and he'll be gone before they finish repairs).
Or, the ever popular: "Thank you for the paper kindling for my dinner's fire...now are you going to pay for the items? That'll be 87 kt'ritas...Universal Credit? Sorry, I've never heard of that. Is that a new type of nose cleaner?" (With all this going on with the use of a trusty native guide that *barely* speaks a common language.)

plus AUGG speeds aren't "days per light year".. unless you devote literally everything to your drive, you are looking at months per lightyear.. and those fast "all drive" ships are getting at best weeks per lightyear.

there is a reason the AUGG had a large section on various shortcut methods to get places fast, because getting around more than neighboring stars is pretty darn hard, and even then you have a lot of downtime aboard ship.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Ther the Gallopa in AU with ther population of ther Homeworld just disappear,Maybe they got telepored to a Planet in Thundercould?
That can make a Good game?
SolCannibal
Champion

taalismn wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
Borast wrote:

I think some of that might be in the AU Galaxy Guide itself. The Thropos got some extra development in one of the Rifters too (though I wasn't really a fan, as it did some retcons that gutted what i most liked about them, the "Ronin culture" as a civil disobedience movement amidst the warrior cultures of the Atorian Empire, in the process).

Phase World Sourcebook, pgs.50-52

Oh, it was there. Good to know, i would not have thought of looking for AU-related stuff in that particular book (though it makes perfect sense in hindsight, being crossover/mashup material).

gaby wrote:Ther the Gallopa in AU with ther population of ther Homeworld just disappear, Maybe they got telepored to a Planet in Thundercould?
That can make a Good game?

Depends on how much AU gives us on the Gallopa in the first place to start rriffing ffrom, but certainly sounds promising.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Borast wrote:

As for LYpH and DpLY...

All of these are great but don't forget all of those mystical obstacles (expanses, plasma fields, chrono fields) not to mention enemy patrols. Also most ships do between 2 LYPH (so 48 LY in a day) and 5 LYPH ( 120 LYs in a day) and most of the time you don't want to go at max speed.

There are also large areas, 1/3 of the corkscrew galaxy according to the DB 2, that are unexplored. these areas would not only have all the problems mentioned above about money and language but even most Lore skills would be useless. These dark corners of the Three Galaxies are where I like to stick the really nasty stuff from PFRPG, BTS and Splicers or even conversions from TV shows or other games. Also this is Three Galaxies, an adventure might start on Phase World in the most populated area of the Corkscrew but it might finish in the deep backwater of the Anvil.

glitterboy2098 wrote:plus AUGG speeds aren't "days per light year".. unless you devote literally everything to your drive, you are looking at months per lightyear.. and those fast "all drive" ships are getting at best weeks per lightyear.

there is a reason the AUGG had a large section on various shortcut methods to get places fast, because getting around more than neighboring stars is pretty darn hard, and even then you have a lot of downtime aboard ship.

The biggest problem with slow ships is your characters miss a lot of what's going on in the setting just to go one place to another. You can isolate characters even less than a LY away by breaking the FTL drive and comms.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
SolCannibal
Champion

As an aside, how widespread and common are rifts/portals use in the 3 Galaxies outside of Center and the UWW?
Do any of the books give us a rough idea on the subject, because right now i'm drawinng a blank...
Last edited by SolCannibal on Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Warshield73 wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:plus AUGG speeds aren't "days per light year".. unless you devote literally everything to your drive, you are looking at months per lightyear.. and those fast "all drive" ships are getting at best weeks per lightyear.

The biggest problem with slow ships is your characters miss a lot of what's going on in the setting just to go one place to another. You can isolate characters even less than a LY away by breaking the FTL drive and comms.

yep. which is why Phase World went with a lightyears per hour system. got a story that requires the players to get to a neighboring star 10 lightyears away? half a day's travel will do it in phase world. in AUGG, you are looking at half a year or more... which makes it really hard to employ interstellar travel itself for dramatic purposes.
this is especially true in the phase world setting, where you have not just one but three whole galaxies where things can take place in. worth noting though that the three galaxies are so huge that even with a fast LYpH ship, it would still take years to cross from one side to the other, making the use of things like rifts drives rifts gates, phase gates, and other ways to travel huge distances in an instant super important.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well ther two was to crossover,One is a fusion of both the AU/PW the AU,s Races always existing,The Other One is AU,s races geting Rifts in.

I like to Mix both.
SolCannibal
Champion

What major (or not so major) magic or rift-using civilizations are there in AUGG's Via Lactea? I remember the Sisshans and Lanissikes having some decent know-how in that area, but if anyone can point out other canon ones, i would really appreciate it.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”