How tall is a long-necked character

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

How tall is a long-necked character

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

A member of my gaming group has a mutant plesiosaur. The description says that the neck is 1/2 of the total body length. The character is 6 feet tall. Does this mean that the top of the head sits on a three-foot neck and the characters only three foot high at the shoulder? That makes the mutant dinosaur the size of a toddler. How do you determine the height of your long-necked characters?
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Rali
Hero

Re: How tall is a long-necked character

Unread post by Rali »

That sounds about right. Maybe drop the length to 1/3 (with Partial Human Looks) if you want the character's body mass to be larger, but I don't see an issue with a mutant plesiosaur having a dwarfish body shape. It's how I would imagine one would be drawn in a comic, which is how I try to view the game world of AtB.
AtB Warehouse Blog (New Animals, Adventures, Bestiary, and More)

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

What's the size value of the character?
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Yeah.. if your dino is only 6 foot tall total and you picked one with a long neck. I'd say... yeah. kinda dwarfish body with a long neck and head on top of it.

That said you could go the other way too and not really have most people mind. 6 foot at the 'shoulder' with another 3 feet of neck and head. For a total of 9.

GM call. Either way you want to do it, but like Rali I imagine if it were in comics it'd be drawn as the some what dwarfish body with long neck. But as a dino sort of char.. I'd personally want the 9 foot toal there, but that's me. 9 feet is alot taller than most people honestly realize and would cause problems.

If you're trying to play 'human' sized dino chars.. then yeah. dwarfish body with long neck and head.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I would say 6 feet at the shoulder and 9 feet to the top of its head.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Bill - Off hand I don't recall the char's size level. The Plesiosaur has a medium build body type.

I found the description for looks none (which is the only way to play a mutant animal). Changes are of course made for full hands and biped (no flippers)
- Looks: None: The character has an extremely small, wedge-shaped head with small, sharp teeth atop a neck as long as the body. The nostrils are atop of the head, above the eyes. The body is large and barrel-shaped. The tail is short, when compared to a creature of its size. The limbs consist of wide, thin flippers.

(looks like I got mixed up in my description, but the math stays the same.)

See this is where I'm stuck if he's 6ft tall then he has a 3 ft long neck and a 3 ft body. Midget sized. While having a terrifying head/neck, there isn't anything intimidating about someone you could probably go up and shove over.

Pepsi, Say, That's how we had pictured him in our heads, as being a normal to large-ish human sized body with an enormous neck. When we got a bit deeper into it we were like, "wait is his head 12 feet of the ground or only 6? If it's only 6 then he's a tiny little dude (with a massive massive amount of crushing ps). Who's going to be afraid of the midgetosaur terror of the high seas?"

It stands to reason that you'd run in to the same problem playing a Giraffe, any of the Sauropod dinosaurs, a long-necked bird (goose, stork, flaming, etc). You spend all this Bio-E to grow to a respectable size (yeah yeah I know the game was originally geared toward short chars) only to find out that while your head is above the steering wheel the rest of you can't reach the pedals (so to speak).
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

i would have the head *up to* 12 feet above the ground, but with the neck typically being more curved so that the head is usually "only" 9 feet above the ground.
Rali
Hero

Unread post by Rali »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:I found the description for looks none (which is the only way to play a mutant animal).

:ok:

Actually, I was thinking you could create an alternative Partial Looks that only reduced the neck length from 1/2 to 1/3.

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:While having a terrifying head/neck, there isn't anything intimidating about someone you could probably go up and shove over.

You haven't met some of my ex-girlfriends. (j/k) It's all in the attitude, or if the character's senses are heightened, it would be hard for someone to sneak up on them before the character swiveled their head and neck around to show off those sharp teeth.
AtB Warehouse Blog (New Animals, Adventures, Bestiary, and More)

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Interesting discussion; but I always figured neck length was already factored into the size factor/class. And you're dealing with a critter who, like a giraffe, likely has a Body Type: Long as part of the baseline description.
Yeah, it would be tough having a toddler-sized body, but not impossible, and a great opportunity for role-playing...on one hand the character is able to see people eye to eye, but he can still punch people in the kneecaps. Of course, using the sights on a firearm are going to require some awkward convolutions of the neck, but unless you want to be a right bastard and have that as a disadvantage that needs to be bought off, ATB typically handwaves that off.
I'd say play as is, or re-arrange some points to go up a size level or two. Proportion-wise, that toddler-height body is going to be more like a fantasy dwarf's; rather broad and well-rounded.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”