Burn Notice

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mantisking
Hero

Burn Notice

Unread post by Mantisking »

This one is for the spies in the house. :) For those who haven't been watching, go here.

I've watched every episode so far and I've enjoyed it. What does everyone else think?
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

All four episodes are sitting on my Tivo -- stupid Law and Order comes on too much, haven't had time to get to it. I see it normally when I'm at the gym though, and just can't hear it -- looks really fun so far though.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Mantisking
Hero

Petite Elfgirl wrote:Never even heard of it. What do plot lines/devices consist of? He was once a "spy", got fired, and he helps people . . . how? Gadgets, disguises, both . . .?

He generally acts as a PI and helps people by fixing problems for them. Kind of like the "A-Team" but people actually get hurt.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Petite Elfgirl wrote:
Mantisking wrote:
Petite Elfgirl wrote:Never even heard of it. What do plot lines/devices consist of? He was once a "spy", got fired, and he helps people . . . how? Gadgets, disguises, both . . .?

He generally acts as a PI and helps people by fixing problems for them. Kind of like the "A-Team" but people actually get hurt.

Sounds like a guy flick. Explosions, scantily-clad women . . . I might try it. :-?

Well, it's on USA thursday night's at 10 PM -- if you watched crossing jordan at all the main character was the jerk investigator from the final season, and his buddy in the show is Bruce Campbell.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Marrowlight
Knight

caught up and watching the last episode right now -- man this show is hysterical.

Marrowlight
Knight

Petite Elfgirl wrote:
Zylo wrote:You might like his ex-girlfriend, Fiona, the ex-IRA operative. It cracks me up that half the violence and the majority of the explosions so far are her doing. Girls have every right to blow stuff up too! :ok:
:lol: Well, in that case . . . 8-) Is she the smart one of the group, too? :)

Marrowlight wrote:caught up and watching the last episode right now -- man this show is hysterical.
Hysterical as in "pathetic," or hysterical as in funny?

hysterical as in funny.

Randomfist
Explorer

Unread post by Randomfist »

Bruce Campbell.

Nuff' said. But I'll still say more.

Great show. Every episode has two plots, one consisting of him trying to find out who "Burn Noticed" him and the other helping the random little guy. Pretty funny too. Like hooking up a gadget to kill the motor on a car but doing it wrong and BOOM!!!!
Marrowlight
Knight

Randomfist wrote:Bruce Campbell.

Great show. Every episode has two plots, one consisting of him trying to find out who "Burn Noticed" him and the other helping the random little guy. Pretty funny too. Like hooking up a gadget to kill the motor on a car but doing it wrong and BOOM!!!!

to be fair, that was his crazy IRA ex girlfriend, not him.

Randomfist
Explorer

Marrowlight wrote:

Oh I know. But it was Bruce who actually pressed the button though. The look on his face was PRICELESS. The look on the bad guys face was pretty funny too.
Randomfist
Explorer

Marrowlight wrote:

And it's his crazy, HOT, IRA ex girlfriend.
Marrowlight
Knight

Randomfist wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:

well, it is on USA -- that goes without saying.

Marrowlight
Knight

Alejandro wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:
Randomfist wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:

well, it is on USA -- that goes without saying.

This IS the station that brought us VIP after all.

Really? thought that was a syndicated show.

BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

I've watched a few episodes. Gabrielle Anwar as an 'ex-' IRA assassin & ex-GF is very cool, and having Bruce Campbell (Ash from the Evil Dead movies) is ok, but he got fat.

From what I can gather, someone (the mysterious one(s) who put the burn-notice on him) is trying to make him into a Winston Wolf.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Marrowlight
Knight

Alejandro wrote:Syndicated, yes...but I never saw it on a single American station besides USA.

Used to play on the CBS affiliate around here on weekends. Back in my pre-tivo insomnia days there were many a 3 AM's I'd catch it while channel surfing.

Marrowlight
Knight

Alejandro wrote:CBS? The Old Folks Network had VIP? Scary times indeed.

weekend 3 am programming isn't CBS so much as the affiliate's call, y'know?

BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

captramses wrote:
BookWyrm wrote:I've watched a few episodes. Gabrielle Anwar as an 'ex-' IRA assassin & ex-GF is very cool, and having Bruce Campbell (Ash from the Evil Dead movies) is ok, but he got fat.

From what I can gather, someone (the mysterious one(s) who put the burn-notice on him) is trying to make him into a Winston Wolf.

Winston Wolf??

Harvey Keitel's character from Pulp Fiction.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I may have to check it out now. I've seen some of the commercials and they look interesting.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
danzig138
D-Bee

Unread post by danzig138 »

So far, I've been pretty pleased with it, and I'm glad that Donovan got something else good after Touching Evil. I'm pretty sure (but can't swear to it) that I read recently that Burn Notice has already been picked up for a second season.
danzig138
"Maybe allowing the new guy to hang with the party without getting beaten, raped, or summarily sent to the gates of hell in the first few days requires a little extra restraint on the parts of some of the players."
-----Testor the Librarian
Aran
D-Bee

Unread post by Aran »

danzig138 wrote:So far, I've been pretty pleased with it, and I'm glad that Donovan got something else good after Touching Evil. I'm pretty sure (but can't swear to it) that I read recently that Burn Notice has already been picked up for a second season.

I've only been able to catch the episodes hit and miss, but I really like it. I'm hoping that they'll do a marathon of episodes like they do with Monk so I can catch up on them.

And you're right, it was picked up for a second season:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117969906.html?categoryid=14&cs=1
Marrowlight
Knight

Gravitus Everlast wrote:It would be kinda hard to do a marathon at this point cause there's only been three or four episodes, but if they do go into a second season, then yeah I can totaly see it.

the 8th episode should've come on tonight (and the pilot was a 2 hour iirc).

danzig138
D-Bee

Unread post by danzig138 »

Aran wrote:And you're right, it was picked up for a second season:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117969906.html?categoryid=14&cs=1
I'm glad. It's not the same network, but it makes me feel a bit better about Dresden not coming back, since I'd hate to get into two new shows and have them both get canned.
danzig138
"Maybe allowing the new guy to hang with the party without getting beaten, raped, or summarily sent to the gates of hell in the first few days requires a little extra restraint on the parts of some of the players."
-----Testor the Librarian
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Just saw this show for the first time... was checking here to see if anyone had mentioned it. It reminds me somewhat of the comic Rip and Teri, if it were turned into a series.

http://www.graphicsmash.com/comics/rip. ... hapter=995
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Marrowlight
Knight

Mark Hall wrote:Just saw this show for the first time... was checking here to see if anyone had mentioned it. It reminds me somewhat of the comic Rip and Teri, if it were turned into a series.

http://www.graphicsmash.com/comics/rip. ... hapter=995

did you manage to catch the entire marathon?

Library Ogre

Saw one episode, then it went to House.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Library Ogre

I want to play Ninjas and Superspies.

I believe I am in love with Fiona.

All Palladium Articles
Library Ogre

It's on tonight.

All Palladium Articles
Library Ogre

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!

Burn Notice doesn't return until JUNE!!!!

All Palladium Articles
Mantisking
Hero

As far as I know, I caught every episode. Great show, and I can't wait 'til next June.
Aramanthus
Monk

I wonder if they'll do a marathon for those of us unlucky enough to have missed all of the early episodes? I'd love to see it from the beginning.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Mantisking
Hero

Aramanthus wrote:I wonder if they'll do a marathon for those of us unlucky enough to have missed all of the early episodes? I'd love to see it from the beginning.

They ran one the week before the finale.
Aramanthus
Monk

Thank you for the information Mantisking! :( Now I suppose I'll have to wait to see it all when the DVDs come out.

HH....FIE
Library Ogre

Full episodes are now up on USA Network at burnnotice.usanetwork.com

All Palladium Articles
Library Ogre

"Hey, kids. See that cop? I'll give you $5 each if you tell him that the guy in that car tried to make you sit on his lap."

What a way to break surveillance.

All Palladium Articles
Marrowlight
Knight

Mark Hall wrote:"Hey, kids. See that cop? I'll give you $5 each if you tell him that the guy in that car tried to make you sit on his lap."

What a way to break surveillance.

Yeah, that was genius, wasn't it?

Library Ogre

Incidentally, the interface at USA is a trifle PITA; to get to the next part of the "full episode", click on the words "full episode" under the screen, and the list of episodes will appear. Choose your episode, and the episode parts will appear.

All Palladium Articles
Aramanthus
Monk

I'm going to have to do that MH. I missed a lot of episodes. I'll have time to do that after Dec. 20th for awhile.

HH....FIE
Library Ogre

Ok, just out of curiosity, what skills would you say would be required to take apart a cell phone and link it to a light's motion detector? Are we talking Basic Electronics, or would that need to be full Gizmoteer Construction Skill?

All Palladium Articles
Mantisking
Hero

Mark Hall wrote:Ok, just out of curiosity, what skills would you say would be required to take apart a cell phone and link it to a light's motion detector? Are we talking Basic Electronics, or would that need to be full Gizmoteer Construction Skill?

Circuitboard Microelectronics would be my guess.
Aramanthus
Monk

I don't think basic would be covered by that skill.

HH....FIE
Library Ogre

Re: Burn Notice

It's back on! They're rerunning the first season!

All Palladium Articles
Aramanthus
Monk

I know. I finally saw the pilot episode. It's a great show. This time I'm not going to miss an episode!

HH....FIE
Mantisking
Hero

Aramanthus wrote:I don't think basic would be covered by that skill.

What do you mean?

Mark Hall wrote:It's back on! They're rerunning the first season!

I should check my dvr then. :)
Aramanthus
Monk

I just don't feel basic electronics would cover that sort of work that he did to the cell phone. It is just my opinion. Please explain if you think basics would cover something like that. I'd love to hear it.

HH....FIE
Library Ogre

Aramanthus wrote:I just don't feel basic electronics would cover that sort of work that he did to the cell phone. It is just my opinion. Please explain if you think basics would cover something like that. I'd love to hear it.

Here's your previous post:

I don't think basic would be covered by that skill.

I can see why he had trouble interpreting that one.

All Palladium Articles
Mantisking
Hero

Aramanthus wrote:I just don't feel basic electronics would cover that sort of work that he did to the cell phone. It is just my opinion. Please explain if you think basics would cover something like that. I'd love to hear it.

I didn't think that Basic Electronics would cover it, I suggested Circuitboard Microelectronics.
Aramanthus
Monk

I admit to being out of it that night. I must have been buried deep in the depression I've only begun to shake off after about four months. You are quite correct about the skill you mentioned previously. The circuitboard microelectronics skill.

HH....FIE
Library Ogre

Just a reminder, the new season starts Thursday at 10/9 central.

All Palladium Articles
Aramanthus
Monk

I know! I'm counting the hours until it starts! Looking forward to seeing how little Fiona can wear this season! :D

HH....FIE
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

Someone at work mentioned this show, so i checked it out. And man it is great! To who ever (Mark?) said "i wanna play N&SS now" i couldn't agree more. Man. I watched/listened to the whole series at work, and can't wait for new episodes. So the Bruce is a little chubby, i'm from Florida and believe me he's more authentic than most of the other people on that show. (Fi needs a sammich).:)

As far as the phone to motion detector thing, IMO it was certainly the intent of the gizmoteer skill to cover things like that. Whether or not you could do it with other skills, is debatable.
Mantisking
Hero

Word is it's been renewed for a third season, with even more episodes.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”