Skills Question

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ehh123
Newb

Skills Question

Unread post by ehh123 »

I'm looking at the TMNT RPG Revised edition. I decided to the get the Journalist/Investigation program from skills. There is one problem. One skill is listed as "Intelligence" even though there isn't a description for it. Is that suppose to be "Interrogation" (which would make some sense) or should I ignore it?
Pumphrey
D-Bee

Re: Skills Question

Unread post by Pumphrey »

This form seems pretty quiet...
I feel that, like most Palladium GM questions, the answer is:

ITS UP TO YOU
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Jack Burton »

If you have Heroes Unlimited 2nd Edition, the skill description for Intelligence is on page 51. In Rifts Ultimate Edition, it's on page 309. Interrogation is different. Hope that helps.
Pumphrey
D-Bee

Jack Burton wrote:If you have Heroes Unlimited 2nd Edition, the skill description for Intelligence is on page 51. In Rifts Ultimate Edition, it's on page 309. Interrogation is different. Hope that helps.

But TMNT&OS also claims to be a complete game;
and although I like the idea of taking skills from other games, unfortunately, I find they don't always add up to being "fair"
(for some reason I can't decipher other than a book's author putting their spin on a skill or they're honest typos)
By that I mean, If you want a character to take Intelligence from the Heroes book, then should not that character take ALL their skills from the Heroes book? if not, then a character can cherry-pick all the best skills from the best books.

In which case I side with the OP of substituting Interrogation (which IS in the TMNT&OS book) rather than taking a skill from another book... that can open too many cans of worms I find (unless you have a reasonable player that is!)
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Jack Burton »

Pumphrey wrote:
Jack Burton wrote:If you have Heroes Unlimited 2nd Edition, the skill description for Intelligence is on page 51. In Rifts Ultimate Edition, it's on page 309. Interrogation is different. Hope that helps.

But TMNT&OS also claims to be a complete game;
and although I like the idea of taking skills from other games, unfortunately, I find they don't always add up to being "fair"
(for some reason I can't decipher other than a book's author putting their spin on a skill or they're honest typos)
By that I mean, If you want a character to take Intelligence from the Heroes book, then should not that character take ALL their skills from the Heroes book? if not, then a character can cherry-pick all the best skills from the best books.

In which case I side with the OP of substituting Interrogation (which IS in the TMNT&OS book) rather than taking a skill from another book... that can open too many cans of worms I find (unless you have a reasonable player that is!)

I agree 100% with you. I've come to the conclusion that with Palladium games, it's completely acceptable to use other Palladium games to fill in holes or answer questions..... until it's not OK. So when is it OK and when is it not? Nobody really knows! So, ya. I agree with you that a stand-alone game should be just that.

Your suggestion of "It's up to you" is also spot on. Some folks like having multiple supplements with information scattered throughout them. Some people enjoy being librarians and having to sort through volumes of I fo. Personally, I hate that approach-it's maddening. I want all the information in as few books as possible, even if that makes the book super thick. A table of contents or index will guide me. to where I need to look at. Granted, new information will always be presented which prompts a new supplement or update, but I'm a big fan of "one-stop shopping" with my information. My 2 cents.
Pumphrey
D-Bee

I wonder if may the OP picked Interrogation just because it sounds similar?
It's obviously not an equivalent skill!
Personally I would just substitute whatever is appropriate for the character/situation.
Customization is the name of the game it seems with Palladium.
I've only been playing the system about a year now, but the openness is what I'm loving most about it;
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

It's an example of something that got missed in the editing between the original and revised editions. I can hardly believe they did it deliberately in an effort to make you buy another book.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”