Docking and landing fees???

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Docking and landing fees???

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

At a space port or space station what would be the fees charged by them to provide an income to run the station/port?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Re: Docking and landing fees???

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:At a space port or space station what would be the fees charged by them to provide an income to run the station/port?

I am unsure what you are asking. Are you asking what kind of fees would they be charging or how much of a fee would they be charging?

Types of fees could be as simple as maintenance charges such as air, water, fuel, other consumables, and waste services. A portage fee just for tying up to the dock. A transfer fee or import duty on goods and cargo. A passenger fee for taking on or dropping off passengers. These are just some of the fees cargo vessels pay in the real world, along with things like harbor Pilot fees.

As to how much to charge that is strictly up to the GM. He is the one who is going to have to balance operating cost vs reward/income as part of his adventures/stories. Does he want his players to be barely making ends meet, or doing moderately well, to becoming filthy rich.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:At a space port or space station what would be the fees charged by them to provide an income to run the station/port?

Yikes. There's a lot of unknowns in this question. You can't calculate how expensive something has to be in order to figure income/profit until you know what the expenses cost. Things like maintenance, employees, electricity, air recycling... it all adds up and none of it (as far as I know) have specific costs listed. So this is firmly in the "GM's call" territory.

Fees would also vary based on
  • Size of the vessel
  • Duration of stay (i.e., discounts for long stays)
  • Government taxes/surchages
  • Popularity of the station/port
  • Quality of the area around the station/port
  • Special events which may or may not be going on
  • Security of the station/port
  • Other "free" services offered by the station/port

And that's off the top of my head. Without having to nitpick whether or not such fees are profitable for the station/port in question, I might suggest the following as a rough guide per ton (or fraction thereof - round up) per day:
  • 1D4 credits at a crappy port
  • 2D4 credits at a decent port
  • 2D6 or 3D6 credits at an upscale port

If these prices seem high then just say they include certain services, such as minor repairs, cleaning, pest extermination, security, refueling, restocking... any or all of those, plus others if appropriate. If these prices seem low then just say they include nothing extra and then make the PC's pay for anything else they want.

"Hey, youse only paid for a place to dock your ship. Ain't nuthin' was said about wantin' no 'atmosphere' or 'breathable air.' Youse gotta pay extra for the fancy stuff like that."
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Glistam wrote:

Yikes. There's a lot of unknowns in this question. You can't calculate how expensive something has to be in order to figure income/profit until you know what the expenses cost. Things like maintenance, employees, electricity, air recycling... it all adds up and none of it (as far as I know) have specific costs listed. So this is firmly in the "GM's call" territory.

Fees would also vary based on
  • Size of the vessel
  • Duration of stay (i.e., discounts for long stays)
  • Government taxes/surchages
  • Popularity of the station/port
  • Quality of the area around the station/port
  • Special events which may or may not be going on
  • Security of the station/port
  • Other "free" services offered by the station/port

And that's off the top of my head. Without having to nitpick whether or not such fees are profitable for the station/port in question, I might suggest the following as a rough guide per ton (or fraction thereof - round up) per day:
  • 1D4 credits at a crappy port
  • 2D4 credits at a decent port
  • 2D6 or 3D6 credits at an upscale port

If these prices seem high then just say they include certain services, such as minor repairs, cleaning, pest extermination, security, refueling, restocking... any or all of those, plus others if appropriate. If these prices seem low then just say they include nothing extra and then make the PC's pay for anything else they want.

"Hey, youse only paid for a place to dock your ship. Ain't nuthin' was said about wantin' no 'atmosphere' or 'breathable air.' Youse gotta pay extra for the fancy stuff like that."

[*]Duration of stay (i.e., discounts for long stays)

That depends allot on the kind of vessel we are talking about. A pleasure craft maybe but for a commercial vessel they are charged more the longer they stay. The port owners want to clear commercial docks faster and have a higher turnover because that means more cargo is moving through and the more fees/duties they can make. A long term pleasure craft the most likely they would put into a parking orbit and run a shuttle.
Veni Vidi Vici
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Thank You Both.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
SpiritInterface
Hero

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Thank You Both.

My pleasure, I hope my answer was useful. :)
Veni Vidi Vici
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Dimensional Outbreak has the various fees, I believe, as it pertains to docking etc at Phaseworld. That could make a good basis for what you need drew. Just adjust up and down accordingly for the specific space/starport.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”