Board index » Traversing the Megaverse® » Megaverse phpBB Bugs/Wish List

Post subject: Occasional Login Issue
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:31 pm

Demon Lord Extraordinaire

Comment: Where's the money?
When I get emails that say there's a new post in a thread I'm watching, I occasionally have to log back in to view the thread for some reason. It happens with every thread, but at random intervals. However, I can be opening multiple links, and only one thread needs to be logged into. The rest already know I'm logged in. Also, on the one I have to log into, I can just click to go to a different page, and I'm logged in, but if I try to follow the link in the email to see the new post(s) again it still says I have to log in.

Anyone have a clue as to why this is happening, and what can be done to correct it?

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:33 pm

Champion

The Beast wrote:
When I get emails that say there's a new post in a thread I'm watching, I occasionally have to log back in to view the thread for some reason. It happens with every thread, but at random intervals. However, I can be opening multiple links, and only one thread needs to be logged into. The rest already know I'm logged in. Also, on the one I have to log into, I can just click to go to a different page, and I'm logged in, but if I try to follow the link in the email to see the new post(s) again it still says I have to log in.

Anyone have a clue as to why this is happening, and what can be done to correct it?

Greetings and Salutations. I can say I run into this same problem, but only when I use my Android phone (don't recall it ever happening on my desktop). I mainly bring this up to see if your usage is similar to possibly narrow the cause. For note: I currently use Chrome on my phone and my desktop.

I've never found a solution (nor have I really looked), and have always just worked around it. Farewell and safe journeys.

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:01 pm

Dungeon Crawler

I've had this issue as well, & have found that the Link in Emails on the ones I have to login on, has a different Web Address.

Example:
Link you have to relog into Forums on:
http://www.palladiumbooks.com/forums/vi ... 4#p2889949

Link you do not have to relog into the Forums:
viewtopic.php?p=2889949#p2889949

You'll notice that both links go to the same post, but with 2 different addresses.

"No, actually, as there's that really big special rule that overrides any other rules. You know, the one where if something looks stupid or limiting or otherwise hinders game play or fun the GM is free to change or discard the rule." - Nightmask

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:29 pm

Monk

There are times when I 1st come to the boards it shows me normal logged in screen (I don't use the default) then when I go to the 1st forum to start looking at the posts it shows me not logged in.

This happens once or twice every two months. I just log-in when this occurs.

Mostly I write out exactly what I mean, then sometimes get even more finicky.

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:24 pm

OLD ONE

Comment: PROUDLY Not a member of the "Cabal of 24"
Brayon wrote:
I've had this issue as well, & have found that the Link in Emails on the ones I have to login on, has a different Web Address.

Example:

You'll notice that both links go to the same post, but with 2 different addresses.

The first link is wrong. It is the shadow site.

The correct link is the 2nd one.

"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
Palladium Books 2015 Robotech RPG Tactics Tournament Rules

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:25 pm

NMI wrote:
Brayon wrote:

Example:

If that's what's happening though, why are the emails linking to the shadow site in the first place? Also, why is it one link is to the normal site, but the next link could go to the shadow one?

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:11 am

OLD ONE

The Beast wrote:
NMI wrote:
Brayon wrote:

Example:

If that's what's happening though, why are the emails linking to the shadow site in the first place? Also, why is it one link is to the normal site, but the next link could go to the shadow one?

Probably because you keep going to it. Subscribing to threads there? PM'ing there? Watching topics there?

Log in at the Shadow site and go to this link: http://palladiumbooks.com/forums/ucp.ph ... subscribed and unsubscribe from any subscriptions you have.
Same for bookmarks: http://palladiumbooks.com/forums/ucp.ph ... =bookmarks

"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:58 am

NMI wrote:
Log in at the Shadow site and go to this link: http://palladiumbooks.com/forums/ucp.ph ... subscribed and unsubscribe from any subscriptions you have.

Tried that with a couple threads. I noticed that if I unsubscribe at one, it does the same at the normal site, and if I subscribe again at the normal site, it does the same at the shadow. So I'm not entirely sure this will fix it in the long run.

Can I permanently log into the shadow site, or is it set up to log you off once you leave the site?

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:21 am

Knight

Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt
it's a cookie issue. So the shadow site uses the same cookies that you use for the primary. If you switch, it's going to log you out of one or the other.

I'm not sure how the 'Shadow' site is set up. But you might be able to do it by altering the cookie settings in the PHPBB Admin console.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:08 am

OLD ONE

The Beast wrote:
NMI wrote:

Tried that with a couple threads. I noticed that if I unsubscribe at one, it does the same at the normal site, and if I subscribe again at the normal site, it does the same at the shadow. So I'm not entirely sure this will fix it in the long run.

Can I permanently log into the shadow site, or is it set up to log you off once you leave the site?
Honestly,, there is no point for you to sign-on to the Shadow site. I need to see if I can disable it without disabling the main forums here.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:43 am

NMI wrote:
The Beast wrote:
NMI wrote:

Honestly,, there is no point for you to sign-on to the Shadow site. I need to see if I can disable it without disabling the main forums here.

Hey NMI, were either you or Tom(?) able to look into this at all?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:44 am

Supreme Being

Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.
Part of the issue seems to be if the person posts at the shadow site instead of the full site, the email advising of a reply to the post links to the shadow site version of the post which results in the bad link.

So we need to stop people from using the shadow site (intentionally or unintentionally).

Dead Boy wrote:
All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:50 pm

Jefffar wrote:
Part of the issue seems to be if the person posts at the shadow site instead of the full site, the email advising of a reply to the post links to the shadow site version of the post which results in the bad link.

So we need to stop people from using the shadow site (intentionally or unintentionally).

So...., block everyone from the shadow site? Turn it off? I know I never set out to go there. For the past few months I've been actively closing links whenever I get one that says I have to log in, but I still keep getting them randomly. Even you very post said I had to log in, and it was the first time in this thread.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:12 pm

Supreme Being

Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.
Because silly me was on the shadow site at the time I posted trying to resolve a separate issue.

Dead Boy wrote:
All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:16 pm

Champion

The Beast wrote:
Jefffar wrote:

So...., block everyone from the shadow site? Turn it off? I know I never set out to go there. For the past few months I've been actively closing links whenever I get one that says I have to log in, but I still keep getting them randomly. Even you very post said I had to log in, and it was the first time in this thread.

Greetings and Salutations. I thought like you did at first, and have been avoiding the other links. However, I still get emails with links to the shadow site, but the next email I get might be from the main site (for the same thread), like it's switching.

I think what he means is that, for example, if I post on the shadow site, the shadow site will be the one to send out the email notifications. So even though you avoided it, I did not and therefore you still get sent the link. That sucks, because it means we as individuals can't solve the problem for ourselves. Farewell and safe journeys.

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:01 pm

OLD ONE

As both sites share the same database [including cookie info], making a change to the shadow site or this main one affects the other.
I have tried disabling the other site, turning off the other site, etc... all of those changes affected the main site.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:52 am

I think I found part of the problem. Coming here in my shortcuts bar takes me to the right site, but if I google you and take the forum link from there, I get sent to the shadow site.

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:06 pm

So this is still an ongoing issue for me, and it has become worse in the past couple weeks. Right now it seems like I have about a 50/50 chance of being redirected to the shadow site per email, all because the other users here either aren't being blocked from signing into it, or aren't policing themselves to not log into there. Would it be possible to unplug the shadow server for about two weeks to force everyone back to the normal site?

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:24 pm

Knight

Actually the Shadow Site, is the only way I can log in from work. That's because the main site is considered to be a known malicious website. It sucks, but it's what it is.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:36 pm

Knight

NMI wrote:
As both sites share the same database [including cookie info], making a change to the shadow site or this main one affects the other.
I have tried disabling the other site, turning off the other site, etc... all of those changes affected the main site.

In order to fix this, you will need to create a .htaccess file that redirects the shadow site to the main site. Then you delete the board software from the shadow site (assuming that it's two distinct folders on the server). If it is more of a 1 folder structure and two domain names pointing to the same physical server/forum software you are going to want to change the DNS and point it somewhere else. Then do the above with a .htaccess file.