Breaking Chains and other feats of strength

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Danger Man
Wanderer
Comment: “Behind every successful man is a woman, behind her is his wife.” -- Groucho Marx

Re: Breaking Chains and other feats of strength

Unread post by Danger Man »

Good question, angelicdoctor. I can think of a couple ways I would do it depending on how much time I wanted to dwell on the subject.

The first option is I would probably assign a S.D.C. value to the chains (40 - 60 S.D.C.) and then have the chained character use their strength in an attempt to damage the chain -- perhaps 1D2 damage plus any hand-to-hand strength bonus. This way, it may take some time before the character can escape (if at all). You might want to assign an A.R. (10 - 12) to the chain to represent the natural hardness of the metal and have the character roll to hit using just attribute bonuses as modifiers to the roll to see if they even damage the chain in the first place. A low S.D.C. (and A.R.) chain would be a rusty, poor condition chain while a chain with a high S.D.C./A.R. would be top notch quality. Since a chain is only as good as its weakest link, I would probably have a character who does damage equal to 25% of the chain's total S.D.C. has broken the weakest link freeing the character.

The other method which isn't as true to the Palladium system but simpler and probably quicker, is I would assign a rating of 3% to 5% times the character's P.S. with the final number equally the percentage chance of breaking the chain. Any attempt to break the chain will take 1D6 rounds. If it a sturdy chain, then use the 3% x P.S. and if it is a rusty old chain, then use the 5% x P.S. and a normal chain would be 4% x P.S..

For example, a character with a P.S. of 12 would have a 36% chance to break out a heavy duty chain, 48% to break a standard chain, and 60% to break an old weak chain. Every attempt (no matter the strength of the chain) will take 1D6 rounds of the character's time.

Naturally any of the numbers used above can be adjusted to the GM's own tastes.

Cheers,
Tim
Rali
Hero

Re: Breaking Chains and other feats of strength

Unread post by Rali »

Might I suggest a much more simple way of handling this. Set a strength level needed to break through several types of chain and then use that to decide if the character can break it. Same with any other feat of Strength; set a difficulty and then have the character test their PS (D20+PS) vs the difficulty.

Example:
Standard Chain: Requires minimum Brute Strength 21+ to break. Difficulty: 29 (Weakening: -1 per failed attempt, -2 per fail if Beastly Strength, -4 if Crushing Strength)
Powerful Chain: Requires Crushing Strength 26+ to break. Difficulty: 42 (Weakening: -1 per failed attempt)

In game:
Greta is a mutant Bear and is currently bound with a "Standard Chain". Greta has Beastly Strength and a PS of 22, so she can attempt to break the chains that bind her. On her first attempt she rolls a 6 on a D20, giving her a total of 28; not enough to break the chain. However, she has weakened the chain by -2 so her next target is 27. On her next attempt, she rolls a 12, giving her a total of 34 and breaks the chain.

Pat is a mutant Alligator and is trying to break a Powerful Chain that is securing a vehicle to a tree. Pat has Brute Strength and a PS of 28. He cannot break the chain by a feat of strength because he isn't strong enough. Brute Strength < Crushing Strength.
AtB Warehouse Blog (New Animals, Adventures, Bestiary, and More)

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”