Attacks per Melee and KO questions

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

majorverse
Newb

Attacks per Melee and KO questions

Unread post by majorverse »

For the below questions use a character named "Bob". Bob is a 1st level character with Assassin HTH Commando (N&SS p93) which provides 2 attacks per melee (APM) and Boxing (N&SS p43) that adds 1 attack per melee and automatic knock outs on natural 20 plus more.

1. Will Bob have 3 attacks per melee for any skilled HTH attack, like 3 kick attacks or knife hands or just using his fists (boxing)?
2. Will Bob automatically KO during any HTH attack on a natural 20 roll or just with fists? Example, will Bob KO with a kick attack on natural 20?
3. Will Bob have 3 APM with ancient or modern weapons? For example, will Bob get 3 APM with long bow or .357 magnum pistol?

In a particular melee, Bob was struck with a successful knock out/stun (KO) attack. Then Bob fails to parry this KO attack. Bob then attempts to "roll" (N&SS p130) with the KO. If Bob's "roll" with KO is successful (Bob's dice roll + bonuses >= KO strike die roll + bonuses ) do you simply reduce the number of melee rounds that Bob is temporarily incapacitated (1d6 / 2) or does the KO do no damage/no effect? I ask because if you call a "knock out/stun" and fail to KO/stun then "knock out/stun" does no damage (N&SS p129).

Thanks for the information. References or links to answers would be appreciated. It's been almost 20 years since I dabbled in Palladium system so I wanted to clarify.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Attacks per Melee and KO questions

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

1: Three APM total. Any combination. It is presumed that boxing sharpened the reflexes overall.

2: Any bare handed attack. (which means when attacking without any tools/weapons)

3: assuming a liberal GM, See answer #1, 1st sentence. Assuming a AR RAW GM, the char has to have a weapons kata to use a weapon with their Martial arts Form.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Does it say with a punch? I want automatic knockouts on a natural 20 when I poke someonewith a screwdriver.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Boxing, pugilism, is a bare-handed fighting style.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Bob gets three actions per melee round. The game didn't start complicating things with dedicated actions until somebody got the bright idea that creatures with prehensile tails should be able to do an extra thing per round, but only with that appendage. Then the sharpshooters from New West got dedicated actions for shooting pistols. At this point, you could probably get creative and have a character with three or four additional actions per round, but only in specific circumstances.

Boxing is a barehanded skill, but it does not stipulate that only punch attacks or even unarmed attacks benefit from auto knockout. You can, and probably should, play it that way. On the other hand, will your game be more fun if characters are being stunned on natural 20s? If so, apply it to everything.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Boxing is barehanded but if the bonus to PS also benefits kicking damage and the extra attack can be done with kicks then why not the knockout as well? If it represents a generic increase in power, a generic increase in speed, then it could also represent a generic increase in knockout power or timing or aiming.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

majorverse wrote:2. Will Bob automatically KO during any HTH attack on a natural 20 roll or just with fists? Example, will Bob KO with a kick attack on natural 20?

Most GMs I played with allowed this to work with melee weapons as well, but not missile weapons.

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Last edited by The Beast on Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

The Beast wrote:
majorverse wrote:2. Will Bob automatically KO during any HTH attack on a natural 20 roll or just with fists? Example, will Bob KO with a kick attack on natural 20?

Most GMs I played with allowed this to work with melee weapons as well, but not missile weapons.

That's surprising.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:1: Three APM total. Any combination. It is presumed that boxing sharpened the reflexes overall.

2: Any bare handed attack. (which means when attacking without any tools/weapons)

3: assuming a liberal GM, See answer #1, 1st sentence. Assuming a AR RAW GM, the char has to have a weapons kata to use a weapon with their Martial arts Form.

I would note that the answer for #1 is for the N&S setting. Other settings will have their different totals from having a H2H.
examples being that in Rifts having just the H2H the char will have 3 APM @ L!. but in the PF2 setting the h2h assassin only gives 1 APM @ L1. Both of these before adding in any Boxing bonus APM.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”