Pao Chih and Automatic Parry

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

Pao Chih and Automatic Parry

Unread post by Axelmania »

N&S 132 "All martial artists, spies, super heroes and combat trained characters get an automatic parry."

MC 192 "Basic Defensive Moves: Dodge"

So, if this was your only form, could you do it?

Pao Chich doesn't provide other stuff which you might assume people without combat training might be able to do, such as a 1D4 punch.

I'm wondering if we could assume that anyone with a form could also fight as if untrained (not using the form) which would give access to things like punching for someone whose only form is Pao Chih.

Unlike some other games, which give a note about 1/3/9 melee attacks (and in later games, also a +1 to dodge and extra 'non combat' actions) I can't find guidelines on how to do combat for people without martial arts forms.

I guess that's because, far as I can tell, every class in both books has at least Basic to begin with.
Wintercross
D-Bee

Re: Pao Chih and Automatic Parry

Unread post by Wintercross »

iirc, the standard for untrained characters is 1 attack per round and 3 or 4 non-combat actions
Axelmania
Knight

Yeah, though i couldn't find that in this system since every class gets a combat form.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would say that Pao Chih does NOT get automatic parry.
The theory being that it is in a later book, and thus its deliberate non-inclusion of the ability specifically trumps the rule.
It is not a 'trained fighter' art after all, but basically a meditative exercise.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Wintercross wrote:iirc, the standard for untrained characters is 1 attack per round and 3 or 4 non-combat actions

Non combat actions got introduced well over a decade later in Rifts. the concept didn't exist in N&SS.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Axelmania
Knight

Probably more worrying is there is no actual way to play a character without a martial art form in any of these games. =/

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”