Thundercloud is HERE!!!!

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Thundercloud is HERE!!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Just got my copy of Thundercloud Galaxy today and I'm rather impressed. Mumah's artwork was EXCELLENT!!! I think he really captured the feel of most of the creatures. Now admittedly I've few minor quibbles (I wouldn't be me if I didn't :lol: ); 1) Why do gravity wave weapons only do 1/3 damage against magic & magical beings? Would this also affect Sea Titans, True Atlanteans?
2) I'm not sure of all of the animalistic races, but I can generally deal, at least they're kinda interesting.
3) Are the Gene-Tech the same as Gene Splicers?
4) Hedgehogs?! :scratches head :-? : (don't hate 'em just confuddled).
5) What happened to the UFO beings from Phase World? Where are the Invaders now?
6) Ok NOW I get the references to "Thunderduck", unusual. Not sure if I can really use them yet.
7) More info on the probes please, y'know the ones tha don't really answer questions, "We are here to observe you."
Ok back to the really good stuff; I absolutely LOVE the Shing, I'm planning on having them hook up with the Kirn from Manhunter, could be interesting. I also like that there is still plenty of "empty space" in the Thundercloud, so any group I might drop in there will have room to expand. I also like that the previous "under dogs", the Golgan Republic, are also depicted as "The Bad Guys" esp. where the Shing are concerned.
I also found it interesting that the Oni word for "goblin" sounds like "human", could be interesting. In one of my games the goddess Amaterasu was actually the Japanese goddess, but she was also of the Ancient Martian race (pre dating humans by several million years), thus her knowledge of technology.
And of course my favorite group to hate, The TGE (I wiped them out in a different game).
Just a word of warning, the "Conestoga class" was also used in StarTrek in reference to a colony class vessel.
The background info in the beginning of the book was quite solid, it provided just the right amount of info and still left room for people to be able to draw their own conclusions.
:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: 4 thumbs up!!!
Note: Edited to spell mumah's name right! :lol: (12:06 Am EST)
Last edited by keir451 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
taalismn
Priest

Re: Thundercloud is HERE!!!!

Unread post by taalismn »

The Gene-Tech and the Gene-Splicers are two separate peoples, though both are tall, thin, emotionally-detached intellectual species who like experimenting on other peoples. Not much, if anything, has been said whether the two species are related. Anvil Galaxy states that there's no evidence, beyond the circumstancial, to suggest they ARE related in any way. Gene Splicers seem more introverted and obsessed with their persona studies, while the Gene-Tech are a tad more social and will modify other people and recruit them into their growing army of monstrosities, and may even take requests for genetic modification work.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
mumah
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Attacking gazeebos since 1883!

Unread post by mumah »

You could at least spell my name right, sir. :twisted:
"I remember your work." -Amy "The Unicorn" Ashbaugh
"What a talented schmoe." -Brian Manning
"Someday I'll be half as cool as Mumah." -Brian Manning
"Apollo Okamura drove here across the Atlantic from Japan." -Sarah Aten
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

taalismn wrote:The Gene-Tech and the Gene-Splicers are two separate peoples, though both are tall, thin, emotionally-detached intellectual species who like experimenting on other peoples. Not much, if anything, has been said whether the two species are related. Anvil Galaxy states that there's no evidence, beyond the circumstancial, to suggest they ARE related in any way. Gene Splicers seem more introverted and obsessed with their persona studies, while the Gene-Tech are a tad more social and will modify other people and recruit them into their growing army of monstrosities, and may even take requests for genetic modification work.

Yeah; Parrallel evolution...sorta like Shemarrians and Shem-rahn :angel:
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

mumah wrote:You could at least spell my name right, sir. :twisted:

:oops: Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa :D Problem has been rectified (it's been a loooooong day, finals week for me), and don't call me "Sir" I work for a living (as my old NCO's used to say) :lol: But yes very good artwork, The lines were clean and the images were fresh. Keep it up!! :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

@DhAkael; Shem-rahn? :-?
mumah

Unread post by mumah »

Thank you. I call everyone sir, as a token of respect. Somehow it's entered my vernacular like a tapeworm, without the lovely weight loss to with it. I'm glad you like the book, and I'm very glad you enjoyed the artwork. And the Thunder Duck is awesome. Very awesome. And I mean awesome not in it's contemporary "Dude, that's like righteous in a tubular sort of way," but instead in its original, "Dude, that's some scary **** over there."
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

keir451 wrote:

:oops: Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa :D Problem has been rectified (it's been a loooooong day, finals week for me), and don't call me "Sir" I work for a living (as my old NCO's used to say) :lol: But yes very good artwork, The lines were clean and the images were fresh. Keep it up!! :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

viewtopic.php?p=2018873#p2018873
just bellow that, a few posts later, is the Shem-Rahn.

Leaves of the lotus rise

keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

DhAkael wrote:
keir451 wrote:

viewtopic.php?p=2018873#p2018873
just bellow that, a few posts later, is the Shem-Rahn.

Hmmm, interesting indeed. Well done! I may swipe that one for use later on. :wink:
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

I am going to do my damndest to avoid threads like these until I get my copy and can start reading it. Which might be awhile, I am cheap so I picked media mail. If I am lucky I'll get it around Monday or Tuesday. However, I ordered Madhaven as well, and no knock against Madhaven, as I am eagerly await that book as well...but I tend to read the books from anticipated to most anticipated when I get more than one at a time from PB (as I am often wont to do). So it might be a week or even two before I have a chance to crack my copy.

Oh the anticipation is killing me!
taalismn
Priest

azazel1024 wrote:I am going to do my damndest to avoid threads like these until I get my copy and can start reading it. Which might be awhile, I am cheap so I picked media mail. If I am lucky I'll get it around Monday or Tuesday. However, I ordered Madhaven as well, and no knock against Madhaven, as I am eagerly await that book as well...but I tend to read the books from anticipated to most anticipated when I get more than one at a time from PB (as I am often wont to do). So it might be a week or even two before I have a chance to crack my copy.

Likewise I went the way of Budget, so I too must wait, friend. So we must both try to avoid listening to others' glee or critical commentary, so we might, when our own copies arrive, view them with fresh and unbiased eyes and make our own decisions as to whether it was money well spent. It will be difficult, but we will persevere in this. PLus I ordered Heroes of the Megaverse(watch as next year it's offered as an extra with the Rifter re-sub!).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

azazel1024 wrote:I am going to do my damndest to avoid threads like these until I get my copy and can start reading it. Which might be awhile, I am cheap so I picked media mail. If I am lucky I'll get it around Monday or Tuesday. However, I ordered Madhaven as well, and no knock against Madhaven, as I am eagerly await that book as well...but I tend to read the books from anticipated to most anticipated when I get more than one at a time from PB (as I am often wont to do). So it might be a week or even two before I have a chance to crack my copy.

No offense taken against Madhaven. Thundercloud is awesome!!! Enjoy Madhaven when you get the chance and feel free to PM me feedback.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
cchopps
Adventurer

Unread post by cchopps »

Man I hope mine is waiting for me when I get home tonight!!!

In my game, I have the Gene Splicers as a 3rd political/philosophical faction of the same race. Gene Tech, Gene Threshers (per Anvil Galaxy book), and Gene Splicers. When you compare stats of the Splicers to the Gene Tech they are almost identical and easily attributed to small variances in the groups self modification practices.

C. Chopps
taalismn
Priest

cchopps wrote:Man I hope mine is waiting for me when I get home tonight!!!

In my game, I have the Gene Splicers as a 3rd political/philosophical faction of the same race. Gene Tech, Gene Threshers (per Anvil Galaxy book), and Gene Splicers. When you compare stats of the Splicers to the Gene Tech they are almost identical and easily attributed to small variances in the groups self modification practices.

C. Chopps

I was thinking political/social schisms myself, with both branches effectively denying the other exists, as in all good and nasty family feuds.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
cchopps
Adventurer

Unread post by cchopps »

taalismn wrote:
cchopps wrote:Man I hope mine is waiting for me when I get home tonight!!!

C. Chopps

I was thinking political/social schisms myself, with both branches effectively denying the other exists, as in all good and nasty family feuds.

BINGO!

C. Chopps
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

I got mine so soon even thru media mail becasue I also reside in michigan, I'm only a few hours from Palladium's home base. :D
Still gotta say this was a good piece of work, admittedly I wouldn't have nided a littel more info on the Elder races, but I've got enough that I can fill in my own blanks.
Considering using the Protoculture race as one of the Elder races.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Great
Tell me what do you think of the New Races in it?

What do you think is the bigest mistake in it?
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

gaby wrote:Great
Tell me what do you think of the New Races in it?

What do you think is the bigest mistake in it?

I think the races are OK, It was a bit of a head scratcher that many of them are patterned after Terran animals, but generally they're OK. I think the Shing as a race are really neat; Intelligent beings that aren't tool users in the classic sense (no opposable thumbs) but use magic even more exclusively than any other race I can actively remember.
The biggest mistake (if you call it a mistake) would be a bit more info on the Elder races and some more background info on Pyashche probes.
In comparison to some other Rifts books this book is one that I can easily adapt to any other Palladium system, or my own stuff with little alteration (you've no idea how happy I am over that) it'll even fit well with the Manhunter setting and vice versa.
I can easily substitute any one of my ancient races as one of the Elder Races.
For instance, I have it that 1 million yrs ago an extra dimensional force attacked the Desslyth sector in the Corckscrew Galaxy and just shattered it, thus paving the way for what became the TGE. Recently there have been rumors of sightings of a maasive continental sized, dagger shaped starship. No one knows who owns it or what group it represents, but it has been associated with a "new" race that has appeared on the scene called the Kyridians, black skinned, orange eyed, with white hair, small sized (not muchover 5 ft) and EXTREMELY attractive.
taalismn
Priest

Just got it....first skim thru: clean art, good set of charts for setting up elder races. monsters, and colonies. Some decent monsters, adn a few decent races.
Some expansion on the Dominators to make them a little more complex than 'kill everybody before they kill us".
Downside: There's a whole 'African Colonialism' theme that's a little TOO blatant(pictures of colonials as Victorian-era British settlers and soldiers are all very amusing and fine, but some of the races come off as too much like something I'd expect to see from 'After the Bomb in Space'...We got Space-Hyenas, Space-Pygmies, Space-TstseFLies, Space-Crocodiles, Space-Amish/Boers, and , oh yeah, Space-Zebras against Space-Lions). The quote by Cecil Rhodes at the beginning is the warning of this...

So far, though, for the random set-up charts and the Elder Race relics and adventure seeds, I'm impressed with the book, however.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Voidrunner wrote:my copy arrived last Thursday. read it and love it.

Yep...can't wait to start rolling up ELDER RACES FROM HELL!!!!!!!!
"Hi, we're the Cosmic Geezers and we refuse to Retire, Ascend, or Fade Away. Move over and give me your seat/spacecraft/planet, punk!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
azazel1024
Champion

The Galactus Kid wrote:

No offense taken against Madhaven. Thundercloud is awesome!!! Enjoy Madhaven when you get the chance and feel free to PM me feedback.

I am glad none was taken.

Its like a choice between a blonde and a redhead. I mean heck, I get em both and I love blondes and redheads, but I can only read one at a time...which one to pick. Well, at least in this light maybe the redhead :wink:

Still waiting, sigh. Maybe its in todays mail. I've had luck before that media mail showed up in a week or less (actually I think 4 out of 5 times I've ordered from PB (always media mail) it shows up within 7 business days)).
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well if you do not like the appearance of the aliens in it,just use the appearance of aliens you do like.
Like me I use the Appearance of Aliens from Star Wars,Farscape,Mass effect and so on.
It,s up to you.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

I'll probably go to my local Game Store ("Games Depot," conveniently located very close to my girlfriend's house in Tempe, Arizona) to get it, tomorrow.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
azazel1024
Champion

Their hereeeeee!

Up to page 20 in Madhaven, so probably by sometime this weekend I'll be in to Thundercloud (liking Madhaven so far).

The only comment without having read Thundercloud is, more ships please in some future book. That is not a negative comment on the book. Reading through the TOC without reading any of the book itself, the ships that do appear in the book appear appropriate for what the book seems to be,

Thundercloud Galaxy:or how I learned to stop worrying and love colonization :D

Really this is just a perenial, I'd like to see more ships. Don't frett on that topic too much, I am sure someone could write a good and comprehensive ship construction guide, A la AU:GG and include 200 ships in the book and I'd still want more. That said, I'd really love to see someone come up with at least a good dozen tramp ships, light freighters and runner/smuggler ships. Maybe sprinkled with a few bounty hunter/small merc ships and some basic pirate small/medium ships. Some medium and larger freighters would be nice too, but not as badly needed in my opinion. Those catagories seem to be what is missing the most in the setting. A lot of "national" ships you'd find in any decent navy, but little that an adventuring party would be likely to use.

We need something like Ships of the Three Galaxies to add on to Fleets of the Three Galaxies (with more focus on ships then on background. The background was stinking nice in FotTG, but not nearly as much background is needed in "factions" in something like a SotTG book).

Or heck at some point it would be kind of cool to see maybe some small supplements for just specific manufacturers/factions. Like maybe a 64-96 page book on Naruni wares specific to 3G, or Galactic Armaments stuff, Bushido stuff, TGE stuff, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

However, I will eagerly continue to consume books like Outbreak, FoTG, Thundercloud, etc.

More when I have actually read the book rather then venting my spleen on things unrelated to the book.

KTXBI.
cchopps
Adventurer

Unread post by cchopps »

Mine came yesterday and I'm very happy with it!

The background info at the beginning is great, new Dominator and Gene-Tech info is very nice, elder race, colony, and monster creation tables are well done and fun, and I love Mumah's art for Three Galaxies setting.

Hmmm... What else.... I really enjoyed the Denlech, Exiles and some of the other new races. Great ways to bring some specific archtypes to the game. I haven't read all the "animals" yet, so can't comment, but I do like pics... especially THUNDER DUCK! :D

The main thing I felt it was missing, was some more information on Desslyth. There was shockingly little. I haven't read all of the 101 Adventures in the back, so maybe there are some tidbits tucked away in there, but for such an important element of the Galaxy (and the weird younger/elder thing), I thought there would be more. I guess I was also hoping to see a portrayal of another Splugorth Kingdom to see what one without a Dimensional Market is all about, or maybe some more about Splugorth politics. I love the picture on page 6, though why Splugorth are so obsessed with female humanoids I'll never know. ;-)

I was also hoping for some follow-up to items in Dimension Book 6 or at least including them on the map. Fecklar's Star, Galamon (Splugorth politics!), Hyril & Stargazer companies, Pentarken!!, and the entry and exit points for the Tyr wormhole. Also a little more on the UWW in the Thundercloud. I guess I understand leaving most of this up to the GM.... but the Splugorth info would be nice. :) Oh, and what about the Intruders? I don't think there was any mention of them in Outbreak either. Not that I'm a huge fan, but they were presented as such a big deal at first.

Two questions and maybe I just missed them.

#1. Dimensions/description of the Annach and Hollan Gulfs? What are they exactly? Do ships travel through them at the same increased speed they travel through the space between galaxies?

#2 CCW space is literally on opposite sides of the galaxy. How do ships travel between? Down the Gaelra arm and sneak through Golgan space? Or is it easier to leave the Galaxy and come back down on the other side? Sort of like a galaxy version of sub-orbital flight?

Really great book, guys! :ok:

C. Chopps
taalismn
Priest

cchopps wrote: I love the picture on page 6, though why Splugorth are so obsessed with female humanoids I'll never know. ;-)

Too many 'B'-movies, from all those alternate Earth universes, absorbed directly through the interdimensional ether; the Splugorth are now indoctrinated to think Ugly Monsters/Splugorth+Half-Naked Human(oid) Females of Youth and Exceptional Appearnace = Win!
Further proof that gender-biased media corrupts, and not just children. :twisted:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
mumah

Unread post by mumah »

cchopps wrote:
I love the picture on page 6, though why Splugorth are so obsessed with female humanoids I'll never know. ;-)

That had less to do with the Splugorth and more to do with me having a whole book to draw and very little opportunity to draw my signature hotties. I did toy with they idea of putting a guy in her place on that piece. :twisted:
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

mumah wrote:
cchopps wrote:
I love the picture on page 6, though why Splugorth are so obsessed with female humanoids I'll never know. ;-)

That had less to do with the Splugorth and more to do with me having a whole book to draw and very little opportunity to draw my signature hotties. I did toy with they idea of putting a guy in her place on that piece. :twisted:
You ever do that, and I'm gonna hunt you down and torture you until you draw females as good as Boris Vallejo does.

:x
(j/k)
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
mumah

Unread post by mumah »

As long as I get to use models like he does, I'm cool with it.
Braden Campbell

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

cchopps wrote:Also a little more on the UWW in the Thundercloud.

I am hoping that the section on the UWW Thundercloud Possessions will be included in the United Worlds of Warlock book. For the moment, I can say that most people in the United Worlds have no idea that they even exist because they are the private property of one member of the royal family.

#1. Dimensions/description of the Annach and Hollan Gulfs? What are they exactly? Do ships travel through them at the same increased speed they travel through the space between galaxies?

The Gulfs are simply areas of the galaxy that are almost entirely empty of dust and gas, and thus, never made stars. I would have to check my maps to figure out how wide they are... but their length would be roughly 25,000 - 30,000 light-years. As for how they affect travel, it could go both ways. One might argue that, because they are still inside the galaxy itself, starships would still be prone to gravitic drag, and therefore would travel at their normal speed. On the other hand, if a gaming group wants to zip around quickly from place to place, then one could also argue that the lack of gravitational masses (ie. stars) in the Gulfs allows for the x5 speed multiplier. I never considered it to be honest.... but I would personally allow the x5 bonus. That makes the Gulfs like fast-flowing galactic rivers, and would explain why they are, by treaty, neutral and unclaimable. Basically though, just pick the answer you want, and use it. :ok:

#2 CCW space is literally on opposite sides of the galaxy. How do ships travel between? Down the Gaelra arm and sneak through Golgan space? Or is it easier to leave the Galaxy and come back down on the other side? Sort of like a galaxy version of sub-orbital flight?

I personally envision the latter - that it's easier to fly up and out of the galatic halo, move quickly to a new point, and then dive back in. However, if you use the "galactic arms are like fast-slowing rivers", then it makes more sense to ultilize them rather take a longer way up and around.

Really great book, guys!

Thanks! Great questions.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

taalismn wrote:The Gene-Tech and the Gene-Splicers are two separate peoples, though both are tall, thin, emotionally-detached intellectual species who like experimenting on other peoples. Not much, if anything, has been said whether the two species are related. Anvil Galaxy states that there's no evidence, beyond the circumstancial, to suggest they ARE related in any way. Gene Splicers seem more introverted and obsessed with their persona studies, while the Gene-Tech are a tad more social and will modify other people and recruit them into their growing army of monstrosities, and may even take requests for genetic modification work.

They are the same Race. Or are they ?
Its up to each GM. I say Same.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

TechnoGothic wrote:

They are the same Race. Or are they ?
Its up to each GM. I say Same.

Except that they're presented as two separate races with separate stats, somewhat different appearances, and one is far more interactive with other races than the other. If they were the same race they'd be presented as such without such obvious differences.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Not really Nightmask.

The could be the same race easy.

The ones in RIFTS could be their PAST or FUTURE selves displaced in Time by traveling through the Rifts.
While the ones in Phase World as the ones that don't travel the Rifts/Gates of PW for the most part. Consider them the PRESENT selves in their evolution.

Which would leave it up to GMs to which is which though and which they prefer to use at a given time.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Blank for now.
Could not delete message in time. :-(
Last edited by abtex on Wed May 04, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

mumah wrote:
cchopps wrote:

Their ears are even different, both are personal.
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Still no sign of it here in T.O.; but that's cuz only ONE STORE in the whole damned city carries Palladium Books products anymore.
The Silver Snail ditched the entirety of the PBooks roster a year ago (they tried to carry the Robotech books...failed and made no proffit), and 401 games & collectables hasn't had a new Pbooks book in over 2 years.

I guess they got sick & tired of having to fend people off every time the release schedual got ganked....again... for the 5th. time. :badbad: :frust: :nh:

Regardless; I am looking forwards to seeing this book. Heck, I may even buy it. :D

Leaves of the lotus rise

Braden Campbell

My comp copies arrived this morning, and I simply had to stop cutting the lawn to sit down and flip through them. Again, full kudos to everyone who helped beef up the Colony Creation Rules, and who thought to add in the 101 Ruin Adventures when I did not.
Braden, GMPhD

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Okay Braden; we have our diferences. I acknowledge that.
HOWever, that does not preclude the fact you did an excellent job on this book.
Seriously; I'm only onto I think page 12(?) so far, and already ya got me hooked. I love the British / Germanic / Spannish / Russian imperialism angle.

LOL
Almost makes me want to create a Space-scout named Ahlyn Kwarturmayne :D

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

Already finding the various creation charts useful in fleshing out a number of projects of mine. :D :bandit:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Braden Campbell

Glad to hear it!
Braden, GMPhD

azazel1024
Champion

So when is your next Three Galaxies epic coming? And don't tell me next year! :D

Just do us all a favor, come up with some smuggler/tramp freighter ships (both "struggling to make ends meat" and playboy playing smuggler ships) in the next one. I think most of us can agree we love your work (and Carl's!)...but I think most of us can also agree we'd love to see some more player group focused ships as well soon.

Done kvetching now. I should be done with Madhaven tonight and starting in on Thundercloud!
Braden Campbell

"Life in the Spacelane" will be my next work, and yes, I'm under orders to get it done ASAP (instead fo next year). It will focus on Runners, Spacers, and Smugglers - and is a project I've wanted to do for a long while now.

Whereas "Fleets" had an emphasis on large capital ships and massive space battles, this book will look at the other end of the spectrum. At the Conference we called them "PC-sized vessels". And yes, two or three of us are working on a method for Players to build and modify these smaller types of spaceships.

After that, it's "United Worlds of Warlock" (which will, I hope, give you guys some info on the Thundercloud Possessions that are mentioned in "Thundercloud" but which unfortunately had to left out).
Braden, GMPhD

ghost2020
Adventurer

Unread post by ghost2020 »

My copy has been ordered and should be on the way, but the aliens modeled after terran animals? Really? Didn't we have a book full of that (Aliens Unlimited)?
Ducks? Hedgehogs? I'm concerned.
taalismn
Priest

ghost2020 wrote:My copy has been ordered and should be on the way, but the aliens modeled after terran animals? Really? Didn't we have a book full of that (Aliens Unlimited)?

Lions, Hyenas, Zebras, Crocodiles, Gazelles, Tste Flies, Scorpions, Gorillas, and Pygmies too... :clown:
It's like the 'Lion King' with laser rifles. :P

But all in all, those elements get overshadowed by the self-build charts and setting. :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
mumah

Unread post by mumah »

ghost2020 wrote:My copy has been ordered and should be on the way, but the aliens modeled after terran animals? Really? Didn't we have a book full of that (Aliens Unlimited)?

Worry not, true believer. It's all good. Especially the Duck. Fear the Thunder Duck.
ghost2020
Adventurer

Unread post by ghost2020 »

taalismn wrote:

Lions, Hyenas, Zebras, Crocodiles, Gazelles, Tste Flies, Scorpions, Gorillas, and Pygmies too... :clown:
It's like the 'Lion King' with laser rifles.

Yikes! That's not very reassuring.
Braden Campbell

Just read it through.

Yes, there are giant, talking lions and hedgehog people... but the lions are all wizards, and the hedgehogs have six legs. Also, there are people-eating blobs from outer space, a species whose anatomy is based on the number three, a bunch of photonic/robot probes that nobady knows what to do with, a playable race of were-creatures, and an entire species of mercenaries.

People might laugh at the Thunder Duck... but in the hands of a good GM, they won't be laughing long. A large flock of them can slag a glitterboy in under a minute.
Braden, GMPhD

mumah

Unread post by mumah »

Braden Campbell wrote:
People might laugh at the Thunder Duck... but in the hands of a good GM, they won't be laughing long. A large flock of them can slag a glitterboy in under a minute.

Just one will be enough to give a party fits, surely.
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Just got my copy yesterday. Looks pretty good so far.

One issue I have is the statistics on page 13, second bullet. So only one in 200 stars have planets at all? Very very low number. I understand the whole "galactic boisphere" thing. I'm not complaining, just seems low.

The other one I had was that the Bushi Federation has 3 billion Oni in the Thundercloud, yet there home planet (also in the Thundercloud) has a population of 10 billion? Typo? or am I just missing something.

All and all looks like a great book. Art, dimensional info, new races... great info. 3G has come a long way since the days of CJ Carella...
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Hystrix wrote:Just got my copy yesterday. Looks pretty good so far.

One issue I have is the statistics on page 13, second bullet. So only one in 200 stars have planets at all? Very very low number. I understand the whole "galactic boisphere" thing. I'm not complaining, just seems low.

The other one I had was that the Bushi Federation has 3 billion Oni in the Thundercloud, yet there home planet (also in the Thundercloud) has a population of 10 billion? Typo? or am I just missing something.

All and all looks like a great book. Art, dimensional info, new races... great info. 3G has come a long way since the days of CJ Carella...

Just pencil / pen in a zero after the 3 on the tri-galatic numbers *shrug* not the first time a mega-typo has occoured. :D
Hopefully the 2nd printing will address that screw up (Read the Rifts main book, where the Psi-stalkers are only the size of ken / Barbie dolls). :lol:

Leaves of the lotus rise

mumah

Unread post by mumah »

It could also mean that there are 3 billion Oni living abroad in the Thundercloud, while 30 Billion reside on the planet itself. However, I am speculating. I'm sure Braden Campbell will be along soon to give a more accurate estimate.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”