Time travel events...

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pblackcrow
Champion

Time travel events...

Unread post by pblackcrow »

A thought a player had...what effect on the time stream would it be if the players took the Czar and the rest of the Romanoff's to safety, and the German Kaiser...And helped them both to take back their country and tell them things to help STABILIZE stuff. Thus preventing WWI and WWII...It will effect things in America, as far as peonage goes in the south and racial divides go, etc.

Also, what (if any) effect on the time stream would it have to go back in time and take Alexander the Great's son and Cleopatra's youngest son away to the island of Hy-Brazil and raised them and educate them, then put them back into the time frame they request.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: Time travel events...

Unread post by Shark_Force »

i suspect that you could potentially prevent world war 2 (which basically started because of how world war 1 ended), but i'm not so sure you could prevent the first easily. my gut feeling is that you would mostly delay it...
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

You're right, they can't prevent WWI, considering it began in 1914...ended 1918.

However, they can potentially also prevent the stock market crash.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

the stock market crash was probably not the biggest problem. what they might be able to do is not put germany into a situation where people have a reason to vote hitler into power. the punishments that were dealt to germany which were intended to make sure germany could never go to war was the major impetus that led germany to want to go to war. hitler rose to power because he promised, more or less, to give germany her dignity back (and, for what it's worth, he did. i mean, he did all kinds of other horrific things, but he also revitalized the german economy, paid off their debts, rebuilt the german army, and took back the territory which germany had lost and then some). how they go about doing that is, of course, up to them.

it is hard to conclusively say that germany definitely would not have gone to war if they had been treated better at the treaty of versailles. but that is a major reason most historians i've ever heard of agree lead to world war 2.

another possibility would be to persuade the other major powers to intervene much earlier than they did. this might be pretty hard; after world war 1, nobody wanted war. however, it would have been vastly easier to stop germany had they done so early; hitler consistently lied about how many troops he had, but unlike the rest of the world (which were mostly claiming they had less than they did), hitler claimed he had more than he did, which means that many of his earlier conquests were actually backed by far fewer troops than he claimed (which shouldn't be surprising considering the restrictions that were placed on germany's army at the end of world war 1, which hitler had not finished undoing nearly as quickly as he claimed to have done). if you could somehow provide evidence that he actually had a much smaller army than he was claiming, it *might* have been possible to persuade one of the major powers to intervene (probably france was in the best position to do so; britain would've needed france's permission to do anything to stop hitler's early aggression anyways). of course, it would still have been a tremendously unpopular decision (seriously, many people blame the leaders for letting hitler have his way, but the fact of the matter is that people *cheered* those leaders for not declaring war). so that might not work either.

if you want an interesting resource to help you understand what led up to world war 1, i recommend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f11CKYB ... ap9srI_zx7 by the way.

sadly, i don't have a similar series for world war 2 off the top of my head, but there's a lot more information about the war in general. here's a youtube search that should get you some options if you want to understand it better: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... orld+war+2
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

You can end up with an entirely different world history from fairly minor events. Save Alexander's son and there might not have been a Cleopatra as just one example.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”