Battle for Grozny

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

slade the sniper
Hero

Battle for Grozny

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone will be interested, but I found this translation of a Russian officers tour of duty in Grozny, Chechnya. It is a fairly poor translation, granted...but since I have been unable to really find many historical "eyewitness" accounts of Russian combat actions in the recent past, this will do.

It has a lot of pretty good urban and mounted combat TTPs that can be distilled out, a lot of gallows humor, standard soldier life in combat, and some pretty brutally graphic descriptions of combat and the aftermath...and I do not use the phrase brutally graphic lightly.

Can't speak to it's veracity, but it has the ring of truth to it.

Anyway, if you want to see what urban combat looks like sans the sheen of political correctness...

http://www.lib.ru/MEMUARY/CHECHNYA/chechen_war.txt

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Re: Battle for Grozny

Unread post by Jefffar »

Seems reasonably plausible.

I remember some official studies of what happened to armour in Grozny . . . Point blank RPG shots into side and rear armour from rooftops and sewers. Overmatch (even an Abrams or Mrkava would have been penetrated at those angles) combined with the rather volitile internal ammunition arrangements of T-72s and T-80s caused horrific infernos.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”