Can't believe I found this...

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

green.nova343
Adventurer

Can't believe I found this...

Unread post by green.nova343 »

OK, just happened to stop at one of the local Half Price Books today. Mainly wanted to see if they had any good books to provide background for USN & other world naval vessels (they did) & any cheap older PC games (they didn't). Just happened to take a quick look at the RPG shelves (right there with the PC games)...

Cannot believe it, but I actually found the original edition of N&SS...the one where Dedicated MAs could take three martial arts, Worldly MAs could take two martial arts, & the term "exclusive" only meant that you couldn't pick it as a secondary form.

The plasticized paper is peeling just a bit, & it's obviously been used by the slight paper discoloration...but I only paid $4.99 plus tax for it... :D :D :D
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Re: Can't believe I found this...

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

Yep, we're all jealous.

Congrats on your find; that is awesome.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

@_@ <--- Me
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

The acts I would commit to acquire an edition like this for HU/NaSS/TMNT...
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
McFacemelt
Wanderer
Comment: Now go away, or I will be forced to taunt you a second time.

Unread post by McFacemelt »

You'd be amazed at what you can find at second hand stores.

About a year ago one of my players found a 1st ed. printing of TMNT at Goodwill.

Although it was pretty used (worn edges, cracking on the binding, etc.) when he saw the price he said he almost feinted.

After tax, $1.20 for what is probably one of the rarest Palladium books.
I am and shall always be the GM who gives you what you want, only to make you wish you had wanted something else.
The Ruiner
Explorer
Comment: I am a perfectionist who is good at nothing. You can imagine my frustration.

Unread post by The Ruiner »

This is the edition of NSS that I have.....I never realized they changed those things.
"There's only room in here for One, and I've decided it's not you."

"Open your eyes, I'm gonna horrify you into a comma!"--Master Shake
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

The Ruiner wrote:This is the edition of NSS that I have.....I never realized they changed those things.

I think it has gone through 2 or 3 "revisions"
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I want those super-high 1st ed martial art form stats. I feel like I'll never find them.

Although there's 1st ed Old Ones floating around with their stats, I don't know if any e-books are being sold for 1st ed N*SS.

Kind of which Palladium would go back to original high stats I heard about, wouldn't upset the Megaverse too much.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Unread post by Beatmeclever »

I got mine the year it came out. :)
"The impossibility of the world lies in the fact that it has no equivalent anywhere;it cannot be exchanged for anything. The uncertainty of thought lies in the fact that it cannot be exchanged either for truth or for reality. Is it thought which tips the world over into uncertainty, or the other way around? This in itself is part of the uncertainty." - J. Baudrillard
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Would green, Ruiner or Beat be willing to give us some 'reverse conversion' notes regarding how much to soup up the stats of various HtH skills if we want to play them at 1st edition power levels as Wujcik originally conceived them?

I heard it was more than just 3>2 arts, weren't the bonuses and stuff actually higher?

It would be awesome if we Revised folk could know how to alter our book stats to abide by 1st ed rules.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Oh, the abuse I could heap with those loopholes, the atrocities I could commit...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Tor wrote:Would green, Ruiner or Beat be willing to give us some 'reverse conversion' notes regarding how much to soup up the stats of various HtH skills if we want to play them at 1st edition power levels as Wujcik originally conceived them?

I heard it was more than just 3>2 arts, weren't the bonuses and stuff actually higher?

It would be awesome if we Revised folk could know how to alter our book stats to abide by 1st ed rules.
General Rule of thumb?
apply the 2AfL
add 2 additional MAP at 1st level.
There.
Backwards conversion done.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

jaymz wrote:
The Ruiner wrote:This is the edition of NSS that I have.....I never realized they changed those things.

I think it has gone through 2 or 3 "revisions"
Only 1 "official" revision.
There is N&S and N&Sr.
There may have been a few of the "usual" stealth revision I do not know on that score.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
The Ruiner
Explorer
Comment: I am a perfectionist who is good at nothing. You can imagine my frustration.

Unread post by The Ruiner »

Wow, I'm glad I have the orginal version. Revised nerfed the crap out of my ninjistu.
"There's only room in here for One, and I've decided it's not you."

"Open your eyes, I'm gonna horrify you into a comma!"--Master Shake
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Did Kuseru list which printing of original and revised was used for the comparison?

A few Notes: The range of the Negative Chi Ability, Negative Chi Control (not to be confused with Control Negative Chi from Mystic China) has been given by Erick Wujcik as 40 feet (12.2 m).

Looking to page 120, a range for Negative Chi Control would not make any sense to me, since it is a self-targeting power.

I wonder if perhaps Kuseru meant that Erick said 40 feet was the range for the 2nd ability right after it, called Negative Chi Attacks, which is sorely missing in range and is an other-targeting power.

Too bad Kuseru's account appears to be deleted, would have liked to PM him about this.

Making it 40 matches up nicely with the page 118 range of Chi Awareness. Any greater and people could target you with NCA without you sensing them. Also sets up a nice NCA>FistGesture>OFC/NEC of 40/35/30 for progressively dangerous things.
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

All I can say is that I am glad that I have a first printing first edition N&SS. The Revision castrated the martial arts forms. That is my opinion on the matter.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I embrace your choice of verb and envy those with the pre-castrated version of N&SS.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Tor wrote:The acts I would commit to acquire an edition like this for HU/NaSS/TMNT...

I have to of them on my book shelf, what you going to do for them?
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Dress in a rubber suit, fall through a skylight, have my head stuck into a fish tank, chop an axe into live wires, have a dock collapse on me.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”