Making a Microchip fabricator

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nightmask
Palladin

Making a Microchip fabricator

Unread post by Nightmask »

So given the Microchip Technology Gizmoteer skill program says you can make your own microchips (a ridiculous idea but we'll accept it for now) you need to make something to make the microchips, i.e. a microchip fabricator. You aren't going to manage this cheaply but how do you handle the player who wants their character making their own CPU or other microchips? Do you just make up a number, simply not allow it even if they've got the skill program, look up the costs for such things online, or something else?
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Making a Microchip fabricator

Unread post by eliakon »

I have personally done it as 'you can design microchips because you understand all the nuances of the technology' Then when the design is done, I have had them try to come up with ways to make them, this usually ended up involving either sneaking into some ones plant, or just paying to have it fabricated (or just turn the design over to the Q department and wait).
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I just assume being a gizmoteer means you know how to make the tools to make what you want to make. I have no problem with the idea of a gizmoteer having a micro-sized micro-chip assembler in his basement. Yea it's unrealistic as hell, but N&SS isn't what I turn to for realism.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:I just assume being a gizmoteer means you know how to make the tools to make what you want to make. I have no problem with the idea of a gizmoteer having a micro-sized micro-chip assembler in his basement. Yea it's unrealistic as hell, but N&SS isn't what I turn to for realism.

Well it's more unrealistic that the Weapons Construction gizmoteer can't actually construct weapons when someone that skilled could easily make custom weapons equal to or superior to the open market in real life, but this is still pretty close given the extreme requirements necessary for the fabrication of electronics including the rare and super-pure materials required to construct a microchip. You just can't run down to the beach for some sand for example. It's really a skill program that shouldn't even exist, at least not in N&SS (it's questionable that it could even exist in Heroes Unlimited). But since it does an idea of just what it costs to actually make the program work would be good to know.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Nightmask wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:I just assume being a gizmoteer means you know how to make the tools to make what you want to make. I have no problem with the idea of a gizmoteer having a micro-sized micro-chip assembler in his basement. Yea it's unrealistic as hell, but N&SS isn't what I turn to for realism.

Well it's more unrealistic that the Weapons Construction gizmoteer can't actually construct weapons when someone that skilled could easily make custom weapons equal to or superior to the open market in real life, but this is still pretty close given the extreme requirements necessary for the fabrication of electronics including the rare and super-pure materials required to construct a microchip. You just can't run down to the beach for some sand for example. It's really a skill program that shouldn't even exist, at least not in N&SS (it's questionable that it could even exist in Heroes Unlimited). But since it does an idea of just what it costs to actually make the program work would be good to know.

It turns out there's a product called the feild programmable gate array, which is basically a blank slate microchip with mini-transitor blocks you can manipulate to actually create the desired result. they cost around 100 grand each for the tools to manipulate them, but it seems to work for the purposes of this. true, it's not building from scratch, but you can in fact buy chips you can design and program on the fly. it seems like a good realism compromise to figure your agency can provide the gizmoteer with them.

http://www.xilinx.com/training/fpga/fpg ... -array.htm
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Those aren't microchips; they are covered with microchips.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”