Armor and weapon properties of Cosmic and Demonic Knights

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Armor and weapon properties of Cosmic and Demonic Knights

Unread post by Tor »

Dimensional Outbreak raises some questions about how we might have assume Cosmo-Knight armor operates, and left some gaps about how Demon-Knight armor operates...

Page 112 mentions that some DemonKs retain the broken chains attached to their armor and use them as weapons. This is an interesting bit. I would love to see a picture of a Demon Knight doing this, since the one in the example image on pg 111 does not have any chains visible.

Like for example, how long are the chains, what is their reach? Would WP chain apply? How come WP chain can't use the entangle technique? How much damage would they do?

Lacking stats, all I can think are to check Nightbane for a similar thing: the Necrophim on page 75 of World Book 1 (Nightlands) and the Necrosis on page 34 of World Book 4 (Shadows of Light). In both cases, the chains do 2d6 in addition to PS, which seems reasonable enough for the Demon Knight. It does less than their Demonic Weapon, so it wouldn't be a primary weapon, but could be used as a backup weapon in case they lost it (which is kinda likely compared to their foes, they can't hide it via un-summoning like a cosmo-knight can, and it doesn't return when thrown).

Since Necrophim explicitly CAN entangle with their arm-chains, I'd say that Demon Knights can too. Really I'd just ignore the 'can't entangle' rule for chain weapons, never made any sense to me. I'm sure I've seen Michelangelo do it before. I just think that if you want to entangle you'd need to use 2 hands, so it should only not work if you're doing it 1-handed like with paired chains.

While on the topic of DemonK holes... I still have no idea how much blood their Demonic Weapon needs to drink, and how long they have to drink it, when it gets its damage increase... and it's also odd that their Demonic Weapon gets a bonus to hit when thrown when it doesn't return while thrown... in the example image that thing didn't look very aerodynamic and I don't know why the Demon Lords would want to encourage throwing a non-returning weapon.

Nor do I have any idea how much blood a Demon Knight has to drink... no penalties are given if they can't find any. Should we say no penalties and just have them go insane like vampires do? Anyone know any other blood-drinking races in the Megaverse to base these requirements on?

On to the Cosmo-Knights... page 114 of Dimensional Outbreak says that Demon Knights can keep the weapon of a defeated/slain Cosmo-Knight. This tells us that Cosmic Weapons survive the death of Cosmo-Knights. Presumably they would also survive the death of Fallen Knights too. I guess the Elias Harkonnen theft in the Rifter can be celebrated as canon-worthy then :)

One thing I'm wondering about though... when Demonic Knights lose their former powers... does that mean Fallen Knights lose their Cosmic Weapons? Could that be part of why Demon Knights want to acquire new cosmic weapons?

If a Demon Knight were to utilize the stolen Cosmic Weapon of a slain Cosmo-Knight... would it still return when thrown? Would it still inflict higher damage? Could they remember how to activate forcefields if they'd done it before? Could it be used to enhance the range/damage of an anti-matter blast?

The biggest bomb of this thread though... Demon Knights ALSO keep Cosmo-Knight HELMETS as trophies...

It's not clear in the statement whether this means defeated knights, slain knights, or both. Firstly though, it tells us that Cosmo-Knight armor is not indivisible. It can be broken into sections! A knight could keep his armor on and just remove the helmet, for example. This is pretty cool, but I'd like some rules for it, like what AR they would have when not in full armor. Should we use stuff like the Bio-Armor major super ability as a guideline for how much AR to assign to various coverages?

If this statement means in death... then Cosmo-Knight armor can survive the death of a cosmo-knight? How does that even work? If a Cosmo-Knight is killed, they presumably can't summon the armor, but how would they die when their armor was up? Summon the armor and then take it off? Does that mean a Cosmo-Knight could theoretically summon the armor, take it off, and dress up an ally in the armor to help protect them? Would the armor still heal when not worn by the knight, in that case?

I thought perhaps if you killed a Cosmo-Knight using phase weapons, but I'm not sure if Phase Weapons would bypass cosmic armor like they do most armor, since it is described as a 'living' part of the cosmo-knight, I got the impression phase weapons might have to deplete the armor first...

One possibility I guess would be to poison a cosmo-knight, so that even if they armor-up, they could eventually die from damage-per-melee-round that continued to hurt them even after they armor'd up. Tiamat's toxic breath is one example of that...

Also wondering... if a Demonic Knight were infected and eventually turned into a Death Demon... what would happen to their Demonic Weapon and Grafted Armor? Would it be lost like other demonic powers (like presumably Flight and Anti-Matter blast) or would they still be usable as a Death Demon?

Cosmo-Knights are immune to disease, even Fallen Knights get a huge bonus to save versus disease... I can't see any bonus vs. disease for Demon Knights (just a decent PE) so they could be vulnerable to this...

Do you figure if a Fallen Knight becomes a Demonic Knight they lose this disease resistance bonus? Am I overlooking some statement of disease immunity present on Demon Knights?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Armor and weapon properties of Cosmic and Demonic Knight

Unread post by eliakon »

Armor doesn't disappear when its MDC is depleted, it just...doesn't provide protection. So kill the Knight, and pry the helmet off his cooling corpse, and add it to your collection.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Re: Armor and weapon properties of Cosmic and Demonic Knight

Unread post by Tor »

I always overlook that part...

I like how if Demon Knight armor is utterly destroyed there is a delay before it is recreated. I'd like to see that for Cosmo-Knights too. I mean, maybe their armor begins to come back in a matter of hours instead of days, since it's better and all that, but the way it is now with their per-minute regen, a Cosmo-Knight per GI Joe rule can take a full blast of ANYTHING and come out unscathed every single minute, and their mach flight can usually get them out of dodge to evade for a minute.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”