Board index » SDC Worlds » Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:37 pm

Explorer

I've been meaning to share this for awhile, and I keep forgetting.

No OCC in N&SS can take RPG Design, the Technical skill. (Mystic China OCCs can get this, so that's no fun.) It's +1 to PE and could be a good work-your-own-hours job. But it's not listed as a Secondary skill and no skill program that allows characters to pick a Technical skill. Am I missing anything?

(Yes, I'm aware it's probably Erick's joke.)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:43 pm

Monk

I think you hit on the only one (that does not have prerequisites) that is ….difficult to acquire.

Mostly I write out exactly what I mean, then sometimes get even more finicky.

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:33 pm

Palladin

Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.
thorr-kan wrote:
I've been meaning to share this for awhile, and I keep forgetting.

No OCC in N&SS can take RPG Design, the Technical skill. (Mystic China OCCs can get this, so that's no fun.) It's +1 to PE and could be a good work-your-own-hours job. But it's not listed as a Secondary skill and no skill program that allows characters to pick a Technical skill. Am I missing anything?

(Yes, I'm aware it's probably Erick's joke.)

As I recall they came right out and SAID that it was a joke at some point.
I can't recall where (I want to say the open house but I can't swear to it)

Yes, eventually it was made available when Mystic China came out.
And sure if your a Megaversalist its easy since you just treat N&SS as a source book for the other games.

But mainly its just a tongue in cheek joke poking fun at the RPG industry.

It's RIFTS Earth; the impossible happens before breakfast, twice on Tuesdays. And if it hasn't, then the GM hasn't tried hard enough and the players are lazy. :D -DhAkael

Knowledge is Power, Power Corrupts, Study Hard

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:56 pm

Champion

I think a Mystic China OCC could take it multiple times to get a higher PE bonus.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:12 am

Monk

Unless a skill says it can be taken multiple times it can only be taken once.

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:28 am

Champion

I imagine there is probably a rule like that in Rifts, but is that stated somewhere in N&SS? =)

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:47 am

Monk

The only texts in the modern canon I know of that lets a char take a skill a 2nd time are the cooking and language/lit skills. For different styles of cooking and different languages.

I do believe that in N&S (still in a contemporary to HU ed1), if cooking is taken as a secondary skill the char is allowed to take the skill again to raise it to professional level cooking.

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:45 pm

Palladin

Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
The only texts in the modern canon I know of that lets a char take a skill a 2nd time are the cooking and language/lit skills. For different styles of cooking and different languages.

I do believe that in N&S (still in a contemporary to HU ed1), if cooking is taken as a secondary skill the char is allowed to take the skill again to raise it to professional level cooking.

*possibly ends the world by coming in on the side of drewkitty*

You can take art multiple times for different art skills, play musical instrument for different instruments, and Robot Combat Elite. Or well... any skill that has specializations really.

HOWEVER even in these instances your not really taking the same skill multiple times. What is happening is you are taking Language (Latin) and Language (Finnish) or Cooking (Thai) and Cooking (Tex-Mex) or Art (oil painting) and Art (ice sculpture) or Play Musical Instrument (Bagpipes) and Play Musical Instrument (Viola) or RCE (Warmonger) and RCE (Ulti-Max). In each case the qualifier in the parentheses makes the two skills actually be two different skills.

Also I am with Drew, the only skills that I know of that can be taken twice are certain domestic skills that can be taken two times to be of professional quality ant that only in some systems because not all the systems even allow that.

It's RIFTS Earth; the impossible happens before breakfast, twice on Tuesdays. And if it hasn't, then the GM hasn't tried hard enough and the players are lazy. :D -DhAkael

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:42 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

I feel compelled to mention that in the PFRPG book Mysteries of Magic 1 there is a ruleset (albeit optional) to take skills, most any skill, more than once, up to 5x or 6x if I recall.
I have had GMs use this rule outside PFRPG when there became an issue of duplicate skills being provided, and a swap of the duplicate was requested.

It isn't a N&SS rule, but it is out there.

Huntmaster

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:07 am

Monk

13eowulf wrote:
I feel compelled to mention that in the PFRPG book Mysteries of Magic 1 there is a ruleset (albeit optional) to take skills, most any skill, more than once, up to 5x or 6x if I recall.
I have had GMs use this rule outside PFRPG when there became an issue of duplicate skills being provided, and a swap of the duplicate was requested.

Pages 78&79
It is presented as optional.
The limits are....only one skill total, and % based skills are limited to a total of five times, and no h2h skills can be selected for this. I will leave the other details as an incentive to buy MoM1. :P
------
The only time, as an additional house rule, I would let a char have multiples of the same skill (+1 level each) is when multiple skill programs give the same skill. Which when making an agent of some sort from this setting could mean starting with WP Pistol @ L5. ;)

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:34 pm

Palladin

13eowulf wrote:

If we go outside the rules set its clear that you CAN'T take the same skill more than once with out a special exception to the rules.
This is because of this
RUE Page 229 wrote:
"Weapon Proficiencies (W.P.s), Piloting and most other skills can NOT be selected more than once to improve the quality of the skill or to get extra bonuses. Not every skill may be more than once (in fact, most of them may only be taken one time). Only the Domestic and Technical skill categories (And the occasional other skill that states as such) can be taken twice. Taking the skill a second time does not increase the Base Skill proficiency/Skill percentage unless otherwise noted, but raises the overall quality to a slick, professional level of presentation.

This I would say pretty clearly shows the intent of the system. Especially since the Domestic/Technical thing has been the only skills ever mentioned as being able to be taken twice ever before. Thus this seems to be pretty clear evidence that yes indeed, the intent was just to allow those two skill types, and only those two skill types, to be taken twice to upgrade to professional status.