Apprenticeship question

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

cyberdon
Dungeon Crawler

Apprenticeship question

Unread post by cyberdon »

I'm rolling up a random mutant, and rolled elite militia as my background.

Under that heading, it says I get to select one apprenticeship. If I say, selected mechanic, do I get every skill listed under that apprenticeship?
Zamion138
Hero

Re: Apprenticeship question

Unread post by Zamion138 »

No.
I dont have the books with me but there is a group of skills for each apprenticeship category. Check the other skills and education levels section. Should be close by.
cyberdon
Dungeon Crawler

So, do I just go with my primary and secondary skill amounts, and select these from the apprenticeship, or get them in addition to?
Zamion138
Hero

What ever the wording is. Again no books but i think you get the apprenticeship stuff plus your occ and related..... I dont misqoute you since the books no where near me
cyberdon
Dungeon Crawler

It looks like under background, that you get an apprenticeship, plus primary skills, plus secondary.

Under the apprenticeship, there are a lot of skills listed that one would obtain.

Taken all together: apprenticeship + primary + secondary, it seems like a lot.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

cyberdon wrote:It looks like under background, that you get an apprenticeship, plus primary skills, plus secondary.

Under the apprenticeship, there are a lot of skills listed that one would obtain.

Taken all together: apprenticeship + primary + secondary, it seems like a lot.

It's intentional though as the book's writer had a 'nobody will survive long enough for it to matter anyway' attitude and that no one could live long enough to learn any new skills as they leveled (even the writers for Dark Suns didn't hold that view) so most options are set up to really front-load a character with skills since without importing other rules you can't learn anything new.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
cyberdon
Dungeon Crawler

Ah k. So I'm doing things correctly.

Thanks. :)
Zamion138
Hero

Every time we have run atb chars last to lv3 about max, its a pretty brutal setting. Or lends its self to be so in such a bleak world.
cyberdon
Dungeon Crawler

I plan to run it purty scary and 'real'.
Rali
Hero

Unread post by Rali »

Nightmask is correct, many character background and apprenticeship will end up giving a character a 'ton' of skills to begin with.

However, because there are no "official rules" for gaining new skills as you adventure, I created a 'Teacher/Instructor' apprenticeship, that you could make available to NPC's that your characters could learn new skills from. There is an example of how instruction works at the end of the article.

This apprenticeship is still a work in progress, so any feedback would be appreciated.
AtB Warehouse Blog (New Animals, Adventures, Bestiary, and More)

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne
Cedric Caleb
D-Bee
Comment: It's been quite awhile since I last visited the site. Back then I was Reid's Ranger so if anyone remembers me.

Unread post by Cedric Caleb »

I've often found that a properly run AtB campaign will usually slay about 1 in 3 members of the party when played right. However, I usually use the PFRPG or Rifts Conversion recommendation to learning new skills with that 5000 xp level zero option. It can get to be a little tricky though.
Rather than putting up another Gamers or GM looking for Game I guess I should post here. Looking to Play or GM an AtB game on Tuesday or Thursday evenings. Keeping Saturday open for table game campaign.

Also, I may be away for a week or so around 06-15 APR 15, due to wife having another death in her family.

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”