Saving Throw Question.

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Saving Throw Question.

Unread post by The Beast »

N&S, page 141, right hand side, large paragraph under the Dodge 'Em Tactic bullet mentions an Ejector Seat Saving Throw. Does anyone here know the book and page number that can be found on?
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Re: Saving Throw Question.

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

The Beast wrote:N&S, page 141, right hand side, large paragraph under the Dodge 'Em Tactic bullet mentions an Ejector Seat Saving Throw. Does anyone here know the book and page number that can be found on?

Nope. But I can offer you a personal theory on the matter.

First off, I don't think you can technically Save VS Ejector Seat. Just the words alone and the understanding of how something like that works, makes me think it's not possible in the way saving throws are generally understood. To me the words "Save VS ????" implies that you are trying to resist the effect of something. Given what an ejector seat does (launches you out of a vehicle or drops you out if you consider a trap door under the seat an ejector) I think saving VS the effect "being ejected" is impossible.

The only way(s) to "save" against being ejected are to either A. not get ejected in the 1st place or B. manage to avoid/lessen the damage you would incur from being ejected. To achieve that I propose the following options.

A. Avoid being ejected option 1

A. decides to eject B. from the vehicle for noxious body odor, messing with the radio, or whatever reason.
A. rolls to strike the ejector seat button on the dash.
B. sensing something might be up notices A. going for the button and decides to react by Blocking the Button, Deflecting A.'s Hand, etc.

This is done by A rolling to strike on a d20 + bonuses
B rolls to parry on a d20+bonuses
Highest result wins

A. Avoid being ejected option 2

A. decides to eject B. from the vehicle for noxious body odor, messing with the radio, or whatever reason.
A. pushes the cleverly hidden eject button/switch without B. noticing.
B. is oblivious to A.'s contempt and doesn't notice anything is amiss until he hears a click, feels an uncommon vibration under the seat, etc.
By now it is to late for B. to stop A. from activating the ejector seat. The only option now is to resist being ejected (closest you'll get to an actual save).

B is clued in to something happening and braces himself against any nearby support to avoid being launched from the vehicle or dropped out of it. B rolls to strike on a d20+bonuses. GM determines number to be beat for successful save.

B. To late, you're ejected. Now what?

You're going to take damage, probably a pretty hefty load of it too. Your only hope is to roll with punch/fall and take half damage is is stated in the rules.

Just for fun I'd also roll against your sense of balance % or your PP if you don't have a sense of balance to see if you can "stick the landing". A successful roll means you only take 1/4 damage and get bonus XP for flair. At least that's how I'd do it.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

Maybe it's a Save to determine if you launch the ejector seat before smashing into a mountain at top speed? It's hard to tell without elaboration.
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
The Beast

Mercdog wrote:Maybe it's a Save to determine if you launch the ejector seat before smashing into a mountain at top speed? It's hard to tell without elaboration.

That what I always thought it is, but, AFAIK, there's nothing else on it.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

It might refer to not passing out when being ejected.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

The Beast wrote:
Mercdog wrote:Maybe it's a Save to determine if you launch the ejector seat before smashing into a mountain at top speed? It's hard to tell without elaboration.

That what I always thought it is, but, AFAIK, there's nothing else on it.

This is what I use it for...

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
The Beast

Just spotted this rule in the HU book today, but again, it's not in there either. :badbad:

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”