Entangle + Choke

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Entangle + Choke

Unread post by Tor »

Was reading about the special attacks under Moo Gi Gong and then the improvised WP class in Mystic China which might apply to things like choking a guy with a t-shirt or something.

It occurred to me... if you first defensively entangled a guy's arm, could you proceed to then use the shirt to engage in a choke attack? I think this would still be possible if the entangling/strangling implement were adequately long. Not to mention that in maneuvers like arm triangle chokes (UFC) a person's own body is used to aid in strangulation.

Entangling doesn't get a lot of emphasis in Palladium (even stuff like disarm tends to get bonuses in some OCCs, even if such a bonus is only good for offensive use with most system retcons of how you require natural rolls when disarming defensively) so it's hard to have an instinctive picture of it. But since it presumably disables the limb until escaped. I get the impression you can only attempt to escape (via dodge) once per melee when the attacker is spending his per-melee action rerolling the entangle. This is at minimum though. Personally I think it should be okay to let someone spend all their actions on dodges to try and escape the entangle until they surpass the entangle roll. If allowed multiple escape attempts per melee I think auto-dodgers should only get the first one free though.

Although there really should be more bonuses to entangle out there, I really only see them in HU stretching powers...

Entangle does say that the character using the move can't attack without releasing the entangle hold but... well... yuck. Surely there is a way around this.

I suppose one could simply combine a choke+neckhold and that holds function just as well (if not better, since you can't just dodge out of them) as entangles.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Entangle + Choke

Unread post by fbdaury »

An sufficiently long enough item (rope, possibly belt or scarf) should be usable to first entangle a target by immobilizing an arm and then be used to also choke the target, yes.

And a half-nelson type hold or an arm/leg hold or most lock techniques should still allow you to attack your target- Shorinji Kenpo teaches a joint lock + takedown that specifically keeps the target on the ground with the locked limb immobilized while allowing for downward stomps onto the exposed stomach/chest area.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

What I don't really like about the Entangle rules is it appears you have to release the Entangle to attack further... but really, if you're using a flexible weapon to do it, it should still be possible to keep 2 hands in use immobilizing the limb while wrapping the weapon around (or even the opponent's arm, like in a triangle choke) to then choke them.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

Then just ignore the rules that state otherwise- maybe apply a -2 penalty to attack for each additional limb/neck entangled/choked.
Antimony
D-Bee

Jackie Chan doesn't obey the N&SS rules, either

Unread post by Antimony »

After watching fights in such movies like Rush Hour, Shanghai Noon and Knights, even if they're choreographed, I'd be willing to make concessions to players with high P.P. scores and even higher imaginations.
:rose:

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”