Thundercloud is HERE!!!!

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hystrix
Champion

Re: Thundercloud is HERE!!!!

Unread post by Hystrix »

DhAkael wrote:
Hystrix wrote:Just got my copy yesterday. Looks pretty good so far.

One issue I have is the statistics on page 13, second bullet. So only one in 200 stars have planets at all? Very very low number. I understand the whole "galactic boisphere" thing. I'm not complaining, just seems low.

The other one I had was that the Bushi Federation has 3 billion Oni in the Thundercloud, yet there home planet (also in the Thundercloud) has a population of 10 billion? Typo? or am I just missing something.

All and all looks like a great book. Art, dimensional info, new races... great info. 3G has come a long way since the days of CJ Carella...

Just pencil / pen in a zero after the 3 on the tri-galatic numbers *shrug* not the first time a mega-typo has occoured. :D
Hopefully the 2nd printing will address that screw up (Read the Rifts main book, where the Psi-stalkers are only the size of ken / Barbie dolls). :lol:

Yeah, but I just wanna know what end the error is on. Is it supposed to be 30 billion Oni? or is the hom,e planet only supposed to have 1 billion insead of 10?

And I would never write in a Rifts book ;)
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

mumah wrote:It could also mean that there are 3 billion Oni living abroad in the Thundercloud, while 30 Billion reside on the planet itself. However, I am speculating. I'm sure Braden Campbell will be along soon to give a more accurate estimate.

Maybe that's it. Still a great book. Nice art work, BTW. Espesially pg 6! :D
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

So far, no major complaints with the book.
Mumah has done a bang-up job with the material visually and the text (though prone to minor ommissions and typo's) is pretty solid.

Yeah; this book was worth the coin spent. :D
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Oni population:
For what it's worth, my original notes put them at 32 billion in total. So, that would be 10 billion living on Hoshino, and the rest living elsewhere. It's either a typo or was adjusted down during editing. Happens.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Braden Campbell wrote:Oni population:
For what it's worth, my original notes put them at 32 billion in total. So, that would be 10 billion living on Hoshino, and the rest living elsewhere. It's either a typo or was adjusted down during editing. Happens.

32 Billion. I'll take that. Thanks, Braden... 8)
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Gotta wait until the 20th.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Awright...what did the guy on pg. 39 do that he's about to disembowel himself with a cyberai as his second?

Also, Amateratsu missed a bit if she didn''t let the Oni know that the Humans could be her worshippers too..unless she's expecting to come back and correct them later...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
mumah
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Attacking gazeebos since 1883!

Unread post by mumah »

taalismn wrote:Awright...what did the guy on pg. 39 do that he's about to disembowel himself with a cyberai as his second?

He lost a game of Scrabble.

Honestly, I didn't think about the guy's story much further than, "this will look cool."
"I remember your work." -Amy "The Unicorn" Ashbaugh
"What a talented schmoe." -Brian Manning
"Someday I'll be half as cool as Mumah." -Brian Manning
"Apollo Okamura drove here across the Atlantic from Japan." -Sarah Aten
taalismn
Priest

mumah wrote:
taalismn wrote:Awright...what did the guy on pg. 39 do that he's about to disembowel himself with a cyberai as his second?

He lost a game of Scrabble.

Honestly, I didn't think about the guy's story much further than, "this will look cool."

"YOU USED A GAIJAN WORD IN ONI SCRABBLE?!!! AND YO TRY TO GET A TRIPLE SCORE??!!! TAINT AND DISHONOR ON YOUR HOUSE!!!"
"How about we just call it 'Death for the greater aesthetic glory of the Federation'? We wouldn't want the gaijan to get funny ideas about us, after all."
"Oh, all right! Just as long as you're dead by sundown!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
mumah

Unread post by mumah »

Lol. Works for me!
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Braden Campbell wrote:"Life in the Spacelane" will be my next work, and yes, I'm under orders to get it done ASAP (instead fo next year). It will focus on Runners, Spacers, and Smugglers - and is a project I've wanted to do for a long while now.

Whereas "Fleets" had an emphasis on large capital ships and massive space battles, this book will look at the other end of the spectrum. At the Conference we called them "PC-sized vessels". And yes, two or three of us are working on a method for Players to build and modify these smaller types of spaceships.

After that, it's "United Worlds of Warlock" (which will, I hope, give you guys some info on the Thundercloud Possessions that are mentioned in "Thundercloud" but which unfortunately had to left out).

My wife be damned, will you marry me? :-D

The last bit of Madhaven took me longer than I thought it would so I only crack Thundercloud about 11 o'clock last night and only got through about 12 pages before I nodded off.

Oh, and is it me that everytime I see "Thunder Duck" I substitute the later "u" for an "i" and hear it in an ominous booming voice. Kind of a Monday Night fight announcer voice. I must have a messed up mind.
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

azazel1024 wrote:
Braden Campbell wrote:"Life in the Spacelane" will be my next work, and yes, I'm under orders to get it done ASAP (instead fo next year). It will focus on Runners, Spacers, and Smugglers - and is a project I've wanted to do for a long while now.

Whereas "Fleets" had an emphasis on large capital ships and massive space battles, this book will look at the other end of the spectrum. At the Conference we called them "PC-sized vessels". And yes, two or three of us are working on a method for Players to build and modify these smaller types of spaceships.

After that, it's "United Worlds of Warlock" (which will, I hope, give you guys some info on the Thundercloud Possessions that are mentioned in "Thundercloud" but which unfortunately had to left out).

My wife be damned, will you marry me? :-D

The last bit of Madhaven took me longer than I thought it would so I only crack Thundercloud about 11 o'clock last night and only got through about 12 pages before I nodded off.

Oh, and is it me that everytime I see "Thunder Duck" I substitute the later "u" for an "i" and hear it in an ominous booming voice. Kind of a Monday Night fight announcer voice. I must have a messed up mind.

:badbad: You have a very sick mind. :nh: :puke: :lol:
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Tyranneix
Explorer

Unread post by Tyranneix »

Loved the book! ESPECIALLY the Dominators! Holy Cow!

The random charts are well done and like someone said earlier, This is just what I needed to create chaos in the 3Gs. Great Job!
30+ year GM for the Palladium System; Robotech, RIFTS, Palladium Fantasy and other Palladium Books madness...
Nicknamed T-Bomb by Lord Z
501st Legion Member, Sandtrooper TD8732, Florida Garrison, Squad 7
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

As I said, I'm lovin' the book. But I still want an answer about the whole "only 1 in 200 stars have planets"?!?
azazel1024
Champion

Could be that Thundercloud, or the three galaxies has a different balance than our own Galaxy. The Milk Way seems to probably be more like 1 in 2 stars has some kind of planet, at least that is what we are steadily building evidence towards. That doesn't necessarily mean that is the universal norm, let alone what it might be in another galaxy in another universe. Heck it is stated that the habitable band is only something like 30-40 light years thick in the various galaxies (no known constraints in our own Milky Way).

I hate to say it, but author Fiat to write it different from what "reality" might be is probably for the best in this case. Habitable planets being "relatively" rare is a lot better than every 5th star having something habitable. It explains lower populations better and also the importance of finding a highly habitable star/planet that much more.
Braden Campbell

The ratio was also an instance of game design trumping real-world for games' sake. We call it "game-real as opposed to real-real".

If half of the stars in the Thundercloud develop planets, then there would be more than 60 billion systems out there. And if even one half of one half of a percent of those systems developed planets that could support life... well, Wayne Smith and I discussed it and in the end we both argreed that the number had to be scalled waaaay back. It was simply overwhelming otherwise.
Braden, GMPhD

taalismn
Priest

azazel1024 wrote:[

It's you.
I have no such inclinations.
On the other hand, my first thought on seeing the Dominator on pg. 24:
"Honey! I'm HOME! Look what I brought you!"

OR...

"I'm grateful for this stress-relief toy! ARGGHHH!!!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Braden Campbell wrote:...a bunch of photonic/robot probes that nobady knows what to do with...

I really dug these, can't quite recall the exact spelling of their name at the moment. Very creepy and intriguing. I do think that the larger tentacles need to have a higher P.S. the others, because the flavor text says they're for the heavy lifting...but they have the same Robotic strength as written.

I haven't got a chance to fully read the book yet---Darn mother's day---for some reason my wife wanted me to work around the house instead of reading a gaming book. Some how she didn't seem concerned that I've been waiting for this book for 3 YEARS! Just kidding. I'll probably get to read more tonight and the next couple of days...
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Braden Campbell wrote:The ratio was also an instance of game design trumping real-world for games' sake. We call it "game-real as opposed to real-real".

If half of the stars in the Thundercloud develop planets, then there would be more than 60 billion systems out there. And if even one half of one half of a percent of those systems developed planets that could support life... well, Wayne Smith and I discussed it and in the end we both argreed that the number had to be scalled waaaay back. It was simply overwhelming otherwise.

Well that explains it at least. Thank you.
azazel1024
Champion

I am really liking the Killaryte (sp?) funded planet grab. I think it helps give the setting some of the gold/silver/oil rush feeling, combined with the typical imperial expansion to counter act everyone else's imperial expansion both mentioned in the book and overall feeling of 17-19th century European powers.

Only 20 odd pages in now and wishing I was at home reading more of the box instead of stuck here in my dreary cubicle. At least I have giant picture windows on the otherside of my biege carpeted cubicle wall. Though somehow that makes it worse. Anyone want to lend me a power drill and some phillips head bits so I can go all office space on my cubicle wall???
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Anyone want to lend me a power drill and some phillips head bits so I can go all office space on my cubicle wall???

Sorry Az; all I have is a 5lbs. log-splitter or a reciprocal-saw :D
But yes, the Thundercloud now has PURPOSE in my Tri-Gal part of the campaign. It's no longer just "Oh that place that looks like a giant hurricane."
Now it can be;
"That place with those crystal what go boom that the blue-skins REALLY REALLY want...oh and Kreegohr...and Hummies...well a whack load of people want 'em and :eek: :? NO ONE SAID ANYTHING ABOUT SPELL-SLINGING LIONS!
Ack! Ancient death machines?! Advance to the rear! Get us out of this mad house galaxy. Oh forge-crack... Dominator? Really?"

Leaves of the lotus rise

ghost2020
Adventurer

Unread post by ghost2020 »

All I need to know is if the word "carpetbagger" is used anywhere in the book? It seems like every other Palladium book has a reference to it. Kevin must like it, and it seems to find a way into almost every book.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

ghost2020 wrote:All I need to know is if the word "carpetbagger" is used anywhere in the book? It seems like every other Palladium book has a reference to it. Kevin must like it, and it seems to find a way into almost every book.

Bizzarely enough...didn't see it, but then again, the repetitiveness of the editing of Pbooks has me skip entrys like "Can never be reproduced. Impossible to build. Just don't try this at home kids."
etc etc etc... Kinda gets monotonous; why I just ignore that [cesnored] and do my own thing with the material.

Leaves of the lotus rise

Braden Campbell

ghost2020 wrote:All I need to know is if the word "carpetbagger" is used anywhere in the book?

Not by me, it wasn't.

"Vainglorious", on the other hand, is in there. ;)
Braden, GMPhD

mumah

Unread post by mumah »

I drew a carpetbagger. See if you can find him!
ghost2020
Adventurer

Unread post by ghost2020 »

Braden Campbell wrote:"Vainglorious", on the other hand, is in there. ;)

Well done!!! :D
taalismn
Priest

Braden Campbell wrote:
ghost2020 wrote:All I need to know is if the word "carpetbagger" is used anywhere in the book?

Not by me, it wasn't.

"Vainglorious", on the other hand, is in there. ;)

Given the "Imperialism' theme to the book and the visual and material shoutouts to 'Zuku', it's appropriate.
'Vainglorious' is just such a BRITISH turn of phrase, along with 'Miles Standish' and 'twit'.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

:D "Hello, Palladium Books Customer Service Line.

My name is Kevin and I'm the Manager/Owner/Editor/Head GM/Intern/Janitor here. How can I help you"

:-x "Uh, yeah, my name is Cornholioprime, and I bought your book the other day, and I just got through reading how Desslyth was more or less responsible for everything from Bad Refereeing in the last Super Bowl up to and including Galactic Genocide.....and yet after all that tantalizing goodness, you didn't put him and/or his son into the Book.

What's the deal with that, bruh?!?"
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
azazel1024
Champion

I haven't gotten far enough to see that he isn't in the book.

But...

space considerations maybe? I'd rather have an extra 2-4 pages of material than stats of another splugorth. I'd just use what is in WB2 Atlantis if you need to roll up Desslyth. Give him on the low end or even 10-20% lower than the low end physical stats because of extremely "advanced" age.
Braden Campbell

cornholioprime wrote:... I just got through reading how Desslyth was more or less responsible for everything from Bad Refereeing in the last Super Bowl up to and including Galactic Genocide.....and yet after all that tantalizing goodness, you didn't put him and/or his son into the Book.

The section on the Kingdom of Desslyth, as written, was kind of weak. And I say this as the author. Therefore, it was cut for weakness, and the editing staff was correct to do so. And that's alright... after all, Lord Klyncryth owns a whole half a level of center, and he's statless.

From my notes then, are a few more tidbits about the Kingdom of Desslyth, just for you guys.

* The Throne World is called Symysul, and the capital city is called Lirtasa.

* Desslyth the Elder is 250,000 years old; which is about as old as a Splugorth intelligence can normally get.

* Late in his life, he regretted not creating a spawn, and so, against the advice of his physicians, he did so... and then immediately fell into a coma because of the strain. He was hooked up to an elaborate bio-wizard life support system.

* Desslyth the Younger was then tutored by High Lords, Shakdan, and other such beings because his "father was unable to teach him the ways of the Splugorth.

* However, because of his unique upbringing, Desslyth the Younger can't bring himself to pull the plug on his old man. He continues to rule as Regent, even though there is no way in hell that Desslyth the Elder will ever regain conciseness.

* The kingdom is in a state of full-out war against the TGE, and has therefore transmuted almost all of its overlords (base MDC of 75) so that they act as better anti-Kreeghor shock troops.

* Lirtasa deals in slaves captured from around the Thundercloud, and sells exotic elixirs and recreational drugs... but the bulk of its economy caters to explorers and adventurers - you need gear for your expedition (including porters or hired manpower), then you can get it here! Most galactic game hunters bring in captured live animals to the city holding pens as well, where they are then purchased by zoos and taken back to the Anvil or Corkscrew.

* If the Thundercloud is Colonial Africa in space with lasers... then the Kingdom of Desslyth would be Zanzibar.
Last edited by Braden Campbell on Thu May 12, 2011 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Braden, GMPhD

mumah

Unread post by mumah »

The illustration on page 6 is evidence that the Splugorth were originally included. I'm sure they'll pop up in one of the succeeding releases.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Y'know; the stat-less Sploogie kingdom / entity actually WORKS for me.
That way the players can never tell exactly where / what they are dealing with :D :D :D

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

mumah wrote:The illustration on page 6 is evidence that the Splugorth were originally included. I'm sure they'll pop up in one of the succeeding releases.

Well, thanks to that, we know he has a thing for elves...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

I saw a copy in the local game store, thumbed through it........all i gotta say, OMG :shock:
What a great book.......i was looking at the different alien races, and my wife (NOT a gamer) got a kick out of the centaur porcupine. that was pretty funny.
The Dragon Has Spoken
taalismn
Priest

Snake Eyes wrote:I saw a copy in the local game store, thumbed through it........all i gotta say, OMG :shock:
What a great book.......i was looking at the different alien races, and my wife (NOT a gamer) got a kick out of the centaur porcupine. that was pretty funny.

Put it on the list of "Things that would make great Palladium Plushies".
Right after the Splugorth Intelligence, of course. :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Braden Campbell wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:... I just got through reading how Desslyth was more or less responsible for everything from Bad Refereeing in the last Super Bowl up to and including Galactic Genocide.....and yet after all that tantalizing goodness, you didn't put him and/or his son into the Book.

The section on the Kingdom of Desslyth, as written, was kind of weak. And I say this as the author. Therefore, it was cut for weakness, and the editing staff was correct to do so. And that's alright... after all, Lord Klyncryth owns a whole half a level of center, and he's statless.

From my notes then, are a few more tidbits about the Kingdom of Desslyth, just for you guys.

* The Throne World is called Symysul, and the capital city is called Lirtasa.

* Desslyth the Elder is 250,000 years old; which is about as old as a Splugorth intelligence can normally get.

* Late in his life, he regretted not creating a spawn, and so, against the advice of his physicians, he did so... and then immediately fell into a coma because of the strain. He was hooked up to an elaborate bio-wizard life support system.

* Desslyth the Younger was then tutored by High Lords, Shakdan, and other such beings because his "father was unable to teach him the ways of the Splugorth.

* However, because of his unique upbringing, Desslyth the Younger can't bring himself to pull the plug on his old man. He continues to rule as Regent, even though there is no way in hell that Desslyth the Elder will ever regain conciseness.

* The kingdom is in a state of full-out war against the TGE, and has therefore transmuted almost all of its overlords (base MDC of 75) so that they act as better anti-Kreeghor shock troops.

* Lirtasa deals in slaves captured from around the Thundercloud, and sells exotic elixirs and recreational drugs... but the bulk of its economy caters to explorers and adventurers - you need gear for your expedition (including porters or hired manpower), then you can get it here! Most galactic game hunters bring in captured live animals to the city holding pens as well, where they are then purchased by zoos and taken back to the Anvil or Corkscrew.

* If the Thundercloud is Colonial Africa in space with lasers... then the Kingdom of Desslyth would be Zanzibar.
Per the info on page 74 of Dragons and Gods ("[Alien] Intelligences are immortal"), and indirect information on page 24 of Rifts: Vampire Kingdoms ("Vampires can live for millions of years, for as long as their creator Intelligence does"), I really wish that you had left the Splugorth as "immortal" like the rest of Alien Intelligence-kind instead of just "long-lived," and come up with another story to explain Desslyth's convalescence, but Kevin apparently approved the ret-con (unless it just slipped by him) and/or agrees with you that Splugorth are limited-lifespan exceptions to the Alien Intelligence 'rule,' so c'est la vie. :wink:

Interesting section, though -perhaps it could have still made it into the book somehow with a little re-writing and editing. I liked it, anyway.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Braden Campbell

The Splugorth have had a limited lifespan since, oh, 1992, when Atlantis first came out. When I read that their average lifespan was a quarter million years... and Terri Schiavo was in the news at the time... well, that's where the idea came from.

And now you know. ;)
Braden, GMPhD

Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Braden Campbell wrote:The Splugorth have had a limited lifespan since, oh, 1992, when Atlantis first came out. When I read that their average lifespan was a quarter million years... and Terri Schiavo was in the news at the time... well, that's where the idea came from.

And now you know. ;)

And knowing is half the battle. :D

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
mumah

Unread post by mumah »

Shawn Merrow wrote:
Braden Campbell wrote:The Splugorth have had a limited lifespan since, oh, 1992, when Atlantis first came out. When I read that their average lifespan was a quarter million years... and Terri Schiavo was in the news at the time... well, that's where the idea came from.

And now you know. ;)

And the other half? Violence. Delicious, bloody, Violence.
Tyranneix
Explorer

Unread post by Tyranneix »

mumah wrote:
Shawn Merrow wrote:

And now you know. ;)

And the other half? Violence. Delicious, bloody, Violence.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Thanks for the info on the Splugorth Braden. Your right, I like it better this way.
30+ year GM for the Palladium System; Robotech, RIFTS, Palladium Fantasy and other Palladium Books madness...
Nicknamed T-Bomb by Lord Z
501st Legion Member, Sandtrooper TD8732, Florida Garrison, Squad 7
mumah

Unread post by mumah »

G-Zombie wrote:
I LIKE THE HOTTIES...CAN I HAVE SOME MORE PLEASE!

There will be hotties in Vampire Kingdoms!!!
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

taalismn wrote:
Snake Eyes wrote:I saw a copy in the local game store, thumbed through it........all i gotta say, OMG :shock:

Put it on the list of "Things that would make great Palladium Plushies".
Right after the Splugorth Intelligence, of course. :D

Palladium Plushies........i'm all for that......we should start bugging kevin & company :D
The Dragon Has Spoken
taalismn
Priest

mumah wrote:
G-Zombie wrote:
I LIKE THE HOTTIES...CAN I HAVE SOME MORE PLEASE!

There will be hotties in Vampire Kingdoms!!!

Of course, given that it's a vampire book, they'll only be hot after they've...I dunno...SUCKED EVERY DROP OF WARM BLOOD OUT OF YOUR BODY.
Thank you, but no, I'm not into necrophilia, especially when -I'M- the dead one.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

*preps the orbital reflector arrays*
"Ahhhhh.... sunbathing at midnight in Mexico. Well, lookee here. Our first customers."

-whumph-

"Smell that? You smell that; that's vamp son. Nothin' in the world smells like it. I love the smell of burnt vamp in the mornin' (12am technically is morning). It smells like... ... burning vampires." :D

Leaves of the lotus rise

Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

I can't say I'm as happy with it as everyone else seems to be. Wish I was, because I was looking forward to it.

Here's some things I've found wrong with it so far:

The very first paragraph of actual text, not counting those quotes, there is this line:
For the first time in decades, this new leader was from a species other than juman.

Anyone else see that? Now, I can understand how that typing error occurred. J and H are beside each other on the keyboard. What I don't understand is how it wasn't caught by who ever wrote it, whoever reviewed and whoever editted it.

I shrugged. Just a typo, which happens a lot in Palladium books. This may be the first time it showed up so early in a book, but again, this isn't in and of itself unusual for Palladium. And this thought I was having, forgiving Palladium for this, is itself, an unfortunate commentary on the company.

Okay, so I was willing to let it slide. Just a minor quibble. (But not the only typo in the book!) Because just a little bit later in that same paragraph we're learning how this leader is going to change the CCW with their platform of common sense. I love common sense! So what is one of the first things this new leader does? They order an investigation of Naruni Enterprises and the Thundercloud Development Company. The first is a multi-dimensional, trans-galactic company and the other is a galactic level colonial organization. Okay, so far so good. I approve.

So how many agents does this leader who is lauded for their common sense send? This leader, who is responsible for a civilization that is found in three galaxies and is responsible for trillions of sentients? One. Just one. My brain choked on that one. The follow up of hundreds is no better when put into proper scale.

This is a very, very bad first impression for a book to be making.

Other things I didn't like about the book.

The CCW, once the shining contrast to the TGE is now breaking it's own rules, oops, I mean reinterpreting them and basically becoming the bag guys while the TGE becomes the good guys.

Heavy handed comparisons to African colonism. We even have African animals as aliens now (I will admit to liking the Thunder Duck). But yeah, we get it already. Colonialism = evil.

It's not all bad though. Here are some of the books redeeming qualities.

The only alien race I like out of this book is the Whetu. Finally, an alien that looks like an alien. Good job there.

The section in the back with the 101 adventure ideas also has a lot of usable material in it. Content wise, these 20 or so pages prevent it from being a total wash.

The art in the book, I must say, is excellent. A lot of art that Palladium puts into its books is not. But to be honest, I'd rather have excellent content and slipshod art then the other way around.

Overall, I give this book a four out of ten.

I will end this by saying that I don't think that Braden Cambell is a bad writer. I've enjoyed everything else Palladium has published with his name on it. You can't please all of the people, all of the time. And I don't know how much of what I disliked was from him or another source. I do hope to see more from him in the future, and hopefully the material will live up to past expectations.

Good day.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
azazel1024
Champion

Okay, I got to the thunder duck. I actually really like. My only quibble is I'd like to see more uses for them/their feathers.

Like maybe say a talisman/necklace made out of one or more Larduuk feathers reduces damage from electrical attacks by half or something like that. Something fun.

It is making me think that what 3G setting really needs is a monsters and animals (and plants) book kind of like PFRPG has.

I'd say I am interested in doing one, and I am going to get right on writting such a book and presenting my rockin' idea to KS.

But I know I am mostly just talk. I do have a few, what I think, are great ideas for plants, monsters and animals as well as some herbology (mystical and not) for the 3G setting.
chef1
D-Bee

Unread post by chef1 »

I got mine in the mail about a week ago im loving it!
taalismn
Priest

chef1 wrote:I got mine in the mail about a week ago im loving it!

Once you start combining it with other books and material....(looks blissful)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Jockitch74
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jockitch74 »

Cybermancer wrote:I can't say I'm as happy with it as everyone else seems to be. Wish I was, because I was looking forward to it.

Here's some things I've found wrong with it so far:

The very first paragraph of actual text, not counting those quotes, there is this line:
For the first time in decades, this new leader was from a species other than juman.

Anyone else see that? Now, I can understand how that typing error occurred. J and H are beside each other on the keyboard. What I don't understand is how it wasn't caught by who ever wrote it, whoever reviewed and whoever editted it.

I shrugged. Just a typo, which happens a lot in Palladium books. This may be the first time it showed up so early in a book, but again, this isn't in and of itself unusual for Palladium. And this thought I was having, forgiving Palladium for this, is itself, an unfortunate commentary on the company.

Okay, so I was willing to let it slide. Just a minor quibble. (But not the only typo in the book!) Because just a little bit later in that same paragraph we're learning how this leader is going to change the CCW with their platform of common sense. I love common sense! So what is one of the first things this new leader does? They order an investigation of Naruni Enterprises and the Thundercloud Development Company. The first is a multi-dimensional, trans-galactic company and the other is a galactic level colonial organization. Okay, so far so good. I approve.

So how many agents does this leader who is lauded for their common sense send? This leader, who is responsible for a civilization that is found in three galaxies and is responsible for trillions of sentients? One. Just one. My brain choked on that one. The follow up of hundreds is no better when put into proper scale.

This is a very, very bad first impression for a book to be making.

Other things I didn't like about the book.

The CCW, once the shining contrast to the TGE is now breaking it's own rules, oops, I mean reinterpreting them and basically becoming the bag guys while the TGE becomes the good guys.

Heavy handed comparisons to African colonism. We even have African animals as aliens now (I will admit to liking the Thunder Duck). But yeah, we get it already. Colonialism = evil.

It's not all bad though. Here are some of the books redeeming qualities.

The only alien race I like out of this book is the Whetu. Finally, an alien that looks like an alien. Good job there.

The section in the back with the 101 adventure ideas also has a lot of usable material in it. Content wise, these 20 or so pages prevent it from being a total wash.

The art in the book, I must say, is excellent. A lot of art that Palladium puts into its books is not. But to be honest, I'd rather have excellent content and slipshod art then the other way around.

Overall, I give this book a four out of ten.

I will end this by saying that I don't think that Braden Cambell is a bad writer. I've enjoyed everything else Palladium has published with his name on it. You can't please all of the people, all of the time. And I don't know how much of what I disliked was from him or another source. I do hope to see more from him in the future, and hopefully the material will live up to past expectations.

Good day.

Agree 100%. This book ranks right up there with WB: England for me.
"Knowledge is the key to the universe"
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

azazel1024 wrote:I'd say I am interested in doing one, and I am going to get right on writting such a book and presenting my rockin' idea to KS.

But I know I am mostly just talk. I do have a few, what I think, are great ideas for plants, monsters and animals as well as some herbology (mystical and not) for the 3G setting.

Just do a few and submit it to the Rifter. Please you can elaborate on what can be done with the Thunderduck feathers ;)
ImageImage

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”