Mutant animals - sophisticated or primal?

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RainbowDevil
Explorer

Mutant animals - sophisticated or primal?

Unread post by RainbowDevil »

Hey folks,

From my observations, the mutants in After the Bomb generally seem to be portrayed as fairly civilised (or so it seems to me). Kind of like the TMNT, which was their inspiration. They seem to be pretty much just humans but with animal-like physical features. Sure, 2nd edition made them slightly less human with the disadvantages (especially the predator/prey brain disadvantages), but by and large they are *not* animal-like in their behaviours at all. Given how long humans have been evolving socially and technologically, it often seems to be overlooked at how easily the animals just adapted to their new societies.

So, my question is, in your games of AtB, how do you portray the mutants? Are they simply humans who look different and are maybe *slightly* less advanced, or are they more feral and animal-like in their behaviours? If the latter, what sort of things do you feel helps to capture that primal quality? I'd definitely like to add more of that into my campaign.

Regards,
RD
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Re: Mutant animals - sophisticated or primal?

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

I like to play up the animal aspects of my characters when at all possible, but while staying true to the character concept/personality.

I have a Mt. Lion who is a traveling merchant/peddler. He's also got a carnivorous diet. If you mess with him he'll kill you, eat you, and then sell your tanned hide as a finely crafted leather good. He's not an indiscriminate killer mind you. He only kills those who persist in their actions against him. Everyone has the chance to cease & desist and thereby live another day. Also, friends and customers don't get eaten.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Mutant animals - sophisticated or primal?

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

By the books, there are a range of behaviors and mindsets. Some live almost feral, as just smarter animals. Others live primitively but have complex cultures, similar to 'cavemen', aborigines, Bush people, etc. Some have adopted an almost native american culture and style of living, others a frontier/colonial style, etc. Those that have access to the technology to support it live in fashions close to modern cities, and have built societies that reflect such life.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”