A more modular approach to Martial Arts

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nightmask
Palladin

A more modular approach to Martial Arts

Unread post by Nightmask »

While re-watching Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple I couldn't help but think how nice it would be if the various martial arts were more modular in fashion similar to how the old 1st Edition AD&D ones were where someone could learn pieces from various styles if they wished to develop their own unique style. Instead of someone having to learn Tae Kwon Do from a Tae Kwon Do master they could learn techniques from that style and others to integrate into a unique style all their own much as we see with the character of Kenichi who ends up integrating techniques from a half dozen Martial Arts to develop his own unique style.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: A more modular approach to Martial Arts

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

It would be neat, yeah. Though it would take a pretty hard reworking of the rules to do it to my satisfaction.

However, Hand to Hand: Basic, Expert, Martial Arts and Commando are all pretty much a mix of various forms, as per their descriptions...right?

Maybe the simplest way to do it is allow those styles to take martial art powers/body hardening/chi abilities at certain levels.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Sort of like MMA? You could just do up MMA as a cut'n'paste MAF.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Sure...and we can all the resulting mish-mashed MAF "Coup de Vitesse"
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Sure...and we can all the resulting mish-mashed MAF "Coup de Vitesse"

Or maybe "Neue-Stil Handgemenge"?

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

Nightmask wrote:I couldn't help but think how nice it would be if the various martial arts were more modular in fashion similar to how the old 1st Edition AD&D ones were where someone could learn pieces from various styles if they wished to develop their own unique style. Instead of someone having to learn Tae Kwon Do from a Tae Kwon Do master they could learn techniques from that style and others to integrate into a unique style all their own much as we see with the character of Kenichi who ends up integrating techniques from a half dozen Martial Arts to develop his own unique style.

What techniques were you hoping to integrate that you can't currently combine?
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Regularguy wrote:
Nightmask wrote:I couldn't help but think how nice it would be if the various martial arts were more modular in fashion similar to how the old 1st Edition AD&D ones were where someone could learn pieces from various styles if they wished to develop their own unique style. Instead of someone having to learn Tae Kwon Do from a Tae Kwon Do master they could learn techniques from that style and others to integrate into a unique style all their own much as we see with the character of Kenichi who ends up integrating techniques from a half dozen Martial Arts to develop his own unique style.

What techniques were you hoping to integrate that you can't currently combine?

Nothing like that, like I note in the starting post I was simply left thinking about such modular unique martial art style development from watching Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple due to his getting intense training in multiple martial arts. Various opponents will take note that he's not fighting as a 'pure' martial artist of a particular style but instead having techniques from a variety of masters. One has for example drilled him in Chinese Martial Arts another in Muei Thai Kick Boxing and yet another Karate, and even getting some training in other things including how to deal with weapon users.

After all new martial arts have to start somewhere and generally develop from someone (like Bruce Lee) picking and choosing from various other Martial Arts and integrating them into their own unique style that they later start teaching others. Players sometimes do like to be the first after all, getting to introduce something new rather than having to stick with just what the game has from its official lists.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Sure...and we can all the resulting mish-mashed MAF "Coup de Vitesse"

I actually had written up some stats for Coup de Vitesse ay one point.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”