AFter The Bomb 2nd edition compatibility question..

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

CMDrunk
D-Bee

AFter The Bomb 2nd edition compatibility question..

Unread post by CMDrunk »

i recently received the following:
TMNT And Other Straneness

TMNT Adventures

All the After The Bomb Supplements (except Mutants In Orbit)

My quaetion is..Does ATB 2nd play well with what I have easily???
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Re: AFter The Bomb 2nd edition compatibility question..

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Yes. You can still use the material from ATB1 into ATB2.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

imo, some updates are recommended. the setting material should be fine (well, actually, i've seen the setting info for mutants of yucatan and personally wouldn't touch some of that stuff with a 29.5 foot pole; YMMV), but many ATB2 mutants tend to have more generous bio-e allotments.

conveniently, there's a thread at the top of this forum that updates them all for you, if you're willing to use someone else's homebrew, so yeah, it's pretty much all useful, more or less. but you may find you get better results by supplementing it with some of the freely available homebrew on these boards :)
CMDrunk
D-Bee

Unread post by CMDrunk »

Shark_Force wrote:imo, some updates are recommended. the setting material should be fine (well, actually, i've seen the setting info for mutants of yucatan and personally wouldn't touch some of that stuff with a 29.5 foot pole; YMMV), but many ATB2 mutants tend to have more generous bio-e allotments.

conveniently, there's a thread at the top of this forum that updates them all for you, if you're willing to use someone else's homebrew, so yeah, it's pretty much all useful, more or less. but you may find you get better results by supplementing it with some of the freely available homebrew on these boards :)

THANKS! :)
Mechanurgist
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: With the right gems [a techno-wizard] can make a toaster that resurrects people!

Unread post by Mechanurgist »

They're not compatible. Animals attribute bonuses are different, some of the psionic powers and animal abilities work differently, BIO-E numbers differ and the combat rules are different.
New After the Bomb Adventure: Rendezvous in N'Yak
Old After the Bomb Adventure: Northern Lights
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Mechanurgist wrote:They're not compatible. Animals attribute bonuses are different, some of the psionic powers and animal abilities work differently, BIO-E numbers differ and the combat rules are different.

sure, but they use the same system. you won't have identical animals made using the old material, but you absolutely could use a mutant animal created using the old books in the current system. they'd likely be a bit less strong, but then again so would some of the animals in the current system compared to others in the new system (there are literally cases where an animal will be identical to another animal except several size levels larger, and have the exact same options for spending bio-e and the exact same starting budget for bio-e, for example; clearly, the larger version is stronger. in other cases, some animals have absolutely horrible drawbacks to choose from for extra bio-e, while others just have "your tail is a bit annoying sometimes", and even then that same drawback can be worth different amounts of points to different creatures with little apparent rhyme or reason to it.

so yeah, balance isn't perfect from old to new. but it isn't perfect from new to new either.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Mechanurgist wrote:They're not compatible. Animals attribute bonuses are different, some of the psionic powers and animal abilities work differently, BIO-E numbers differ and the combat rules are different.

They're compatible, ATB2 is just a more 'mature' game. Instead of small splat books of 48 pages or what have you it's a deeper more rich book.

Yes the animals are more thought out, their abilities are 'better' for the most part, and there's more options, but that doesn't mean the old ones aren't compatiable. Once you've looked through ATB2, you can use their animals to add things to the animals out of the older books. Some of the powers in ATB2 weren't options previously, but should have been. The settings are fine. You'll just need to soup up some of the animals a touch. If you want to, it's not something you'd 'have' to do.

ATB2 is one of the best books Palladium has produced, and that's even with what it 'was' having to be shelved and it being changed into what it 'is' now.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”