Bonuses for modern weapon proficiencies

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Soldier of Od
Hero

Bonuses for modern weapon proficiencies

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Hi folks,

Can anybody clarify the bonuses for modern WPs in Ninjas and superspies for me please?

Under the skills sections, it says +1 to strike at 1st level, +1 at 4th, 7th , 10th and 14th levels. But in the combat section it says +3 to strike at 1st level (+4 for revolver for some reason), +1 for every three levels after that.

Which is it?
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Re: Bonuses for modern weapon proficiencies

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

But in the combat section it says +3 to strike at 1st level (+4 for revolver for some reason), +1 for every three levels after that.

Yeah, i can see where that would be confusing........these two numbers are for aimed shots only. so you would get the +2 to strike at 4th level, but if you took the time to aim, you add the +3 to that.....remember though aiming take up two attacks....

Hope this helps :-)

EDIT: See page 134 N&SS
The Dragon Has Spoken
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Sorry, Panomas, the two pages I was referring to are 46 and 134.

Snake Eyes wrote:
But in the combat section it says +3 to strike at 1st level (+4 for revolver for some reason), +1 for every three levels after that.

Yeah, i can see where that would be confusing........these two numbers are for aimed shots only. so you would get the +2 to strike at 4th level, but if you took the time to aim, you add the +3 to that.....remember though aiming take up two attacks....

Hope this helps :-)

EDIT: See page 134 N&SS

So you are saying add them together?! The WP skill descriptions in both the skills section (on page 46) and in the modern combat section (page 134) have advancements per level as well (see my first post). It gets pretty high if you are adding both. The bonuses on page 134 are not just for aimed shots - although I didn't mention them before, there is aslo a bonus for burst shots of +1. There is a bonus to strike at further levels for both.
An aimed shot takes one attack, not two (page 134, first column, most of the way down, under 'aimed').

Above that section it specifically states that the +3 (aimed) and +1 (burst) is from the weapon proficiency skill, but it is different from the bonus under the weapon proficiency skill in the skills section. Still confused.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

W.P.s are areas of training and practiced skill with a particular gun.......and yes you add them together
The Dragon Has Spoken
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

This could get real stacky if combined with the PP-based sharpshooter bonuses in CB1.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Tor wrote:This could get real stacky if combined with the PP-based sharpshooter bonuses in CB1.

Good thing that's from an entirely different game..
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Soldier of Od wrote:Hi folks,

Can anybody clarify the bonuses for modern WPs in Ninjas and superspies for me please?

Under the skills sections, it says +1 to strike at 1st level, +1 at 4th, 7th , 10th and 14th levels. But in the combat section it says +3 to strike at 1st level (+4 for revolver for some reason), +1 for every three levels after that.

Which is it?

And the contestant Wins the Prize .....As your Prize you get to choose which way you want to use.
;) :lol:

However,
The text in the skills section is probably a C&P typo. I say this because all of the Setting Main Books after that book and before RUE&RT2, use the +3/+1, +1/3L's stats.
---------
Or...if you want a SUPERspy char instead of a (reguler) spy char, you can add the WP's strike bonuses together.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

Which is it?

Personally I just ignore the +1 at first level part and stick with the standard +3 Aimed +1 Burst bonuses that are fairly commonplace throughout the many Palladium games that have firearm WP's. It's a lot easier to keep track of that way instead of having to add a bunch of extra stuff that seems to exist in just the one title.

On the +4 for Revolvers thing though... IMHO it is a nod to the perceived "better accuracy" quality of a revolver over an automatic incurred by having greater gas venting around the weapon's cylinder, the absence of the automatic's slide slamming back with every shot and other qualities that many gun afficiandos may give to justify such a thing.
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

MADMANMIKE wrote:Good thing that's from an entirely different game..
N&SS chars can make their way to Rifts and learn it. This isn't solely for the N&SS world, the forum is also for N&SS chars or content.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Tor wrote:
MADMANMIKE wrote:Good thing that's from an entirely different game..
N&SS chars can make their way to Rifts and learn it. This isn't solely for the N&SS world, the forum is also for N&SS chars or content.

The question was not about your hypothetical dimension hopping characters (inappropriate for this forum dedicated to Ninjas & Superspies™ which has no rules for doing so), it was about a rules clarification from Ninjas & Superspies™..

See? No mention of RIFTS anywhere...

As to the actual topic, I don't have my books with me at the moment, but I believe it was a matter of typo fixed between 1st edition and Revised.. Soldier of Od, do you have the Revised edition?
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

It is on-topic to discuss N&SS characters like Kinoshi here =/

Also you're wrong about N&SS lacking rules for dimension-hopping, it has notes for use with other games in the back.

Not to mention Mystic China effectively REQUIRES you to use other systems to know what psychic abilities demons have.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Play nice people!
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

All palladium is connected, optionally, but they make it clear that it is. I mean, you could play N&SS, BtS and Nightbane all in the same world if you wanted to. You have people who don't know about the truth (N&SS), people who are just sratching the surface (BtS) and people directly involved in the struggle (Nightbane).

Just depends on how you want to view it.

Though I understand the idea of keeping other games out of this forum.

The sharpshooter skill should exist in all games, anyway. Don't you think?
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Everything in the games is already optional :) Stuff treated as optional (like which, if any, interpretation of a god in Pantheons is picked) is still incorporated as a canonical part of the Megaverse.

N&SS being a distinct world is kinda implied by Kinoshi being from there, although him being from HU wouldn't be that out-there.
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

As mentioned earlier- the bonuses on page 46 (and on page 43 under the Military Weapons WPs) are from the original version of the games, whose rules were closer (I believe) to RECON in regards to how WPs functioned. Their inclusion in Revised edition would be a simple C&P error- and I must say, I am truly shocked such a thing could happen in a Palladium book! :shock: :roll:

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”