Board index » MDC Worlds » Rifts®: Dimension Books

Post subject: Boom Gun in Space
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:32 pm

Knight

I just thought of a question and I was wondering, would the round from Boom Gun still deliver the same amount of damage to targets (or, more precisely, anything that they hit) beyond its range?

And Horrors Unknown

Post subject: Re: Boom Gun in Space
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:38 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

dragonfett wrote:
I just thought of a question and I was wondering, would the round from Boom Gun still deliver the same amount of damage to targets (or, more precisely, anything that they hit) beyond its range?

Doesnt Mutants in Orbit have space boom guns? Would that not answer this?
(I dont have the book in my office).

Huntmaster

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Dungeon Crawler

13eowulf wrote:
dragonfett wrote:

Doesnt Mutants in Orbit have space boom guns? Would that not answer this?
(I dont have the book in my office).

I think he's wondering if the round (or whatever) would simply maintain its velocity in a vacuum forever. The real life answer I think is "yes, it would." Thus if it hit something far beyond its listed range, and no other force acted upon it after being fired, it would do the same damage.

I think "effective range" would probably be about the same (for game purposes at least) because targets move, etc. and the greater the distance, the smaller the chance of the target still being where it was when the gun was fired.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:23 pm

Knight

dragonfett wrote:

Officially by the Rules, no.

While others are correct about the velocity, the boom gun does not fire a single projectile but rather 200 (plus the casing) that does the listed damage. Those sub-projectiles will disperse over time resulting in reduced damage. The result is that if you fire at something beyond effective range, the longer between firing and impact the less damage it will do (though if the target is big enough...).

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:05 pm

Knight

Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!
In space, no-one can hear you BOOM.

(Yes, I said it. We all were thinking it. Never tempt a skutch. Here Endeth the Lesson.)

Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D

Last edited by BookWyrm on Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:19 pm

Knight

ShadowLogan wrote:
dragonfett wrote:

While others are correct about the velocity, the boom gun does not fire a single projectile but rather 200 (plus the casing) that does the listed damage. Those sub-projectiles will disperse over time resulting in reduced damage. The result is that if you fire at something beyond effective range, the longer between firing and impact the less damage it will do (though if the target is big enough...).

Ok, here's a different question for you. Just how far would it have to travel before it's dispersed too far out to be effective?

And Horrors Unknown

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:44 am

Rifts® Trivia Master

honestly given its range, most of us have been assuming it is a selective fused munition rather than a literal shotgun.. that the 200 rods are contained in a shell that gets fuzed right before firing (using range data from that laser targeter above the barrel) so that the shell bursts a few instants before it hits the target, so that the target gets the maximum impact from the hit.

similar to the airburst ammunition in the XM25 CDTE.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjqu4hBFWFA

* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:08 am

Palladin

Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.
Since Boomguns run off of SCIENCE! and not science the answer is RAW they can be fired at normal range at normal rolls, at 30% farther than normal range at a strike penalty, and no farther... because reasons. If this answer doesn't satisfy you, then you of course can change it to suit you how ever you wish to make things work out 'right' for your particular game.

The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:04 am

Knight

dragonfett wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:
dragonfett wrote:

Ok, here's a different question for you. Just how far would it have to travel before it's dispersed too far out to be effective?

off hand I don't know. Several minutes at minimum I would suspect.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:25 pm

Palladin

Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...
dragonfett wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:
dragonfett wrote:

Depends.... Granted, in vacuum, the rods will disperse. BUT, they keep going so there they travel, and some poor bastard runs in to them sometime... eek!

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:59 pm

Rifts® Trivia Master

without air to create turbulence though, they'll disperse slower.

* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website