How To: Martial Arts Rules

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Crucible
Champion

How To: Martial Arts Rules

Unread post by Crucible »

How does the two Martial Arts work? Do the bonuses stack?
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

Playing Rifts with your five older children, PRICELESS.

See My New Campaign in story form
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126287
Mantisking
Hero

Re: How To: Martial Arts Rules

Unread post by Mantisking »

Crucible wrote:How does the two Martial Arts work? Do the bonuses stack?

No.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Crucible wrote:How does the two Martial Arts work? Do the bonuses stack?

no the bonuses do not stack.
multiple MAs
you pick which form you are fighting with for the melee you must use this form for the entire melee. You may switch forms at the start of the next melee if you desire.

NOTE: There is some debate about MA powers and whether they must be used with the form in which they were learned or not. (I personally believe that the powers are linked to the form they were trained in and rule it as such when I GM. but YMMV)
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

the bonuses from other MA forms do not stack (there is at least one exception) with each other.
Skills bonuses do stack with MAF.

MA powers can be used in what ever form you are using, they can be used even if you are not fighting.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:the bonuses from other MA forms do not stack (there is at least one exception) with each other.
Skills bonuses do stack with MAF.

MA powers can be used in what ever form you are using, they can be used even if you are not fighting.
As I said... Some debate.
Until I see a book and Pg number supporting it one way or the other it is still a GMs call.
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

I would of agreed whole heartedly if you had said weapon kata's (and most of the specialty Katas) can't be switched between each MAF.

There are a few of the MA powers that are 'always on' (MA awareness & sword drawing), and the body hardening items are sort of hard to limit to just one sort of fighting style.

*Changing stance just a little bit*
It can't be said that All MA powers can or can't be used between each MAF the char has, because not all of them can not be limited to just one MAF.

Arts of Invisibility are skills and once you know them.....
Atemi are skills and once you know them.....
Body Hardening are body modifications
Chi powers are chi skills, while I would agree that the chi combat powers are MAF specific
Martial Art techniques are chi skills
Special Katas are style exclusive with the exception of the warrior's spirit kata
Zenjoriki are chi skills

In other words, if they are combat items they can be classified to be limited to the MAF they were acquired from.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Mephisto wrote:for clarification:

Arts of Invisibility are style exclusive
Atemi are style exclusive
Body Hardening are universal
Chi is universal in acquiring, style exclusive in using
Martial Art techniques are universal
Special Katas are style exclusive
Zenjoriki are style exclusive

book and pg please?
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Mephisto wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Mephisto wrote:for clarification:

Arts of Invisibility are style exclusive
Atemi are style exclusive
Body Hardening are universal
Chi is universal in acquiring, style exclusive in using
Martial Art techniques are universal
Special Katas are style exclusive
Zenjoriki are style exclusive

book and pg please?

Page 114 under MARTIAL ART POWERS it reads:

Available only through specific Martial Art Forms.

Page 117 in italics "Unlike most martial art skills, the bonuses from Body Hardening Exercises can be used with any martial art form."

Page 121 under MARTIAL ART TECHNIQUES "Once learned, any of these skills can be used in conjunction with any martial art form"

Chi Mastery is a bit oddly worded, but I still stand by my original notation. Decipher the original paragraph on page 118:

Everyone has Chi. yes only those character with at least one Chi Mastery skill understand how to use the power of their Chi. Even then, characters must focus their Chi on a particular Chi skill before it can be used. Focusing takes one melee round action, but can be done during combat or at any other time. After the Chi is focused the character can perform that one, particular Chi skill continuously. Switching to another Chi Skill means focusing the Chi once again, and requires another melee action. So you can't do more than one Chi Ability at a time.

Based on that, if you have two styles that provide Chi abilities, such as as Taido and Tai Chi, the Chi pool is available for both styles, along with the three automatic abilities, but if you get Soft Chi with Taido but not Tai Chi, then you can't use Soft Chi while using the Tai Chi style. But if using Body Chi while using the Tai Chi style, and the character changes style, then the characters Chi would still be depleted from the use of Body Chi. The complication would come from using one style of Negative Chi and another of Positive Chi, but that would not be a sensible combination as the character would not only be limited to the Chi abilities based on the charged Chi type, but half of the characters Chi abilities wouldn't even work with the wrongly charged Chi (Fist Gesture wouldn't work while charged with Positive Chi as an example).

Thank you...
I knew there was a Page reference for that interpretation...
(Magic rules I know, MA not as much (page references any way))
Crucible
Champion

If they don't stack, then whats the point?
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Crucible wrote:If they don't stack, then what's the point?

Variety.
Crucible
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Crucible wrote:If they don't stack, then what's the point?

Variety.

LOL!!!

RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

Crucible wrote:If they don't stack, then whats the point?

the point is, fighters can switch their styles up to try to gain a tactical advantage over another fighter. This kind of thing is popular with old kung-fu movies. You know the cliche...
"Ha your shaolin is strong, but not strong enough to defeat my crab style!"
"oh no, he's right but if i switch to my shotokan karate then maybe i can beat him!"

plus, since some powers are tied to certain styles, you won't have access to that power unless you switch to that style. you may have to choose between getting fewer bonuses in order to use that style and getting better bonuses but not.
Crucible
Champion

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:
Crucible wrote:If they don't stack, then whats the point?

the point is, fighters can switch their styles up to try to gain a tactical advantage over another fighter. This kind of thing is popular with old kung-fu movies. You know the cliche...
"Ha your shaolin is strong, but not strong enough to defeat my crab style!"
"oh no, he's right but if i switch to my shotokan karate then maybe i can beat him!"

plus, since some powers are tied to certain styles, you won't have access to that power unless you switch to that style. you may have to choose between getting fewer bonuses in order to use that style and getting better bonuses but not.

sure thing man

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”