Martial Artists on the forum

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Re: Martial Artists on the forum

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

Rangin108 wrote:Jeet Kune Do/Kali Instructor under Paul Vunak

Gwonbeop at Gakhwang Temple

Taegwondo Mudeokgwan

Love that guy's stuff. Got me into some really good training habits. Huge inspiration in my JKD kali days. Even still actually.
Tearstone
Adventurer

Unread post by Tearstone »

Okay, my martial arts background is kinda long/extensive.

I first fell in love with the martial arts from movies and TV. I can remember the moment it happened too. I was watching a bar fight, and the main character hit this guy with a high front kick in the chin and kicked him up and over this bar. (I believe it was Don "The Dragon" Wilson). I thought that was the coolest thing ever, and I wanted to learn how to do that. That was at 7.

Around 10, I took a week long seminar in American Karate. It was fun. I practiced what I learned, but since I didn't have a teacher, or the focus needed, I stayed sloppy.

Then, I got back to Texas (was born here originally) when I started the 6th grade. Got picked on a lot. Got into a fight in the park once, 4 on 1. I lost, but I think I left some busted ribs on a couple of them, but that didn't save me from getting bloodied and busted up myself.

So, I practiced harder, and more. Mostly though it was freestyle, until I met my first teacher. James Levi Farren. Local guy, trained mostly in Wing Chun, JKD, and Aikido, with some Iaido/Kenjutsu. I began learning from him, mostly JKD concepts, Aikido, and sword skills, but on the side I began studying koppojutsu (ninja art of bone-breaking), as well as some of the Arts of Invisibilty. To this day, I can hide in plain sight, and have people look right over me and not see me, in just plain street clothes.

So, after training with him for two years, he left, due to personal reasons. Then I took two years of TKD and Hapkido under 3rd Dan BB Sabumnim Billy Sweeny. That guy did not like me at all. My striking techniques were good by then, but I hadn't worked much on defense, so I sucked there. I also tended to make his star students look not so good, when I could demonstrate "new" techniques better than they could. After two years, Sweeny left for Corpus Christi.

So, with no teacher, I wound up training a mix of Jeet Kune Do and Tae Kwon Do and kickboxing, as I was drafting techniques from a myriad of sources, such as movies, books, and even games. I've caught myself doing moves from the Tekken series when sparring before.

Anyway, once out of high school I moved involuntarily, but then began doing a two-year bout of Katsujin-ryu Shotokan Karate/Kickboxing/Goshinjutsu (self defense, basically)/Aikido, as well as training in the Dillman Pressure Point system, and training as a healer/energy/chi manipulator and in Chi Gung. Some of it I had experience with before, from various sources, but I was starting to consolidate stuff. Training under Sensei Albert Treto in Katsujin was a lot of fun, but I also got to be a better fighter, more accurate, and more powerful than I had been before, even with tae kwon do. At that point, I was also helping instruct the class, as well as our individual students as I was beginning to work toward my instructor black belt (which is 4x harder than just a regular blackbelt in Katsujin). Again, after two years, my instructor had to move, but by now, I was well-versed in all the techniques I had learned, and was starting to really combine them.

http://www.katsujin.org

Fast forward to 2006, I went to job corps. Ran into a bunch of martial artists there, though I was probably the most knowledgable and second most experienced, so I wound up teaching a few students there. I touched base again with my Wing Chun training, especially Sticky Hands. There, we couldn't really spar or anything without disciplinary action, but we could work on drills and stuff like SH. So, for the better part of a year we did that. Was a lot of fun.

I guess, condensing it all down it looks like this:

6 years freestyle karate
2 years Odikwan TKD
4 years JKD
3 years Aikido
2 shotokan karate
2 years Hapkido
4 years Freestyle Tai Chi
3 years Wing Chun/Wing Chun Concepts
15 years self-defense
7 years pressure point/energy manipulation
3 months fencing
10 years kenjutsu/iaijutsu

Weapons training is: katana/long/large swords, knife, stick/club/escrima, staff (short and long), nunchucku, tonfa, kama.

Mixed in with all this has been a lot of arnis/escrima/kali training, as well as a little bit of capoera, a short stint with Muay Thai (mostly what I could learn on my own), and some various smattering of Kung Fu, such as tiger, eagle claw, 9 Palms Mantis, and a spinning method similar to either Taido or Ba Gua. I have also come up with a homebrew version of Drunken Boxing, but since my knee was destroyed in 2006, I cant really do it anymore without the joint slipping out. I've done some chinese style sword work as well, and I've come up with my own version of the snap lock and snap throw, just from studying body mechanics.

At this point, I guess I'm something of an encyclopedia martial artist. One of my buddies at Job Corps which was raised in Japan, and helps run a dojo over there called me a "Wilder", simply because there's no telling what I'll come up with. As of late though, I've been thinking about creating a codified system, and a structured method for teaching, basically creating a recognizable style from the conglomerate of knowledge I have, and of course how I approach fighting.

I still agree with some of our posters here that Yuck Fuo Run is one of our best options, cuz the other guy may know Mexican Judo. Ju don't know if he gotta gun. Ju don't know if he gotta knife. Ju don't know what he got. Since I've started my martial arts training in earnest though, I've had several opportunities to fight, and have even had dumbasses take swings at me, but I have only blocked if needed, and most of the time, they walk away feeling like idiots, and even in one case wound up shaking my had cuz he realized he was wrong, way wrong.

It is always better to end a fight peacefully, or even head one off peacefully before it begins. Especially with certain legal rammifications. Then in the words of Mr Miyagi "Fighting not good. Somebody always get hurt." This is true in any kind of fighting. Then there's the consideration that if you loose, you might wind up in the hospital. If you win, they might, and you might get to go to jail as well as pay their hospital bills. I don't want to do that either, and when I was training under Levi, I was training to maim, incapacitate, and to kill, mostly be reflex. It was not a condition I wanted to fight under, not really. I still remember all of it, and even train it, but not for reflex anymore. I would only use that if someone were to try to seriously hurt or kill me, or my family.

If I quote you, you will get spell-checked.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Tearstone wrote:Okay, my martial arts background is kinda long/extensive.

I first fell in love with the martial arts from movies and TV. I can remember the moment it happened too. I was watching a bar fight, and the main character hit this guy with a high front kick in the chin and kicked him up and over this bar. (I believe it was Don "The Dragon" Wilson). I thought that was the coolest thing ever, and I wanted to learn how to do that. That was at 7.

Around 10, I took a week long seminar in American Karate. It was fun. I practiced what I learned, but since I didn't have a teacher, or the focus needed, I stayed sloppy.

Then, I got back to Texas (was born here originally) when I started the 6th grade. Got picked on a lot. Got into a fight in the park once, 4 on 1. I lost, but I think I left some busted ribs on a couple of them, but that didn't save me from getting bloodied and busted up myself.

So, I practiced harder, and more. Mostly though it was freestyle, until I met my first teacher. James Levi Farren. Local guy, trained mostly in Wing Chun, JKD, and Aikido, with some Iaido/Kenjutsu. I began learning from him, mostly JKD concepts, Aikido, and sword skills, but on the side I began studying koppojutsu (ninja art of bone-breaking), as well as some of the Arts of Invisibilty. To this day, I can hide in plain sight, and have people look right over me and not see me, in just plain street clothes.

So, after training with him for two years, he left, due to personal reasons. Then I took two years of TKD and Hapkido under 3rd Dan BB Sabumnim Billy Sweeny. That guy did not like me at all. My striking techniques were good by then, but I hadn't worked much on defense, so I sucked there. I also tended to make his star students look not so good, when I could demonstrate "new" techniques better than they could. After two years, Sweeny left for Corpus Christi.

So, with no teacher, I wound up training a mix of Jeet Kune Do and Tae Kwon Do and kickboxing, as I was drafting techniques from a myriad of sources, such as movies, books, and even games. I've caught myself doing moves from the Tekken series when sparring before.

Anyway, once out of high school I moved involuntarily, but then began doing a two-year bout of Katsujin-ryu Shotokan Karate/Kickboxing/Goshinjutsu (self defense, basically)/Aikido, as well as training in the Dillman Pressure Point system, and training as a healer/energy/chi manipulator and in Chi Gung. Some of it I had experience with before, from various sources, but I was starting to consolidate stuff. Training under Sensei Albert Treto in Katsujin was a lot of fun, but I also got to be a better fighter, more accurate, and more powerful than I had been before, even with tae kwon do. At that point, I was also helping instruct the class, as well as our individual students as I was beginning to work toward my instructor black belt (which is 4x harder than just a regular blackbelt in Katsujin). Again, after two years, my instructor had to move, but by now, I was well-versed in all the techniques I had learned, and was starting to really combine them.

http://www.katsujin.org

Fast forward to 2006, I went to job corps. Ran into a bunch of martial artists there, though I was probably the most knowledgable and second most experienced, so I wound up teaching a few students there. I touched base again with my Wing Chun training, especially Sticky Hands. There, we couldn't really spar or anything without disciplinary action, but we could work on drills and stuff like SH. So, for the better part of a year we did that. Was a lot of fun.

I guess, condensing it all down it looks like this:

6 years freestyle karate
2 years Odikwan TKD
4 years JKD
3 years Aikido
2 shotokan karate
2 years Hapkido
4 years Freestyle Tai Chi
3 years Wing Chun/Wing Chun Concepts
15 years self-defense
7 years pressure point/energy manipulation
3 months fencing
10 years kenjutsu/iaijutsu

Weapons training is: katana/long/large swords, knife, stick/club/escrima, staff (short and long), nunchucku, tonfa, kama.

Mixed in with all this has been a lot of arnis/escrima/kali training, as well as a little bit of capoera, a short stint with Muay Thai (mostly what I could learn on my own), and some various smattering of Kung Fu, such as tiger, eagle claw, 9 Palms Mantis, and a spinning method similar to either Taido or Ba Gua. I have also come up with a homebrew version of Drunken Boxing, but since my knee was destroyed in 2006, I cant really do it anymore without the joint slipping out. I've done some chinese style sword work as well, and I've come up with my own version of the snap lock and snap throw, just from studying body mechanics.

At this point, I guess I'm something of an encyclopedia martial artist. One of my buddies at Job Corps which was raised in Japan, and helps run a dojo over there called me a "Wilder", simply because there's no telling what I'll come up with. As of late though, I've been thinking about creating a codified system, and a structured method for teaching, basically creating a recognizable style from the conglomerate of knowledge I have, and of course how I approach fighting.

I still agree with some of our posters here that Yuck Fuo Run is one of our best options, cuz the other guy may know Mexican Judo. Ju don't know if he gotta gun. Ju don't know if he gotta knife. Ju don't know what he got. Since I've started my martial arts training in earnest though, I've had several opportunities to fight, and have even had dumbasses take swings at me, but I have only blocked if needed, and most of the time, they walk away feeling like idiots, and even in one case wound up shaking my had cuz he realized he was wrong, way wrong.

It is always better to end a fight peacefully, or even head one off peacefully before it begins. Especially with certain legal rammifications. Then in the words of Mr Miyagi "Fighting not good. Somebody always get hurt." This is true in any kind of fighting. Then there's the consideration that if you loose, you might wind up in the hospital. If you win, they might, and you might get to go to jail as well as pay their hospital bills. I don't want to do that either, and when I was training under Levi, I was training to maim, incapacitate, and to kill, mostly be reflex. It was not a condition I wanted to fight under, not really. I still remember all of it, and even train it, but not for reflex anymore. I would only use that if someone were to try to seriously hurt or kill me, or my family.

So you're over 70 years old?

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Tearstone
Adventurer

Pepsi Jedi wrote:

I'm 27. You -can- focus on more than one art at a time, and just because you switch instructors, doesn't mean you cannot add to your repitoire with a weapon. And, it also helps if you're constantly thinking about or practicing your techniques. If you can't train in body you can always train in your mind. Think about your location, what's available, what would you do if the person you are interacting with did such and such, or so and so. Come up with 5 attacks, and then five more off each one of those, branching them out, basically creating quick combo-chains in case something does happen. (almost never does) That way you're up to five moves ahead, whatever they do. Experiment and pay attention to your own body and how it moves and interacts with others. If you think of an interesting technique, develop it in your head, then work on it with your sparring partner. Try to come up with a counter for it too.

Training and learning is not just limited to time in the classroom or dojo. Think, be creative, and think outside the box too.

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Tearstone wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:

I'm 27. You -can- focus on more than one art at a time, and just because you switch instructors, doesn't mean you cannot add to your repitoire with a weapon. And, it also helps if you're constantly thinking about or practicing your techniques. If you can't train in body you can always train in your mind. Think about your location, what's available, what would you do if the person you are interacting with did such and such, or so and so. Come up with 5 attacks, and then five more off each one of those, branching them out, basically creating quick combo-chains in case something does happen. (almost never does) That way you're up to five moves ahead, whatever they do. Experiment and pay attention to your own body and how it moves and interacts with others. If you think of an interesting technique, develop it in your head, then work on it with your sparring partner. Try to come up with a counter for it too.

Training and learning is not just limited to time in the classroom or dojo. Think, be creative, and think outside the box too.

mmmmmmmmmmm I call BS on this. You're 27 but are claiming 58 years of martial arts training. Put the movies down. Reality is your friend. Sitting around thinking up moves does not equate to years of martial arts training. If it did. Most people on RPG boards would have decades and decades and decades in dozens of martial arts.. kinda like you list here. lol

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

Tearstone
Adventurer

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Tearstone wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:

mmmmmmmmmmm I call BS on this. You're 27 but are claiming 58 years of martial arts training. Put the movies down. Reality is your friend. Sitting around thinking up moves does not equate to years of martial arts training. If it did. Most people on RPG boards would have decades and decades and decades in dozens of martial arts.. kinda like you list here. lol

I began seriously training when I was 12, so that equates to 15 years self defense.
Again, when I was 14 I began training in Wing Chun, Aikido, sword training, and basic JKD for 2 years under Levi Farren.
I continued JKD for 2 more years afterward (basically until I was out of High School)
I was also doing Tae Kwon Do for 2 years during that time, from my sophmore to senior year.

So, that is 6 years self defense, 4 years JKD, 2 years TKD & Hapkido, 2 Years WC, 2 years Aikido, and 4 years sword. Training was every day of the week, for at least an hour a day, with an average of 3 hours, but with training sessions going on 6 to 8 hours. A lot of my training after Levi left was self taught, but my TKD and Hapkido were through the Borger Tae Kwon Do academy. Sadly, I only ever got to go to one tournament in my two years of training, which was in Oklahoma City. It's an annual tournament, or at least it used to be, held in the middle of March of every year.

Not all of it was strictly martial arts, some of it was hiking, desert survival, and doing free-form structure climbing. (No harnesses, ropes, or safety gear). Of course I was also practicing shooting with everything from BB guns to rifles and shotguns.

Most people went to football practice. I chose to spend hours punching and kicking trees and working out on a heavy bag, or practicing sword kata. (I hated traditional school athletics). I got ***** at about 'beating' on my grandmother's trees. Its not like I was doing them any real damage, and if they cant take a few years of abuse, they're really puny trees, which they werent. They were big oaks and elms.

During this training, I had begun experimenting with pressure points to relieve pain and of course I also mapped out what caused pain. I stumbled across the Dilman method shortly after graduating. (I love his whole "To manipulate a joint, strike a point; to strike a point, manipulate a joint" philosiphy.)

Out of high school, I kept working with my sword training, and as a result when I got into Katsujin, once we started sword training in that class, I was the only student allowed to use an actual sword, because I could handle quite well. I was also the only student allowed to handle my sensei's sword. (His was hand forged, fitted to his form, and cost him some decent money and was still as sharp as the day he got it 10 years prior.)

I trained Katsujin, which included sword training and self defense, for 2 years. During high school I also had started some Tai Chi (freestyle), but out of high school I was able to devote more time to it. During my day time, before work, I had hours to work on things, and I would do twenty to thirty minutes of Tai Chi in the morning at least, instead of a few minutes.

During all of this I'm not training 1 methodology at a time. In true Jeet Kune Do fashion I am taking what I like, and what works for me and keeping that, and getting rid of that which doesn't. By 2006, which has been 12 years of training at this point, I'm coming up with my own methods, my own approach to fighting and combat.

I spent another year of training in Wing Chun in Job Corps, while I also took a few months of fencing. I didn't stick with it though, it was too rigid for me, not to mention I'm really too broad to be a good fencer.

What it really comes down to is this: If you live, eat, sleep and breathe a way of life/training and use it and work on it constantly, developing it every day, you will advance farther than someone who attends a class once a week for an hour.

Based on the 1 hour a week (which is typical for many students in America) you can fit a year's worth of training into 2 weeks of diligent, full-time training, quite easily. This is part of just about every organization's training philosiphy. The military trains sections of their training in full-time segments. several weeks weapons training, several weeks hand to hand, etc. Same goes for the FBI, CIA, NSA, and police academies everywhere, as well as almost every other military and special operations group around the world.

Now, when I'm speaking of years worth of training, those are periods when I am doing almost nothing but training in my free time, outside of work or class.

Believe it or not, but I have the hours put in, the bumps, bruises, sprains, and screwed up joints to prove it. Sadly I can't train like I used to, not since Job Corps, since I dislocated my knee in 3 directions, a result of putting on a demonstration with one of my friends. I've paid my dues, I've put in the time, blood, sweat, and tears. If you still have difficulty believing, come find me. I will be happy to teach everything I know, or accept a challenge in place of teaching.

Either way...

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Tearstone wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Tearstone wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:

I began seriously training when I was 12, so that equates to 15 years self defense.
Again, when I was 14 I began training in Wing Chun, Aikido, sword training, and basic JKD for 2 years under Levi Farren.
I continued JKD for 2 more years afterward (basically until I was out of High School)
I was also doing Tae Kwon Do for 2 years during that time, from my sophmore to senior year.

So, that is 6 years self defense, 4 years JKD, 2 years TKD & Hapkido, 2 Years WC, 2 years Aikido, and 4 years sword. Training was every day of the week, for at least an hour a day, with an average of 3 hours, but with training sessions going on 6 to 8 hours. A lot of my training after Levi left was self taught, but my TKD and Hapkido were through the Borger Tae Kwon Do academy. Sadly, I only ever got to go to one tournament in my two years of training, which was in Oklahoma City. It's an annual tournament, or at least it used to be, held in the middle of March of every year.

Not all of it was strictly martial arts, some of it was hiking, desert survival, and doing free-form structure climbing. (No harnesses, ropes, or safety gear). Of course I was also practicing shooting with everything from BB guns to rifles and shotguns.

Most people went to football practice. I chose to spend hours punching and kicking trees and working out on a heavy bag, or practicing sword kata. (I hated traditional school athletics). I got ***** at about 'beating' on my grandmother's trees. Its not like I was doing them any real damage, and if they cant take a few years of abuse, they're really puny trees, which they werent. They were big oaks and elms.

During this training, I had begun experimenting with pressure points to relieve pain and of course I also mapped out what caused pain. I stumbled across the Dilman method shortly after graduating. (I love his whole "To manipulate a joint, strike a point; to strike a point, manipulate a joint" philosiphy.)

Out of high school, I kept working with my sword training, and as a result when I got into Katsujin, once we started sword training in that class, I was the only student allowed to use an actual sword, because I could handle quite well. I was also the only student allowed to handle my sensei's sword. (His was hand forged, fitted to his form, and cost him some decent money and was still as sharp as the day he got it 10 years prior.)

I trained Katsujin, which included sword training and self defense, for 2 years. During high school I also had started some Tai Chi (freestyle), but out of high school I was able to devote more time to it. During my day time, before work, I had hours to work on things, and I would do twenty to thirty minutes of Tai Chi in the morning at least, instead of a few minutes.

During all of this I'm not training 1 methodology at a time. In true Jeet Kune Do fashion I am taking what I like, and what works for me and keeping that, and getting rid of that which doesn't. By 2006, which has been 12 years of training at this point, I'm coming up with my own methods, my own approach to fighting and combat.

I spent another year of training in Wing Chun in Job Corps, while I also took a few months of fencing. I didn't stick with it though, it was too rigid for me, not to mention I'm really too broad to be a good fencer.

What it really comes down to is this: If you live, eat, sleep and breathe a way of life/training and use it and work on it constantly, developing it every day, you will advance farther than someone who attends a class once a week for an hour.

Based on the 1 hour a week (which is typical for many students in America) you can fit a year's worth of training into 2 weeks of diligent, full-time training, quite easily. This is part of just about every organization's training philosiphy. The military trains sections of their training in full-time segments. several weeks weapons training, several weeks hand to hand, etc. Same goes for the FBI, CIA, NSA, and police academies everywhere, as well as almost every other military and special operations group around the world.

Now, when I'm speaking of years worth of training, those are periods when I am doing almost nothing but training in my free time, outside of work or class.

Believe it or not, but I have the hours put in, the bumps, bruises, sprains, and screwed up joints to prove it. Sadly I can't train like I used to, not since Job Corps, since I dislocated my knee in 3 directions, a result of putting on a demonstration with one of my friends. I've paid my dues, I've put in the time, blood, sweat, and tears. If you still have difficulty believing, come find me. I will be happy to teach everything I know, or accept a challenge in place of teaching.

Either way...

*Laughs* Man you're funny. At first I took you seriously. As if you were honestly trying to claim all this. Then it became clear you were doing the sterotypical 'I'm an internet ninja, tough guy' thing. It is funny. You had me goin' for a bit there. *Chuckles* Good effort in the titanic shoveling there though. Sorry. I took your first post as you honestly trying to claim that list of stuff seriously. Not that you were playing up the stereotype. My bad.

wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Lets get back on topic shall we? I like reading about martial artists and their backgrounds, true or false. I would really hate to see this get locked down. Challenge this guy's knowledge through PMs. lol
If anybody is interested, silat.tv is a great website for all martial artists. Its face book for people who like to punch each other. Lots of videos and wares for all you martial junkies out there. Most of its good, but you do have a sheister or two, just have your bs meter ready, but most of everybody on there is great and welcome people with open and joyful arms regardless of your style.
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Oh and Dillman's point striking system is very dangerous and he is hurting people more than he is helping people. You should never practice point striking in the manner that he does. Knocking out your training partners/students is stupid. I've seen his stuff, its solid but his method of practice is short sighted. You can only short circuit something for so long before it doesn't work properly anymore.
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Rangin108 wrote:
wolfsgrin wrote:Oh and Dillman's point striking system is very dangerous and he is hurting people more than he is helping people. You should never practice point striking in the manner that he does. Knocking out your training partners/students is stupid. I've seen his stuff, its solid but his method of practice is short sighted. You can only short circuit something for so long before it doesn't work properly anymore.

Dillman's point striking system is largely fakery and has been debunked on numerous occasions including on live television.

That too. i think there was one video where he just ends up slappn the pee out of some poor reporter. lol
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Honestly just tryng to keep it peaceful. Calling bs on something ain't my style. I know what reality is my friend. Not here to attack anybody just pointing trying to knock our your training partner is just bad practice whether by chokes or bullshido point striking. I
Like that bullshido term. Going to have to borrow that for my class. Lol
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

Max™ wrote:Any of you into kendo and/or tried out a polypropylene bokken yet?

So far I see talk of it feeling "dead", and some vibration issues.

Perhaps it's just bad grip techniques, I noticed when I had my girlfriend strike a tree a few times, before I showed her how to hold it she said it hurt, I've never had this issue myself.

The weight and feel of striking with it is very nice, as is the knowledge that you literally can't break it. I've never been able to use full power strikes without worrying about that before. Very fun stuff.

Curious if you guys have seen/heard of them, cold steel bokkens, they also have kodachi/tanto lengths, an o-bokken (which must be massive, mine is 11.5 inch handle, 30 inch "blade", very nice heft/mass/feel), and a couple european style "wasters" as well.

Also curious what you guys think the damage in game should be, there is a bit more flex than a wooden bokken, but it transfers the impact really efficiently to the target. The flex is pretty minor edge-on, only notice it really with a bad angled it, which is helpful for watching your form I suppose.

Really love this thing, bout $20~30 depending on shipping costs, whereas getting a comparably durable bokken requires a piece of impact grade hickory, like $120+, good luck!

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/cold- ... eview.html

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/image ... kken-1.jpg
http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/image ... kken-5.jpg
http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/image ... kken-6.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUhDpQxN-1U

I have the Cold Steel Wakazashi style boken and I enjoy using it. heck so far it's taken quite a few hits by friends who do SCA style reproduction fighting styles. heck I broke a waster cross grain with it. I love it but my friends don't like it as they say it hurts more.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Unread post by Beatmeclever »

Just thought I'd give this a bump since we have new members.
"The impossibility of the world lies in the fact that it has no equivalent anywhere;it cannot be exchanged for anything. The uncertainty of thought lies in the fact that it cannot be exchanged either for truth or for reality. Is it thought which tips the world over into uncertainty, or the other way around? This in itself is part of the uncertainty." - J. Baudrillard
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

7 year black belt, Hsin Hsing Yee Ti

Tons of fun and not many people in school wanted to fight the guy who learned kung-fu out of a garage. :P
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Huh! What? There was homework???

Unread post by Trooper Jim »

I watched a Ninja movie once... Does that count?
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I know a move or two. Lol.

Now more importantly, does anyone know any good gyms in the Aiken county area??
Done fighting (hopefully) and not much for grappling these days but I am looking for utemi or wushu acrobatics training.
Crucible
Champion

Unread post by Crucible »

Sambo, Krav Maga, Muay Thai, American Kickboxing, and Boxing. Recently taken a renewed interest in Krav Maga and Keysi.
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

Playing Rifts with your five older children, PRICELESS.

See My New Campaign in story form
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126287
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

I studied Kung Fu for 6 years during school and kept it up on my own for 5 or 6 years after that. Now that the kids are old enough to not require constant supervision, I've recently resumed my practice. It's a synthesis of internal arts, but my own practice is mostly centered around Tai Chi and Pa Kua Chang.

The curriculum is set by by CBII (Chinese Boxing Institute International) and there's plenty of interesting reading on their website for anyone interested: http://www.chineseboxing.com/index.html

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Uechi Ryu, Tang soo do, wushu, jujitsu, judo, folk style wrestling, boxing, kick boxing, wing chun, and several other kung fu styles.
Fencing, escrima, military knife fighting, sca ;) , and every other weapon I could find, improvised weapons training (microwave beats sidekick, everytime)
Preferred moves.
Elbow strikes.
Lead leg hook kick.
Single takedown.
Overhand left.
Preferred weapons.
Staff.
Manriki gusarai.
Hanbo.
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

Studied some Shorinji Kenpo when I was in Japan years and years ago, picked up some neat (ie vicious and dangerous) tricks from friends over the years that studied Aikido, Kick Boxing, and a few forms of Kung Fu... so, really, nothing :)
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: 44 years in denver, but now in grand rapids.

Unread post by Vincent Takeda »

Aikido and Genwakai Karate for me.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”