New Skill (Karyology)

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mantisking
Hero

New Skill (Karyology)

Unread post by Mantisking »

Karyology: This is the study of whole sets of chromosomes. This skill can be used to study chromosomal aberrations, cellular function, taxonomic relationships, and to gather information about past evolutionary events. Base Skill: 25% + 4% per level of experience.

I know it's a very limited skill, but it could be fun to help expand the role of gizmoteers into more scientific realms of experience.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Re: New Skill (Karyology)

Unread post by Kovoston »

How did you figure the Base Skill? Just curious...
Mantisking
Hero

Kovoston wrote:How did you figure the Base Skill? Just curious...

Guessed. :) I figured it would be a fairly difficult skill that probably wouldn't approach 100% reliability at the highest level, came up with a base number, and then tried to compute the best number to plug in to (X * 15).
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Thought the study of chromosomes was called genetics.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

Good concept for the skill, but I'd probably see it being used in HU or BTS more than N&S. I can't really picture many Gizmoteers dabbling in genetics.
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
Mantisking
Hero

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Thought the study of chromosomes was called genetics.

Genetics is the study of individual genes. Karyology concentrates on sets, so it really should be have Genetics as a pre-requisite.

JuliusCreed wrote:Good concept for the skill, but I'd probably see it being used in HU or BTS more than N&S. I can't really picture many Gizmoteers dabbling in genetics.

Enh. My games tend to be a bit more sci-fi than the regular rules set. Also, I'm trying to expand the base of N&S so you can use it play games based on things like Indiana Jones or maybe some Dan Brown novel. :)
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Unread post by Beatmeclever »

Here are the Genetics-related skills I use in my games:

Genetics: With exhaustive study in the theory of genetics, as well as the use of gene therapy, the character has gained a good understanding of how DNA and RNA function, the basics of bio-technology, and how to analyze and predict the behavior of genes and chromosomes in various living organisms. Given access to a life form’s genetic database (after blood has been scanned and analyzed), characters with the Genetics skill can make predictions about the creature’s anatomy, biology, character, and appearance, as well as whether or not the creature is sterile. Requires: Advanced Mathematics, Chemistry, and Biology. Base Skill: 30% +3% per level of experience.

Genetic Manipulation: Basic: The character has a basic understanding of techniques used in the manipulation and engineering of genetic material, such as cloning and transformation. This skill allows for the creation of genetically specific viruses, Bioart, and genetically modified foods. Required: Genetics skill. Base Skill: 25% +5% per level of experience.

Genetic Manipulation: Recovery: This skill allows the character to take a DNA sample and recreate it. The character can recover partial samples through an intensive process that requires a laboratory. This can be used to determine the identity of a body or to recreate long-extinct creatures. DNA usually does not interact with other segments of DNA, and in human cells the different chromosomes even occupy separate areas in the nucleus called “chromosome territories.”
Recombination allows chromosomes to exchange genetic information and produces new combinations of genes, which increases the efficiency of natural selection and can be important in the rapid evolution of new proteins. Genetic recombination can also be involved in DNA repair, particularly in the cell’s response to double-strand breaks. Required: Genetics skill. Base Skill: 15% +5% per level of experience.

Genetic Manipulation: Transgenics: A transgene is a gene or genetic material that has been transferred naturally or by any of a number of genetic engineering techniques from one organism to another. It can describe any DNA sequence, regardless of whether it contains a gene coding sequence or it has been artificially constructed, which has been introduced into an organism or vector construct in which it was previously not found. The character has an understanding of how to join normally dissimilar genetic structures to create a new organism; this can be bacteria-resistant plants, environmentally-modified animals, or any such manipulation of the sort. Requires: Genetics skill and Genetic Manipulation: Basic. Base Skill: 20% +5% per level of experience.

Hope others can use them too.
"The impossibility of the world lies in the fact that it has no equivalent anywhere;it cannot be exchanged for anything. The uncertainty of thought lies in the fact that it cannot be exchanged either for truth or for reality. Is it thought which tips the world over into uncertainty, or the other way around? This in itself is part of the uncertainty." - J. Baudrillard
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Mantisking wrote:

Genetics is the study of individual genes. Karyology concentrates on sets, so it really should be have Genetics as a pre-requisite.

I don't understand why you can't do this with just the Genetics skill. does it really warrent a different skill? When the hell would you even need to roll it anyway? and why?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Mantisking
Hero

Mantisking wrote:Genetics is the study of individual genes. Karyology concentrates on sets, so it really should be have Genetics as a pre-requisite.
Nekira Sudacne wrote:I don't understand why you can't do this with just the Genetics skill.

As far as I know, there isn't an actual Genetics skill.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:does it really warrent a different skill?

Probably not, but it was an idea and I tossed it out there.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:When the hell would you even need to roll it anyway?

In a science-based game where Genetics was a strong component, say one based on the tv show "Bones"?

Nekira Sudacne wrote:and why?

Because sharing something and getting it peer reviewed can help make it stronger or see if it's not actually needed.
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

Some guys want to see the skill lists continually expanded. Other guys want to see the skill list shortened to a smaller set of more broad skills. I am in the later group. This thread is a good example of both the advantages of both views.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
Mantisking
Hero

Lord Z wrote:Some guys want to see the skill lists continually expanded. Other guys want to see the skill list shortened to a smaller set of more broad skills. I am in the later group. This thread is a good example of both the advantages of both views.

I'm sure that at some point I'd say "Enough's enough!" but at the moment I'd like to see more skills to help expand the range of settings where N&S could be used as the base system. I don't think the Palladium system itself is written tight enough to allow a small, fairly broad skill list -- like say the Buffy or Usagi Yojimbo RPGs. But that is a whole 'nother argument entirely.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Personally i'm endlessly amused by Exalted which trys to cram every possible thing there is to do in 25 skills that cannot be expanded on ever without breaking the game.

No, we still havn't figure out which one covers cooking :)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”