Crane Stance

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mantisking
Hero

Crane Stance

Unread post by Mantisking »

Thanks to a question on the Q&A board I took a deeper look at Bok Pai and the Crane Stance. In particular, one sentence leapt out at me.
In addition, the crane stance bonus of +2 to strike bonuses count toward Critical Strikes (they don't have to be Natural rolls).

So, at second level using the Crane Fist your looking at a effective Critical Strike target number of 15 (20 - 5 points in bonuses). Never mind what ever P.P. bonuses you might have. At 14th level the TN drops to 11.

Ooooouuuch.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Re: Crane Stance

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

Mantisking wrote:Thanks to a question on the Q&A board I took a deeper look at Bok Pai and the Crane Stance. In particular, one sentence leapt out at me.
In addition, the crane stance bonus of +2 to strike bonuses count toward Critical Strikes (they don't have to be Natural rolls).

So, at second level using the Crane Fist your looking at a effective Critical Strike target number of 15 (20 - 5 points in bonuses). Never mind what ever P.P. bonuses you might have. At 14th level the TN drops to 11.

Ooooouuuch.

Actually, the way I see it, you're still going to need an 18 or better for a Critical Strike, although when you get to 5th level, this increases to 16 or better. The reason being that all the other Strike bonuses you acquire do NOT count toward Critical Strikes. Just the +2 from Crane Stance.
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
Mantisking
Hero

Re: Crane Stance

Unread post by Mantisking »

Mantisking wrote:Thanks to a question on the Q&A board I took a deeper look at Bok Pai and the Crane Stance. In particular, one sentence leapt out at me.

Ooooouuuch.
JuliusCreed wrote:Actually, the way I see it, you're still going to need an 18 or better for a Critical Strike, although when you get to 5th level, this increases to 16 or better. The reason being that all the other Strike bonuses you acquire do NOT count toward Critical Strikes. Just the +2 from Crane Stance.

I disagree. The sentence "They don't have to be Natural rolls." allows you to use bonuses from outside Crane Stance. Besides, Bok Pai only has a total +1 to Strike and a total +4 to Strike w/Crane Fist. So that's a total of +7 to Strike w/Crane Fist at 14th level not counting P.P. bonuses. Zanji Shinjinken Ryu has that at 10th level. It's not a game breaker.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”