Moo Gi Gong and Hwarang Do Question

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

filo_clarke
Adventurer

Re: Moo Gi Gong and Hwarang Do Question

Unread post by filo_clarke »

That's how we've been playing it. A truly broken combo of martial-arts goodness.
Desert Rat
Wanderer

Unread post by Desert Rat »

Well it only works if you are following the rules under the first edition of N&SS. In accordance with the Revised Edition, only a Dedicated Martial Artist can choose two styles....or One Exclusive. Hwarang Do is an Exclusive style, which means under the Revised Edition the combination is not possible.
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

Wraithind wrote:Okay, so me and a friend have a disagreement on how the Moo Gi Gong and Hwarang Do combo works. The books state that when you have both "then all the attacks per melee, bonuses, abilities, and powers of Hwarang-do are used in wielding weapons, weapon proficiences, and weapon katas of Moo Gi Gong. Any martial art powers and abilities from Moo Gi Gong are used with Hwarang-Do." He believes that this means that the bonues to strike, parry, attacks per melee, etc... of both martial arts are blended together into one art. So in his form a level one character would have five attacks per melee without the use of boxing. This to me seems far to powerful and completely destroys any sense of game balance. Is this actually how it works or do just the powers and Weapon Proficiences and stuff blend together?

As I read it, you would use the # of attacks, bonuses, special abilities, and martial arts powers from Hwarang-Do and then add the martial arts powers and special abilities from Moo Gi Gong. So any attacks and bonuses come from Hwarang-Do, but you have access to the combined special abilities and Martial Arts powers from both both styles.

So your 1st level character would have 3 attacks, +2 to Roll with Impact, +2 to Damage, Critical Strike on a N20, Critical Strike with a weapon on a N19-20, and the ability to use any small object as a weapon causing 1D6 damage in Melee or 1D4 damage when thrown.

In addition, he would possess All Ancient W.P. Katas-Paired where applicable (with an additional +1 to Strike Each), and 3 Martial Arts Powers.

As far as level advancement goes, bonuses, powers, and abilities would be gained as normal for each form, but if I'm reading it right, additional attacks for using the forms together are drawn only from Hwarang-Do. So, at 15th level you would have 7 attacks (which is on par with most other forms), not 12.
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »