Tai-Chi Ch´uan and Push Open Hand

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Finegael
D-Bee

Tai-Chi Ch´uan and Push Open Hand

Unread post by Finegael »

I´m not sure about the special move "push open hand" with Tai-Chi Ch´uan. It says: Any victim failing to counter the attack will be knocked back a number of feet equal to the attacker´s Chi.

1.) In this sentence, who is the attacker? The one who attacks me or I am who is doing the "push open hand"?
2.) This is a very powerful move. If the attacker e. g. has 100 Chi (2 or 3 Chi orientated martial arts and possible modifiers), when the other will be pushed back 100 feet ( about 30 meters). And it´s possible to have much more Chi.

Thanks for comments.
Desert Rat
Wanderer

Re: Tai-Chi Ch´uan and Push Open Hand

Unread post by Desert Rat »

1) The one preforming the "push open hand".

2) Yes, it is a powerful move.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The char with Tai-Chi and using the 'open hand push' is the attacker.

The move is used the push an opponent out of melee attack range. So the opponent have to use up their APM to get back into range. Also, so that there are not multiple attackers, attacking simotaniusly.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Finegael wrote:I´m not sure about the special move "push open hand" with Tai-Chi Ch´uan. It says: Any victim failing to counter the attack will be knocked back a number of feet equal to the attacker´s Chi.

1.) In this sentence, who is the attacker? The one who attacks me or I am who is doing the "push open hand"?

As people have written, the attacker is the one executing the Push Open Hand.

Finegael wrote:2.) This is a very powerful move. If the attacker e. g. has 100 Chi (2 or 3 Chi orientated martial arts and possible modifiers), when the other will be pushed back 100 feet ( about 30 meters). And it´s possible to have much more Chi.

Yup, it's one of my favorite moves.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Mantisking
Hero

Tyciol wrote:It's still rather mysterious in a lot of ways. Such as: at what speed are they being pushed back? Do they fly through the air or sword of skid along the ground, dragging their heels (or maybe on their toes like those witches in The Craft).

Like, if I used this and there was a wall behind the person, do they just gently stop against the wall, or slam into it? Especially a spiked wall!

Or like, presumably this is a totally horizantal move so you couldn't hit on top of someone to bash them into the ground or make them go flying into the air, but what about inclines and stuff? Can you push someone 100ft uphill? Or if you hit someone going downhill would they go further or need to save vs balance?

I'd say the force and speed of the push would depend on how much Chi the person using the Push Open Hand has. A little chi equals a slow, gentle push while a lot of chi is a hard, fast push.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Sir Blayse
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Sir Blayse »

I've always pictured it being like a force push or like TK push. The victim would be thrown back in the air, not high off the ground, but not touching the ground until the end of the distance. It would really interesting for those rooftop battles or places where the battle could have interesting results.
I ride for the poor, the sick, the ignorant, and the downtrodden. I fight for good and for the justice of those in need... And I will die with knowledge that I have done all I can and have no regrets!-Sir Blayse
Mantisking
Hero

macksting wrote:I'll grant that this move should almost certainly be useful on rooftops, near ravines, or in other circumstances where you can add gravity as a serious consideration to the mix; also probably useful for tossing people into other rooms.

Don't forget pushing people into traffic!
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

I would say that it would depend on the angle of the strike in question. This would aldo take into consideration the height difference of those fighting.

As for the possable Knock back damage(I.E. Being slammed into a wall etc...) Id say no more than 2d6 depending on what they were knocked back into. The Last fight of "Enter the Dragon" comes to mind. In which case the weapon damage is added to the knock back damage.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”