[Fanbook] A few random thoughts, and the Great Plains War

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Fubarius
Explorer

[Fanbook] A few random thoughts, and the Great Plains War

Unread post by Fubarius »

So at work the other day (I have a George Jetson job, I turn a machine on, I turn it off, I repeat, so I have plenty of time to think) I was pondering the Tribes of the Free Cattle. Their history, their differances between tribes, and so on. I came up with a few ideas that need fleshing out.

The Wolf Tribes, and the Free Indian Tribes. So we all know about the Wolf Tribes, groups of mutant wolves that align themselves to a pre-crash indian tribe (AtB2, pg 94). They list 26 tribes and "other", so lets just round up and say there are 30 since I like nice round numbers. However, one of the two known Free Cattle characters listed , One-Year (AtB2, pg 204) has obvious Native American cultural traits. Now he obviously isn't part of a wolf tribe, so there must be 'other' native american based tribes in the PotFC. I say that these tribes were once part of the 30 Wolf Tribes. The tribes once were a collection of a different animal types, wolf, horse, buffalo, deer, fox, coyote, etc all living together in whatever tribe's customs felt 'right' to them. But then there was a split, with the carnivore members going one way, and the herbivore members going another.

Now the Wolf tribes (the carnivores) would remain small (no more than a few thousand members or so at the most, some as few as 100), keeping with standard carnivore mentality. They would consider themselves the 'true' tribes, since any pre-crash humans would probably stick with them since we like steak and hamburgers as much as the wolves do, and you can assume the split was started by the anti-human preaching of Weschek. Not a big leap from "hate the humans, they want to turn you into meat", to "hate the carnivores, they want to turn you into meat".

The herbivore tribes would start to group together into much larger tribes (10's of thousands of members), keeping with the herding mentality, and aliging themselves with the great Plains tribes; Sioux, Cheyenne, Crow, Blackfeet, Comanche, and Pawnee (there were others, but 6 sounds like a good number). These would be major powers in the PotFC, with each having their own territory. I don't seem them being overly nomadic, but staying in their perspective territories. We'll get to the true Nomads later.

The wolf tribes that were in the plains (not all were, many were of course based no where near the plains) would have been driven out and would have smaller territories scattered around the edges of the plains. They would occasional clash with the Plains tribes, especially with those of the same Native American type (Wolf Sioux and Plains Sioux arguing over who are the True Sioux tribe). Or possibly live in an unsteady peace, occasionally getting together for pow-wows and to trade. Haven't decided on that yet.

No this great split was part of a much larger conflict started by the preachings of Weschek. I call it the Great Plains War. Lets have it take place 20-40 years ago. Recent enough for veterans to remember, but long enough for the younger generations to only hear about it. Have the more pessimistic call it the First Plains War, just to give the hint of a second one starting to brew.

Now this war was between more than the Indian tribes, but between all the groups inside of the plains region. I found a good picture illustrating the area of the great plains...
It will need some major tweeking, but it's a good start. We'll push some of it east to catch up with Cardinia, push the southern boarder up to make room for La Segunda Pregunta, and so on. Anywho, back to the point, the war was between the Carns (carnivores, humans, and any omnivores and scavangers that sided with them), and the Herbs (herbavores, and the few omnivores and scavangers that they would tolerate). Cities were sacked, nomadic groups were split, fledgling nations were destroyed, refugees fled, all the standard Great War stuff you'd expect. In the end the Herbs were victorious and the Carns were driven out, and the Free Cattle were founded. The Free Cattle being a loose organization of nomadic tribes, independant territories, and a few small city states, all being perdominantly herbavorious (man, that word is a mouthful), most being herd based animals. Once a year they send representatives to one of the larger city states. Many smaller nomadic groups bring the whole tribe. There, with Weschek presiding as council cheif, they discuss the preceeding year, and plan the next year. Mostly they argue amongest themselves for a week. Treties are made between different groups, disputes are settled, and major criminal trials are held (the big ones like murder, rape, and the ever popular "Crimes against the Free Cattle"). Spiratual and philosophical arguements, er, I mean discussions are common at these gatherings, with the most common one being "Can non-sentient animals be part of your tribe, and if so can you have them pull a wagon to help contribute?" The most argued answers are "No, that's too close to slavery", and "Yes, they're a contributing part of the tribe". The arguement of "No they're not part of the tribe so you can use them to pull a wagon" was dismissed back durring the Great Plains War as akin to slavery.

I have some interesting ideas for different nomadic tribes, but I'll save that for tomorrow.
David Johnson
aka Fubarius
Fubarius
Explorer

Mephisto wrote:This topic has sort of been discussed here: http://www.palladium-megaverse.com/foru ... hp?t=77605 but I'll comment on what you have to offer.

I still think the Free Cattle wouldn't have any carnivores in the herds, because they are naturally a threat, and they can't ever really be trusted. Placated maybe, trusted no.

That's kind of what I was going for, but I doubt they would have left quietly. At some point they'd have to be driven out of the plains region.
An epic war in the recent history would suffice. It would also account for the aliance of all the assorted tribes and nomadic groups. With out some unifying event they'd be quite happy to keep to themselves.

Mephisto wrote: The Wolf Tribes would be homogenous, I wouldn't say they were all noble and honorable, but they wouldn't all be cutthroat scum either. I think it would take a lot of discussion about other factors and groups to see each herds overall mentality. Certainly the ones that are at conflict with the Prairie Dog Emporium would be a lot edgier and more likely to be aggressive than some of the central herds that wouldn't encounter a lot of outward aggression. I also agree that the Wolf Tribes would be small, and there would be a constant flux of young wolves leaving to go on Vision Quests, so the balance wouldn't be too much of an issue.

As for the Great Plains War, it's possible, but with the herds moving so much ("loosely organized tribes of nomadic herds" ATB2 pg. 182) and the land to be largely unpopulated (except in some areas; I think Wisconsin, Minnesota and Pennsylvania would be heavily populated because of the large number of Holsteins) so something like that would be unlikely.

You're getting outside the plains area there. Just because there are cows there doesn't mean it's part of the PotFC. Kind of like how not all wolves are part of the wolf tribes, like the wolf barbarians north of the EoH. I always figured the whole great lakes area to be a bit more civilized anyways. Villages, permanent farms, etc. that want nothing to do with the savages and wanderers on the plains.

Mephisto wrote:However, I can see two conflicts brewing for the Free Cattle: battle with the Empire of Humanity and another with the fantatical Prairie Dog Emporium. Most of the herds movements would overlap, but they would have traditional moving patterns and would follow the seasons, but other beings, such as bears, foxes, coyotes and similar solitary animals would be encountered often.

That's upcoming conflicts. I see that as an area of conflict within the Free Cattle themselves. Weschek and his more devoted followers demanding that they unite to take on the human kindom to the east, while the southern tribes argue that they should deal with the Prairie Dog threat right in their backyard. Meanwhile the northern tribes argue that they've already driven the carnivores out of the plains and that they should be happy with what they have. Plus war makes strange bedfellows, if the Free Cattle decide to take on both we could end up with a temporary (and very tenuous) Prairie Dog and Human alliance. Infact with the Free Cattle going on the warpath, we could see many former enemies becomeing temporary allies. It's a long march to the EoH, and Cardania with it's inter mixed population could be targeted for 'cleansing' of it's carnivorus population. Fourth World War anyone?
David Johnson
aka Fubarius
Fubarius
Explorer

Mephisto wrote:I never said they would have to leave, just be placated. That's why I think the herds would produce "slave stock" of deer and sheep to keep the more powerful and capable buffalo, cow and horse breeds on top. The carnivores just wouldn't be considered part of the "herds" because ultimately they feed on them, so they couldn't belong. But that is just my take on it.

I dissagree on the 'slave stock' idea completely. Seems to go against the whole notion of a 'free' society, even one as loosely held together as the FC. And I doubt a large canivorous population would allow themselves to be placiated, there would be resistance.

Mephisto wrote:
I agree with you to some extent, but the Free Cattle empire is huge!!! It covers most of the interior of the US, although being such a loose-knit organization, there is a lot of room for others to operate in, not to mention a lot of the cities are very dangerous (such as St Louis, Lincoln, and Denver) so the conflict in some of the large expanses in the central interior are unlikely.

We seem to be at a dissagreement on to the actual size of the Free Cattle area (and I wouldn't exactly call it an empire quite yet). I'm starting work on a full north american map and here's my impression of the extent of the Free Cattle area (If I can get the picture to work)...

http://members.aol.com/fubarius/freecattle/PotFCmap.JPG

The area stretching to the east I envisioned as Weschek making a bit of an expansionist run durring the Great Plains War. Overall the area is still considerably larger than any exisiting north american territory, but still leaves room for other interesting kindoms and territories.

Mephisto wrote:I think the telling tale in regards to the two conflicts is that really, none of them occur in Holstein territory. How the Holstein's deal with any possible conflicts would really turn the tables, because they are regarded as the most advanced and educated bovines in the Free Cattle. Pitts (my variation of Pittsburg) is the most likely place to get the Holstein's involved, but with the recent upgrades to the EoH technology even that may not be enough to sway the humans in the march to eradicate all enemies.

I deffinatly wouldn't consider the Holstein population to be part of the FC. Too civilized, to human like in behavior, cities too large. I might be tempted to have some of the Holstein purebreed as part of the FC, but they'd be a bit different from their citie living, factory building eastern counterparts. More nomadic, traveling the old highways rebuilding bridges and tunnels. But I'll save that for my "nomads of the free cattle" post I'm making later.
David Johnson
aka Fubarius
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

a few thoughts.

1.) the plains of free cattle would not exclusively include nomadic groups. you can bet a lot of small towns and farms are included. maybe even a few 'cities'. these towns and cities might have policies diverging from the nomadic herds. (accepting carnivores, for example, having more interaction with outsiders, maybe even using domesticated giant bugs for livestock.)

2.) the free cattle is less of a goverment than it is a society. a collective identity, not a regime. the different groups work together to common goals, but would often have differing ideas about how to acheive such. each group would have its own identity, culture, beleifs, and traditions. coordination by diplomatic discussion is a way to ensure minimal friction and prevent conflict between groups.

cattle just have the biggest say because in a democratic society, the group with the biggest numbers has the advantage. and the # of cattle outnumbers horses, deer, bison, ect. so cattle tend to dominate discussions invloving multiple groups. (the cattle may also have been the developers of the collective society thing, too. explaining the name)

3.) with the different groups of free cattle being either nomadic or far apart in small communities, the small packs of the wolf tribes could easily still live on the plains, 'alongside' the free cattle groups.

the war is merely the same natural struggle between predator and prey that was present before the crash. just now, both sides have intellegence and culture. wolves must hunt to survive. those they hunt see it as murder. so conflict is common, as wolves pick off the weak and the sick, and the herds try to protect their members.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Fubarius
Explorer

Mephisto wrote:so all of these herbivores are going to to placate themselves against these carnivores, without a health care system? How would the Cattle be Free if they didn't employ such stock?

I'm not exactly sure how "slave stock" equates to "health care system". Heck, they're nomads. Their health care system is the 2-5% of the population with Healer apprenticship, with the occasional trip to the few stable cities in the plains for more serious health problems.

Mephisto wrote:If you read my other quotes and messages I never said they dominated these areas, merely that they considered them part of the Plains of Free Cattle. They are extremely nomadic and as such, don't often find a reason to conflict about land.

Why wouldn't the Holstein's be part of the Free Cattle? They are cattle and integral parts of it. It would be foolish to think that they wouldn't be part of it but I agree that they wouldn't be as nomad-like as the others, I just think you like to think of primal groups in areas, and the nomadic nature of the Free Cattle throws things in a loop for you because you can't handle the nomadic nature of the plains.

Oh, I'm pretty much assuming the more fanatical Free Cattle claim the entire north american continent as their domain. I'm more concerned about what they ACTUALLY control. I picture Weschek or his followers marching into a Holstein town, preaching hatred of the humans, and the local population just smiling and nodding until the crazy plains folk wander away and they can get back to business as usual. True, they could be conviced to temporarily ally with the Free Cattle under the right situation, but would neither want nor need to become full members. Of course we should clarify "which" Holstein area we're talking about. In AtB2 they describe large Holstein comunities in New York (state of course), Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. There's a lot of distance between New York/Pennsylvania and Wisconsin/Minnesota, nearly 600 miles. Enough for there literally to be two separate Holstein nations. And only Minnesota can even be considered part of the great plains region (I've lived in Wisconsin nearly my whole life, trust me on this).

When I picture the "Plains" of the Free Cattle I literally picture the plains. I've been to lots of places in this country, and believe me, a lot of it isn't "plains". It's not the "Midwest" of the Free Cattle, not the "Ohio River Valley" of the Free Cattle, not the "Southwest" of the Free Cattle, and most certainly not the "United States" of the Free Cattle. If they're going to call it the "Plains", it better damn well be in the Plains. And trust me, the great plains are big enough for plenty of nomadic tribes. I've been there. I've stood on a hill and looked at open grassland spreading out in every direction for a hundred of miles with out a tree in sight. Make the drive from Wisconsin to Colorado sometime, you'll really get the impression of how big this country really is then.
Last edited by Fubarius on Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Johnson
aka Fubarius
Fubarius
Explorer

glitterboy2098 wrote:a few thoughts.

1.) the plains of free cattle would not exclusively include nomadic groups. you can bet a lot of small towns and farms are included. maybe even a few 'cities'. these towns and cities might have policies diverging from the nomadic herds. (accepting carnivores, for example, having more interaction with outsiders, maybe even using domesticated giant bugs for livestock.)

I agree. I also like the bug livestock. Hmmm, Nomadic Beetle Herders has some potential.

glitterboy2098 wrote:2.) the free cattle is less of a goverment than it is a society. a collective identity, not a regime. the different groups work together to common goals, but would often have differing ideas about how to acheive such. each group would have its own identity, culture, beleifs, and traditions. coordination by diplomatic discussion is a way to ensure minimal friction and prevent conflict between groups.

Again totally agree. I figure a yearly meeting, with occasional emergency sessions, would suffice to hold things together until a major conflict where more unity would be required. Day to day interactions would be handled in the local level between the involved groups, with a third party called in to settle minor dissagreements (wandering judges maybe?)

glitterboy2098 wrote:cattle just have the biggest say because in a democratic society, the group with the biggest numbers has the advantage. and the # of cattle outnumbers horses, deer, bison, ect. so cattle tend to dominate discussions invloving multiple groups. (the cattle may also have been the developers of the collective society thing, too. explaining the name)

3.) with the different groups of free cattle being either nomadic or far apart in small communities, the small packs of the wolf tribes could easily still live on the plains, 'alongside' the free cattle groups.

I can compromise a bit on this one. Still part of the 'plains' region, but pushed out to the edges. Not like they'd take up much space anyways, but they wouldn't be able to claim large areas and wild herds as their rightful hunting grounds as they would like to.

glitterboy2098 wrote:the war is merely the same natural struggle between predator and prey that was present before the crash. just now, both sides have intellegence and culture. wolves must hunt to survive. those they hunt see it as murder. so conflict is common, as wolves pick off the weak and the sick, and the herds try to protect their members.

This brings us back to one of the big philosophical discussions of After the Bomb. When you're a mutant Buffalo, are the wild herds of non-sentient buffalo your brethern? Or are they just dumb animals? You can't fault your Wolf neighbor for killing just an animal to survive, but when he has to kill your 'brother', then there's a conflict.
David Johnson
aka Fubarius
Fubarius
Explorer

Mephisto wrote:OK Fubarius you've taken a lot of time to explain what you disagree with me regarding the Plains of Free Cattle, is there anything you do agree with me about?

Oh, I've changed plenty of my original assumptions. Bringing in input from you and other posters and modifying my ideas. The herbavore/carnivore dynamic wasn't originally a concern for me for example.

The problem is that I think we're both working off of some very different assumptions. Heck, all we have for official information is a few paragraphs and 2 NPC's. Everything else we're pretty much guessing on. You assume that the Plains of the Free Cattle extend all the way to upper New York since there are Holsteins there (as established by a single line in the book), and since they're cattle they're part of the Free Cattle. I assume the Plains of the Free Cattle is primarily in the Plains, and since upper New Your is no where near the plains then the Holsteins are not part of the Free Cattle.

You seem to assume that the Wolf Tribes and other mutant carnivores primary diet is other mutants. I assume their primary prey is non-mutants. I'm curious about your thoughts on the ratio of mutant to non-mutant animal populations? I usually go with around 97% non-mutant to 3% mutant ratio (AtB2, pg 164, paragraph 3). There may be 10's of thousands of mutant nomads wandering the plains, but I picture herds of MILLIONS of non-mutant animals. Remember that before the white man came there were an estimated 60 million buffalo wandering the plains. I feel the grazing animal population is near that level again, with various species of cattle taking the place of the buffalo, though the buffalo would have large stable herds as well.

This is why I wanted to start this project. To get all the assumptions in the open, sort them out, pick the best ones, and get some agreement.
David Johnson
aka Fubarius
Fubarius
Explorer

Mephisto wrote:I am working under the understanding that [/i]all[i] animals have some degree of mutation, that is why they all have the option to gain BIO-E, human looks, animal psionics, whatnot. That paragraph you quote is kind of misleading, because we don't know how significant the offspring mutation was, but if all offspring was mutated, then all current animals would have some degree of mutation. That is the premise I work under anyways.

Oh, I don't doubt that most were infected in some way, but I serously doubt the majority developed human intelligence. Heck, check the Wilderness Encounter Table. They list non-sentient non-mutant, non-sentient psionic, non-sentient with Looks: Full (always found the idea of Man'imals to be rather trippy), and even Partially-Sentient. (Pg 186).
David Johnson
aka Fubarius
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Mephisto wrote:I am working under the understanding that all animals have some degree of mutation, that is why they all have the option to gain BIO-E, human looks, animal psionics, whatnot. That paragraph you quote is kind of misleading, because we don't know how significant the offspring mutation was, but if all offspring was mutated, then all current animals would have some degree of mutation. That is the premise I work under anyways.

ah, i see your misunderstanding. we are referring to 'only a few' as in "out of two million rats, only 20,000 mutated" and not "out of all the species in the world"

nearly every species in the world had members get infected. of the infected species, only a small percentage developed mutations like intelligence. a larger percentage would have mutated into forms without intelligence. the majority of infected animals and humans just died.

so nearly every species in the world has mutants in their populations. but only about 3% of a species population is mutants, the rest are primarily the same as the unmutated ancestors. of course, thats an average. some species might have more than 3% of the population be mutants, others less.

so in short, every species on the planet has mutants, but not every animal is a mutant.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Fubarius
Explorer

glitterboy2098 wrote:nearly every species in the world had members get infected. of the infected species, only a small percentage developed mutations like intelligence. a larger percentage would have mutated into forms without intelligence. the majority of infected animals and humans just died.

I rather enjoy the posibilites of the non-intelligent mutants. Squirrels with Mind Trap really brings a smile to my face :D...

GM: You see a cute little squirrel in a tree.
Player: I take a few steps closer to it.
GM: Roll a D20
Player (rolling): uh, I got a 8, is that bad?
GM (check players ME): Oh, nothing to worry about. Now that 20ft diameter acorn falling out of the sky above you might be something to worry about...

glitterboy2098 wrote:so nearly every species in the world has mutants in their populations. but only about 3% of a species population is mutants, the rest are primarily the same as the unmutated ancestors. of course, thats an average. some species might have more than 3% of the population be mutants, others less.

so in short, every species on the planet has mutants, but not every animal is a mutant.

Exactly. With out plain old ordinary animals the game seems a bit too Warner Brothers, a bit too Furry, if you know what I mean. Plus it makes Animal Speach, and Animal Control rather useless.
David Johnson
aka Fubarius
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

we ought to make a 'random mutation' table to reflect normal animals that mutated, but not into human like forms. human DNA has a lot of 'junk' genomes, bits of code that do next to nothing. if the right genomes get grafted into the cells of the animal, you get human traits. if these junk genomes get added...wild card mutations.

perhaps we can alter the table from TDTMNT about the unknown and odd traits prehistoric animals have. maybe add a few too. like being absurdly large, or extra limbs, ect. not just wierd colors and skin.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Unread post by Guest »

glitterboy2098 wrote:we ought to make a 'random mutation' table to reflect normal animals that mutated, but not into human like forms. human DNA has a lot of 'junk' genomes, bits of code that do next to nothing. if the right genomes get grafted into the cells of the animal, you get human traits. if these junk genomes get added...wild card mutations.

perhaps we can alter the table from TDTMNT about the unknown and odd traits prehistoric animals have. maybe add a few too. like being absurdly large, or extra limbs, ect. not just wierd colors and skin.
There's quite a lot of those tables around, Mutants in Orbit has one, the Gigantes and Gigantes Warlord also come to mind, as do the Oni from Rifts Japan.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

the mutants in orbit one is just a bit too "space oriented" to use as is for this, but it would be a good source of mutations.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Unread post by Guest »

glitterboy2098 wrote:the mutants in orbit one is just a bit too "space oriented" to use as is for this, but it would be a good source of mutations.
I wasn't talking about the random mutation table, but the unusual characteristic table.
Fubarius
Explorer

Oh, we can make one better. Those were all made before the idea of vestigial disadvantages came out. So now we can have things like:

Extra legs, beneficial. The animal grows an extra set of legs that aid in running, increase speed by 25% (or 2d6, or plus 5, whatever).

Extra legs, vestigial. The animal grows an extra set of legs on some random part of the body. The legs are non-functional, but don't seem to hinder the animal in any way.

Extra legs, hinderance. The animal grows an non-fuctional set of legs near one of it's normal sets of legs or in some other inconvenient area. These tend to cause the animal to trip whenever it tries to run, or restricts movement in some other way. Reduce speed by 25% (or -5, or reduce to 1d6, whatever). Surgery to remove the extra legs by someone with the Veterinary Medicine skill or Internal Medicine skill will remove the penalties.

We should start a new thread for these though, just to keep things on topic.

Oh, and to clarify some of my earlier posts. When I refer to non-mutant animals, I'm generally reffering to non-sentient animals. If most non-sentient animal populations developed some wierd random mutation (for example, all the non-sentient rabbits in the Ohio River Valley area have 4 ears), I'd have no problem with that.

I have some short stories I've been working on the help better explain a few of my ideas, such as the Great Plains War. I should have some done by this weekend.
David Johnson
aka Fubarius
gordyzx9r
Hero

Re: [Fanbook] A few random thoughts, and the Great Plains War

Unread post by gordyzx9r »

Why do you think carnivore's would eat the other mutant animals? I'm pretty sure AtB2 hinted in it's own unique way that this isn't done.
"Select the facts and you manipulate the truth!" - Calvin & Hobbes
Todd Yoho
Adventurer

Unread post by Todd Yoho »

gordyzx9r wrote:Why do you think carnivore's would eat the other mutant animals? I'm pretty sure AtB2 hinted in it's own unique way that this isn't done.

Have you read the section on Alignment in ATB2? Specifically the notes about cannibalism? :?:
Insert 400 character limit here.
gordyzx9r
Hero

Todd Yoho wrote:
gordyzx9r wrote:Why do you think carnivore's would eat the other mutant animals? I'm pretty sure AtB2 hinted in it's own unique way that this isn't done.

Have you read the section on Alignment in ATB2? Specifically the notes about cannibalism? :?:

Yes I have...and it's pretty clear it's not the norm for you average everyday mutant animal as it's found in the evil alignments (and even some of the evil/selfish alignments find it revolting). So, unless these are nomadic tribes of diabolically evil mutant animals then I don't see it happening.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

the same can be said for humanity, and yet ritualistic cannibalism is and was a common cultural element in non-western societies.

and it's a common act by most predatory animal species. few of which would fall under "evil alignments" in their normal states.
(as much as alignment can apply to non-sentient entities anyway)

and its not uncommon for people in desperate situations or suffering from insanity to consume other people, no matter how nice or polite they are normally.

generally, Exocannibalism, eating members from outside your own community, was typical of societies that practised it as a social norm. while eating people was ok, it was generally not ok to eat members of your own community.

in the case of ATB, "cannibalism" is extended from just "a species eating it's own species" to "intellegent beings eating other intellegent beings." a rather enlightened definition actually...

plus there is the fact that behavior, including dietary preferance, is not an ingrained thing. it has to be tought. the attitudes towards cannibalism in ATB represent typical attitudes that accompany those alignments in most of the civilized ATB world. different cultures and different upbringings can result in different attitudes despite of alignment.

for example, a Feral mutant who lived its entire life in the wild would likely not see much of anything wrong with eating "food that talks". but a mutant that grew up in civilized Cardania would probably be of the opinion "food that talks is not food" unless social deviant or mentally insane. yet the two could be of the same alignment.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
gordyzx9r
Hero

That's not what the book says, that's your interpretation. If someone wants to run their game like that, then by all means...it's their game. But as far as what flows with AtBs theme, then no, I don't like it.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

actually the book says the listed attitudes are not absolute.

as for whether it fits ATB....it fits better than the utopian attitude of "no one does it except for ""EVIL"" people"

ATB is post-apocalyptic. it is a setting with Grit and grime and suffering and violence and bigotry and racism. it is a setting with people struggling to drag themselves out of the darkness of the collapse of society. a setting where primative societies outnumber the civilized ones. where even the 'civilized societies' are far from perfect.

this gritty, dark setting is often overlooked because of the fact that the people of the setting are mostly various forms of talking animal. because this element is so closely linked to "cartoons" in our society, the darker elements are often forgotten.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
gordyzx9r
Hero

Like I said, that's your interpretation...

I play my AtB darker and grittier than the tongue in cheek way it's presented to the player...but I for one steer clear of cannibals unless it follows suit with the way Erick penned it because it fits the way I envision the setting to be. I don't think an entire society would banish a particular breed of mutant animal just because they come from a line that was once considered to be a predator.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Re: [Fanbook] A few random thoughts, and the Great Plains Wa

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

one day I'm going to get me up a mess of gumption, collect all the fan material here on the PotFC and make myself a sourcebook. With everyone's permission of course. (I'm assuming said permission is given as the info is already presented online. credit will be given to the authors, even though I'll only make the thing for personal use and not distribution.)
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

as the person who has written a fair bit of it, fine by me. :)

some links to get you started:
[Fanbook] The Plains of Free Cattle
[fanbook] Nomad Herds, or "exactly what is Free Cattle?"
[fanbook] Free cattle and the great american desert
[fanbook] Equipment and Weapons
Purebreed or Chimera Jackalope? (Ft. Douglas, Wyoming, and the jackalope rangers. pepsi has submitted a version of this already i believe so you'll want to talk to him about it)

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

WWOOOOOOOO! or, since we're talking about cattle here, would it be?? MOOOOOOOOO!!
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”