How many pieces in the Demon Armor?

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

How many pieces in the Demon Armor?

Unread post by Tor »

Regarding the armor described on page 44 and 188-190 of Mystic China, I'm trying to get a picture of this thing. I know that merely exercise/combat spurs are 13 pieces (helm plus a pair of knuckle/palm/elbow/shoulder/knee/ankle straps+spurs/spikes) and probably takes the same amount of time to put those on (perhaps a bit longer for combat since putting on spikes is more dangerous and would require more care than the sparring spurs)

Beyond that equipment, I'm wondering how many additional pieces are in the 'Full Demon Armor'. Assuming it took 1 melee action per piece you were putting on, I'm supposing there are extra steps to get all that AR and stuff. I assume of the two full suits, the lighter version (less AR/SDC/penalties) would take less time to put on than the heavy one, but in either case, I don't know what extra pieces there are and how long they'd take.

I figured to check a couple other books that deal with armor, so I grabbed PF2nd (page 270) and it mentions that full suits have:
*leggings (chausses/plating)
*knee guards
*shoulder guards
*elbow guards
*helmet
*coif
*hauberk/plating
*arm bands/plating
*gloves/gauntlets
*surcoat

Far as I can tell the knee/shoulder/elbow/helmet part is already covered under the 13 pieces mentioned in Mystic China, and the pieces that Demon Armor have that aren't mentioned under full suits would be the knuckle/palm/ankle pairs (6 more pieces). I guess if we ruled that the spike/armor parts of the overlap were separate that it would have to be done in 2 steps, in which case add 8 more parts (since helm has 2 spikes).

So the bits I thought to add to the 13 would be the coif, hauberk, surcoat, and then a pair of arm bands and a pair of leggins. So altogether, 7 more pieces, bringing it to a total of 20 pieces to the armor. Or 28 if counting the spikes and armor they go on top of separately.

Does anyone have an idea for any other pieces that I'm overlooking here? Or if any books address the time it takes to put on armor besides my attack/piece guess? Could it be slower or faster? I assume dressing goes faster if you have someone helping you put the stuff on too.

Would anyone know if we're ever given a picture showing what this looks like? You only get so much from a description. I imagine somewhere between how Infernals appear (since the hand to hand for using the armor is based on their instinctive combat style), how the Shredder appears, how Warlock Marines appear, or maybe how that Fallen Cosmo-Knight in phase world looks.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: How many pieces in the Demon Armor?

Unread post by The Beast »

I believe it took on average 30 minutes to put on medieval armor, and that was if someone helps you.

Upon further research, that time may be for the "lighter" types of armor.

Do we have any reenactors that can shed light?
The Beast

And looking further, samurai armor takes around 20 - 25 minutes, due to being a little lighter than the European types, and the fact that samurai tended to keep their armor prepped for use.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Are the Chinese armors as ornately underclothed as those though? They seemed a bit simpler and utilitarian.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
The Beast

Don't know. I just Googled how long it takes to put on armor.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Am wondering if it's even possible to put on some kinds of armor without help. Also rules on how much faster it would be if you had 2 helpers instead of 1 would be cool.

Also picturing people with telekinesis being able to use that to help them put on armor faster, or put on armor you couldn't otherwise put on alone.

Also wondering if Infiltrator Automatons from Dweomer would have the dexterity to aid in putting on people's armor for them. If they ever wanted to wear any they could probably just phase into a pre-assembled suit...

Perhaps Psi-Ghosts could also do that?
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I was never sure how the armor looked since I couldn't recall seeing a picture. I figured something like the Shredder but bulkier.

The picture of the Fallen Cosmo-Knight in Rifts Phase World looks pretty menacing, I kind of hope it looks something along those lines. In fact, because Fallen Knights lose their cosmic armor and it looked like the guy was carrying some kinda rune sword, it made me wonder if you could make armor as a cosmic weapon :) No stealing mah ideas tho

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”