Hack an enemy ship?

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Blue_Lion
Knight

Re: Hack an enemy ship?

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

The idea behind what happened in the star treck movie was they used a system that was put in place incase a ship was caputered by pirates. They had the access codes to authenticate a order to the computer, the codes where in place to prevent unauthorized access or use of such an attack. (not how they explained it but is why such as system would be in place.)

Secure is a relative term it is always possible that an intelligence agency(or criminals) with the right programs and training can find a way to fake or compromise any authentication. But such things typically take time or set up, so is not something you can likely do on the fly.(That is also why inscription keys get updated on a regular basis.) An early Rifter went into details on hacking in the palladium system.

So yes it would be possible to hack a ship but depending on the control systems and how you access might change what you can do. But it is likely that a hacker can comprises a ship ability to fight as part of a preplanned attack. Or even send them fake orders to do something other than there true mission.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Re: Hack an enemy ship?

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

keir451 wrote:
flatline wrote:
keir451 wrote:So could a Psi-tech or a CS Digital Reaper use their psionics to "ride" the comm bands to another ship and hack it from within? Or would they have to be in actual physical contact?

What psi powers do you have in mind for "riding" radio waves?

--flatline

Possibly Telemechanics or Machine Ghost, not quite mentally functional enough to research. :sleep:

He is referring to the article on hacking in a early rifter. They had new powers to do that.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”