WP Claws

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RockJock
Knight

WP Claws

Unread post by RockJock »

Where is this listed? I thumbed through N&SS and Mystic China and didn't seem to see it. Is it there and I'm missing it, or should I use WP Knife instead?
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!

Unread post by Guest »

Just do like Rifts and use W.P. Knife.
RockJock
Knight

So I take it that the WP is missing?
Ten Tigers
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Ten Tigers »

Personally, I use W.P. Forked as it allows you to entangle which is something you can do with a decent set of claws.
I love a good fight...
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

What was it that Shredder had, in the TMNT book?
RockJock
Knight

I know there is a WP Armor in Splicers for spikes and such, but isn't there something under one of the Demon Hunter types in Mystic China about using their armor?

Unread post by Guest »

RockJock wrote:I know there is a WP Armor in Splicers for spikes and such, but isn't there something under one of the Demon Hunter types in Mystic China about using their armor?
W.P. Demon Suit, which is all it says.
RockJock
Knight

Lol, oh well. There is a Armor skill for Splicers.
Mantisking
Hero

Re: WP Claws

Unread post by Mantisking »

I created my own version.

W.P. Claw: This skill includes weapons such as the Japanese Nekode, the Indian Bagh Nakh, and the claws used by the martial artists of the Fu Chiao Pai style. Bonuses: Start with +1 to Parry and Entangle at level one. +1 to Strike at levels 4, 7, 10, and 13. +1 to Parry at levels 2, 6, 8, 11, and 14. +1 to Entangle at levels 3, 7, 10, 12, and 15.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
RockJock
Knight

Mantisking, in the end I used something fairly similar to what you described. I've thrown it into a few HU characters with claws built in, or from powers. It just makes sense that a guy who is a mutant cat with claws, or a mutant with claws would have some skill with them as opposed to just punching.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

have you looked in the mystic china book. I vaigly remember something in one of the MAF's with something about/close to WP claws.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
RockJock
Knight

I've started giving WP: Targeting for things like EE powers. I liked Targeting better then the modern WPs.

With the WP Claws I have found and since lost again where it says to use WP Knive. I still think they should get a better parry then that.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

This is part of why I like my WP Rules: For every level of a WP you have, you add +1 to something. You must have added that +1 to something else the previous level. Available bonuses are Strike, Parry, Damage, Throw and Entangle and 10% range. If you spend an additional skill on a WP, you get an additional level.

Thus, if you have level 4 WP Katana, you might have +1 to hit, +1 to parry, +1 to damage and +1 to throw, or you might have decided to go with +2 to Hit and +2 to damage, figuring you'd ramp up your WP Wakizashi to have a parry bonus.

If, at level 1 WP Bolt Action, you put a +1 to strike, you would not be able to put +1 to strike in it at second level; you could go with +10% to range, or +1 to damage, but not again to strike.

It keeps people from blatantly munchkining (i.e. I'm going to dump all my skills into WP paired and two WP, so I have one weapon with a +8 to Parry and one with a +8 to strike), but allows from flexibility and customization. It's also easy to quickly figure.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
RockJock
Knight

I like that approach, thanks for sharing it. Do you put any other limits?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

RockJock wrote:I like that approach, thanks for sharing it. Do you put any other limits?

Why bother? If they can't spend it every level, it gets much harder to munchkin. Best you'd be able to manage, at 15th level, is +8 to something... and someone else can manage that +8, as well.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

Holy dead thread resurrection, Batman... Anyhow, this came up and I did a lot of looking and searching and never saw or found an actual answer. But thought I'd throw in my 2 cents for any future searches...

Mystic China does in fact make a reference to a W.P. Claws. So it should in fact, exist, but to my knowledge does not.

However, in that same book, the W.P. Forked does make mention on any weapon with tines (Definition online, 1. A branch of a deer's antlers. or 2. A prong on an implement such as a fork or pitchfork.) falling into that category. So, since there is no actual answer, I along with some of the above folks agree that forked, not knives makes the most sense if attempting to deal with "claw" type weapons.

Feel free to argue, to discuss, or disagree. But, forked really does make the most sense.

That being said however... In Naruni Wave 2 it has W.P. Knife listed as being what you use for Ripper Vibro Claws.

So.................. In true Palladium fashion, the answer actually is W.P. Knife as an assumption based upon canon.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Everyone loves Shredder and wants to soupe him up, so I'd say that his in-book stats with the Ninjutsu were just him originally, but that he got stronger since then.

For example, since he taught all his foot soldiers HtHassassin, he probably has that skill too. He could select that as a Shang Ren (Capitalist Entrepreneur) since running a criminal syndicate would probably require such business skills.

Could also make him a Jian Shih (weapon-based martial artist) and select Liang Hsiang that way, give him some sweet body-hardening.

To be fair to Splinter, who should still be able to beat him, I'd make Splinter a Nei Chia Wu Shih and an Antiquarian too. The guy's got some mystical astral projection powers as explained in Transdimensional TMNT even though it wasn't reflected in his stats.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

On the subject of W.P. Suit, I thought the Demon Wrestling(Mystic China) martial art had, as part of its style, fighting with a suit of razors. Some description may accompany that as to attendant bonuses.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
r4o19b
D-Bee

Unread post by r4o19b »

Not to resurrect a dead horse, but...

From teenage mutant ninja turtles and other strangeness (palladium, 1989, revised):

Shredder's w.p. is listed as, 'wp suit: special - see below'
'Special Weapons: The Shredder's Armor: A.R.: 12, S.D.C: 180
for the body, including face plate and helmet. Arm blades do 3D6
damage, two blades on the fist do 2D6 with a punch, on a leap the
Shredder can attempt two full arm swipes for 3D6 damage each.
With a body block he can use the shoulder spikes for 3D6 also. The
shin spikes do 2D6 on kicks.'

Interesting to note, here, that it says he can do a double swipe attack, but does not have a wp paired...?
He also has wp ALL ninja weapons and ALL modern weapons? That's crazy.... I'm assuming it's limited to just what's listed in tmnt & os, but still!
.all things are circular.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”