What do you think are top 10 Animal Psionic powers?

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: What do you think are top 10 Animal Psionic powers?

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

There aren't that many to begin with, so why need a top ten?
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

:twisted: All ten being "Mind Trap". :twisted:
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote::twisted: All ten being "Mind Trap". :twisted:

nah. at least one of them has to be bio-manipulation :P

but seriously, top 10 for what? top 10 for combat? top 10 most frequently chosen? top 10 most useful? top 10 that don't work because technically you can only use one at a time and some of them require multiple powers to be used simultaneously? top 10 highest bio-e cost? top 10 that people can actually afford in the first place because there's so many other things to spend bio-e points on, like not being the size of a squirrel or actually having hands or having your animal type actually mean anything at all? top 10 that i would like to have if i had infinite bio-e? top 10 if i could have them irl?

you've only asked half a question.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

In no particular order the ones I have found the most useful in games as both a PC and a GM are...

Mind Trap
Telepathic Listening
Danger Sense
Cell Reader, Advanced
Hypnotic Suggestion
Sense Nemesis
Extended Ectoplasmic Hands
Bio-Manipulation (any of the regular ones)
Bio-Manipulation: Crystal Self
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Avigor
D-Bee

Unread post by Avigor »

Context, context, context!

Something to keep in mind: the saving throws are not super-difficult to make for other psionics, so the all-or-nothing attacks may not be the best options overall. Also, Mind Block will block Mind Trap, but not Bio-Manipulation. On that topic, anyone know whether the Page 61 "10 or higher" or the Page 147 "12 or better" is the correct rule for saving against psionics if you are a psionic?

I'd say my top 10, in no particular order:
Danger Sense for a small boost to your combat stats (albeit Predator Surge can be more powerful depending on circumstances)
Sense Nemesis for the ability to detect if there's a sniper and roughly where he is (per the text!), in addition to hints as to if a known enemy is involved
Cell Reader to make a buck and to detect Chameleon Mice or other disguises (Advanced gets more $ and no risk of upset "my kids are infertile!" complaints if that's a concern at the cost of more Bio-E)
Natural Mechanical Genius if you don't want to pay for parts for the party car
Psychic Diagnosis for the party medic (basically the diagnosis roll can be ignored if you have it)
Extended Ectoplasmic Hands for skill bonuses and direct to HP damage (do HTH and P.S. bonuses apply to the EEH attack?)
Telepathic Listening for interrogation
Techno-Mind to deal with computers faster
Mind Trap for incapacitation or possibly faster training (it is described as giving one hour of virtual, relative time per minute of real time, so why not give an apprentice several hours of lectures within a few minutes or even virtual practice sessions with no real-world penalty for failure, assuming the master can generate a sufficiently realistic simulation that is?)
Bio-Manipulation: Paralysis (the others mostly suck; unless you want to mute a commander/sentry to prevent alerts or orders, deafen a guard as you sneak past, make an enemy psi's attacks cost them more relatively than normal, torture someone, or try to very slowly kill them from a ranged position where they somehow can't reach you, the others are only for show to the superstitious)

+4 Honorable Mentions:
Hypnotic Suggestion: So much potential, assuming they fail their saves and don't have Mind Block up.
Invisible Haze: Basically ditto.
Animal Control: Who doesn't like having a friend to tip the odds in their favor?
See Aura: Can give a few hints, especially when dealing with disguises or Chameleon Mice.

Is the Bio-Manipulation: Crystal Self even available? It's not in the main ATB book...
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

a 55% chance of success is still pretty good for something that can instantly incapacitate a target, so even against other psionic individuals still pretty danged good imo.

(also, in other palladium games 10 is what master psionic classes give. i'd say no mutant animal qualifies as a master psionic character because they can only have one active at a time no matter what, even if they can actually afford to buy more than one in the first place, so i would presume it lets you save on a 12).

anyways, i would point out that ectoplasmic legs basically gives you flight, complete with perfect maneuverability including hover capabilities.

i am also fond of extended ectoplasmic hands for a bat with sonar :)

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”