Circular Parry

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drakinn
Explorer

Circular Parry

Unread post by drakinn »

"Circular Parry: The main idea here is that the martial artist
can parry all attacks that come in, regardless of direction. So
long as the defender is aware of the attackers, there's no limit to
how many blows can be parried. Works like an Automatic Parry
and takes no melee round attacks. During a Circular Parry the
character can attack only once per melee round."
if this is true what else would you do with your other attacks?
If I have 5 attacks and declare this move then I get one of those 5 and the other 4 what?
Skilled Warriors of old
Their wariness was as that of one crossing a river in winter;
Their caution was as that of one in fear of all around;
Their gravity was as that of a guest
Their relaxation was as that of ice at the melting point

Tao Te Ching
Mantisking
Hero

Re: Circular Parry

Unread post by Mantisking »

drakinn wrote:"Circular Parry: The main idea here is that the martial artist can parry all attacks that come in, regardless of direction. So long as the defender is aware of the attackers, there's no limit to how many blows can be parried. Works like an Automatic Parry and takes no melee round attacks. During a Circular Parry the character can attack only once per melee round."

if this is true what else would you do with your other attacks? If I have 5 attacks and declare this move then I get one of those 5 and the other 4 what?

The Circular Parry eats four of your attacks and leaves you with one.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

Mantisking wrote:
drakinn wrote:"Circular Parry: The main idea here is that the martial artist can parry all attacks that come in, regardless of direction. So long as the defender is aware of the attackers, there's no limit to how many blows can be parried. Works like an Automatic Parry and takes no melee round attacks. During a Circular Parry the character can attack only once per melee round."

if this is true what else would you do with your other attacks? If I have 5 attacks and declare this move then I get one of those 5 and the other 4 what?

The Circular Parry eats four of your attacks and leaves you with one.

Seconded. When performing a circular parry, the concept is that several attacks are coming at you from various angles/attackers, like the classic mob fight scene in a lot of martial arts movies where the hero gets ganged up on by a bunch of bad guys. (Bruce Lee flicks are famous for this kind of scene) With the sacrifice of all but one of your attacks, you can theoretically parry ALL of them with one roll. Of course, your one roll still has to be higher than ALL of the incoming attack rolls, but that shouldn't be too big a problem for you, right? :D
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
drakinn
Explorer

Unread post by drakinn »

"Works like an Automatic Parry
and takes no melee round attacks. During a Circular Parry the
character can attack only once per melee round."
the above is the description right out of the game book, so it doesn't take your attacks, but you can only attack once. I was thinking that parry flip throw and other defensive maneuvers that take actions can be done.
Skilled Warriors of old

Tao Te Ching
Mantisking
Hero

drakinn wrote:"Works like an Automatic Parry and takes no melee round attacks. During a Circular Parry the character can attack only once per melee round."

the above is the description right out of the game book, so it doesn't take your attacks, but you can only attack once. I was thinking that parry flip throw and other defensive maneuvers that take actions can be done.

Attack = Action. So using Circular Parry limits you to one action per melee round.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
drakinn
Explorer

Unread post by drakinn »

Mantisking wrote:
drakinn wrote:"Works like an Automatic Parry and takes no melee round attacks. During a Circular Parry the character can attack only once per melee round."

Attack = Action. So using Circular Parry limits you to one action per melee round.

a Parry flip throw takes an action but is not an attack it is a defense that takes an action
Skilled Warriors of old

Tao Te Ching
Mantisking
Hero

Mantisking wrote:Attack = Action. So using Circular Parry limits you to one action per melee round.
drakinn wrote:a Parry flip throw takes an action but is not an attack it is a defense that takes an action

As your one attack remaining for the Melee Round? Sure.
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

Mantisking wrote:

Mantisking wrote:Attack = Action. So using Circular Parry limits you to one action per melee round.
drakinn wrote:a Parry flip throw takes an action but is not an attack it is a defense that takes an action

I gotta disagree. A "Parry flip throw" is a defensive action... you're already defending with a circular parry. Since your defense is already focused on a circular parry, your action/attack for the round must be more on the offensive end. Luckily, the body flip/throw CAN be used as an attack!
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
drakinn
Explorer

Unread post by drakinn »

JuliusCreed wrote:
Mantisking wrote:

I gotta disagree. A "Parry flip throw" is a defensive action... you're already defending with a circular parry. Since your defense is already focused on a circular parry, your action/attack for the round must be more on the offensive end. Luckily, the body flip/throw CAN be used as an attack!

you can disagree but the words don't lie. The rules for parry/flip throw when used as a defensive maneuver are spelled out in the book you can use it as a defensive maneuver but it takes an action. As for circular parry it uses specific wording no where does it say it takes four of your attacks or all but one. it says you can perform only one attack. the other actions can be actions they just can't be attacks so that would bee defensive in nature and take an action like dodge, defensive disarm, parry flip throw etc.
Skilled Warriors of old

Tao Te Ching
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

drakinn wrote: As for circular parry it uses specific wording no where does it say it takes four of your attacks or all but one. it says you can perform only one attack. the other actions can be actions they just can't be attacks so that would bee defensive in nature and take an action like dodge, defensive disarm, parry flip throw etc.

So, are you arguing that the wording of the skill description allows someone, who is surrounded by several attackers that are raining down blow after blow on him, should be able to use Circular Parry to defend against each and every strike, then send out the one attack the skill allows, and on top of that be able to perform as many other defensive actions as his hand to hand actions/attacks allow?

If so, then I don't agree. It just sounds like someone's trying to get one over on the game by pointing out "The rules don't specifically say you can't do that." The manuever is a Circular Parry, not a Circular Parry plus Automatic Flip/Automatic Lock/Automatic Dodge/etc.

I see it as you are concentrating almost wholly on Parrying all incoming attacks, but can still send out one punch or kick in the midst of your blocks.

But at the end of the day, it's the GMs call, and if you're the GM, you can run it your way.

Just my 2 cents.
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

So this is a discussion of whether Circular parry actually takes an unspecified number of actions that reduces the number of available actions left to one, or if Circular parry simply makes it so that you can not use more than one action that the player has remaining for attacks.

If the circular parry acts like what is first listed it needs some serious revision because that is way too much of a penalty for the benefit. A character who uses circular parry and has 10 attacks suddenly has to pay with 9 of them to use the move, while someone with only 3 attacks only has to pay with 2? That doesn't sound very sportsman like.

The correct interpretation has to be the second definition, where the user can only use one of his remaining actions for attacking. This means that the player can do other defensive moves that burn actions as long as he still has actions remaining, such as dodging, rolling with impact, break fall, or possibly throwing someone. I'm saying possibly on that last move because throws can be listed all over the place. Also, the classification of throws as a defensive move depends on the style and whether it is being used on a reactionary basis or not.

For example: countering an attack with a body flip/throw is a defensive action. Walking up to someone, saying hi, and then proceeding to self defense them to death with throws is NOT a defense: we call that assault. :D
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
Mantisking
Hero

Colt47 wrote:If the circular parry acts like what is first listed it needs some serious revision because that is way too much of a penalty for the benefit. A character who uses circular parry and has 10 attacks suddenly has to pay with 9 of them to use the move, while someone with only 3 attacks only has to pay with 2? That doesn't sound very sportsman like.

Considering Jump Kicks use all your attacks for the round, it falls in the same boat as that ruling.
Colt47
Champion

Unread post by Colt47 »

Mantisking wrote:
Colt47 wrote:If the circular parry acts like what is first listed it needs some serious revision because that is way too much of a penalty for the benefit. A character who uses circular parry and has 10 attacks suddenly has to pay with 9 of them to use the move, while someone with only 3 attacks only has to pay with 2? That doesn't sound very sportsman like.

Considering Jump Kicks use all your attacks for the round, it falls in the same boat as that ruling.

A lot of revising to do then, isn't there? :lol:

I'd be hesitant to really compare circular parry to a jump kick. Circular parry sounds and acts more like a defensive kata than a specific martial art move. Also, Jump kicks have air time, which starts to go into the whole ordeal of how time is handled during combat.

Time... it's a wibbly wobbly sort of thing. :-?

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Mantisking
Hero

Colt47 wrote:A lot of revising to do then, isn't there? :lol:

Actually, yes.

Colt47 wrote:I'd be hesitant to really compare circular parry to a jump kick.

While in execution they are different, mechanically they are similar though.

Colt47 wrote:Circular parry sounds and acts more like a defensive kata than a specific martial art move.

Yeah, I'd noticed that too.

Colt47 wrote:Also, Jump kicks have air time, which starts to go into the whole ordeal of how time is handled during combat.

True, that's something that needs to be addressed.

Colt47 wrote:Time... it's a wibbly wobbly sort of thing. :-?

Okay, Mr. Tennant. :)
Colt47
Champion

Unread post by Colt47 »

Honestly, sometimes I think the word "Revised" shouldn't be used in a future edition of a publication because you KNOW it's going to be revised again at some point.

So the solution for the Circular Parry seems to be making it a kata instead of a martial art move, which also gives it more room for rules clarification. ;) This is probably the least messy discussion of a problem in the palladium system I've ever seen on this board. Usually they go on for pages!

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”