Random Interstellar Empires/Star Kingdoms

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

abtex
Champion

Re: Random Interstellar Empires/Star Kingdoms

Unread post by abtex »

taalismn wrote:A fun sci-fi pictures website that updates regularly....Good place to go for inspiration. :D
http://unflujodefotones.tumblr.com/

Add http://scifi-fantasy-horror.tumblr.com/ to your list of picture websites.
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Just thought I would ask. What about orbital facilities? Or even Naval facilities. You probably prefer those to be nebulous too. Just checking.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Aramanthus wrote:Just thought I would ask. What about orbital facilities? Or even Naval facilities. You probably prefer those to be nebulous too. Just checking.

Yes. A biotech society might grow trees(literal Beanstalks!) that reach into the upper atmosphere. Do the tops count as space stations? A magic using society might eschew shuttles and space stations altogether, magically teleporting from planet to planet, or from a planet to its natural satellites.
And again, a well-equipped orbital merchant shipyard would be indistinguishable with regards to importance from a military one(and an opponent would wipe out either just to be safe).

For such matters, I advise people to just fudge it...whatever feels right with the nation concept they're throwing up. Just say "yeah, they've got orbital forts' or 'they got a weak space navy', or 'they have no immediate enemies so their fleet is basically just revenue and police cutters'. Then, if you really feel it's important, you can flesh/stat out specific numbers, types, and capabilities at your leisure.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

I hope you don't mind if I post some tables on these sort of things. It will be another thread.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:I hope you don't mind if I post some tables on these sort of things. It will be another thread.

Go right ahead...I'm eager to see what you come up with! ;) :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Cool. I look forward to that. Tomorrow that will occur.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

The Alvis Parsley Persuasion

This little empire lies outside CCW. It is basically a human empire. It was founded several hundred years ago when the capitol planet happened to have a DVD mysteriously appeared on their planet of Elvis Presley. It was corrupted and they could only make it out as Alvis Parsley. For certain strange things occurred and it started a religion. These people are fanatical in their desire to make everyone worship this great deity "Alvis Parsley."

Size: 185 Star Systems

History: Newcomers

Level of Technology: Advanced Space Age

General Attitude/ Culture: Aggressive Theological Supremacists (Alvis is supreme)

Racial Composition: Variants of existing known species. (They constantly work on converting people to the religion.)

Government: Theocracy (Worship of Alvis Parsley.)

Administrative Control: Tight (They can't trust anyone who doesn't worship Alvis!)

External Trade: Conquest

Status Rating: Booming

Commodities: Alvis Parsley religion......

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

The Jermum Conclave

The Jermum Conclave was founded by variant humans. They are located about 250 light years away from the CCW. These human have something that makes them unique in the 3 Galaxies. They communicate in a mumbling sort of language. Many have tried to translate the language and failed miserably. They seem to understand their brother from the rest of the 3 galaxies.

Size: 29 Systems

History: New Comers

Levels of Technology: Mature Space Age

General Attitude/ Cultural: Multi-factional

Racial Composition Variant human

Government: Hierarchy

Administrative Control: Restrictive

External Trade: None, no external trade

Status Rating: Established

Commodities: Pharmaceuticals

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:The Alvis Parsley Persuasion .

You're psychotic, you know that?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Botwani Union

“’Speak softly and carry a gatling tactical nuclear grenade launcher’ seems to be the philosophy of the Botwhin. Surprisingly good company for being giant armor-plated caterpillars, but they get deadly serious about their treaty obligations.”

The Botwani Union is the star-nation dominated by the Botwhin Char’chuga, a species of massive heavily-armored centipede-like high-gravity worlders.
Though fearsome physical specimens with a predilection for durable brute-force technology, the Botwhin are fairly easy-going, slow to anger, friendly and not all that interested in explosive expansion or beating up their neighbors. They prefer to colonize high-gravity ‘superearths’ with violent environments that would be well-nigh uninhabitable to anybody else, though they aren’t above visiting other peoples’ worlds for tourism.
The Botwhin are, however, enthusiastic supporters of the Senexi Arm Aboriginal Protection Act(SAAPA) which protects less-advanced species in the Union’s sector of the galaxy from exploitation by less scrupulous and more technologically-advanced powers. A violation of the SAAPA will bring the zealous attention of the Botwhins’ Protection Act Marshalls and the fearsome nuclear dreadnoughts of the Union Navy.
While other signatories of the SAAPA have been known to waffle and take their time responding to violations, the Botwani Union, with full public support, have almost immediately gone to war at least three times to rescue exploited indigenes from would-be conquerors and planet pirates, put their multi-ton feet on the necks of the offenders, and prized compensation out for the locals.

A. Size: Extensive; the Botwhin have colonized some 20 worlds, the vast majority of them ‘super-Earths’ with a local gravity of twice terrestrial(or more) and generally hellish conditions. The homeworld remains the most densely populated and important of the Union worlds, however, with few of the colonies approaching metropolis-level population concentrations.
The Botwhin also patrol about 30 other inhabited (but not spacefaring) worlds under the provisions of the SAAPA, but these worlds are NOT considered part of the Union(and many of them in fact are unaware of the fact that they’re even under the protection of the SAAPA).
B. History: Newcomers
C. Level of Technological Sophistication
Advanced Space Age. They are particularly fond of fusion impulse drives and high-end gravitic propulsion systems. Their tough physiology means that even their handguns are the equivalent of anti-tank guns.
D. General Attitude/Culture
Peaceful Expansionists bordering on Enlightened Imperialism; anybody who’s ever faced their PAMs or their warfleet would beg to disagree with either, and would call them a Warrior Race.
E. Racial Composition----100% Botwhin Char’chuga
F. Government
Full-participation democracy; the media bombardment, polling, online arguments and discussion of every aspect of governance would drive even human career politicians mad. The constant media coverage makes for a transparent government, but it also drives many Botwhin to travel abroad for vacation among the ‘smaller peoples’, just to get some relief from the media scrum back home.
G. Administrative Control:
Tight; the Botwhin Char’chugan government is strict in its self-adherence to its laws and regulations, and expects its citizens to be similarly disciplined.
H. External Trade
Raw Materials----The Union exploits its heavy gravity worlds to mine heavy metals and other materials. Botwhin-made armor plate and radiation shielding are particularly profitable items sold by the Union.
H1. Commodities
Exports: Metals, chemicals, high-gravity materials such as megadamage wood.
Imports: ‘Cultural Goods’---mainly foreign media, materials, objects de art(what can survive the Botwhin worlds' punishing gravity), some luxury foodstuffs.
I. Status:
Stable; the Union is expanding very slowly.
Last edited by taalismn on Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Kamasauni Stellar Coalition
“If you travel on, or buy, any KSC spacecraft, don’t complain about the shipboard decorations, the time spent on rituals, and don’t remove any of the decorations either. The Kamausaugh regard space travel as voyaging through a realm of powerful spirits, and all the ritual and ostentation is protection from the malicious aspect of that spirit realm, as well as a visible history of the ship’s interaction with that realm. Given the Kamasaunis’ relatively clean track record as a star nation and spacefarers, they don’t dare tamper with what works and neither should you.”

The Kamasaugh people are a race seemingly related to the Oni of the Bushi Federation, but somewhat smaller statured(roughly 5 ft tall on average), with a culture distinctly their own. The Kamasaugh lay claim to a three system star-nation on the edge of the Wycott Nebula in the Anvil Galaxy, and have managed to remain relatively free from involvement with any other major power block(though the Golgans and Central Alliance have occasionally bothered them). They are a deeply spiritual and superstitious people, though they lack much of the psionic prowess of their cousins.
The Kamasaugh get along generally well with their neighbors, and are seeking to expand interstellar trade in their sector(they have been assisted in this by WZTechyards, which has helped expand their ship production and sales). Part of the damper on expension of trade, however, is navigation around and through the Wycott Nebula; gravitational anomalies and reports of ‘monsters’ make for tricky travel in the region. The Kamasaugh, however, get by well enough, and their trade is beginning to increase as more people learn of their society and the products they have to offer.
The Oni of the Bushi Federation, however, upon learning of this apparent branch of their species in a distant galaxy were at first disbelieving, then openly contemptous, of the reports. The current mindset of the Federation is that the Kamasaugh are ‘ainnu’, barbarous castouts of a long-discarded branch, shunned by Amateratsu, denied her blessing, and tossed far away among the gajin barbarians. The lack of technological and psionic prowess(the incidence of psionics is even rarer among the Kamasaugh than among the Bushi Oni, about HALF that of the Oni, and none of the psi-enhanced martial arts) among the Kamasaugh only points up their backwardness, and their small stature clear indication of their inferiority; the Bushi Oni will not even allow comparative genetic testing to see how far back the two peoples might have diverged. The slightly higher incidence of magic-users(or at least belief in magic) among the Kamasaugh is totally ignored as superstitious mutterings of self-deluded primitives. As far as long-lost cousins are concerned, the Bushi Federation Oni would prefer the Kamasaugh remained lost. This frankly, though, doesn’t bother the Kamasaugh, as the Bushi Federation is clear far away in the Thundercloud Galaxy, and has few, if any, dealings in the Anvil, so the likelihood of the two peoples crossing paths is virtually zilch(the only way the Kamasaugh learned of the possible relationship is from casual remarks made by xenosociologists visiting the KSC). Interestingly, though, the Kamasauni Stellar Coalition is on increasingly good terms with the much closer Cisen-Adeta star nation, which incidentally counts among its population a large percentage of Oni of an ethnic sect also considered ‘ainnu’ and cast out of the Bushi Federation.

A. Size: Small; three star systems.
B. History
Newcomers
Advanced Space Age---The Kamasaugh have just graduated from Mature to Advanced Space Age; they have FTL drives and forcefields, but their technology is still fairly primitive.
Non-Interventionists---The Kamasaugh are currently not interested in getting involved with anybody politically or militarily, but just want to trade.
E. Racial Composition---Variant of a known major sept; the Kamasaugh are a shorter, squater version of the Bushi Federation Oni.
F. Government
Gendocracy---The Kamasaugh are ruled by a matriarchal society, with women holding the key administrative roles, heads of household, religious high offices and corporate top seats. Men generally do most of the hard labor, fill out the ranks of the military, and do the heavy lifting. Though not rabidly gender-biased and perfectly willing to work with other cultures, at home the Kamasaugh defer to their women for leadership.
G. Administrative Control
Tight; the Kamasaugh government is well-organized and maintains close control over its various aspects. State religion is a form of animism, and the government helps subsidize the temples and certified priests, especially those involved in blessing the space program and merchant fleet.
H. External Trade
Raw Materials---The Kamasaugh have been tapping the rich resources of the Wycott Nebula to export large quantities of refined metals and chemicals.
H1. Commodities
Exports: Besides raw materials, Kamasaugh ships ship out large quantities of consumer goods unique to their culture; especially prina-cloth textiles and a range of ‘primitive’ ground vehicles that have caught the eyes of motorist enthusiasts, such as the Krimagi-CZ700 Power-Trike and the Ulang TQ-series UniBike. The KSC has also found a potential gold mine in vrilsah, a potent alcoholic drink brewed from a cranberry-like fruit grown only in the KSC.
Imports: Consumer Goods; the Kamasaugh have a keen interest in sampling Galactic culture, and their ships ship back an eclectic selection of everyday consumer goods that many CCW citizens might take for granted, like stasis-fridges, holodisplays, grav-bikes, and the like.
I. Status
Ascendant, albeit slowly. The Kamasaugh are content to build up their trade and develop their already colonized star systems without needing to look to acquire more territory as yet.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Arzca Confederated Purity(Anvil Galaxy)

“If you travel anywhere NEAR the Purity, thoroughly sanitize your ship, double check your medicine chests, make sure all prescription medications have full documentation, and have everybody dump their happy-stashes. If you get pulled over and boarded, and the Purists find even a gram of funky-dust or a dope-stick snubbutt on your ship, you’ll lose your vessel and more than likely be disappeared to one of their rehab sweat-camps for several years.”

The ACP is the rekindled remains of the once great Arzca Stellar Confederation, which collapsed due to rampant narcotics addiction destroying social and economic cohesion. Multiple worlds were lost to alien drug pushers and slavers, and it was only after a centuries-long war that the Arzac have managed to throw off the chemical chains of their enslavers and take back their homeworlds.
The Purity climbed out of the rubble of the old Confederation, intent on purifying the Arzac people of drug dependency and reclaim their former colonies. They have a ZERO tolerance policy on narcotics, and have aggressively targeted the narcotics trade both within and outside their borders. Nominally allied with the CCW, some of the Purity’s actions against interstellar drug trade have drawn criticism from various law enforcement and civil rights groups, but for the most part the CCW turns a blind eye to the Purity’s war on drugs.
The Arzac have been busy building a potent military force, including capital ships, and have made no secret about seeking to regain their lost territories. Neighbors are nervously eying the fanatical army of zealots massing in ACP and are worried about any spillover from the inevitable campaigns, or the possibility that the Purity may judge THEM a danger to the Arzaci pure minds and bodies.

A. Size:
Three worlds(was once twelve before the collapse)
B. History:
Remnant of a once larger, collapsed, Confederation
Advanced Space Age. The Arzac are rebuilding their tech-base, often bolstering it with imported technologies. The Arzac have bought from both Naruni and Hartigal, and from other suppliers, not favoring any one outside supplier.
D. General Attitude/Culture:
Aggressive Socialist Theocracy with Enlightened Imperialist tendancies
Mildly xenophobic in that non-Arzac are carefully scrutinized and regarded with suspicion(after all, the Collapse was attributed to alien drug cartels and Confederation worlds were raided and looted during the dark age that followed).
E. Racial Composition:
90% ethnic Arzac(simian humanoids), The remaining 10% are mainly aliens who are undergoing drug rehab or are convicted drug-felons serving sentences of hard labor helping rebuild the Confederation.
F. Government
Socialist Theocracy
G. Administrative Control:
Draconian. The Purity is CONSTANTLY checking up on its own people to make sure they remain addiction-free and pure in body and spirit. ZERO drug tolerance. Most ships carry a priest-commissar who sees to the spiritual health of the crew and devotion to the precepts of Purity.
H. External Trade
Trade: Though badly diminished from what they once were, and under far stricter operating guidelines than before with regard to cargo screening and contraband searches, the ACP is rebuilding its once large trade fleet, especially after the reconquest of one of its former colonies, that was once a prominent trade hub in the sector. Despite the strict contraband laws, trade is again flowing through the rebuilt ports.
H1. Commodities
Exports: Medicine(especially chelatives and anti-toxins)
Imports: Foodstuffs(carefully screened), electronics, military equipment
I. Status
In Ascendancy. The Purity is intent on reclaiming the Arzca Stellar Confederation’s former borders, but few believe the Arzaci will be content to stop there.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

The Darc Dominion (Anvil Galaxy)

“Why do the warlords always wear black, assume some nerdy name like ‘Dark King’, ‘DeathMonger’, ‘Lord Deth Supremo’ or some such, and do the whole heavy breathing thing? The whole song and dance routine is almost as killer as the goon squads these guys order around!”
---Lieutenant Dadis Charn, GNE Stelmarine Corp.

“It’s not such a joke when your global radio net’s taken over by ‘The Darklord’, and a selection of major cities are vaporized by nuclear weapons or big rocks thrown at a goodly percent of light speed, with more to come if certain demands aren’t instantly met. Then a few more cities and towns are wiped for good measure if anybody takes a shot at the landing craft that come down to pick up the tribute. And a few rivers and croplands get polluted with plutonium waste. Or the ice cap gets melted and ocean levels rise. No joke at all. But from what we’ve been able to gather, those were the ‘DarcLord’s’ favorite punchlines.”
---Captain Enzo Radillo, GNE Military Intelligence

“Fools! You laugh at the Lord Darc? His genuis should be self-evident to even barbarians like you! See, by wearing all-concealing black, and letting no one see what lies underneath, he has tricked you...no difficult feat, considering your obvious inferiority....into seeing the costume and not the man! You can kill a dozen, a hundred, a thousand, of his shadows and not touch the Dark Lord! Even now, he has escaped your troops, and has secreted himself in one of his many places of power, from whence he will return to take his rightful place, purge those who have shown their true colors in his absence, put you in your proper place cowering at his feet, and free and reward those who have remained faithful to him! You shall see! You shall see! And then it will be -I- who look in past the bars and watch you rot in the cage!”
----’Gilner The Meat-hook’, space pirate, speaking from a GNE brig, Fort Thurston.

The Darc Dominion is just one of hundreds of petty neo-barb kingdoms that have sprung up over the millenia in the various out of the way parts of the Three Galaxies. Usually a group of powerfully armed bandits, led by a charismatic leader or two, will descend on a less-advanced world and use their firepower superiority to take over and stake claim. Typically, the planet becomes the base for pirate operations against other worlds as well, and the truly successful planet-pirates may claim a territory encompassing a half-dozen or more worlds(rarely more than ten), regularly terrorizing them and hitting them up for tribute. As long as the pirates have the high ground and the greater firepower, they can hold the planets under their thrall. This is exactly what seems to be the case with the Darc Dominion.
The Dominion was ruled by a self-annointed ‘starlord’ who took no name, but prefered, with almost laughable arrogance and childish drama, to be called variously ‘Dreadlord’, ‘DarcLord’, or ‘High Darc’. Less laughable was his army of rogues and renegades, mostly mercenaries from the Central Alliance(lending credence to the rumor that the DarcLord may have been a military leader or warlord displaced by General Noldek’s conquests and reforms of the Alliance). Nor was the amount of firepower he brought to the table, concentrated mainly in a massive mobile industrial platform that had been refitted as a warship and ominously renamed ‘Stars’ Bane‘. For several decades this force terrorized a region of space, controling travel through the region and holding the threat of planet-wide death and destruction over the inhabited worlds in it.
At the time that the DarcLord and his flagship encountered the Aegis Stellar Industries convoy around Tsi-Eta Gamma, the Darc Dominion was said, by accounts of Darc Dominion survivors, to encompass about a dozen worlds, although it was likely fewer, given the verbose posturings of the DarcLord on the subject. It may also explain why his flagship was apparently badly undermanned when the ASI mining contingent chose to attack and board, rather than surrender; it is suspected that the majority of the DarcLord’s loyalist troops were engaged elsewhere in occupation duties on the worlds claimed by the Dominion.
Sadly, the coordinates of the worlds of the Darc Dominion were lost when the bridge and databanks of the DarcLord’s flagship were blown away during the boarding action. The survivors, mostly lower rank grunts and slaves, are lacking in knowledge of astrogation and other details that might point the way to the worlds of the Dominion(in some cases, the slaves have spent most of their lives aboard the Stars’ Bane or other Dominion facilities, and have little memory of their original homeworlds). It is presumed that the DarcLord perished as well, which would seem to put an end to the Darc Dominion, at least so far as the DarcLord’s leadership of it. Unfortunately, without knowing more about the Darc Dominion and its location, ASI doesn’t know if the Dominion worlds are even aware that their overlord is dead, or, if so, who has risen in the occupation forces’ ranks to claim leadership. The most likely scenario, though, is that the DarcLord’s subordinates will begin fighting among themselves for control of his little empire, and that the subject populations will seize on the opportunity to rise up in revolt. Another possibility, extrapolating from the likely operating range of the DarcLord’s flagship and its presence in the Tsi-Eta Gamma system is that the worlds of the Darc Domion lie within space currently claimed by the Shemarrian Star Nation, in which case those worlds may have already fallen to the SSN.

Darc Dominion(at last known status)
A. Size
The Dominion apparently consists of 11 inhabited worlds and perhaps a hundred or so satellite settlements(mainly slave labor colonies set up by the Dominion), with an overall population estimated at some 17 billion. Rough estimates claim conservatively that the Dominion’s various ‘pacification’ actions have killed over 3-5 billion.

B. History
Little is known of the history of the Dominion’s constituent worlds, though it is presumed(in the case of the non-humans) that some of them evolved naturally, while others may be the result of earlier waves of immigration from elsewhere in the megaverse. The DarcLord and his original army would appear to be rogue elements in exile from the Central Alliance.

Varies; the Dominion central authority/military can be considered to be a tenuous Mature Galactic Age, but the majority of the constituent planets fall below the Early Space Age level of technology. The DarcLord and his army seize any technology of use and take it(if possible) offworld where it can be controlled more readily. All spacecraft production is offworld and is the exclusive property of the Dominion military. The Dominion also has extensive cybernetic/bionic technology; its elite soldiers are all cyborgs, and the creation of slave-borgs are part of its slave-labor impressment policy. Overall, the best technology belongs to the elite overlords of the Dominion, a superiority used to lord it over the rest of the Dominion’s subjects.
Besides the Stars’ Bane flagship, the Dominion maintains a modest fleet of some fifty or so capital warships, mainly light to heavy cruisers, and several hundred smaller vessels(not including fighters), mainly armed transports and orbital gunboats. These vessels, however, are one or more generations in tech behind the current state of the art for the CCW/TGE and other mainstream powers of the Three Galaxies. Furthermore, their deployment as a coordinated military force is in question, as the heavier units serve as the flagships of the respective fief-lords and as such would be the flag of their separate factions if the Dominion does break up.

Thrall-Kingdom. The Dominion is ruled by a high-tech elite through the application of space supremacy. For any thrall-worlder to rise in power would mean meeting the required material qoutas and slave-tithes, and turning on their fellows, quashing any attempts at rebellion.
Though the DarcLord has no problem with recruiting outside mercenaries, he remains suspicious of all others, and will regard with hostility any interest by any other power. Thus far, however, the Dominion is far enough away from the major powers that none of them has taken any interest in the region. The Central Alliance has only a passing interest in the rumors of this ‘breakaway’...the general consensus is if the troublemakers want to go off on their own, good for them, as long as they stay away.

E. Racial Composition
Roughly 70% Human, 30% other. Three of the worlds held in thrall are inhabited by non-humans unique to the sector.

F. Government
Strongman Dictatorship: The DarcLord was supreme generalissimo presiding over his empire from his flagship. Each planet in his domain was administered to by one of his most trusted lieutenants, who answered directly to the DarcLord. Each planetary governor maintained a standing army of thugs and a small fleet of warships which maintained watch over their respective thrall-worlds, Further top-down administration was carried out by levels of quislings and conscript military.

Draconian. Though the thrall-worlds outnumber the core military forces of the Dominion, the Dominion rules through the heavy application of space power. Worlds are monitored from space and any sign of resistance, disobediance, or effort to hide assets results in death from space. Similarly, consignments of slaves are marooned on barely habitable outposts or in asteroid colonies with the means to conduct labor and manufacturing, but not to feed themselves. Space transportation is firmly in the hands of the Dominion elite, and those slaves who do not meet required production qoutas risk having food and other essentials cut off from the entire colony.
The DarcLord and his lieutenants rule with an iron fist; mass executions for disobediance were common, as were genocidal ‘examples’(an entire city might be annihilated simply as a show of force). Forced conscription and the creation of slave-borgs were also common. About the only mercy the DarcLord showed was when drafting personnel to serve aboard his ships. If valuable talented slave-personnel had known loved ones, those significant others were hidden away in bio-stasis in hidden asteroid prisons; as long as the conscripts behaved themselves, they had a chance of an occasional reunion with their loved ones. Failure to comply could bring all manner of (luridly hinted-at) reprisals against the frozen hostages; from turning them over to be enslaved or simply turning off the power and flushing them into deep space.

H. External Trade
What little trade the Dominion conducts is with other independent kingdoms. However, state-sanctioned piracy accounts for nearly half of the incoming ‘trade’. Unwary travellers in the sector run the risk of their vessels being stopped, cargo and ship confiscated, and the passengers and crew impressed into Dominion service.
H1. Commodities
Exports: Minerals, raw materials, slaves.
Imports: Ships, weapons, industrial equipment, some luxury goods

I. Status
At the time of the Tsi-Eta Gamma incident, the Dominion was reaching a break-even point. On one hand, the Dominion had been around long enough that a generation of thralls knew little or nothing of a time without the Dominion. On the other, complacency was setting in and cracks were starting to appear in the smooth operation of the Dominion. The forces of the DarcLord were stretched thin overseeing all the thrall-worlds and fending off the opportunistic forays of other smaller brigand groups, and there was growing dissent among some of the old-guard planetary governors wanting more autonomy.
Fear of the DarcLord and his probable reaction upon returning likely has carried the Dominion for a while, with whatever seconds-in-command the DarcLord left behind able to cover in his extended absence. However, as more time passes, and the top tyrant fails to re-appear to re-assert control, cracks may appear in the organization as the opportunists sense the power vacuum. Unless a strong new leader is able to swiftly establish themselves and quell the fears and lusts of the other fief-lords, the Dominion is most likely to devolve into civil war.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Maybe you can add perfered Weapons?
taalismn
Priest

gaby wrote:Maybe you can add perfered Weapons?

No, Gaby. That would be like saying, what's the prefered weapon of the United States military, nightsticks, bayonets, pistols, machine guns, or artillery? Even the CCW uses a variety of weaponry, owing to the fact that combined arms are the best approach to the many threats in the Three Galaxies. Some weapons might be made in larger numbers than others, but that doesn't necessarily make them the prefered weapons type, owing to the possibility that politicking and pork barrel economics may saddle a national army with buying a million phitz-rifles that break easy when they really wanted more expensive and durable yag-guns.
I prefer, when talking broad-brush canvas capsule summaries about interstellar kingdoms, to keep the minutia to the individual GM, depending on the degree of detail they want to go to fleshing out the individual civilizations. I also prefer combined arms, because if they laser don't work on that energy-resistant demon, the 23mm machine gun just might.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

taalismn wrote:
gaby wrote:Maybe you can add perfered Weapons?

No, Gaby. That would be like saying, what's the prefered weapon of the United States military, nightsticks, bayonets, pistols, machine guns, or artillery? Even the CCW uses a variety of weaponry, owing to the fact that combined arms are the best approach to the many threats in the Three Galaxies. Some weapons might be made in larger numbers than others, but that doesn't necessarily make them the prefered weapons type, owing to the possibility that politicking and pork barrel economics may saddle a national army with buying a million phitz-rifles that break easy when they really wanted more expensive and durable yag-guns.
I prefer, when talking broad-brush canvas capsule summaries about interstellar kingdoms, to keep the minutia to the individual GM, depending on the degree of detail they want to go to fleshing out the individual civilizations. I also prefer combined arms, because if they laser don't work on that energy-resistant demon, the 23mm machine gun just might.

it might be 1 thing to say they typically use (insert tech) guns like say they use mostly laser, plasma and grav driver guns ... but be rather vague about the specific details, unless you are writing them up to the extent of an actual setting
taalismn
Priest

I'd redirect to this thread for ideas for generating an organization's prefered (technological) firearms:
http://palladium-megaverse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=142259
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Some nice little nations. I had to create the A.P.P. for my sister. She loved him growing up.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:Some nice little nations. I had to create the A.P.P. for my sister. She loved him growing up.

The best(and most twisted) inspirations can be found right at home. :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Dzedei Republic(Anvil Galaxy)

“You want stock footage of planetary bombardment with kinetic weapons? You might try the Archives of the War Department; I’m sure they have some old imagery from the Fourth Imperium. Back when we were doing that sort of thing with BIG rocks.”

The Dzedei Republic is all that’s left of the once-mighty Dzedei Imperium, a powerhouse nation that held sway over a substantial portion of an arm of the Anvil Galaxy.
The Dzedei are an insectile race, an offshoot of the Manteze species(See Aliens Unlimited: pg. 118-119), a tough hardy species who exploded into their sector of the Anvil Galaxy and quickly began carving out a star nation. Dzedei expansion was fueled, in part, by the cultural tradition of sending young Dzedei-Manteze abroad to prove themselves. Between several generations of glory-seeking adventurers and hundreds of campaigns, the Dzedei Imperium reached out to nearly a hundred worlds at the peak of its power.
Time, however, proved the Imperium’s worst enemy, and stagnation set in. Unable to push their borders, and beset with internal infighting, the Imperium collapsed into petty infighting, reorganization, and reconstruction, each subsequent incarnation of the Imperium a bit smaller than before. Finally, by the time of the Sixth Imperium, the racial core of insectile warriors that had made it so great had to admitt that racial fatigue and attrition had burnt the ambition out of the Dzedei. The survivors just wanted to rest back and enjoy some of the knowledge and treasure their ancestors had accumulated, while they still had it. The Dzedei consolidated their few remaining worlds, turned from empire-builders to scholars, and effectively settled back into retirement from the galactic stage.
The Dzedei are one of the few powers to actually welcome a Splugorth presence in their systems; they have graciously allowed Cybysscryth and his Network Omni News to set up shop in the Dzedei home system and use it as a communications hub. This has worked out quite well for Cybysscryth, who now has ready access to the accumulated knowledge of the Dzedei, while the latter get paid steady rent and the protection of the rogue Splugorth’s forces. Whether the Dzedei will ultimately be assimilated into Cybysscryth’s media empire or they will be revived as a nation of wide-media scholar-lords remains to be seen.

A. Size
Realistically, the Imperium now only holds any real sway over , where it once touched over ninety worlds.
About a dozen of the former Imperium holdings still pay lip-service loyalty to the Dzedei, sending token tributes amd ceremonial personnel once a year and on other occasions to commemorate various holidays, but the Republic itself exercises very little actual power(or loyalty).

B. History
Once the great Dzedei Imperium, now a shadow of itself.

--- Mature Space Age

--- Non-Interventionists

E. Racial Composition
80% Dzedei, 20% others(scholars retiring to the scholar-world, offworld students, or the increasing number of Cybysscryth minion species).

F. Government
Pecocracy, rule by the learned. Governmental recognition on the basis of published academic works has led sometimes to a ‘publish or perish’ mindset, or to an overblown academic press producing mountains of padded papers on all manner of sublime to ridiculous topics(one august Republic ‘senator’ wrote over eighteen volumes on tapioca-like foodstuffs, proper serving and presentation of, consumed in the Three Galaxies). There have been several reform efforts, over the years, to instate stricter and more relevent, academic reviews of such publications, but charges of a still very active ‘old boy network’ calling the shots in the halls of Republic government still echo.

Lax; while many of the former Imperial edicts and laws were never formally repealed, they carry very little weight these days. Occasionally, however, some clever lawyer will use them as precedent or as a loophole, forcing the court to either acknowledge them, or repeal them. These days the High Magistrates and Republican Baliffs are more concerned with catching plagarists and exam-cheaters than enforcing Imperial colonial policies.

H. External Trade
Manufacturing----Besides trade in information, the Dzedei do a brisk business selling finished goods; Dzedei manufacture has a Quadrant-wide reputaion for reliability and quality, if not quantity.
H1. Commodities
Exports: Consumer Goods, especially entertainment and information technologies.
Imports: Raw Materials. Because they can no longer simply order materials from their imperial holdings, the Dzedei must now buy raw materials for some of their technologies(and for the large communications arrays now going up in their system).

I. Status
In Decline; the Dzedei have sold off most of their galactic holdings.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Aramanthus wrote:The Alvis Parsley Persuasion

Alvis sightings obviously are taken as a divine sign?

Special OCC, Alvis impersonator? These guys have magic? Like a sort of Spell-vis? :lol:
taalismn
Priest

Jerell wrote:

Alvis sightings obviously are taken as a divine sign?

Special OCC, Alvis impersonator? These guys have magic? Like a sort of Spell-vis? :lol:

Laser-reflective rhinestone armor + highly polished black coif-helmet.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Jerell wrote:

OMG! another Gold Digger fan!
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Sat May 03, 2014 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

Qouric Hegemony(Anvil Galaxy)

“Sorva Carma 3422763, by order of the Social Utility Directorate of the Qouric Hegemony, your Social Utility Index has been reclassified. You are to cease current work at the Section 39 Consumer Products Chemical Works and report no later than 3-24-87 to the nearest BioResource Center for compulsory reassignment to a role better suited to the needs of the Hegemony. Failure to comply in timely manner will result in Social Utility Index Enforcement Implementation. Each and every asset must be utilized to maximum potential for the good of the Hegemony.”

The Qouric Hegemony is a human purist star kingdom with a checkered past and an uncertain(but increasingly likely violent) future.
The Hegemony was founded by humans, apparently immigrated via dimensional rift from another universe, and settling on the temperate world of Quonis. Despite some early factionalism that was quickly re-absorbed into the mainstream society, Qouran society has remained fairly stable and static for several thousand years. Quonis itself has seen little change, most of its surface designated into purpose-specific ‘zones’, with most of the population concentrated in several contigious ‘supercities’ served by more sparsely-populated agricultural and industrial regions.
Though threatened with overpopulation at times, the Qourans’ technology has kept abreast of the demand to feed and supply its people, and even given them a high standard of living(relative to more primitive worlds). However, progressive social reform was never one of the advancements of the Qourans, and social stratification became established and stayed well into their Space Age.
The eventual automation of most of Quoran heavy industry has led to problems of a large underemployed social under-class and a small controlling elite class. This has led to shimmering underclass resentment and numerous uprisings of the lower classes over the years, put down by an increasingly larger military raised to protect the upper classes.
In general, though, Qouran society was generally peaceful and fairly stable for several hundred years, but the last several decades have seen a horrid and radical transformation on the organization and focus of the Hegemony.
In a silent coup, an elite inner circle of oligarchs has usurped control of the Hegemony and overthrown almost all of the previous social safety mechanisms. Emboldened by recent technologcal developments and their own increasing greed and ambition, the new rulers have put the Hegemony on a path towards becoming a military machine aimed at galactic conquest.
Attempts to reform Qouran society ‘scientifically’ have been horribly corrupted; the introduction of a ‘social utility index’, grading members of society by their usefulness, has led to monstrous changes. Under the index’s ratings, only those with the most ‘utility’ are granted the rights and protections of citizenship, and access to resources . Increasing numbers of the underclasses are being drafted into the military where they are chemically brainwiped, brain-stamped, and steroid-pumped into conscript cannonfodder. Arguably less fortunate non-citizens are being broken up for medical spare parts for the military and citizen-class. The truly unhealthy, unemployable, and unfortunate are simply cut loose, denied medical care, food, and power. This ‘system’ is less than impartial; many people have been classed and targeted as ‘non-citizens’ simply at the caprice of the Directorate, and perfunctionary impressments and executions have taken place without opportunity allowed for appeal, while others have been shaken down for bribes to circumvent being drafted into either the military or the organ banks.
The Qourans managed to colonize several neighboring star systems via slowboat technologies. When the Qouran homeworld acquired FTL propulsion(via trade with outsiders), the Hegemony quickly used the new faster drive technology to impose their will on the previously distant and largely independent colonies. These worlds are now being ruthlessly exploited to send raw materials to feed the growing military on the homeworld, and the resulting warships sent back out to fortify the colonies as staging grounds for future expansion. The social utility index system has also begun being implemented on the colonies, eliminating potential dissidents first, though it hasn’t yet been fully established there, and many have escaped the Directorate’s nets.

It is uncertain why the Qouric Directorate has, after centuries of relative stability, suddenly turned into a tyranny of frightening proportions. Reliable information on the inner workings of the Hegemony’s government is getting harder to obtain as the Directorate imposes tighter controls on travel and information. Some sources claim that the responsible oligarchs have been driven mad as a side effect of longevity treatments, while other rumors claim dark alien influences(possibly Infernal) are behind the changes.

The Hegemony’s neighbors are nervously watching the military build-up on the borders, and analysts are predicting it is only a matter of time before the increasingly fanatically ambitious rulers of the Hegemony unleash their armies in a campaign of conquest in the sector.

A. Size
Currently holds 5 planets, but has recently conquered/annexed three other non-human worlds. Several other worlds in their sector have been scouted and claimed by the Hegemony for future colonial expansion(these claims have been contested by others in the sector and are a potential flashpoint with the Hegemony). The Hegemony has also been demanding territorial concessions from their neighbors, with the implication that they will use force if those demands are not met.

B. History
Newcomer Human-sept, pre Human Alliance. Possibly the result of an independent Rift migration or much earlier slowboat ‘seeding’ of Human life in the quadrant.

Mature Space Age, though it is still several generations of starflight technology behind the major powers of the Three Galaxies. Their largest warships could be considered to be equivalent to light cruisers by the standards of the CAF and Imperial Navy.

Militant Expansionists---The Hegemony has been ramping up its jingoism with increasingly human-supremacist, pro-Hegemonic, propoganda, legislation, and action.

E. Racial Composition
100% Human
Those few non-humans in the Hegemony are either increasingly rare traders and diplomats, or of a handful of mercenaries or slaves.

F. Government
Oligarchy, led by a hereditary elite. In recent years that circle of aristocrats has grown smaller and tighter, owing to liberal use of the ‘social utility index’ and armed force to cull potential rivals from the aristocratic Houses.

Draconian; the Directorate keeps tight reins on its members and punishes disobediance swiftly and harshly. Political police are always on the lookout for signs of disloyalty, and liberal use of a sliding-value Social Utility Index means that suspects can be quickly ‘reassigned’ to ‘more useful roles’.

H. External Trade
The Hegemony’s trade has tapered off in the last decade as the economy has switched to a war footing. These days, actual trade is now smuggling; the government uses military force to TAKE what it wants.
H1. Commodities
Exports: In the past, the Hegemony traded luxury technologies to its neighbors, such as robotics systems, vehicles, and electrionics, but that has since dried up.
Arguably the largest illegal export is people; Qouran citizens of lesser social utility rating attempting to flee while they still can, or ‘underground railroad’-style efforts to spirit underclass refugees out from under the claws of the Directorate’s Index Enforcement goons.
Imports: In the past, the Hegemony imported alien technologies and raw materials. These days it stripmines its colonies and satrapies for war materials, including flesh and blood.
There is some small smuggling in the way of medicines, humanitarian aide, and weapons to a few rebel organizations within the Hegemony, especially in the colonies.

I. Status
Ascendant, but not in a good way. The Qouric Hegemony has more than TRIPLED the size of its military in the last five years and shows no signs of stopping its militarization. It has already used its stronger military to annex or intimidate several neighboring non-human worlds, forcing them into the position of satrapy-worlds under Hegemonic rule. Major military action is expected sometime soon, if for no other reason than the nature of the chemical augments used on many of the conscript soldiers precludes a large standing force of them laying idle for very long.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

I like them both. One a power on the decline and the other a rising star. I know I need to get mine going again. And then post them.

HH....FIE
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

the Qouric Hegemony reminds me a bit of the worst parts of the United Republic of America and the Western hemisphere Union from the Coyote Novels by Allen Steele..

which means they need ship names like;
Seeking Glorious Destiny Amoung the Stars for the greater good of Social Collectivism

Travelling Forth to spread Social Collectiism to new Frontiers

Long Journey to the Galaxy in the Spirit of Social Collectivism
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:the Qouric Hegemony reminds me a bit of the worst parts of the United Republic of America and the Western hemisphere Union from the Coyote Novels by Allen Steele..

which means they need ship names like;
Seeking Glorious Destiny Amoung the Stars for the greater good of Social Collectivism

Travelling Forth to spread Social Collectiism to new Frontiers

Long Journey to the Galaxy in the Spirit of Social Collectivism

THen you have the Culture, with ship names like Would You Look At That?, Eat My Redshift, and Decisive Advantage.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

not enough Gravitas for a group of Draconian Oligarchs.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:not enough Gravitas for a group of Draconian Oligarchs.

Which makes their eventual defeat by ships sporting names such as Humbler of Idiots or Ironic Application of Kinetic Force all the more humiliating.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2004-06-20

Ob'enn Admiral: Then we cannot spare the forces. Just this morning the Spear of Incalculable Agony was thwarted by hitherto unknown rogue vessels hailing as Pterodactyl and Perjurious Discourse.
Ob'enn Commander: I'll grant the rogue this much: His ship names are less pretentious than are our own.
Ob'enn Admiral: Indeed. The Pretentious Drivel yesterday disabled the Sword of Indomitable Righteousness.
Ob'enn Commander: He's got a good sense of the ironic as well.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Sgt Anjay
Hero

Unread post by Sgt Anjay »

:lol:

...is there a list of awesome ship names thread somewhere? If not, you guys need to start one.
"Cuando amanece se van a inflictir, duros castigos y oscuros tormentos, a los que ni quieren ni dejan vivir" -'Posada de los Muertos'
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

there was a list of Fleetmind and o'benn warshuip names in my links somewhere, and you can find multiple lists of Culture vessels..

edit:
Fleetmind vessels:
Perjurious Discourse
Polysyllabic Designation
Pretentious Drivel
Pretty Dangerous
Pretty Dinky
Pterodactyl
Plaited Daisies
Predictably Damaged I
Predictably Damaged II
Predictably Damaged III
Predictably Damaged IV
Predictably Damaged V
Predictably Damaged VI
Potato Dumplings
Piece Docent
Priority Delivery
Painstakingly Defenestrated

Ob'enn vessels:
Cloak of Untrammeled Dignity
Spear of Incalculable Agony
Spear of Intoxicating Agony
Staff of Unyielding Order
Sword of Indomitable Righteousness
Sword of Inevitable Justice
Sceptre of Unrelenting Pain
Scimitar of Irreparable Damage

Mercenary Vessels:
Integrity
Colonel Pranger (formerly the Integrity)
Kitesfear
Post-Dated Check Loan (formerly Sword of Indomitable Righteousness)
Toenail One (ships longboat)
Scrapyard of Insufferable Arrogance (former Ob'enn fabber unit off the Sceptre of Unrelenting Pain)
Serial Peacemaker
Touch and Go (formerly the Integrity)
Bristlecone

UNS battleplates:
UNS Chicxulub
UNSV Chesapeake
UNS El'gygytgyn
UNS Morokweng
UNS Popigai
UNS Sudbury
UNS Tunguska
UNS Vredefort

Misc. UNS vessels:
Athens
Eatonrun MRES0-7A57Y (freighter)
Dublin
Quebec
Fiscal Singularity
Terra Firmator
Sudbury
Baghdad
Hanoi
Tokyo
Sarasota

Partnership collective vessels:
Habeas Corpus

Civilian ships:
Levelhead (freighter)

hard to classify:
Credomar Habitat/Long-gunner of the Apocalypse
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

"Defenestrated"...such a lovely word. :D

And you forgot the freighter 'Eton Runn'.(Schlock: The Longshoreman of the Apocalypse)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

you right, i forgot about the Eatonrun... callsign MRES0-7A57Y

i'll go back and fix that.. and add a few others i forgot..

also, some of the punchlines would make great ship names.. like "Negligent Regicide"

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:you right, i forgot about the Eatonrun... callsign MRES0-7A57Y

i'll go back and fix that.. and add a few others i forgot..

also, some of the punchlines would make great ship names.. like "Negligent Regicide"

I like 'Deceleration Trauma" for a reentry vehicle. :P
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

and culture ship names for those who aren't too good with google-fu..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sp ... ure_series

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:and culture ship names for those who aren't too good with google-fu..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sp ... ure_series

Gray Matter, otherwise known as Meat****er. Best avenging angel sense of justice EVER. :twisted: 8)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

personally only read Consider Phlebas and The Player of Games so far.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:personally only read Consider Phlebas and The Player of Games so far.

Excession.
Gray Matter is able to read neural patterns using his/its effectors, and is assigned, in pure Culture "Screw You, Prime Directive!" to digging through the brains of primitive cultures looking for evidence of crimes against sapience. One of his cases, he digs into the dreams of a retired military officer to uncover evidence of industrial-scale death camp-style ethnic cleansing, then makes the deathcamp commandant relive the deaths of his thousands of victims, until he dies of a double heart attack in his sleep.
The other Minds jeeringly bestow the name Meat****er on Gray Matter, much to his seething dislike.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

People’s Republic of Contoon and the Lo-Ting Electorate

Two minor one-system star-nations on the edge of Central Alliance space that were ruled respectively by Generalissimo Mucuis and High Mingu Tak Baol. Both nations were originally part of a larger hegemony, the short-lived Galderic Republic, held under the iron hand of empire-builder wannabee Prosecutor-General Goral Thorndak. However, before Thorndak could expand beyond the four systems he held, his ‘enlightened’ economic policies and police-state social management got him executed in a predictably inevitable uprising. Rather than form a socially enlightened government, however, the two leading revolutionaries and planetary leaders instead turned on each other, effectively split the old Republic between them, and commenced a decades-long war that effectively neutralized any gains made in the revolution.
It was only when the Central Alliance finally flexed its muscle in the region, that the decades-long feud ground to a halt, and both leaders were forced to an unwelcome truce or face the prospect of regime recycling by visiting Cyberhawks.
Showing his immense new-found and re-ignited love and friendship for his old buddy the High Mingu, Mucuis sent him an extremely expensive gift of over twenty genetically-engineered slave girls(twinged for telepathy and deep-imprinted with espionage skills), disguised assassin-meks, and other boobytrapped goodies, figuring the old Mingu’s perchance for lechery and excess would get the better of him. Unfortunately for Mucuis, the shipload of perverse pleasure never made it to Lo-Ting, having been inadvertantly waylaid by the ‘vicious’ pirate(actually a mild-mannered astromechanic) Tanar Shey, and misdirected to the family themepark moon of Fuzzinon in the neighboring Ulcha Unita system.
Ironically, by the same token, the Mingu’s reciprocal gift of genetically engineered flesh-eating slorc larva concealed within gimmicked crystal decanters of Mucuis’ favorite Orjellian Blue thick-wine, also was in the same transhippment zone as the gift-harem, and ALSO ended up being hijacked(by a different pirate group) and landed on Fuzzinon.
The initial reactions of both Generalissimo Mucuis and High Mingu Tal Baol to the failure of their brilliant plans have been lost to history, in the greater fervor of excitment surrounding the imposition of a Quarantine Alert One on Fuzzinon, the destruction of at least three separate Black Market operations, a minor A.I. revolt, the largest mass-marriage in Fuzzinon history ( which also spurred a rewritting of the Ulcha Unita’s Machine and Morality laws, and triggering the Mulzote Polygamy Wars), the beginning of the Anvil Network Bloodbath(as war broke out between over thirty entertainment and news networks over who got rights to the ‘Tanar Shey Story’), and the discovery of a trove of Ancient technology on Fuzzinon’s unclaimed desolate sister moon Uncompf.
Currently, both the Contoon Republic and the Electorate are in shambles, the debacle over Uncompf having wiped out the bulk of both planet’s remaining starships(and their upper echelon leadership; both Mucius and Tal Baol having rushed to Fuzzinon System to kill Tanar Shey and claim the riches of Uncompf for themselves). Frankly, the surviving governments of both planets are sighing in relief and debating whether or not they should join the Central Alliance, or try going it alone.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

ROFLMAO!!! That was another one of those systems people just have to visit on their bucket list. At least those bad choice ones.

HH....FIE
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Thers some Great ideas here.
taalismn
Priest

gaby wrote:Thers some Great ideas here.

Feel free to contribute.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

So... this thread of all that I've read managed to inspire me to research phase world and the three galaxies.

I am curious how would the Oni be reflected under this system? I ask as a reference for myself to work with.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
taalismn
Priest

Slight001 wrote:So... this thread of all that I've read managed to inspire me to research phase world and the three galaxies.

I am curious how would the Oni be reflected under this system? I ask as a reference for myself to work with.

The Oni are fairly well represented and described in the main books(especially Rifts Thundercloud), but the relevant points are as follows:

Bushi Federation
A. Size:
Small: Five (inhabited)worlds
Probably several dozen desert systems claimed for mining/resources, and likely have dozens more mapped for future claiming/military basing.
B. History
Newcomers
Stellar Age, with particularly advanced nanotechnology and stealth
Borderline Non-interventionists. Pragmatic Xenophobes
E. Racial Composition
92% Oni, 8% others
F. Government
Imperial system, with an Emperor, balanced by a strong aristocracy.
Strict, bordering on Draconian. Honor plays a great deal in punishment of officials failing in their duties, or found guilty of corruption(including consorting with outsiders).
H. External Trade
Limited; aside from unsanctioned zaibatzu trade with outsiders, official trade is strictly regulated so as not to entangle the Federation in the affairs of outsiders. Also, if anybody is to make a profit dealing with the outsiders, the government wants their piece of it, and wants to make certain it's done on terms favorable to the Oni.
H1. Commodities
Exports: Regulated nanotechnology, electronics, ship systems, some spacecraft.
Imports: Luxury goods, raw materials not found in Oni space
I. Status
Stable. Their expansion has been curtailed by strict government controls and a desire not to spread themselves out too thin(and vulnerable to outside attack).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

taalismn wrote:
Slight001 wrote:So... this thread of all that I've read managed to inspire me to research phase world and the three galaxies.

The Oni are fairly well represented and described in the main books(especially Rifts Thundercloud), but the relevant points are as follows: /snip

I asked mostly just to see how you, the creator of this system, would see the Oni within the context of your own creation. I specifically chose them for their size and aberrations compared to the other races.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
taalismn
Priest

Well, as stated, with modifications where they don't fit cleanly inside the listed categories. Especially with regards to their isolationist stance; they'd rather NOT have to deal with outsiders, but the smart and perceptive Oni know that just ignoring the outside universe and pretending it doesn't exist is asking for trouble when nations like the TGE, CCW, and even the Republik start expanding around the Federation and butting up against its declared borders. Theor current dealings with the CCW are something of a race against time; by nominally allying with the CCW, they hope to gain enough leverage to keep the CCW at arm's length, out of their space, and fighting the TGE and other would be nosey neighbors away from Oni space. On the minus side, trading with the outsiders is leading to more interest in the Oni and possible erosion of Oni culture as more and more ziabatsus and individual Oni concerns choose profit over state policy and consort with the barbarians.

My take?
The 8% 'other' in Oni space likely live the life of third-class apartheid 'citizens' , in fenced-in enclaves, requiring special permissions and work visas to leave, possess no representation in government, and require sponsorship from an Oni of station, who is held directly responsible for any wrongdoing on the non-Onis' part. Non-Oni might have a few rights, akin to those accorded to animals in America, but will be painfully aware that in some areas of the Federation even those rights aren't observed,
In spite of this, non-Oni are expected to know the language, proper etiquette, cultural mores, and observe them strictly. A non-Oni going further, attempting to learn the ways of the upper classes like the Samurai, are likely to be seen in mainstream Oni society, at best, as entertainingly clever animals, and at worst insultingly iireverant vermin. There are exceptions, however, such as enlightened or eccentric Oni aristos and politicos who give the non-Oni residents a fair shake, but the system exists as well to keep THEM at heel, since they have much to lose if their barbarian friends misbehave or screw up.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Warriors of the Megaverse Unite !

Unread post by Princedarkstorm »

great job mein friend!
taalismn
Priest

Princedarkstorm wrote:great job mein friend!

Glad to be of service. Got any kingdoms of your own people should know about? ;) :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Warriors of the Megaverse Unite !

Unread post by Princedarkstorm »

I will work on it when I can my friend

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”