The Beholders (NOT a D&D monster)

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dolcet
Wanderer

The Beholders (NOT a D&D monster)

Unread post by Dolcet »

Ok let me start off by saying I am not looking to make anything like the d&d beholders. What i am trying to do is pick a race to use the name beholder.

The basic premise for up coming campaign is the is a new threat looming a race calling itself the Beholders they are a threat because The Beholders consider themselves to be the Paragons of existence. For only Beholders can truly know what beauty is and all other living things deserve to die for the crime of not being a Beholder. (My friend john made up this statement at random & i stole it)

So what i need are suggestions of real world animals that i can use as well as bio-e points & abilities of the animals i am not looking to recreate the eyeball things. :crane: :frust:
I reject your reality & substitute my own
Adam Savage "Mythbusters"
Gazirra
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it.
-Groucho Marx

Re: The Beholders (NOT a D&D monster)

Unread post by Gazirra »

How about pistol shrimps? Their visual abilities are astoundingly complex! I'm not sure about actual game rules, though.

Maybe your Beholders could be a species (or a chimera) with tremendous visual capabilities.
Dolcet
Wanderer

Unread post by Dolcet »

thanks for the idea i will keep it in mind. Unfortunetly my group has decided they would rather play Necessary Evil. A Supers game where you play the villains after the heroes have been wiped out by invading aliens. it has a kind of WW2 french resistance feel to it. Which is fine by me I love that setting. My only concern about it is that it is a system i know only ok (having only played about 3 months in it a couple of years ago) & we start this sunday.
I reject your reality & substitute my own
Adam Savage "Mythbusters"
Rali
Hero

Unread post by Rali »

For vision, I'd actually nominate the Mantis Shrimp:
listverse.com wrote:Mantis shrimp have much better color vision than humans (their eyes having 12 types of color receptors, whereas humans have only three), as well as ultraviolet, infrared and polarized light vision, thus having the most complex eyesight of any animal known. The eyes are located at the end of stalks, and can be moved independently from each other, rotating up to 70 degrees. Interestingly, the visual information is processed by the eyes themselves, not the brain.

Even more bizarre; each of the mantis shrimp’s eyes is divided in three sections allowing the creature to see objects with three different parts of the same eye. In other words, each eye has “trinocular vision” and complete depth perception, meaning that if a mantis shrimp lost an eye, its remaining eye would still be able to judge depth and distance as well as a human with his two eyes. Scientists are only starting to understand the mysteries of Stomatopod vision; for the moment, we can only imagine what the world really looks like to a mantis shrimp.

However, I'd like to nominate a subspecies of bioengineered humans. Almost alien looking with large eyes, numerous chimeric additions, and either powerful psionics or highly advanced technologies.

Looking for some reason for their rampage, I came up with this backstory -- These Beholders had cloistered themselves away from the ravaged world for decades in an old art museum, all these years secluded away from the outside world and surrounded by the beauty of the artwork drove them mad. Then one day the museum was discovered by a band of scavengers (maybe a band of Wolf Barbarians) looking for valuables to sell. This attack by scavengers who were seeing their art as items only to sell for profit, and not appreciated and fawned over angered them to the point to begin their genocidal campaign.

The question then becomes, how are these "Beholders" conducting their genocidal campaign? After some pondering, I keep thinking back to a scene from the old 1950's War of the Worlds movies, three large war machines protected by impenetrable shields, slowly advancing across the countryside, killing all in their path. Though for this, I'd change the heat rays to Medusa Rays; everyone struck by them would be turned into calcified (stone) statues. Their madness would see this as poetic justice, turning these pitiful creatures that cannot possibly understand or appreciate "true" beauty into works of art, and then leaving these works of art scattered across the landscape.

The hook for the adventure would be that one of the scavengers was able to elude capture and then escaped the museum after the Beholders "killed" the rest of the scavengers and left on their genocidal rampage. The group could be brought into the story in a number of ways, here are some examples:
* After finding a village populated only by these odd statues, they encounter the escaped scavenger who relates his mad tale.
* Cardanian scouts capture and interrogated the escaped scavenger, and the group is assigned to validate his mad claims.
* A wealthy individual hires the group to discover what happened to the scavengers he hired to loot an old museum hidden in the ruins of a distant city. They then encounter the surviving scavenger and a few Beholders who have stayed behind to guard the museum.

I've expanded on this and posted it on my blog (link below)
AtB Warehouse Blog (New Animals, Adventures, Bestiary, and More)

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne
Cedric Caleb
D-Bee
Comment: It's been quite awhile since I last visited the site. Back then I was Reid's Ranger so if anyone remembers me.

Unread post by Cedric Caleb »

I could see having a wonderful spin-off from this idea. Why not use peacocks, since the male feathers have an eyeball in each and they are considered quite beautiful fowl.
Rather than putting up another Gamers or GM looking for Game I guess I should post here. Looking to Play or GM an AtB game on Tuesday or Thursday evenings. Keeping Saturday open for table game campaign.

Also, I may be away for a week or so around 06-15 APR 15, due to wife having another death in her family.

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”