So who owns the rights now?

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Thom001
Explorer

So who owns the rights now?

Unread post by Thom001 »

I know that palladium doesn't own the rights to tmnt and other strangeness anymore, but who does?
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Re: So who owns the rights now?

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Palladium has the rights to the RPG aspects, just not the Mirage content. In other words, everything but all the mentions & appearances of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & the characters that appeared in the Mirage comics. Once the license lapsed, PB did After The Bomb & the "Mutants In" sourcebooks (Mutants in Orbot, Mutants in Yucatan, ect.). It is possible to reprint the TMNT & OS content with some rework, just removing the TMNT properties & replacing them with more generic player content.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I believe the rights are owned by Nickelodeon now, with Mirage Studios being allowed to publish 18 issues a year of their comic book series.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
BookWyrm
Champion

Currently, IDW does a nice re-telling of the TMNT, combining a lot of lore form the past cartoon series' & putting a new spin on things.
I haven't seen a Mirage TMNT comic since they ended it years ago.
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

BookWyrm wrote:Palladium has the rights to the RPG aspects, just not the Mirage content. In other words, everything but all the mentions & appearances of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & the characters that appeared in the Mirage comics. Once the license lapsed, PB did After The Bomb & the "Mutants In" sourcebooks (Mutants in Orbot, Mutants in Yucatan, ect.). It is possible to reprint the TMNT & OS content with some rework, just removing the TMNT properties & replacing them with more generic player content.

i've actually suggested this for TDTMNT.. strip out the turtles and ATB specific stuff, and adapt it over to HU. having read the comics, Palladium appears ot have invented the time travel system for it whole cloth to explain the never-detailed timetravel mechanics in the comics, so it should be fair game. and time travel is something superhero comics often make use of, so it would fit pretty well into HU.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Thom001
Explorer

Unread post by Thom001 »

They could definitely do that, or roll it into its own universal sourcebook or game or something
Mr. Jays
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mr. Jays »

Thom001 wrote:They could definitely do that, or roll it into its own universal sourcebook or game or something

What do you think After The Bomb was?
--- author of "All Quiet on the Western.....What?" Rifter 84
BookWyrm
Champion

glitterboy2098 wrote: i've actually suggested this for TDTMNT.. strip out the turtles and ATB specific stuff, and adapt it over to HU. having read the comics, Palladium appears ot have invented the time travel system for it whole cloth to explain the never-detailed timetravel mechanics in the comics, so it should be fair game. and time travel is something superhero comics often make use of, so it would fit pretty well into HU.

I agree. Guide to the Universe would have to be almost rewritten from the ground up. A lot in that book references TMNT/Mirage properties, but most of the essential stuff pertaining to ATB would still work. Most of Transdimensional could stay, with a few rewrites on characters & places to make things fit. Maybe combine TD with GttU into one book?
Truckin', Go Hollywood and Adventures will have to see some rewriting/updating to fit better into a 'generic-player-character' form & combined into a adventure book.
Road Hogs could be updated & expanded to include the rest of the American continent, with the Plains of Free Cattle added with the stuff from the original Road Hogs.
The other ATB1 books can stand on their own, maybe with an errata detailing updates.
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Thom001
Explorer

Unread post by Thom001 »

Mr. Jays wrote:
Thom001 wrote:They could definitely do that, or roll it into its own universal sourcebook or game or something

What do you think After The Bomb was?

Only one aspect of the tmnt universe, not the time travel stuff that glitterboy was talking about.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

BookWyrm wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote: i've actually suggested this for TDTMNT.. strip out the turtles and ATB specific stuff, and adapt it over to HU. having read the comics, Palladium appears ot have invented the time travel system for it whole cloth to explain the never-detailed timetravel mechanics in the comics, so it should be fair game. and time travel is something superhero comics often make use of, so it would fit pretty well into HU.

I agree. Guide to the Universe would have to be almost rewritten from the ground up. A lot in that book references TMNT/Mirage properties, but most of the essential stuff pertaining to ATB would still work. Most of Transdimensional could stay, with a few rewrites on characters & places to make things fit. Maybe combine TD with GttU into one book?
Truckin', Go Hollywood and Adventures will have to see some rewriting/updating to fit better into a 'generic-player-character' form & combined into a adventure book.
Road Hogs could be updated & expanded to include the rest of the American continent, with the Plains of Free Cattle added with the stuff from the original Road Hogs.
The other ATB1 books can stand on their own, maybe with an errata detailing updates.

i'm not sure you could salvage anything from Guide to the universe.. pretty much everything in it is based on something from the comics. though much of it is inferred from setting or background stuff.

Transdimensional would be easy, since you'd just be replacing the TMNT based stuff (and the ATB stuff) with equivalents from HU. would mainly effect the storyline elements put in there, though it would need some major updating given how the system has changed. though honestly, i'd say updating and expansion would be the order of the day. you'd need to put in non-mutant version stats for many of the prehistoric creatures (and lets face it.. that would be a perfect time to update the depiction of dinosaurs to include more modern paleontology), as well as the history sections (a place where you could add a touch more accuracy.. as well as integrate some of the 'pulp age, silver age, golden age, etc' stuff brought up in Rifter #5 to help do 'heroes through time')and the HU setting just begs for some sort of time police organization or organizations, as well as time hopping criminal or villain organizations.

the trucking, hollywood, and adventures i agree, could easily be mined for HU content. the trick would be finding out how much was left after removing anything even one or two steps removed from TMNT.. though i suspect that things like the west coast ninja clan and the like, which were not in the comics but derived from PB's approach to the setting, could probably be renamed and tweaked to make them more distinct to HU.

the After the Bomb Books i tend to treat as a separate thing, given that ATB has had a standalone revival of sorts. i would love to see the old region sourcebooks given a proper update for the newer version of the game. much of the reworking needed to update the backgrounds and other parts have already been done here on the forums by fans, but i think that instead of compilation of the books, they should each be expanded to include newer material. Mutantas of the Yucatan could easily include both an updated version of the "Adventures in the Yucatan" pamphlet, as well as a tweaked version of the Mesozoic Land article from the rifter (perhaps the dino's have expanded to the yucatan area as their first off-island colony? i could see the carnivore nation deciding it needed some more space and maybe a new source of food and servants.

Mutants Down under i actually did a review and brainstorming session for a few years back, wich has thoughts on how to update and expand it.

Mutants in Avalon doesn't have too much extant to work with in terms of adding more stuff, but the England setting really could use some extra depth added, as well as perhaps a bit of tweaking to the storyline campaign in it to make it feel more ATB and less "merlin and magic tacked on". expanding on france and the other nations of europe would also be an awesome thing to see, given the ATB2 main book hints at a bunch of stuff for them already.

and i Think roadhogs remains best as a stand alone book.. but you could easily add in some of the free cattle stuff this forum has created, as well as expanding the stuff outside california. what is in oregon and washington other than the Road Hogs gangs, and how do those gangs manage to have an actual 'quasi-nation? give us more on the prairie dogs and their theocracy, the pregunda(sp?), etc..
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
EddieSprecy
D-Bee

So who owns the rights now

Unread post by EddieSprecy »

I contacted Sky recently asking them if it would ever be possible to show old GamesWorld episodes again via some form of catch-up/online service or by releasing it on DVD. They replied that they no longer owned the rights to the show and it would therefore not be possible.

Any ideas who owns the rights to GamesWorld now?
Rali
Hero

Re: So who owns the rights now

Unread post by Rali »

EddieSprecy wrote:Any ideas who owns the rights to GamesWorld now?

Hewland International Ltd., the shows producers, dissolved in 2009 [link]. So chances are that the rights were either sold off, or are being held in trust by some law firm.
AtB Warehouse Blog (New Animals, Adventures, Bestiary, and More)

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”