Animal Psychics

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DevastationBob
Dungeon Crawler

Animal Psychics

Unread post by DevastationBob »

Having recently rolled up a few muties recently, I've noticed that with all the human features, powers, and weapons, there isn't a lot of Bio-E left over for psionics (at least the way I build them) so I almost never made them. Has anyone used the mutant animal psionics more extensively, and what was your experience?
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Re: Animal Psychics

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Only 2 mutants have ever had psionic powers

a dog had Animal speech (he barked back)
a bull had Animal speech and control animals (bovines). Oddly enough he made his living as a cattle rancher.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
hollowecho
Wanderer

Unread post by hollowecho »

I've bought telepathy for a couple of my mutants...and a cow who also had animal control (bovine)..but that a tale already told on a mother post
Rali
Hero

Unread post by Rali »

I once had a player who created a cat character who did spent all his character's Bio-E on Psionics. It was one of the most interesting characters I've seen.

The character ended up being the inspiration over the years for several more characters that followed the same design and acting as very important figures in Cardania and Gatorland's Intelligence Services, and a secret society of psionics.
AtB Warehouse Blog (New Animals, Adventures, Bestiary, and More)

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

TMNT Adventures fixed the Bio-E problem. Everyone gets the "Animal Abilities" major super power form HU for free (or alternatively, the minors of either Winged Flight of Underwater Abilities for flying/aquatic breeds) and an extra 50 Bio-E. Suddenly, they can compete, sorta.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
hollowecho
Wanderer

Where is this tmnt adventures ?
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

DevastationBob wrote:Having recently rolled up a few muties recently, I've noticed that with all the human features, powers, and weapons, there isn't a lot of Bio-E left over for psionics (at least the way I build them) so I almost never made them. Has anyone used the mutant animal psionics more extensively, and what was your experience?

The game is built like that on purpose. You're not 'supposed' to be able to have "All human features, (hands, biped, speech, looks) and powers and weapons, and psychic powers. The way the game is built, you're not even supposed to get "All the human features, powers and weapons" Very rare is the animal that has enough Bio-E points to get it all.

you're supposed to prioritize. The way the numbers break down you're very likely to end up 'small' too. Size level 6 to 8 or so max. This usually ends up being TMNT size or smaller (4 and a half to five feet). Again, this is purposeful. The game was designed to end up with very TMNT type mutants when it's all said and done.

If you want psionics on your mutant you've got to sacrifice some where. Usually you end up sacrificing looks (If you're playing a mutant animal why look like a human? If you're a human with claws or wings there's much easier ways to get there) and if you want psionics you likely have to sacrifice powers and natural weapons too.

I generally toss an additional 25-35 Bio-e points on so people can have hands, biped, speech, AND get a claw or power or two. You still have to prioritize.

Tor wrote:TMNT Adventures fixed the Bio-E problem. Everyone gets the "Animal Abilities" major super power form HU for free (or alternatively, the minors of either Winged Flight of Underwater Abilities for flying/aquatic breeds) and an extra 50 Bio-E. Suddenly, they can compete, sorta.

Mmmmmm No. Not really at all.

What TMNT Adventures has is an extreamly old table. Where if you choose to have Mutant Animals++++++SUPER POWERS, You can roll on a table, if you get 90-100 You get a mutant animal with a super power.

IF you manage to get that, you get +50 points to spend on a super power. You --have-- to spend these points (At least part of them) On the super power.

You can chose from the limited list or roll via heroes unlimited and hope you land on "Animal Abilities" it states specifically you cannot just choose this one.
And you don't get all animal abilities for free. You get the ones in Heroes Unlimited under the super power, which are very different from the ones in TMNT/ATB. You do get that 'power' for free, if you manage to roll that way and do end up with +50 Bio-E points.... that +50 Bio-E is your 'super powers'

More or less.

But

A) It's not standard. You have to be playing a game with Super powered Mutant animals. (I.E. A mutant badger who can fly through the air, or a mutant Giraffe who can alter physical structure fire)
B) You only have a 10% chance of rolling the Mutant WITH super powers. There's a 50%chance you're human (Not what you're aiming for) and a 40% chance you're a 'normal' Mutant Animal. only that 10% chance you end up with powers.
C) If you DO choose to have a game with Flying or icy or invisable, or what ever kinda Mutant animals, You DO end up hitting that 90-100 roll to be one with a super power, it states very clearly you can not 'choose' the Animal abilities one. You have to roll it. So... on top of all the above.. you have a 2% chance of hitting Animal Abilities, via the HU book when you roll.

So... the chances of that happening -on demand- when you want/need it to..... you got a 1 in 10 chance of even getting to try, and then a 2% chance, if you mange that one in ten.. to get the boost.

That's ---------Alot------------ of trouble for more bio-e points. It's much easier to talk to the GM and just get him to give a boost in your Bio-E to be able to make a cooler Mutant, than to try and hit that one in how ever many chance that ends up being.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

hollowecho wrote:Where is this tmnt adventures ?

TMNT Adventures is a 48 page... adventure book put out for TMNT and Other Strangeness in 1986, There were at least three reprintings going all the way to 1990, perhaps more, but I know it had at least three. So it's a 28 year old splat book. (Not to be confused with the TMNT Adventures comics which ran for quite a while and have nothing to do with the RPG other than sharing a name)

In said book there's .... three pages pertaining to mutants with super powers. There are a hand full of adventures. One quite good with deadly puzzles and or traps that end up killing high percentage of characters if you can't figure them out in the alotted time. lol

Sadly I'm about 99% sure you cannot buy/ acquire one from palladium any more. Palladium lost the license to TMNT years ago, so I do not think they can sell any they might have/had for profit any longer. Your choices are to

1) Find them used in a store. Unlikely for a 30 year old splat book, but 'possible'
2) Find them on Amazon
3) Find them on Ebay.

Just checked, because my copy is kinda old (and I'll admit. I was going to grab one first if I saw one. lol)

On Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ni ... s=TMNT+rpg
They have them starting at 23 but not in good condition.

There is one selling on Ebay for $23 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Palladium-TMNT- ... 23342432e1

A bit more than I'd pay for a book I already have of that size. It does have some amazing art in it and even a 5 or 6 page comic with the turtles in there. Unique to that book.

Alternatively there is a very.. eclectic bundle on Ebay for $35 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-8-Pallad ... 4179e15bd6

Rifts Conversion book one (older one), Heroes unlimited (1st ed) Rifts Core book (1st ed), After the bomb game shield (and Mutants of the Yukatan little stapled together book), Rifts Cyber knights, TMNT Adventures (and the game shield that came with it) and the RDF manual.

They all seem very used, but it's not a bad price at all for what you get, if you need it.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

DETAILS. The stuff about "you must roll this" is kinda easily ignorable. Seems fairer to just give the AA and 50 bio-e to everyone.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Not really. That signifies that every mutant animal also has free super powers.

Granted you can give extra BioE. I've stated I do. The amount is left up to the GM (if any) but giving them free super powers atop everything else isa significant boost. Not to mention "Details, just ignore the significant stuff" Well yeah you can, but don't paint it as "The book allows it/ fixed it" type thing when ... not really. lol The book allows for a way to get from A to Zed. But statistically speaking it's extremely extremely small of a chance.

If you're going to hand wave and ignore the limitation and specifically pointed out forbidden things (( Simply picking it to get the extra BioE points for free) you're not using the 'rules'.

When you're not using the rules and just making it up. you don't need rules to tell you what you can and can't do.

Which is fine. We all have house rules. Some more than others. It's just not 'Oh this book has ya covered, everyone gets __- and ___ and ___ for free"

hollowecho
Wanderer

I thought I owned every book in the tmnt family.... Must get the book!!!!!
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

It originally came with the game shield too. :)

hollowecho
Wanderer

Wait is it the one with Leo on the front ? Cause I have the shield but not adventures
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

hollowecho
Wanderer

I feel cheated ...I got the screen but never the book. eBay here I go
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Huh! What? There was homework???

Unread post by Trooper Jim »

Rali wrote:I once had a player who created a cat character who did spent all his character's Bio-E on Psionics. It was one of the most interesting characters I've seen.

The character ended up being the inspiration over the years for several more characters that followed the same design and acting as very important figures in Cardania and Gatorland's Intelligence Services, and a secret society of psionics.

This sounds like a very good character idea.
G
Adventurer

Unread post by G »

Rali wrote:I once had a player who created a cat character who did spent all his character's Bio-E on Psionics. It was one of the most interesting characters I've seen.

A normal bird with flight might also work as flight is hard to replace in a scout/spy.

In rifts they use a mini monkey as a spy...which could also work.
The Leynet - The place for TW inventions & hosting RIFTS Fiction
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. - Yoda
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others - Animal Farm.

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”