Non-Asian Martial Styles

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: Non-Asian Martial Styles

Unread post by jaymz »

crazy_monkey1956 wrote:Pardon if this question has been asked before but...

Has there been an official N&SS write-up of Capoeira, Savate, and other non-Asian martial styles?

Official? No but I believe several were written up in the Rifter.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

crazy_monkey1956 wrote:
jaymz wrote:
crazy_monkey1956 wrote:Pardon if this question has been asked before but...

Has there been an official N&SS write-up of Capoeira, Savate, and other non-Asian martial styles?

Official? No but I believe several were written up in the Rifter.

Any idea which issues, perchance?

Well one issue (#7) has Copoeira, pro bosing, jeet kun do, brazilian jujitsu and others like north american kick boxing. I think there is one other issue but not sure which.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

rifters 3 and 7
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

Yes, Savate and Capoeira both appeared in the excellent article 'World Warriors,' Rifter #7. I think that the Issue #3 martial arts were entirely fictional.

Not otherwise mentioned, there is also a short article about a Hawaiian martial art in one of the early Rifters. I don't see it mentioned in the Rifter Index.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Kemp Karate! That is the Hawaiian martial art which I mentioned. Thank you, Mephy.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

I have never heard of it. From the name, it doesn't seem non-Asian.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

There was also a Recent Rifter with PF MAFs in it. I think.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Ninjabunny wrote:Does Chi Kung count? It's the art of cultivating internal Chi. I have a book on it I've been reading.

Chi kung isn't a martial art, it's a set of techniques for cultivating chi.

And how do Hung Gar, Kalaripayit, Kempo, and Bersilat classify as non-Asian?
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Desert Rat
Wanderer

Unread post by Desert Rat »

Chi Kung was listed as a martial arts in Rifters 3 and listed as a physical skill in Rifters 7. Savate was listed in Rifters 7.
Tearstone
Adventurer

Unread post by Tearstone »

Desert Rat wrote:Chi Kung was listed as a martial arts in Rifters 3 and listed as a physical skill in Rifters 7. Savate was listed in Rifters 7.

Except that Chi Kung as listed in Rifter 3 is not the RL martial art. It shares the same name, but is completely different in concept. It was named so before the writer of the article had heard of the actual Chi Kung. The only similarity they share is the name. Do not go there thinking you're getting the internal energy art.

If I quote you, you will get spell-checked.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

frogboy wrote:The Martial arts in Rifter 7 are good but a bit over powered, and the write up on caporia is 100% fiction and PC's will rarely read all the material involved with it to be able to use and understand how that one works. To deal with the power issues, I cut the bonuses in half, and round them down. That keeps the numbers ware I like them. I also use this web site here

http://www.kuseru.com/PMAN/index.htm

Actually they are no more over powered than some of hte MAs in N&SS

\m/
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

frogboy wrote:The Martial arts in Rifter 7 are good but a bit over powered,
jaymz wrote:Actually they are no more over powered than some of hte MAs in N&SS

Actually, from Rifter #7, Kickboxing is below average on Combat Bonuses and average on Combat Moves, Krav Magha is below average on Combat Bonuses, Savate is average on Combat Bonuses, and Pro Boxing is below average on Combat Moves. Everywhere else all the styles from Rifter #7 are above average.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”