hand to hand combat examples please

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

hand to hand combat examples please

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Because N&SS has so many different maneuvers and rules that are outside the normal realm of what appears in other palladium games, i'd like to see how they're run. It's been years since i've cracked N&SS and I really don't remember enough about how certain things work.

For example:

Can someone show me how Paired Weapons and Combination Strike/Parry or Parry/Strike would interact.

For example, would the Paired Weapons user be able to parry the counter from the Combination move user?

Disarm is often given bonuses separately from normal strike bonuses. My understanding is Disarm doesn't stack with normal strike or parry bonuses. You do add PP bonuses to the Disarm maneuver though. This is correct?

Is there a specific rule that says you can't parry a leap attack or leap kick? Also, when it comes to holds/chokes, is there a rule that allows you to keep someone locked down with one hand (say a really good wrist lock) and still make attacks with kicks, or even if you're in a bear hug, to headbutt an opponent? I know grappling isn't highly covered in the books (at least in Rifts) but I'm curious about N&SS.

Lastly, if you guys have any really good examples in games you've played that use tricky maneuvers and you have a certain point of view on how they could be applied, I'd like to hear that too, but please put your opinions separate from the references to the RAW.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Re: hand to hand combat examples please

Unread post by Tor »

I don't recall any reference to using PP bonuses to things like body flip or disarm or roll or anything like that. I'd say exclusively strike/parry/dodge maneuvers unless otherwise indicated.

There are cases where strike/disarm stack, though I'm not sure about N&SS, but elsewhere I've seen phrasing like '+3 to disarm on a called shot' with guns, or something along those lines, and called shots are strike rolls.

I haven't seen any reference to you being unable to parry a leap attack/kick. I think you can't parry a backwards sweep though, so dodge mandated there.

All normal holds 2 hands to put on. However in addition to that, it usually says you can't attack at all, which sucks for a cyborg with 3 arms who wanted to exploit the third arm.

If you want to immobilize someone with 1 arm and attack, the finger/wrist can be done with 1 arm, only the elbow lock requires 2.

Fong Ngan on page 90 has a 1-hand choke which allows you to keep attacking. Though it does less damage than the standard 2-arm choke, it presumably also requires an escape roll (though I would houserule at 1/2 the PS, possibly even 1/3, since it's just 1 limb applying it).

Wui Wing Chun on page 110 also gives a combo handhold+strike. It doesn't really make it clear if you let go of the hold after doing the strike or if you can maintain it and require the victim to escape.

I'm not sure there is a 'bear hug' move (though this might be what 'crush' from wrestling is?) but if you want to head-butt a guy while grabbing him, T'angSu on page 106 gives a grab/headbash which is close. It's not exactly a crush, but you could get a GM to rule that if you're applying a crush that you've already made the first portion of that.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: hand to hand combat examples please

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

heh, i meant if someone grabs you and you headbutt them.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”