Basic equipment for a soldier

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Blindscout
Adventurer
Comment: An armed populace is a safe populace.

Re: Basic equipment for a soldier

Unread post by Blindscout »

Otselotovaya wrote:My teammates and I are working on a RECON campaign, where the characters are loosely based on Marvel's Howling Commandos. Essentially, a ragtag eight-man Marine LRRP unit. We've figured out the weapons that each character carries; however, when it comes to non-weapon gear, I'm having trouble figuring out what to carry.

For instance, my character (based on "Rebel" Ralston) is a Point/Grenadier. Here are the weapons I selected:

* Shotgun, with a 40-round bandolier
* 2 smoke grenades
* 2 fragmentation grenades
* Browning 9mm pistol, with 2 clips
* Throwing knife

With the other gear, however, I'm a bit stumped. Should it be different equipment per game session (depending on the squad's mission), or remain fairly consistent? Plus, what SHOULD a point man carry at all times? I know with Rifts, they offer "starter kits" for the various OCCs, but not with this game.

A compass and a map
Guy_LeDouche wrote:Any experiment of any kind that starts with "hold my beer" should make the property owner immune to frivolous lawsuits.

Mack wrote:Oh, and if the POTUS evey gave me a nuke, I think I'd aim it at Bieber.

_/|,[____],
--...-L-[]IIII[]-
.^._.^.-===-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)

BEEP BEEP Let's go for a ride in the Jeep!
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Something to eat. Eye protection. First Aid kit. Drinking water.

Try googling for the contents of our soldier's packs during the Korean or Vietnam war. It's probably out there somewhere.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

There's also an example within the RPG itself.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
tmikesecrist3
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tmikesecrist3 »

A watch. Water purification tablets, If your in south east Asia Insect repellent,

Some one should Aways have a Back pack radio,

And colored smoke canisters to signal for air support
"Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred."
The charge of the light Brigade, By Alfred, Lord Tennyson
robertbc73

Unread post by robertbc73 »

If you can find a copy of Rifts Mercenaries, the NG-S2 Survival pack might be what you just need.
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

robertbc73 wrote:If you can find a copy of Rifts Mercenaries, the NG-S2 Survival pack might be what you just need.

GOGO NG-S2!
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

SittingBull wrote:
robertbc73 wrote:If you can find a copy of Rifts Mercenaries, the NG-S2 Survival pack might be what you just need.

GOGO NG-S2!

I know this is old, but forgive me for bringing to life again.

Wet weather bag
Socks (at least a couple pair)
LRRP will also carry
Spare boots
Spare uniforms
Poncho liner (replace blanket with this)
Sleeping bag

At a minimum......
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Otselotovaya wrote:I meant to post this a couple of weeks ago, but my computer's been trying to commit suicide for a while.

I spoke with one friend, and he came up with an interesting suggestion: Rather than write up a specific list of items that are carried (other than weapons, that is), treat the use of equipment like you'd do a Weapon Check. If an item is needed (say, an entrenching tool), have the squad do an Equipment Check. If it succeeds, alrighty then!

Brilliant! I love rules that help you not get bogged down in the details.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

I would also suggest reading the memoirs of those who served in a unit that fought in the time period and region the game is set in. Some of the equipment lists are very helpful.

If you are going Marine Recon I suggest the book

Inside Force Recon

or some of the Osprey titles.

Marine recon 1940 -90

they have a lot more titles that will give you a layman's idea of what was used.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”