Transdimensional "Little Girl" from TMNT (Mirage Issue) # 16

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Transdimensional "Little Girl" from TMNT (Mirage Issue) # 16

Unread post by Tor »

I actually got around to reading the issue in question, that story is REALLY depressing. It's like happy go lucky until you really think about what is happening to this character...

I admit part of my interest was due to reading "woah, an IQ of 87? That's the highest I've ever seen!"

I've never really figured out how to do that. The most I think you can get for a mutant human is an IQ of 35 (18+6 bonus + 1 from species + 10 from ExtIQ) and that's not even half what she has.

All I can figure is to treat her as a Hominoid (since they can purchase ExtIQ multiple times), but she's actually way too inhuman to be one of those. I mean, she's even more deformed than the options for reducing to appearance: none under humans allows, and Hominoids get appearance: partial which can't be lowered.

I think I did figure out one means of doing it though. TMNT Adventures has that LFA machine that allows Bio-E to be converted to attributes on a 1:1 basis, so that could probably get her up to 87. While it does mention that the mice took years to get that way, it does mention the process could be streamlined to only take 6 months, which could explain how the Little Girl became sentient in the womb as she did.

What I figure is, it's possible that the LFA project was a precursor to the IQ project that her father was working on (in lieu of developing Cowboy Cola) and that the refined version he worked on was so intense that even the residue from it, regularly exposed to her I assume both in his body and in her mother's, is what allowed that Bio-E buildup and stuff.

Presumably the part about needing to reach 'maximum size' (which, prior to Transdimensional, was 20, why the mice levelled up there) before developing super-powers is bypassed because she didn't actually HAVE super-powers, just a really enhanced IQ.

Edit: just found out this character returns in issue 22 and 23, going to read it now. Epic.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Re: Transdimensional "Little Girl" from TMNT (Mirage Issue)

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Is there some sort of point of reference if we've not read the issue in question?

And did it say she had an IQ of 870? Or 87? Because an IQ of 870 is beyond our level of comprehension. 87, is... the kinda slow kid in your class. Can read, probably but isn't going to ace long division.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

87 in terms of Palladium stats, so 870 IRL assuming an IQstatX10 conversion. The context is talking about high IQs, and her IQ is mentioned as a step above the IQ 47 you need to take Trans-Dimensional Physics and a step below the IQ 100 you need to do some other dramatic thing.

Pg 90 can't be easily misinterpreted when read as a whole: 'an extremely high IQ does more than give a bonus on skills .. it takes an IQ of 30 or better to accurately visualize four-dimensional objects .. even more was needed for the mutant little girl'.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Tor wrote:87 in terms of Palladium stats, so 870 IRL assuming an IQstatX10 conversion. The context is talking about high IQs, and her IQ is mentioned as a step above the IQ 47 you need to take Trans-Dimensional Physics and a step below the IQ 100 you need to do some other dramatic thing.

Pg 90 can't be easily misinterpreted when read as a whole: 'an extremely high IQ does more than give a bonus on skills .. it takes an IQ of 30 or better to accurately visualize four-dimensional objects .. even more was needed for the mutant little girl'.

Still not sure what to really tell you. Anyone with an IQ of 870 would be as uncompromisable to us, as we are to ants.
Forrest Gump had an IQ of 76, and human average is between 85 and 115. So.. sort of look at that, and then try and imagine someone 770 points above average. Roughly 8 times higher.

Is it possible 'In the universe' Sure. Anything's possible. Is it anything we could ever understand? No.

The Estimated IQ's of some people

Bobby Fisher 187
Galileo 185
Darwin 165
Amadeus Mozart 165
Einstein 160
Copernicus 160
Rembrandt 155

So.. the one that most of us could sort of measure against would be Einstein. Even if most can't actually comprehend. So... Yeah. an IQ of 870 would be alien. It's unlikey they could communicate with us. Not easily. Again it'd be like us trying to carry on a conversation about philosophy, astro physics, and the no fly rule, with an Ant or a slug. No matter how hard you try or how hard you try and dumb down what you're talking about there's simply no way you can make them understand. We're not talking about trying to explain complex math to children. It's like you're trying to explain 4 dimensional math to the ant or slug.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I got around to reading the comic. She's very able to communicate with the TMNT and actually seems pretty pleasant and normal, even in her mutated form which is what I think the high IQ is for (for when she designs her time machine). I think her IQ would be lower when she's not mutated, as she mentions she's forgetting things (she changed history where her father took an intelligence-syrum, which made her look like a monster).

I don't think she could necessarily communicate HOW she made the time machine in way we'd understand (we'd probably need at least an IQ of 46 to learn Transdimensional Physics, I think), but she's still able to engage in mundane communications.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

That's great for a comic book. I'm just talking about real life type stuff. Anyone with an IQ that high would be totally alien to us and incomprehensible. Sounds like the comic author just rolled out a big number to look impressive.

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I think you're making a lot of assumptions here. Someone having a higher IQ may mean that they can comprehend things we can not comprehend, but it doesn't mean that we would lack common things we could understand about one another. Someone very intelligent would still be able to engage in rudimentary communication skills.

The comic author didn't roll out any numbers. Her IQ was defined by Erick Wujcik, and this effectively makes her a canonical part of the Palladium Megaverse.

Her 87 is also not even the highest, it also describes requiring needing 100 to do even more advanced feats like altering the laws of physics at the big bang.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

It -is- an assumption because noone has come with in a 4th of that sort of Intelligence. It doesn't change the results though. Someone with an IQ of 870 would be so far beyond our comprehension that it WOULD make us look like slugs trying to speak Japanese, while building a rocket, and writing a rock opera.

Just the difference between people like Einstein and the average joe on the street are breathtaking. And that's only +50 to 70 points. Going +700? We honestly can't imagine what that would be like, other than to know it would be so much higher that it'd be alien to how we see the world.

Their thought process would be so advanced, that to try and communicate with something as far below them as we are, yes, would be like us trying to converse with a slug. Even if it's a bright slug, it's just not set up to comprehend the level at which we function and communicate. Nor are we, as humans, set up to understand how some creature with an IQ approaching 900.

It's more than a matter of talking slow and using small words at that point. Just like if you talk slow to a slug and use small words, the slug still isn't going to understand you. Your concepts are beyond anything it can comprehend. No matter how much you dumb them down.

hollowecho
Wanderer

Unread post by hollowecho »

I have a high I.Q., I can understand things much better then I can articulate them ... That being said I understand what Pepsi Jedi is stating if you watch the tv show "The Big Bang Theory" Sheldon has in IQ of 187. Now he does things that seem normal to him ,but to others are strange and off putting. So if the child had a I.Q. Of 870 , it would seem that you would not to be able to phantom the level of thought processes that this child has. Nor would you want to. It most likely be like meeting God, Odin, and Cthulhu while playing poker ....and no one wants that...
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:I think you're making a lot of assumptions here. Someone having a higher IQ may mean that they can comprehend things we can not comprehend, but it doesn't mean that we would lack common things we could understand about one another. Someone very intelligent would still be able to engage in rudimentary communication skills.

The comic author didn't roll out any numbers. Her IQ was defined by Erick Wujcik, and this effectively makes her a canonical part of the Palladium Megaverse.

Her 87 is also not even the highest, it also describes requiring needing 100 to do even more advanced feats like altering the laws of physics at the big bang.

well sorta kinda (and now ex) canonical part of that former part of the universe that was TMNT. But I would for comparison look at the OTHER 'epitome' of Intelligence Kym-nark-mar who has the second highest printed IQ (41, higher than Thoth, Lord of Wisdom and ex-Old One). Personally? I would say that the 87 was a good example of "lets just throw a really big number out there because it looks cool" <http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PinballScoring <---This Trope Here> and as a way to say "don't worry you'll never be able to do this, but we don't want to say that the source couldn't" (which doesn't apply anymore :P)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

I'm very sure that's --exactly-- what it was. "Lets just throw a really big number out there because it looks cool" with out giving thought to what an IQ of 870 would be. :)

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:It -is- an assumption because noone has come with in a 4th of that sort of Intelligence. It doesn't change the results though. Someone with an IQ of 870 would be so far beyond our comprehension that it WOULD make us look like slugs trying to speak Japanese, while building a rocket, and writing a rock opera.
The issue isn't whether or not lesser being could understand the higher thought processes of the IQ87 genius, but rather, if they could make themselves known. We know, canonically, that they can, because this NPC spoke comprehensible (and casual) English very well.

In terms of both real life and game rules, it's assumption to think that such beings would not be capable of our language.

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Just the difference between people like Einstein and the average joe on the street are breathtaking. And that's only +50 to 70 points. Going +700? We honestly can't imagine what that would be like, other than to know it would be so much higher that it'd be alien to how we see the world.
Our being unable to understand Einstein is not the issue here, it's Einstein's ability to understand us.

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Their thought process would be so advanced, that to try and communicate with something as far below them as we are, yes, would be like us trying to converse with a slug. Even if it's a bright slug, it's just not set up to comprehend the level at which we function and communicate. Nor are we, as humans, set up to understand how some creature with an IQ approaching 900.
If someone were intelligent enough, they could communicate with a slug to whatever degree that slugs communicate.

That we haven't figured out how to is in part due to our stupidity and in part due to lack of interest.

Pepsi Jedi wrote:It's more than a matter of talking slow and using small words at that point. Just like if you talk slow to a slug and use small words, the slug still isn't going to understand you. Your concepts are beyond anything it can comprehend. No matter how much you dumb them down.

If we were smart enough, we could speak to a slug in its own words, assuming it has any.

This isn't about whether or not IQ87 characters can communicate their advanced ideas to lesser beings in their raw form (they can't, they'd have to summarize and simplify them). It's about whether or not they could master rudimentary language, and they clearly can.

hollowecho wrote:I understand what Pepsi Jedi is stating if you watch the tv show "The Big Bang Theory" Sheldon has in IQ of 187. Now he does things that seem normal to him ,but to others are strange and off putting. So if the child had a I.Q. Of 870 , it would seem that you would not to be able to phantom the level of thought processes that this child has. Nor would you want to. It most likely be like meeting God, Odin, and Cthulhu while playing poker ....and no one wants that...

I'd love to meeet Odin in a game of poker, he's got a patch.

Sheldon can seem strange and offputting because he makes obscure references. The girl in Mirage TMNT does this too (randomly comments on components of her time travel machine which readers and Turtles alike would not understand... well maybe Don might, since he makes one later on) but she's also able to make herself understood in casual interaction.

The issue isn't whether or not we can phantom the advanced ideas their IQ brings, just whether or not we can communicate, and we can. The TMNT communicate with her fine, and not just Don either.

eliakon wrote:I would for comparison look at the OTHER 'epitome' of Intelligence Kym-nark-mar who has the second highest printed IQ (41, higher than Thoth, Lord of Wisdom and ex-Old One). Personally? I would say that the 87 was a good example of "lets just throw a really big number out there because it looks cool" <http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PinballScoring <---This Trope Here> and as a way to say "don't worry you'll never be able to do this, but we don't want to say that the source couldn't" (which doesn't apply anymore :P)

I don't care how mad Dragonwright worshippers are, sometimes there are things humans can do that dragons can't.

Pepsi Jedi wrote:I'm very sure that's --exactly-- what it was. "Lets just throw a really big number out there because it looks cool" with out giving thought to what an IQ of 870 would be. :)
Untrue, the section was very much about exploring what higher IQs would be. Erick Wujcik assigned very high IQ requirements for the use of several time-travel and dimension-travel spells and technological devices. Trans-dimensional Physics, for example, not even Kym-nark-mar is smart enough to learn (though he might get a pass). Erick even talked about what an IQ of 100 (1000) would mean. That was the highest tier explored. He wasn't just throwing numbers around, he was thinking it up. The IQ attribute chart in TMNT went higher than Kym-nark-mar.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Tor wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:It -is- an assumption because noone has come with in a 4th of that sort of Intelligence. It doesn't change the results though. Someone with an IQ of 870 would be so far beyond our comprehension that it WOULD make us look like slugs trying to speak Japanese, while building a rocket, and writing a rock opera.
The issue isn't whether or not lesser being could understand the higher thought processes of the IQ87 genius, but rather, if they could make themselves known. We know, canonically, that they can, because this NPC spoke comprehensible (and casual) English very well.

In terms of both real life and game rules, it's assumption to think that such beings would not be capable of our language.

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Just the difference between people like Einstein and the average joe on the street are breathtaking. And that's only +50 to 70 points. Going +700? We honestly can't imagine what that would be like, other than to know it would be so much higher that it'd be alien to how we see the world.
Our being unable to understand Einstein is not the issue here, it's Einstein's ability to understand us.

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Their thought process would be so advanced, that to try and communicate with something as far below them as we are, yes, would be like us trying to converse with a slug. Even if it's a bright slug, it's just not set up to comprehend the level at which we function and communicate. Nor are we, as humans, set up to understand how some creature with an IQ approaching 900.
If someone were intelligent enough, they could communicate with a slug to whatever degree that slugs communicate.

That we haven't figured out how to is in part due to our stupidity and in part due to lack of interest.

Pepsi Jedi wrote:It's more than a matter of talking slow and using small words at that point. Just like if you talk slow to a slug and use small words, the slug still isn't going to understand you. Your concepts are beyond anything it can comprehend. No matter how much you dumb them down.

If we were smart enough, we could speak to a slug in its own words, assuming it has any.

This isn't about whether or not IQ87 characters can communicate their advanced ideas to lesser beings in their raw form (they can't, they'd have to summarize and simplify them). It's about whether or not they could master rudimentary language, and they clearly can.

hollowecho wrote:I understand what Pepsi Jedi is stating if you watch the tv show "The Big Bang Theory" Sheldon has in IQ of 187. Now he does things that seem normal to him ,but to others are strange and off putting. So if the child had a I.Q. Of 870 , it would seem that you would not to be able to phantom the level of thought processes that this child has. Nor would you want to. It most likely be like meeting God, Odin, and Cthulhu while playing poker ....and no one wants that...

I'd love to meeet Odin in a game of poker, he's got a patch.

Sheldon can seem strange and offputting because he makes obscure references. The girl in Mirage TMNT does this too (randomly comments on components of her time travel machine which readers and Turtles alike would not understand... well maybe Don might, since he makes one later on) but she's also able to make herself understood in casual interaction.

The issue isn't whether or not we can phantom the advanced ideas their IQ brings, just whether or not we can communicate, and we can. The TMNT communicate with her fine, and not just Don either.

eliakon wrote:I would for comparison look at the OTHER 'epitome' of Intelligence Kym-nark-mar who has the second highest printed IQ (41, higher than Thoth, Lord of Wisdom and ex-Old One). Personally? I would say that the 87 was a good example of "lets just throw a really big number out there because it looks cool" <http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PinballScoring <---This Trope Here> and as a way to say "don't worry you'll never be able to do this, but we don't want to say that the source couldn't" (which doesn't apply anymore :P)

I don't care how mad Dragonwright worshippers are, sometimes there are things humans can do that dragons can't.

Pepsi Jedi wrote:I'm very sure that's --exactly-- what it was. "Lets just throw a really big number out there because it looks cool" with out giving thought to what an IQ of 870 would be. :)
Untrue, the section was very much about exploring what higher IQs would be. Erick Wujcik assigned very high IQ requirements for the use of several time-travel and dimension-travel spells and technological devices. Trans-dimensional Physics, for example, not even Kym-nark-mar is smart enough to learn (though he might get a pass). Erick even talked about what an IQ of 100 (1000) would mean. That was the highest tier explored. He wasn't just throwing numbers around, he was thinking it up. The IQ attribute chart in TMNT went higher than Kym-nark-mar.

Where are you seeing stuff where it discusses IQ's of over 1000??

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:

That's the point, its STILL just throwing arbitrarily large numbers at something. Its no different than saying "you need x amount of unobtanium to do this, and twice that to do the other." When your 'well thought out examples' consist of ONE character, from a comic book (that isn't even canon for the game, its a source, but the comics themselves were not, as far as I am aware ever declared to be canon.) And no other being in the entire IP (including any of the gods of wisdom, or hyperdimensional time beings, or what have you) are even remotely on that level.....yah its still arbitrary.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

That's unfortunate... turtlepedia lists those issues as "non-canon." Though, due to the nature of time-travel, I could see this arc as being non-canon" since the time travel, by the end of the arc, has changed the timeline so that the bulk of the events don't happen and/or arent't remembered. Also the girl's I.Q. at the beginning of the arc is a plot device; by the end of the arc her I.Q. is back into the realm of possibility.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Where are you seeing stuff where it discusses IQ's of over 1000??
It mentions needing an IQ stat of 100 (in Palladium terms) which would be 1000 in our terms. It's right after Transdimensional Physics, in the paragraph following the mention of her IQ being 87 (in Palladium terms, 870 in ours).

Glistam wrote:That's unfortunate... turtlepedia lists those issues as "non-canon."
Canonicity to TMNT is irrelevant since it's canon to Palladium via being statted :)

Glistam wrote:due to the nature of time-travel, I could see this arc as being non-canon" since the time travel, by the end of the arc, has changed the timeline so that the bulk of the events don't happen and/or arent't remembered.
Her actions, no matter what Transdimensional said, were a paradox, so the only explanation is either Simultaneous used his magic spell to right things, or one of those guys beyond the future barrier did so with their tech. Her invervention resulted in the removal of both her motivation and means to travel back in time. The only way around that is to assume it got ripped out of the timestream and exists as its own null time zone.

Glistam wrote:Also the girl's I.Q. at the beginning of the arc is a plot device; by the end of the arc her I.Q. is back into the realm of possibility.
I imagine when she began looking more human it dropped, though I think it was still exceptional.
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

What book are you reading all of this from Tor?
In my Transdimensional TMNT, the highest IQ requirement is 26 and that is for Cross-Dimensional Physics. There isn't any mention of some little girl nor the functions of an IQ of 100.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Giant2005 wrote:What book are you reading all of this from Tor?
In my Transdimensional TMNT, the highest IQ requirement is 26 and that is for Cross-Dimensional Physics. There isn't any mention of some little girl nor the functions of an IQ of 100.

Page 89-90 of Transdimensional TMNT has a combined list of five "ADVANCED TIME TRAVEL TECHNIQUES, SPELLS and DEVICES" with various I.Q. score minimum prerequisite requirements ranging from 24 through 46. Immediately following is a section called "I.Q. AND THE PROBLEMS OF TIME TRAVEL." This is the section of the book where the girl's I.Q. score is stated to be 87, it is mentioned that an I.Q. score of 30 or higher is necessary to accurately visualize complete four-dimensional objects, and an I.Q. score of 100 or more is required for "the most difficult tasks" - such as making a micro-change at the big bang which completely re-writes the laws of physics as the changer desires. There is also a quote from the girl on page 96 under the section called "TEMPORAL KICKBACK."

Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Glistam wrote:
Giant2005 wrote:What book are you reading all of this from Tor?

Page 89-90 of Transdimensional TMNT has a combined list of five "ADVANCED TIME TRAVEL TECHNIQUES, SPELLS and DEVICES" with various I.Q. score minimum prerequisite requirements ranging from 24 through 46. Immediately following is a section called "I.Q. AND THE PROBLEMS OF TIME TRAVEL." This is the section of the book where the girl's I.Q. score is stated to be 87, it is mentioned that an I.Q. score of 30 or higher is necessary to accurately visualize complete four-dimensional objects, and an I.Q. score of 100 or more is required for "the most difficult tasks" - such as making a micro-change at the big bang which completely re-writes the laws of physics as the changer desires. There is also a quote from the girl on page 96 under the section called "TEMPORAL KICKBACK."

Thanks! I was just looking in the new skills section. Silly me.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Yeah everything is kinda oddly spread out there. The New Skills section has a note about Transdimensional Physics about it being included in the 'Advanced' section due to being so unusual.
DevastationBob
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by DevastationBob »

That issue was done by Mark Martin, creator of Gnatrat. I didn't think his stories were considered canon, especially when Gnatrat eventually shows up.
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

The Turtlepedia says these three issues are considered non-cannon.

DevastationBob
Dungeon Crawler

Of course, maybe they were canon, before the little girl's time-travel disrupted everything....:)
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

DevastationBob wrote:Of course, maybe they were canon, before the little girl's time-travel disrupted everything....:)

Wouldn't be the first time a time traveler's tampering wiped themselves out of existence along with everything they'd done.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
DevastationBob
Dungeon Crawler

And then since they're gone from the timestream, their changes are gone too, so they're back and then they change time and they're erased and the changes go and they're back and.....

ugh.
Nightmask
Palladin

DevastationBob wrote:And then since they're gone from the timestream, their changes are gone too, so they're back and then they change time and they're erased and the changes go and they're back and.....

ugh.

When you wipe yourself from existence like that time doesn't reset and create loops like that (remember in the TMNT setting time tampering causes reality to eventually update to match the cascade effects from the changes as if everything related to it never occurred). You can't have that kind of paradox in TMNT (certainly not by the game rules) as a result, so there is no Grandfather paradox. You can go back, kill your grandfather, reality updates so you never existed with reality accepting that as how it was always.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Glistam wrote:The Turtlepedia says these three issues are considered non-cannon.

That's because the timeline it was in was paradoxical and probably amended by either Time Lords or 3rd Millenial Barrier tenders.

The character is canonical to Palladium though, since she was given a stat.

DevastationBob wrote:Of course, maybe they were canon, before the little girl's time-travel disrupted everything....:)

Quite right. You might as well say that pre-Crisis DC is no longer canon. But that's only respective to the new "Prime Earth" continuity. It still exists multiversally speaking.

It's kind of like how these are different TMNT universe depending on the publisher or TV series. All that non-canon says is that the events took place outside the main Mirage storylines, which is rational since they were extradimensional and eventually had the turtles turning into robots before everything was set right.

Nightmask wrote:When you wipe yourself from existence like that time doesn't reset and create loops like that (remember in the TMNT setting time tampering causes reality to eventually update to match the cascade effects from the changes as if everything related to it never occurred).
Are you basing this on a particular issue or storyline from TMNT? I never found transdimensional particularly clear about these paradoxes, and in the early things with Renet/Simultaneous when Don brought up the problems with them they pretty much laughed it off and 4th wall'd the whole issue.

Nightmask wrote:You can't have that kind of paradox in TMNT (certainly not by the game rules) as a result, so there is no Grandfather paradox. You can go back, kill your grandfather, reality updates so you never existed with reality accepting that as how it was always.
Where does it clarify that this is the case? Pg96's Kickback section only deals with changes, but not the cause-effect problems inherent with grandfather paradoxes. I feel like I'm forgetting a different page/section that addresses grandparent-killing though...

If avoiding paradox were inherent, then it would not have required the girl's super-IQ to avoid doing it, which says to me it isn't inherent.
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Problem with high IQ tends to be insanity.

Example Sheldon Cooper has Asperger syndrome.
Nightmask
Palladin

boxee wrote:Problem with high IQ tends to be insanity.

That's not a problem of a high IQ, given how many 'normal' IQ people are insane you might as well claim the problem of having intelligence is a tendency to insanity.

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:
Nightmask wrote:You can't have that kind of paradox in TMNT (certainly not by the game rules) as a result, so there is no Grandfather paradox. You can go back, kill your grandfather, reality updates so you never existed with reality accepting that as how it was always.
Where does it clarify that this is the case? Pg96's Kickback section only deals with changes, but not the cause-effect problems inherent with grandfather paradoxes. I feel like I'm forgetting a different page/section that addresses grandparent-killing though...

If avoiding paradox were inherent, then it would not have required the girl's super-IQ to avoid doing it, which says to me it isn't inherent.

Was her IQ needed to avoid a paradox, or to make a specific desired alteration? There is a huge difference.

Nightmask
Palladin

eliakon wrote:
Tor wrote:

Was her IQ needed to avoid a paradox, or to make a specific desired alteration? There is a huge difference.

The book itself only references her as having the implausibly high IQ mentioned in regards to her making micro-changes in time to acquire desired outcomes, nowhere does the book refer to temporal paradoxes actually being a problem. In fact the entire 'current time changes in waves to match the new history due to the change' part regarding changing the past makes it pretty obvious that paradox isn't an issue, if it were you couldn't go back and change anything because history couldn't change to wipe you out since you were required to change things.

From the way the book words things basically you can go back and change anything and paradox doesn't exist, history will reset based on the changes you make while leaving you intact because you exist prior to the changes and are part of the changes that were made. They also have it where you get some warning if you're good at noticing things to potentially stop the events if you have a time machine available.

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Nope. His mom had him tested.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

High IQ does not automatically mean insanity. though to people who's brains aren't wired for that level of brain function, sometimes a really smart person can end up with traits that make them seem crazy. saying seemingly unrelated things (because they ran through thought processes and mental connections that wouldn't occur that quick or at all in others) for example..

one reason i rather like A Conan Doyles Sherlock Holmes. while the stories themselves are limited by the timeperiod they were written in, the odd quirks of Holmes are very realistic in depicting someone of a high IQ who's applied himself to a subject. as are the amazed reactions of the other characters to Holmes's knowledge and deductions.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Nightmask wrote:

That's not a problem of a high IQ, given how many 'normal' IQ people are insane you might as well claim the problem of having intelligence is a tendency to insanity.

Sorry was not trying to inslut anyone.
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:

Lol, thats odd, I was watching a show on the show, they talked about Sheldon Cooper having that, maybe they just wanted him to act that way? no empathy etc.?
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

boxee wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:

Lol, thats odd, I was watching a show on the show, they talked about Sheldon Cooper having that, maybe they just wanted him to act that way? no empathy etc.?

Some people speculate that he has such. It's never stated on the show and there are aspects that very much do not present on the autism spectrum.

He's just very weird.

It's a running gag in the show when someone calls him Crazy, he goes 'Nu uh! I'm not crazy! My mother had me tested"

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

boxee wrote:Problem with high IQ tends to be insanity. Example Sheldon Cooper has Asperger syndrome.
Since when has Asperger's Syndrome (or even basic autism) been defined as an 'insanity' by Palladium?

That would simply be an issue of a low MA, I think.

Nightmask wrote:The book itself only references her as having the implausibly high IQ mentioned in regards to her making micro-changes in time to acquire desired outcomes, nowhere does the book refer to temporal paradoxes actually being a problem.
It doesn't have to. It's inherently a problem. If you can kill your grandfather, then who killed him if you were never born? An unborn spectre?

Nightmask wrote:the entire 'current time changes in waves to match the new history due to the change' part regarding changing the past makes it pretty obvious that paradox isn't an issue, if it were you couldn't go back and change anything because history couldn't change to wipe you out since you were required to change things.
It never makes this clear. For all we know, all issues of such paradoxes are fixed by the Time Lords before they can create a problem. The wave delay may just give them time to do it.

Nightmask wrote:From the way the book words things basically you can go back and change anything and paradox doesn't exist, history will reset based on the changes you make while leaving you intact because you exist prior to the changes and are part of the changes that were made. They also have it where you get some warning if you're good at noticing things to potentially stop the events if you have a time machine available.
Where does it say you will remain intact if you kill your grandparent?

boxee wrote:was not trying to inslut anyone.
:mrgreen:

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”